The Girl From Six Years Ago

I See You When I Close My Eyes [PG-13]

“Is that…”

“Now, please introduce yourself,” the teacher said to the new student as she gave her the floor.

“Hello everyone. My name is Yuri Kwon,” the student told the class as she bowed slightly as a sign of respect.

“Yuri? Could it really be you?” Jessica thought to herself as her eyes widened in disbelief.

“I was previously studying in an all-girls school which focused on the performing arts. I specialized in singing and dancing and I was also honored as one of the best in those particular areas.”

At this point, Jessica was staring at Yuri, but her mind was elsewhere. She was too stunned at the moment for her brain to function normally.

“I was part of an exchange program which aims to spread the performing arts in other schools and other parts of the country. That is how I ended up here. Now, I will be helping you take care of your musical, and I hope you’ll take care of me as well,” Yuri ended her speech and she bowed once more.

Without any orders from the teacher, the students gave Yuri a round of applause. It was probably because they have never seen anyone like her. She was gorgeous from head to toe and she was very talented; an all-around woman.

“Now, Ms. Kwon. As you may know, you will be playing one of the two lead roles in the musical. I give you the power to choose the other one.”

“Well, if that’s the case… then….” Yuri looked around the classroom and she focused her eyes on a girl who was sitting at the back row. “Then I choose her.”

“Jessica? Are you sure?” The teacher asked Yuri as she looked at her ridiculously. “Well, good luck with that.”

“Me? Wh… wha… me?” Jessica went back to reality as she hears her name being called.

“Yes. I choose Jessica. I’m sure.”

“So, it seems like Jessica will play the other lead role.”

“What?! Me?!” Jessica yelled out in disagreement as she gets up from her seat. “I don’t even sing!”

“Don’t worry. I can teach you well,” Yuri told Jessica. “Excuse me Miss Lee. Would it be alright if Jessica and I would have one-on-one practices for a few days until she learns?”

“I don’t think that would be good for the musical. We only have three months ‘til the presentation.”

“But it’ll only take a few days. It will be essential for the musical.”

“Well… alright,” the teacher finally agreed. “But only a few days okay?”

“But…”

“No buts Jessica. You won’t graduate high school if you don’t become a part of this,” the teacher told Jessica as she put her hands on her hips.

“Can’t I just take small roles or be part of the food department?” Jessica argued as she nearly kneeled down to plead.

“It’s already been finished Jessica. Nothing can be done about the roles and assignments anymore.”

“But…”

“Now, if you have no other questions, then let’s proceed to our respective places. The musical group will stay at the auditorium and the food group will stay in the classroom. You two,” the teacher continued as she looked at the excited new student and the disappointed Jessica. “You two can stay wherever you want; wherever you think is best.”

As soon as the teacher finished talking, majority of the class start walking out of the classroom. As the rest proceed to the auditorium, Jessica and Yuri walk the second floor corridors to find a good place to practice.

“So, you’re Yuri right?” Jessica asked awkwardly.

“Oh come on Jessica. I know you still remember me,” Yuri replied as she punched Jessica lightly on the arm.

“Yeah, I still do. I’m guessing you still remember me too,” Jessica answered back as she rubbed her arm.

“Well, how have you been?”

“I’ve been good. You?”

“I’m guessing that I’m doing better than you,” Yuri playfully answered.

“So, why did you choose me?”

“Cause you’re the only one I trust.”

“But why did you act like you didn’t know me?”

“Because the others would think that I chose you because I knew you, and that wouldn’t be fair for them. You know, a lot of your classmates actually want your role,” Yuri answered calmly. “Now, let me ask you a question.”

“Um. Yeah. Sure,” Jessica agreed in an awkward manner.

“The way you reacted when Miss Lee confirmed that you would be paired with me,” Yuri started. “It seemed like you didn’t want to be with me. Why was that? Don’t you like me?”

“It’s not… no… it’s not that… I mean… you… yes… I like you…” Jessica stuttered. “But I just wanted to avoid the awkward atmosphere that would likely be present.”

“Awkward?” Yuri asked, confused. “Why awkward?”

“Well… you know…” Jessica said as she fiddled with her fingers. “That afternoon after school… when we…”

“Oh,” Yuri interrupted. “That.”

“Yeah.”

“You still remember that?” Yuri asked as she giggled. “Come on. That was nothing. Forget about that. It’s just part of a teenager’s curiosity. Besides, you don’t have any other choice but to practice with me.”

“Why is that?”

“If you don’t practice, you won’t perform well in the musical, and if that happens, you’re not bound for graduation,” Yuri threatened with a smile.

“Is that so?” Jessica replied coolly. “Fine. Let’s do this then. Where are we going to practice,” Jessica continued as she tried to get rid of the awkward atmosphere between them.

“Right. Here’s the perfect place,” Yuri replied as they stop walking in front of a room.

“The janitor’s closet?”

“Yeah.”

“Why there? Wouldn’t it be too crowded?”

“Come on. There’s only two of us. How will it be crowded?” Yuri answered as she grabs the doorknob. Besides, it’ll be good for vocalization. The acoustics will be better here.”

“Fine,” Jessica agreed as she followed behind Yuri.

The two girls enter the room one at a time and Jessica shut the door after both of them got in. Unfortunately, the single light bulb which was supposed to illuminate the room wasn’t .

“Turn on the lights, Jessica,” Yuri ordered as she looked for the switch as well.

“I’m trying to find it too,” Jessica responded as she moved her feet blindly with her arms in front of her.

Soon, both of them kept on bumping into each other as they made their way all over the small room in search for the light switch. As Jessica made her fourth or fifth revolution around the room, she bumped into Yuri once again. This time, both of them were walking at a faster rate, thus, they bump into each other with more force. After they collided, Yuri fell backwards and lay flat on the floor while Jessica crashed down on top of her.

“Oww!” Yuri yelled out as she winced in pain after Jessica landed on her.

“Sorry! Sorry! Sorry!” Jessica apologized as she tries to lift herself up.

“Ow! Why do you have to put your hands there?!” Yuri screamed at Jessica.

Jessica tried to push herself up, but instead of pushing up on the floor, she accidentally placed one of her hands on Yuri’s face.

“Oh God! I’m sorry! I didn’t mean to,” Jessica apologized once more as she rolled off of the helpless girl.

As Jessica rolled on the floor, she bumped into the closet’s door. She sat up and reached for the doorknob and she pulled the door open. Sunlight burst into the room as it was lit up. Finally, Jessica found the light switch just beside the door. She stood up and flicked it open. Then, she shut the door and bent down beside Yuri.

“Are you okay?” Jessica asked the seemingly injured girl. “I’m sorry. I didn’t mean to–”

“It’s okay,” Yuri replied as Jessica helped her up. “I shouldn’t have shouted at you like that.”

“It’s my fault. I shouldn’t have closed the door ‘til I found the switch.”

“Yet, I shouldn’t have gotten angry.”

“But I touched you inappropriately and caused you pain.”

“I’m sorry,” they both said at the same time.

“It’s okay,” they say simultaneously once more.

The two girls just laugh at the situation and they were able to forgive each other for the little thing that happened.

“Shall we sit down?” Yuri suggested as she smiled at her company.

“Let’s,” Jessica agreed as they crossed their feet and sat on the cold, wooden floor.

“Shall we start?”

“Let’s.”

“Well, since this is a musical, you should expect a lot of scenes where you have to sing and dance,” Yuri started to explain. “I think it would be better if we start with singing.”

“I’ve never performed in front of a crowd before,” Jessica interrupted. “Are you sure you want me to play the other lead role?”

“Like I’ve said before, you’re the only one I can trust amongst all the students here,” Yuri replied. “And don’t worry. I’ll teach you well.”

The two start their one-on-one session with a few vocal exercises to warm up their vocal chords. After a few more minutes, they continue to the next part of the practice session.

“Jessica,” Yuri asked. “Can you sing a song for me?”

“Right now?”

“Yes.”

“I…”

“Come on,” Yuri interrupted. “It’s just the two of us.”

“Well, you sing a song first, then I’ll go next,” Jessica suggested.

“Okay,” Yuri agreed. “But promise me you’ll sing after.”

“I promise.”

“Then, I’ll sing ‘Heaven’ by Bryan Adams,” Yuri said.

Yuri started singing the first verse f the song, and Jessica listened with both her ears and eyes.

“Oh, thinkin’ about our younger years ~ there was only you and me~ we were young and wild and free~”

The modern, yet still angelic voice of Yuri melted every word of every line into Jessica’s ears.

“Now, nothing can take you away from me~ we’ve been down that road before~ but that’s over now, you keep me coming back for more~”

Her eyes feasted on the effortless image that Yuri’s face showed as she filled the small room with a pure and magnificent mini-performance.

“And baby you’re all that I want~ when you’re lying here in my arms~ I’m finding it hard to believe, we’re in heaven~”

Though that was the case, her face still showed plenty of emotion and Jessica can’t help but admire it.

“Love is all that I need~ and I found it there in your heart~ it isn’t too hard to see, we’re in heaven~”

Soon, the song was ing and Jessica involuntarily closed her eyes and held her chest as the music coming from the other girl’s mouth caressed her ears. But soon enough, the song was over and it was Jessica’s turn.

“Your turn Jessica,” Yuri told the other girl as she finished her demo performance. “Jessica?”

Jessica’s eyes were still closed, and her hands were still clasping her chest. Her lips formed a smile and it never faded; not even once. The memories she wanted to forget were now upon her. She never wanted to remember them, but here they were, in her head, making her smile. It was probably either the song, or the one who was singing it, which was causing her to reminisce one of the few memories she had with Yuri six years ago. For six years, the thoughts never entered her mind, but now that the one who caused those were in front of her, she can’t help but recall it all in her head.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

It was a cloudy afternoon. It was a few minutes before six in the evening. The fifteen year old girl named Jessica and her friend, Yuri went straight to Yuri’s house after school. Jessica told her mom that it was for a project, an experiment, and Yuri told her parents the same thing, but with a few more details. No one was home, besides the two of them, and they decided to make great use of the opportunity. They entered through the house’s front door and they locked it behind them. They went up the stairs to Yuri’s room and they were planning to enter it soon.

“Jessi,” Yuri stopped as she clutched the doorknob. “Are you sure you want to go through with this?”