Chapter 2

Can It Be Love?

            After a few minutes of rambling on about himself, Sungmin stopped and smiled. “Well enough about me… What about you, hyung?” he asked, propping his elbows up on Kangin’s desk and resting his chin in his hands.

            By this time, the rest of the class had made their way into the room. Some students listening in on their conversation and wondering how Kangin could listen and keep up with all that or why he was even listening. Not everyone could just talk to him. But Kangin shook his head at Sungmin and sighed. “There’s nothin’ you need to know about me. Now hush up and turn around kid, class is about to start,” he said, his lips quirking up slightly as he nudged the boy’s shoulder gently, the teacher walking in only seconds after.

            “Good morning class,” the teacher said tiredly, setting down his bag on his desk and adjusting his glasses before looking up at everyone. He notices Sungmin’s big smile and he clears his throat. “Oh, that’s right. We have a new student with us today. Young man, come up and introduce yourself, please?”

            Sungmin nodded once and stood up right away, walking up to the front of the class confidently and looking up at everyone. “Annyeonghaseyo!” he bowed at a ninety-degree angle. “My name is Lee Sungmin. It’s nice to meet all of you.” He flashed everyone another smile before going back to his seat.

            “All right, thank you, Sungmin. And I am Mr. Park,” the teacher said, giving Sungmin a soft smile before moving onto the lesson.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

            When the bell rang indicating the end of class, Sungmin stood up right away with all of his things already packed up and ready to leave. Kangin raised his head from his desk and slowly stood up, yawning and stretching his arms out before picking up his bag and throwing it over his shoulder. He looked at Sungmin curiously, “What are you waiting for?”

            “You, silly!” Sungmin giggled and nudged Kangin’s arm. “Now come on or we’ll be late for next period,” he stuck his tongue out before skipping out of the classroom. Kangin just sighed and shook his head as he followed the small boy.

            “How is it that you have so much energy this early in the morning? If I didn’t have to be here, I’d still be sleeping for a few more hours…”

            “Hyung, it’s 9:30! How could you not be awake by now? Well I mean, I am a morning person…and I go to sleep earlier than most people,” Sungmin said before looking up at his hyung. “Hm, you do look pretty tired. What kept you up last night, huh?” he asked, smiling innocently.

            “Ah… Well, that’s…nothing you need to know,” Kangin said awkwardly. “Anyway, what class do you have now? Shouldn’t you be hurrying off there?” he asked, hoping to maybe get some peace and quiet for his next class.

            “Oh! I have Calculus, gotta run! I’ll see you later, hyung!” Sungmin yelled behind him as he was already running off down the hallway.

            Kangin heaved a big sigh and continued on down the hallway to the library, deciding that he deserved some rest instead of the lab he was supposed to do today in his physics class.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

            When lunch time rolled around, Kangin finally came out of the library and made his way to the cafeteria. He grabbed a tray, got a slice of pizza, an apple, and some milk and set himself down at an empty table. As he was getting ready to scarf down his entire pizza, he heard a familiar voice babbling in the background.

            “…and it was soooo interesting, Kyu! It’s probably, like, my favorite class here so far!” Sungmin exclaimed as he clung to Kyuhyun’s arm.

            “Mmm… Sounds interesting, Min,” Kyuhyun said as he poked the other’s side before putting his arm around his shoulder. Sungmin thoughtlessly leaned into the younger and hummed quietly. “When’s your guitar workshop class?”

            “That’s around one I’m pretty sure,” Sungmin nodded. “When’s your vocal class?”

          “Around the same time,” Kyuhyun said, smiling. “We could walk to the music department together then, ne?” he asked, squeezing Sungmin’s shoulder.

            “Of course!” Sungmin said happily before he noticed someone familiar sitting by themselves. “Hyung!” he yelled excitedly, escaping from Kyuhyun’s hold and running to Kangin’s table, taking the seat next to him. Kyuhyun stared dazed for a moment as he watched Sungmin run over to some strange guy he’d never seen. “How were your last few classes without me?” he teased, nudging Kangin’s arm. Kyuhyun slowly followed Sungmin to the table, standing there awkwardly for a moment before sitting down next to him. “Oh, Kyuhyunnie! This is Kangin hyung. Kangin, this is Kyuhyun,” he introduced them happily, hoping that they could all be really good friends.

           Kangin just nodded as he had pizza in his mouth and Kyuhyun looked at him for a moment, then at Sungmin. He noticed something different about the way Sungmin looked at this strange new person and he didn’t like it. Not one bit. “Hi,” Kyuhyun finally said coldly while placing a possessive arm around Sungmin’s waist. The smaller puffed out his cheeks and wriggled out of his hold again, causing Kyuhyun to just stare again surprised and set his hands in his lap.

           Sungmin continued to talk to Kangin the entire lunch time, Kangin not really saying much back and just nodding. Kyuhyun sat there awkwardly, wishing he could just grab Sungmin and take him away from this guy. Kangin noticed Kyuhyun’s discomfort and a smirk tugged at the corners of his lips and he suddenly was more interested in what Sungmin was talking about. He rested his elbow on the table with his cheek in his hand, staring intently at Sungmin and smiling charmingly at him, talking and laughing softly with the cute boy. Kyuhyun started to grind his teeth and clench his fists, wanting to get up and leave but not wanting to leave Sungmin with him.

           “Sungmin hyung… We should go,” Kyuhyun said firmly, tapping the other’s shoulder. Sungmin turned around and pouted at the younger.

           Kangin placed his hand over Sungmin’s and looked at him. “Come on, Sungminnie, don’t leave me…” he smiled again and shook around the small boy’s hand. Kyuhyun raised his eyebrows and stood up, throwing his bag over his shoulder and started to walk away.

           Sungmin looked between the two guys. “I… Kangin hyung, I’ll see you later. Kyuhyunnie, wait!” he yelled and stood up, running quickly after the younger and throwing his arms around him. “What’s wrong? Talk to me, Kyu. Pleeeeaaase?”

           Kangin chuckled amused and shook his head, finishing off his lunch before getting up to throw his tray away then went on his way to his afternoon classes.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

            As soon as he sat down, Kangin widened his eyes as a finger suddenly appeared in front of his face to touch above his lip and he shoved it away. “Aish! Jongwoon, why do you always do that!”

            The one known as Jongwoon pouted and pulled his finger away. “I can’t help it if you put your philtrum in front of me…”

            Kangin scooted away from him, “I don’t know what you’re talking about but you need to stop that.”

            “Hey hyung!” another voice called out to which Kangin turned and smiled slightly.

            “Hey, what’s up, Kibum?” he asked, staring up at the younger male with slight mischief in his eyes.

            “What are you doing tonight?” Kibum asked and took the seat in front of Kangin, his teeth sparkling with his open-mouthed smile.

            “Hadn’t planned anything… Is there something you want to do with me?” Kangin smirked and wriggled his brows.

            “Yes, actually…” Kibum returned the smirk and winked. “My place at 8?”

            “Of course.”