Encounter

Into Another World

7/14/11

Okay, a bit of action from me and from my story:P Enjoy!

____________________________________________________________________________________________

            Bom opened her eyes. She looked around, realizing that she wasn’t in her own room. Oh, right. She thought.I’m in Terra. I’ve been here for a week already. She sighed. Although Bom enjoyed Alana and Alfonso’s hospitality and getting to know more about Youngbae, she still missed her own home. Alfonso told her that although he’s been searching for nine years, he still hasn’t found a way to transport someone back to Earth. Suddenly, she heard a knock from the door. Bom quickly called out, “Yes?”

            “Bom dear,” Alana’s voice resounded from the door. “Breakfast is ready.”

            “Oh, okay,” Bom replied. “Thank you so much Alana.”

            Quickly putting on day clothes and brushing her hair, Bom ‘slid’ out of the door and went to the kitchen. When she arrived, Alana was finishing cooking an omelet. Looking up from her frying pan, Alana smiled at Bom. “Oh, who would have known that my old clothes would fit you so well!”

            Bom smiled and looked down at what she was wearing. It was a brown, old-fashioned dress with a little white apron in the front. Back on Earth, she would only wear this type of clothing during Halloween. “Haha, thank you Alana. I must say, you had quite a figure when you were younger. The waist is a bit tight on me.”

            Letting out a laugh, Alana beckoned Bom to sit down. “I have to admit that I was one of the prettier village girls in the Nod, but I was nowhere near as pretty as Alesnia. She was the village favorite.”

            As Bom sat down, she realized that she was the only one at the table. “Where are Youngbae and Alonso?”

            “Oh, they are already working,” Alana replied as she sat down opposite of Bom.

            “Really? Did I sleep in today?”

            “Yes. It seems like you have a nightmare last night.”

            “Oh, I did?” Bom was puzzled. “How do you know?”

            “Well, in this region, nightmares are an omen. It means that something big is going to happen the next day,” Alana explained. “It is our culture to say that if someone wakes up at a different time than usual, he or she had a nightmare.

            “Youngbae woke up a bit early today, so I guess he also had a nightmare,” Alana thought over as she bit into her omelet. “Something must be happening today that involves the two of you. Be careful of where you go today.”

            “Oh? I was thinking about exploring the Rainbow Forest,” Bom said. “It should be okay to go there, right?”

            “Hmm, take this with you just in case,” Alana stood up and went to the cabinet next to the stove. She took out two identical picnic baskets made out of straw. “I bought these two baskets from a traveling salesman one day. You know, these two baskets are magic. If you put something inside one basket, that thing transfers to the other basket.”

            “Really?” Bom stood up to get a better look. “So they are kind of like telephones, except for material things.”

            Alana looked up, eyebrows furrowed, “What are telephones?”

                                 ::::

            “Youngbae! Youngbae!” Someone was shouting his name. Looking up, Youngbae saw Alana running toward him, holding a picnic basket.

            “Ma, what happened?” Youngbae asked as soon as Alana was close enough to hear him.

            Alana was taking deep breaths to steady her breathing, “Bom. She was. She went to the Rainbow Forest a bit before noon.”

            Bom. Something must have happened to her. Youngbae tried to keep his voice calm, “Take it easy, Ma. Everything will be alright. Just tell me what happened.”

            “Bom wanted to go to the Rainbow Forest today,” Alana started. “But since both you and she had nightmares last night, I figured that it would be safer if she carried the picnic baskets we bought from the traveling salesman.

            “Everything was alright at first. Bom occasionally dropped a few leaves into the basket to show that she was safe, but after a few hours, the leaves started getting darker and started smelling burnt. After that, I haven’t been able to get in contact with Bom.”

            “You mean she’s lost in the Rainbow Forest?” Youngbae asked, already knowing the answer. His heart started racing. What if it’s starting?

           Alana nodded. “But it’s not the typical Rainbow Forest. Some magic is happening inside the forest. I’ve never seen any leaves darker than emerald green in that forest and I definitely have never smelt anything burnt.”

            “I’m going to look for her,” Youngbae hurried to get his jacket.

                                                                                                     ::::

            Bom finally realized what her nightmare was. She finally remembered it because she was living in it. After a few hours, Bom started noticing that the leaves grew darker and the bird chirps disappeared. When Bom turned around to go back, the light road that that led her back to the cottage suddenly disappeared. The road turned pitch black. All of a sudden, the day turned into the night.

            Goosebumps appeared on her arms and images of snakes with fangs started flashing before her eyes. Well, it’s no use just standing here doing nothing, she thought to herself. I’ll just try and remember the way back. However, with the difference in lighting, everything looked different and indistinguishable. The more Bom walked, the more lost she felt.

            Suddenly, she heard a snap of a twig from far away. She froze. What if it’s that snake that I was dreaming about? Fear overwhelmed her heart, and she felt her heart beat faster. Can it track my scent? Does it even know how I smell like?

            Trying her best to stay still, Bom darted her eyes around the black abyss. Then, another twig snapped, a bit louder than the last. Preparing herself to run in the opposite direction from the sound, Bom waited, straining to hear the sound of another twig snap.

            She thought she’d never hear it when she felt something grab her arm. No! How did it come so close without making any sound? Struggling to free herself from the thing’s grasp, Bom twisted and turned her arm, not caring about the burning sensation in her arm from the friction. All she could think about was freeing herself from its hold.

            “Wait, Bom,” the thing said. Bom continued struggling, not quite processing the words. “Bom, it’s me.”

            She stopped struggling, recognizing the voice. “Youngbae?”

            “Yeah.”

            But Bom couldn’t make out his face. It was too dark. “How come I didn’t hear you approach me?”

            “Umm, I’ll tell you about that sometime later. Let’s just get out of here.”

            She felt him grab her hand and lead her toward a direction. Is it really him? Bom couldn’t help feeling suspicious. “Youngbae, how come you can see where you’re going?”

            “I’ve always had good nightvision,” he replied.

            There was no way to prove whether or not he was Youngbae. Unless...

            “Hey, Youngbae, what’s my favorite color?”

            “Green.”

            “My favorite food?”

            “Corn.”

            “My favorite fairytale?”

            “Alice in Wonderland.”

            Well, it’s probably Youngbae. “How are you able to say the answers so quickly? Don’t you have to think about them?”

            “They just pop up in my mind, so I don’t have to think too much about it,” he replied, still leading her to some unknown place. “Come on, let’s hurry up and get out of here. I have a bad feeling about this place.”

            Bom scoffed. “Well, no duh. This forest that is supposedly called the Rainbow Forest suddenly becomes pitch black. Who wouldn’t have a bad feeling?”

            Suddenly bumping into his back, Bom realized that Youngbae stopped walking. He cursed under his breath. “What’s the matter?”

            “There’s a huge cobra right in front of us,” he replied without emotion.

            Bom only realized that Youngbae’s presence calmed her down when her heart started beating rapidly again. “Th-That’s nice to know.”

            At the blink of an eye, Bom felt herself being picked up by something slippery. That must be the cobra.

            “Bom!” Youngbae shouted.

            She felt snake tightening around her, preventing her from moving about. I can’t believe it. I’m finally reunited with him, and this happens? Then, for the first time in hours, Bom saw a flicker of red light. The light grew larger and turned into a flame. It’s coming from Youngbae’s hand! The fire was directed right at the cobra and Bom, and a flicker of blue light glowed from her chest. The next thing she knew, Bom was surrounded by ice.

                                                                                      ::::::::::

            Youngbae was shocked. What just happened? Looking at the ground, he saw Bom surrounded in a block of ice. He went over and sat next to her, still pondering the event that just occurred.

            For some reason, when Bom was picked up by the cobra, Youngbae’s necklace started glowing bright red. Heat coursed through his veins, and as he instinctively raised his right hand, fire shot out from his palm. One second after, he saw Bom’s pendant glow bright blue, and she was suddenly surrounded by ice. Well, the good thing is she wasn’t hurt by the fire. I did it so instinctively that I didn’t even care that she was right in front of me when I shot out fire. Afterwards, the cobra dropped Bom and ran away after it realized that it was being attacked.

            He looked down at Bom, who was still encompassed in ice. What should I do? Youngbae asked himself. He looked down at his palm, which was still hot from the fire. How did that happen? My hand doesn’t look burnt at all.

            Placing his hand on the block of ice, Youngbae noticed that the ice was slowly melting away because of the heat of his palm. With that, Youngbae thought. If I can make fire again, I can unfreeze Bom. It’s the only way.

            Youngbae closed his eyes, trying to recall the feelings that he felt when he first drew fire from his palm. Feelings of regret and panic surrounded his thoughts, and through his closed eyelids, he saw a faint glow coming from his pendant. Heat rushed from the pendant to his heart, and the fire travelled wildly through his veins, gathering into his outstretched hand. As Youngbae opened his eyes, he saw the bright red and orange glow of fire light up the block of ice from his right hand.

            The ice slowly melted away. Youngbae was sure to keep a safe distance between his fire and Bom so that she won’t be burnt. After all the ice had melted away and Bom’s clothes were dried, Youngbae finally put down his arm and sat back down on the floor, exhausted. He furrowed his eyebrows. Why isn’t she waking up?

__________________________________________________________________________________________

LoveLikeChocolate: Ooh! I love Harry Potter! It's an honor to be compared to the series:D Are you going to see the last movie tomorrow?

laDy_akhee: Teehee. I believe that will come in around two chapters ;)

Genesishkreal: Thanks for your interest! Lol, and sorry about the lack of updates! I'll try to post the next one a bit sooner.:)