Good Luck! Why?

Repeat After Me~

 12:10 pm.

“Stop worrying. You look fine.” Lily’s voice reassured through the speakers on my laptop.

I did a three sixty turn showing off my casual white dress. It took almost three hours the night before until I found something I thought was ‘appropriate’ for meeting the boys of my dreams. Lily cleared .

I plopped down on my bed and adjusted the camera so she could see my face.

“I still can’t believe this.” She yawned trying to stay awake. I think it was almost eight o’ clock the night before.

“I know right?!” I giggled with happiness.

Lily looked away for a second. “Look, I realize these are your idols and all but-…”

I wasn’t really paying attention and began flipping through the boys’ files. “Hmm? What?”

“Listen to me!” Her tone was harsh and I immediately dropped the papers on my lap. “You have a job to do. You need to act professional.”

A little hurt, I blinked away the severity in her tone. “I know.” How was I supposed to act after being told I’d be meeting people whose songs lulled me to sleep? Going to Seoul was a dream in and of itself but this, this unrealistic dream, already so real, made me dizzy with joy.

Lily sighed. “Alright then, that’s all I wanted to say.” She smiled. “You really do look super cute though!”

“Thanks.” I smiled back, a bit weaker then I wanted too. “I should get going. Love you.”

“Love you too.” The screen shook and then the connection was lost.

I closed my laptop and made my way downstairs.

 

12:31 pm.

“The van’s late…” Nervously I swayed back and forth, grasping tightly to the strap of my purse. Impatiently I looked down both sides of the street. Nothing.

Maybe I was just dreaming when all that happened? Yea, that’s probably it. I should just turn around and-…

I was in mid motion about to head back inside when the black van, as promised, had screeched to a halt in front of me. The passenger’s door opened and a man stepped out. He wore street clothes and really dark sunglasses. He grinned and approached me with his hand outstretched.

“Hello. Might you be Jade?” He asked.

I shook his hand without thinking. “Yes, that’s me.”

“I’m Manager Kim.” He opened the side door for me. “Sorry we’re running a little late.”

I hopped in and shook my head. “Oh it’s no problem!” He smiled shut the door and reclaimed his seat on he passenger’s side.

I caught his eyes in the rearview mirror. “You speak Hangul very well! It’s good to have found a reliable tutor at last.” He gestured for the driver to go.

“Oh, thank you! I didn’t realize it was so hard to find an English teacher.”

He chuckled. “It’s not.”

“Then why-…?” I muttered.

He adjusted himself in his seat so that he was now leaning on the arm rest facing me. “The boy’s request woman tutors. Surrounded by men all day gets tiring.” He laughed awkwardly. “But it just so happens the women we do find, who come highly qualified, end up being obsessive fans of the group.”

Instinctively I turned away hoping he wouldn’t notice the guilt in my eyes. Thankfully he mistook my reaction for shock.

“It actually gets pretty scary for them.” He shifted back into his original position slightly leaning back in his seat. “But we’ve brought you from America. Chances were slim that you’ve ever heard of them, right?”

I opened my mouth to reply but only air came out. I gulped. “That’s right. Never heard of them.”

No one actually knew I had this weird Super Junior obsession other than Lily and Minju. I kept myself a closet fan, only listening to their music and watching their videos behind closed doors. In truth, I was much too busy to be obsessed fully like most girls get. I wanted too but I just couldn’t. My parents didn’t really help much either. I grew up with two cultured parents who immersed me in both sides of their traditions. If they knew I was into Korean culture as much I was they would be disappointed that I put it before my own culture.

The van was silent for the next ten minutes. Manager Kim mostly talked on his cell phone after our short conversation. I felt like a small child who had just broken a vase and lied to her parents about it. It was strange how my excitement just died as we reached the boys’ dorm.  I was literally jerked from the uneasiness as the van stopped in an alleyway.

“We’ll have to go in through the side doors.” Manager Kim sighed.

I turned to look out the tinted windows. A few girls ran across behind the van. The boys’ had no activities for the next couple of weeks so they were most likely to be in their dorms more. Even though this was something I had read from the profiles, I already knew. Fans were ready to snatch a picture or even just a side glance from their oppas.

The driver opened the door and I quickly go out of the van following Manager Kim through the doors leading inside the building.

“YAH! How am I supposed to get out with all those fans blocking the entrance?!”

I knew that voice. Oh gawd…I knew that voice.

“Yesung-ssi. Where are you going?” Manager Kim asked as he came down the stairwell.

Breathe…I had to remind myself. I literally bit my tongue in order to keep from squealing out loud and tackling Yesung to the ground.

His eyes drifted from Manager Kim to where I stood behind him. “Hyung, one of them got in!”

WHAT?! Me? I furrowed my brows and bit my lip.

Manager Kim scoffed. “She’s not an ELF. She’s the new English teacher.”

Yesung ran a hand through his already messy hair. “Well I can’t stay for the lesson today. I need some fresh air. Is the van still outside?”

“Yes, but-…”

The obviously irritated idol brushed passed me, nearly running into my shoulder.

Manager Kim sighed and waved it off. “Just let him go then. Let’s see how many of them are actually there.”

I wonder what was wrong with him. That definitely wasn’t the first impression I was hoping to make. My steps mirrored Manager Kim’s as we made our way up the stair case. We took an elevator to the eleventh floor.

He pulled out his key and opened the door to the dorm. I swear I felt time stop moving. Everything was slowed and I could hear the beating of my heart pounding inside my ears. This was it. This was the moment where my dreams became reality.

“Who’s this?”

My mind snapped back into the real world as the somewhat callous words cut across. Kangin stood only a few feet from us, glaring. I came around so that I was standing next to Manager Kim inside of the room.

“Don’t be rude.” Leeteuk appeared from the kitchen, coming over to us. He smiled at e before turning to Manager Kim. “Does she speak, Hangul?”

I blinked out of my comatose and answered before Manager Kim. “Yes, I do. I studied for a year and a half.”

“OH! IS THAT HER?! Eunhyuk came rushing out from one of the rooms, wearing pajamas. He stared at me. “You speak Hangul?! You’re not Korean!” He seemed disappointed and walked off.

Kangin quietly slipped away as well from where we stood. I looked up at Manager Kim. My body was shaking from the excitement but I played it off as nerves fairly well.

“Can I please trust you guys not to scare her away on the first day?” Manager Kim looked at Leeteuk sternly.

Leeteuk smirked and grabbed my hand. OMO…what?! I looked at him, my ears felt like they were going to burst into flames.

“Don’t worry I‘ll make sure they don’t.” Leeteuk said leading me away from Manager Kim and into the living room.

“Good luck!” I heard Manager Kim call from behind us.

Good Luck?! What would I need luck with? I was the luckiest girl in the world right now! At least, that's what I thought.