Chapter 6

Can It Be Love?

            Sungmin was the first to pull away, unable to help the smile that curled at his lips. “Bold move, yeah?” He laughed softly and sniffled, bringing his hands up to his eyes and rubbing them.

            “I’m sorry…” Kangin started, but Sungmin just shook his head. “No, really. I feel like that kid put you through enough today. I didn’t mean for it to seem like…” He trailed off, directing his gaze away from the other.

            The younger just shook his head again and took a deep breath. Maybe he should have been bothered by the kiss, but he wasn’t. It felt a lot different than when Kyuhyun kissed him—granted that Kyu kind of forced it. It made Sungmin’s heart flutter a bit, sort of like how fairy tales must feel? He wasn’t sure. “It’s really okay, hyung. I-I liked it…” Sungmin said shyly, his cheeks red. “But why?” He was genuinely curious. As much as he was grateful for Kangin being there for him, they really didn’t know each other very well. They were just classmates. Even though Sungmin acted like they were closer than they were, he knew they weren’t—at least not yet.

            Kangin blushed, having been caught off guard by the question. Sighing, he finally looked up to match the smaller boy’s gaze. “I, uh… I don’t know, to be honest. Never really done that before. Can’t really explain…” Sungmin tilted his head slightly and Kangin continued, “I’m usually not the kind of person to do that. Or really to do this.”

            “What do you mean?” The younger asked.

            “It’s…unlike me to help people like this, I guess,” Kangin admitted. “Normally I probably would have just let you guys deal with whatever it was yourselves. I don’t like getting involved in people’s personal . Not my business.”

            Sungmin nodded, looking down at his lap. “Well… I’m glad that you were there. And I’m glad we’re here now,” he said smiling. Though he wanted to know what the kiss meant for them—if it even meant anything. He reached up, letting his fingertip brush Kangin’s lip before blushing and retracting his hand, looking away. “Um. I don’t know what to do. About Kyuhyun, that is,” he started, trying to get his mind on something else. “Should I go back to the dorm? Would that be bad? Are we still friends? Hyung, Kyuhyunnie is my best friend…” he trailed off, frowning now.

            “Even after all this he put you through today?” Kangin asked, actually confused. Why would Sungmin still want to be friends with someone who seemed to have hurt him so much? “If I were you I’d kick his to the curb.” Sungmin bit his lip at the statement—was he going to cry again? “But what the hell do I know,” the older said in recovery, not wanting the boy to become upset again. “As for what to do…that’s really up to you. If you wanna face him, go ahead.”

            Sungmin stood up and started to make his way to the door, but felt a soft grip around his wrist. “Want me to go with you?” Kangin asked, though unsure why. The younger just shook his head anyway.

            “I’ll be fine.” Sungmin gave Kangin’s hand a gentle squeeze before looking up into his eyes and giving him a weak smile. Without a thought, he got on his toes and pecked Kangin on the lips, then let go of his hand and was out the door in an instant, leaving the older male standing at the door feeling as puzzled as ever.

Kangin closed the door and took a seat on his couch, rubbing his forehead and sighing, “What the hell.”

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

            When he arrived back to his dorm, Sungmin hesitantly opened the door to his and Kyuhyun’s shared room, peeking his head in to see if the other was there. To his surprise, Kyuhyun was there, and he was passed out. He figured that meant it was safe for now to come in, being as quiet as a mouse as he moved to sit at his desk to try and work on some homework. Sungmin had a calc test in a few days and he wasn’t going to let any feelings—his own or someone else’s—take his focus away from what’s important.

            After about an hour, movement could be heard from across the room and Sungmin’s hand froze, stopping in the middle of a problem he was working on. “How long have you been here?” Kyuhyun said, glaring at the back of Sungmin’s head.

            “Maybe an hour?” Sungmin said as he placed the pencil on his desk, slowly turning around to see Kyuhyun’s puffy eyes and red nose, his gaze immediately shooting down to the ground as guilt flowed through him. “Kyu, I-I’m sorry. But…you really hurt me,” Sungmin started.

            “I hurt you?” Kyuhyun exclaimed angrily, cutting the other off. “I’m pretty sure I’m the one putting myself out there only for you to stomp on my feelings.”

            At the accusation, Sungmin quickly got to his feet, anger seeping through him. “You get jealous for no reason. You get angry if I have other friends. You are possessive of someone you’re not even dating. And you are the one that grabbed me and kissed me really hard. It hurt, Kyuhyun. And you didn’t even ask if you could do that.” The older boy was shaking at this point, never having yelled at his best friend before—or really anyone for that matter. “You’re supposed to be my best friend and yet you didn’t care at all about how I felt,” Sungmin continued, tears welling up in his eyes.

            At this point, Kyuhyun could no longer look into Sungmin’s eyes, knowing that this was indeed all his fault and he didn’t know why he did all of it. “I just…I love you, Sungmin-ah,” the younger said softly, biting his lip, his cheeks starting to redden again as he was about to cry, too.

            Sungmin’s brows furrowed at the attempted endearment, unsure why the other would even go there at this point. “If you love me then why did you do this to me?” He asked, knowing he probably wasn’t going to get an actual answer, since the answer would just be ‘because I love you.’ Not giving Kyuhyun a chance to even try to answer, Sungmin continued, “Maybe if you gave me more time… Maybe I could have felt something. These last few weeks have been so confusing. But you’ve always been sweet and cared for me. I figured maybe I could feel something for you, but now…” He trailed off, gritting his teeth as he stared down at his feet.

            “But now I’ve ruined everything?” Kyuhyun finished the sentence for him, his hands balled into fists. “I’m sorry, Sungmin. I know you probably won’t forgive me, but in truth I can’t forgive you either,” he said, knowing full well it was himself that he couldn’t forgive, not Sungmin, but for some reason he couldn’t admit that. His own words stung him probably as much as it did Sungmin. “I’ve done so much for you… How could you destroy all of this?”

            “I haven’t destroyed anything… I cared about you, too, Kyuhyun. But I guess my friendship wasn’t good enough for you,” Sungmin argued, his voice cracking toward the end. He was feeling his heart breaking and he didn’t know what to do. He’s losing his best friend and it honestly made him want to vomit. Why was this happening? “P-Please don’t do this, Kyu…” Sungmin begged, starting to sob. “I love you as a friend. My best friend. My only best friend… I can’t lose you, especially not like this.”

            Kyuhyun was at a loss for words. Would he apologize and make up with his best friend, or was his stupid pride too strong? Could he continue only being friends? His eyes found their way back to Sungmin and his heart sank in his chest as he watched the boy cry so much. Swallowing the lump in his throat, he stood up went up to the older boy, immediately wrapping his arms around him. “Please don’t cry, Sungmin… I’m sorry. I didn’t mean it. I know you didn’t ruin anything. It’s all my fault. I’m so sorry,” Kyuhyun choked out his final apology, feeling Sungmin shaking in his arms, which only made Kyuhyun hold onto him tighter.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

            Kangin woke up to his phone vibrating in his pocket. He sat up and wondered how he fell asleep on this awful couch. The caller ID read Kim Heechul and the man let out a sigh before answering. “Yah.”

            “Youngwoon-ah! Are you busy tonight? I was thinking we could get ed up and each other all night. What time should I come over?” Heechul was very blunt and usually got what he wanted, so he wasn’t very prepared for Kangin to refuse him.

            “Not tonight, hyung,” Kangin mumbled in a groggily, moving his free hand up to rub his eyes.

            “What?! Why not? Youngwoon, you can’t say no to m—“

            “Yes I can, and I did. I’m not in the mood tonight. And I probably won’t be any time soon. Find someone else for awhile, yea?” Kangin said before hanging up on the older male.

            On the other end, Heechul stared at his phone in disbelief. Youngwoon never turned him down. “The is his problem.”

 

 

That awkward moment when you start college and then you get so busy that you stop writing altogether and then you start the summer before your senior year early and it's going to be four agonizing months of boring hell and you're like "hey I was writing a story once" and then you decide to write the next chapter after over two years of not updating. Wonder if anyone gives a about this story anymore. Oops.