Chapter 5

Can It Be Love?

As Kangin and his two friends approached the front of the line ready to get on the coaster, he stepped out the last minute, leaving Han Geng and Yesung by themselves on the ride with confused looks on their faces. “What’s his problem? Ever since we saw those two people he hasn’t said much,” the older of the two observed, eying Kangin suspiciously until he was out of sight. Yesung just gave a shrug, not at all too caring for the situation, especially since the coaster was slowly making it’s way up the first hill and letting out a less than manly screech as the ride quickly moved downward then through a loop.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Kangin stormed throughout the amusement park, not at all sure why. The image of Sungmin kissing that guy running through his mind was on repeat, seeming to piss him off even more. Eventually his footsteps came to a stop, seeing the couple in question at the duck pond game (a game he didn’t fully understand, but neither did most people). He saw the big fat smile Sungmin had on his face, especially every time he looked at Kyuhyun. God, Kangin couldn’t stand that nerd at this point. He didn’t know why he cared so much, he just knew he did; but it wasn’t like Sungmin was his, even though in his mind he sort of staked a claim…but that was his own little secret that nobody knew. Although he knew the more he acted like this, the more obvious it would be. What would his friends say if they knew Kangin was going after some little innocent and it was for more than just a quick ? Why was it that Kangin was starting to care less and less about what anyone else thought…?

Without really thinking about it, his footsteps started taking him toward the young pair though he started moving faster as he noticed they were about to leave the game and before he knew it his hand grabbed onto Sungmin’s arm, causing the latter to gasp out of surprise before turning around. Kyuhyun, quickly noticing the situation, was about to give whoever grabbed Sungmin a punch in the nose, but as he raised his fist he noticed Kangin, though that didn’t make him drop his fist, it just made him hold off his punch until he was given more of a reason to do it. “What are you doing?” Kyuhyun asked in a low voice, clearly unhappy with the guy’s presence.

Kangin stood there for awhile, not able to come up with a good answer since he himself didn’t know why he would approach Sungmin while Kyuhyun was there; the last thing he wanted to deal with was a pissed off nerd. It was a waste of his time. After a few silent moments, Kangin let go of Sungmin’s arm, his eyes looking everywhere but at the two as he tried to come up with some logical reason that he was there at that moment. Sungmin just had a gaping grin on his face after he had noticed it was Kangin who grabbed him. “Hyung! What are you doing here? Are you skipping classes, too? You know you shouldn’t be doing that anymore!” the cute male said with a small pout, knowing that Kangin did skip a lot of classes on a frequent basis.

The eldest scoffed and raised a brow at Sungmin, “Yah, yah, you’re skipping class, too! You weren’t in class either.” Kangin could only shake his head with disbelief as he was being scolded for cutting class by someone else who was cutting class. “Really, Sungminnie, who are you to be judging me?” he asked, trying to sound hurt.

Kyuhyun was not at all amused with the conversation. He tugged at Sungmin's sleeve wanting to leave, only to be disappointed when Sungmin shook him off and turned his attention back to Kangin. Kyuhyun’s brows raised, his jaw dropping only slightly with disbelief and his cheeks and ears turning red from anger.

“Hyung, I didn’t choose to skip class. I was kidnapped!” Sungmin exclaimed, pointing at Kyuhyun. “He made me come here even though I told him we’d have all weekend for this.” He nudged Kyuhyun’s arm with his elbow with a small giggle. “You know I’d never intentionally skip class. I need to learn things!” He clasped his hands together and looked up at Kangin with big eyes. “Don’t rat me out, ne? Please?”

Kangin couldn’t help but laugh at Sungmin’s explanation, his eyes giving a quick glance toward Kyuhyun. So that’s how it is, huh? He thought to himself with a smirk. “Alright, I’ll spare you from punishment. Just don’t skip our class again. I missed you, you know.” The words more or less just slipped out, not having meant to say them, at least not so bluntly anyway. He never missed anyone, although he couldn’t really say that he hadn’t missed Sungmin all day. Even though he had admitted that much, he knew he’d never admit his feelings about what he saw the two younger did earlier, wishing it had been him instead that those plump lips kissed.

The youngest couldn’t stand the conversation any longer and took Sungmin’s wrist, turning away to walk off with him though not without some resistance on Sungmin’s part. “Kyuhyun-ah, that hurts, let go!” Sungmin pouted, not liking how angry Kyuhyun was. “I’ll talk to you later, Kangin hyung!” he called back before focusing back on his friend and sliding his hand so that it was holding the other’s instead. “What’s wrong with you?” he asked, not wanting to sound angry even though he kind of was. Kyuhyun always seemed to get like this whenever Kangin was around or even just mentioned. It was clear that he didn’t like him and Sungmin had a hard time understanding why.

Once they were away from everyone, Kyuhyun stopped and let his free hand move to hold the one in his other hand, bringing it up to his lips, which caused a blush to form on Sungmin’s cheeks. “I don’t want you talking to that guy anymore,” Kyuhyun told him. The pink on Sungmin’s cheeks turned to red from slight annoyance and anger and he tugged his hand away from the younger.

“And why is that? I can’t have any other friends besides you just because you’re in love with me? Maybe if we were actually dating I wouldn’t mind the possessiveness but we’re not and I mind. I want to have friends and maybe if I don’t have feelings for you have feelings for someone else.” Sungmin himself didn’t understand the last part of his statement. He wasn’t sure if he said that because he thought he had feelings for someone else or if he was hoping he would. He had never really thought much about feelings until today when Kyuhyun confessed to him and he didn’t want to openly admit that he didn’t feel the same so instead he gave the false hope, maybe hoping himself that he would end up developing feelings for Kyuhyun so that they could both be happy. But if Kyuhyun was going to keep being this way toward Kangin or anyone else he was friends with, he didn’t want to deal with it. “I want to go home,” Sungmin sighed and started to turn away only to have Kyuhyun grab his arm forcefully and kiss him again. This kiss wasn’t like before; it wasn’t sweet or full of love. It was hard and angry and Sungmin especially didn’t like it. Sungmin pushed Kyuhyun away, tears b his eyes as he stared at his best friend, wishing he wasn’t being like this. He turned and ran away from the younger, leaving Kyuhyun there with his feet glued to the ground, unable to process everything that just happened; though when Kyuhyun came to his senses, Sungmin was already gone and he hated himself for ruining what he pictured to be their first date.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Sungmin ran and didn’t stop until he had reached the front gate of the amusement park, his cheeks stained with tears and his eyes stinging a bit. He didn’t understand why Kyuhyun did that, why he was being that way. Kyuhyun was gentle and nice and normally understanding about everything. The only time he had ever seemed different was around Kangin and Sungmin couldn’t stand it. Kyuhyun was supposed to be his best friend and yet all of this just happened and he didn’t know how he was supposed to face him later when he got back to the dorm. Sungmin lifted a hand to rub his eyes, a quiet hiccup sounding and suddenly a hand touched his shoulder making him jump. He turned quickly, not wanting to be around Kyuhyun right now and he was about ready to push him away only to be greeted by Kangin’s face, which soon took on a worried expression at the sight of Sungmin.

Kangin had never seen the other like this before. Every time he had seen or even just pictured Sungmin, his usual smile was just glued to his features; now his eyes were red and wet with tears, his complexion flushed and his lips were trembling. He had no idea what had happened in the last ten minutes that he wasn’t around but he had a feeling it had to do with Kyuhyun since the latter was nowhere to be seen. “H-Hyung…” Sungmin started, immediately wiping his tears away with his sleeves and trying to smile as if nothing was even wrong. Kangin couldn’t understand how Sungmin could even try to hide that something happened when it was so clear as day in front of him.

Not having been in a situation such as this before, Kangin was at a loss for words but he knew he needed to do something for Sungmin; what, he didn’t know, but without a word he cupped Sungmin’s cheeks and looked into his eyes, the intensity of the look making Sungmin’s eyes start to tear up again, knowing that he couldn’t fool the older guy. No one ever saw Sungmin like this except for Kyuhyun, for he was the only person that had seen almost every side of him. Sungmin didn’t want Kangin to look at him the way he was; he didn’t want to be pitied. Instead his arms slipped around the other’s torso and he broke the eye contact by hugging him, taking Kangin by surprise at his actions. Kangin stood there for a moment, looking down at Sungmin and only being able to see his dark brown locks for his face had been buried in his chest. Another moment had passed before Kangin hesitantly wrapped his arms around Sungmin’s shoulders and held him close, making his heart thump in his chest pretty loudly and he hoped Sungmin didn’t notice; not that he thought he would given the situation.

Kangin rested his cheek on top of Sungmin’s head and rubbed his back with one hand, the smaller sobbing quietly into his shirt. He didn’t know exactly what to say to him and he didn’t know if he should ask what happened, though he was smart enough to know that that probably wasn’t what Sungmin wanted to talk about right now. Instead, he whispered into his ear, “Do you want to go to my place…? You can calm down a bit there until you’re ready to talk or leave or whatever you want to do…” He wasn’t sure what Sungmin would say but he didn’t exactly want him going back to his own dorm where Kyuhyun could find him. The smaller boy pulled back and looked up at Kangin, giving him a nod, but unable to form a vocal answer for he didn’t want to start crying more. Kangin kept an arm around Sungmin’s shoulder and led him away from the park; though little did they know that someone could see them together.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Kyuhyun, who had finally gotten his feet to move, made his way toward the park entrance, not exactly sure where to go because he didn’t want to go to the dorm and hurt Sungmin anymore. But once he made it to the gate, he saw two familiar looking figures walking away together; it made his heart sink low into his stomach and his eyes started watering with sadness and some anger, having this feeling that Kangin could only be up to no good. He thought about going over there and pulling them apart to save Sungmin, but he knew that Sungmin would just get angry with him again. Another thought he had which stopped him was that he knew Sungmin was smart, so once he had realized that Kangin was no good, he would get away from him and if there was any problem, Sungmin knew martial arts; not even someone big like Kangin could stand a chance against him. With hope in his mind, he let the two go off and counted on Kangin being a jerk so that Sungmin could see that Kyuhyun was right all along and come back to him. He let the two go far enough until they were out of sight before leaving the amusement park himself and going back to his dorm to sleep it all off and maybe study if he could even find the motivation to think.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Once at his apartment, Kangin opened the door and led Sungmin in. He couldn’t remember the last time someone was at his apartment for something that didn’t involve a party or so he hoped his place didn’t look too bad. Since he was starting to get a bit self-conscious about it, he started cleaning up a bit. “Sorry if it’s a mess,” he said, gesturing for Sungmin to sit down on the couch. “Do you need a drink or something? Like water or anything, I mean.” He wasn’t sure what Sungmin had heard about him or if he even knew that Kangin drank alcohol, but he didn’t seem to for he just asked for a glass of water, which the older immediately got for him, just wanting Sungmin to be comfortable and feel better.

He came back and sat down next to the small sniffling boy and handed him the glass, which Sungmin drank gratefully; crying made his throat so dry and he hated it, which is why he tended to avoid crying as much as possible—not that he ever had much to be upset about. “Gomawo,” he said softly, his voice cracking a little. Though as he drank the rest of the water and calmed down more, his voice started to get less hoarse. “I’m sorry for troubling you, hyung. I can leave right now if you want,” Sungmin said and started to get up but Kangin quickly grabbed his hand to stop him.

“No, it’s okay, you can stay… If you want, that is.” Kangin looked away from the other’s eyes and mumbled, “I want you to stay…” Hearing those words, Sungmin sat back down on the couch and looked down at their hands that were still linked together. Kangin noticed right away and retracted his hand, hoping he didn’t make Sungmin feel uncomfortable. “Is there…anything you want to talk about?” he asked, hoping he wasn’t prying too much into Sungmin’s life. It really wasn’t any of his business, even if he did have a personal interest in the matter.

Sungmin looked away from Kangin and gave a soft sigh, not able to cry any longer and he felt like he shouldn’t have tears about it. “Kyuhyun is just…I think he’s jealous of you, and I don’t know why,” he started, not sure if he should be telling someone else his and Kyuhyun’s business but something about Kangin made Sungmin feel okay about sharing almost anything, even if he hadn’t known him that long. “He confessed to me today, too, and I don’t know how I feel about it. I mean we’re best friends and I liked being that way and I knew he was always touchy but I thought he was just like that… But then he kissed me today at the park and it was weird and I didn’t hate it but I didn’t feel anything like he was feeling. I told him I’d think about my feelings for him but I don’t think they’ll ever be more than just friend feelings…especially after what just happened.” Kangin just sat there, looking at Sungmin as he listened and he didn’t say anything because he wanted to let the other finish and get everything out that he needed to. “After we ran into you, he got really mad and started acting all weird again and he kissed me again but it didn’t feel good and it actually kind of hurt and that’s when I ran away from him…” Sungmin bit his lip, almost about to cry again even though he didn’t want to. He never thought his friendship with Kyuhyun would turn out like this and he didn’t know what to do because it probably wouldn’t be the same ever again. “How am I supposed to face him now?” he asked and looked up at Kangin as tears threatened to fall.

Kangin didn’t know what to say; he didn’t know what he could say that would make Sungmin feel better. His eyes just scanned the younger’s face: his shaking eyes that looked into his own for an answer, his sharp nose that had turned a soft pink at the tip from all of the crying he had been doing, all the way down to his plump and trembling lips that he could tell were fighting back sobs. His eyes lingered there for a moment, unconsciously thinking of what it must’ve been like for Kyuhyun to kiss those perfect lips; he started to become jealous of the thought, wishing it were him to have been the one to kiss them and not that guy who only ended up hurting Sungmin. After a few moments, Kangin snapped out of his daze and looked into the younger’s eyes again who was still looking at him. Still at a loss for words, the older male slowly leaned his face in toward Sungmin’s, wanting to kiss him. He figured that if that’s not what the other wanted he would stop him; although maybe he should’ve just stopped himself since he didn’t want Sungmin to feel as though Kangin was just taking advantage of the situation. But when he was close enough, Kangin’s eyes had closed and he kept leaning forward, only a few centimeters away from those perfect lips. He had expected hands at his chest to push him away but they never came and next thing he knew, he could feel something soft touch his own lips. He kept still, thinking Sungmin would just pull away when he realized what was happening, but when he hadn’t, Kangin slowly opened his eyes to find the other’s eyes closed. Sungmin’s arms wrapped loosely around Kangin’s neck and the latter’s eyes closed once more before carefully slipping his arms around the smaller’s torso, his lips slowly moving against the other in a gentle manner; no tongue, no teeth, just a pure, soft kiss.

 

 

GUYS LOOK I'M HERE YAAAAAYYY! I told you I'd have it this weekend ;u; I'm super sorry about waiting a billion years to update I just had like no motivation and I just didn't feel like writing anything but the last couple months I've been getting a bit better so I hope this is more enjoyable to read now.~