The First Day

Without Those Facade

“Annyeong haseyo! You’re the transferee from Japan?” A woman at her mid-twenties cheerfully greeted the bespectacled girl who just knocked at the door of the school’s office.

“Yes ma’am. I’m Goko Mizuki.” She politely answered having a feeling of comfort with her new environment. She knew that it was still too early to be at eased since she doesn’t have any idea what attitude do the Koreans have but meeting a friendly woman on her first day eased her.

The same woman who welcomed her opened the door to a room where the president of the university is. She encouragingly tapped the girl’s shoulder telling her to go inside because two pairs of eyes were now looking at her.

“Goko Mizuki?”  A man with a deep voice probably at the age of 50 asked the transferee looking at the papers he was holding. Written on the nametag situated on the table was Park Hyun Bin with the term president just below it. He’s not really the type of person who smiles but you can feel that he’s not a terror at all.

“Yes sir.” The girl wiped her invisible sweat with her handkerchief as she feels nervous. Well, who would not be if you’re infront of the president of your university?

After minutes of silence, a slight smile appeared on his face. “It’s our pleasure to have such intelligent student here Ms.Goko. I see that you had been very good with your performance on your previous school. You can get your time table now from my secretary.”

After hearing the instruction from him, Mizuki bowed and went for the secretary who appeared to be the friendly woman who welcomed her. She handed Mizuki what she needed before leading her to the hallway.

Since there was still five more minutes before the class starts, she decided to have a walk by herself. The university was not that big so she knows she won’t get lost.

As she walks along the corridors of one of the buildings, she heard high pitched screams coming from the school grounds. Not only that, a group of high school girls hurriedly ran to go downstairs which caused Mizuki to push her body on the wall. Startled by the sudden commotion, she followed them and saw that they were heading to a van that stopped at the front gate.

Although she was curious of whatever the girls were waiting for, she managed to stay few meters away from the chaos. That’s when the van opened and her curiousness was answered.  Group of drop-dead gorgeous boys serenely got off the vehicle.

Mizuki however, is not the type of girl who doesn’t get interested with the outside appearances since it is deceiving. She knows better for she was a person who hides under a disguise as well. She shrugs at the situation and just wandered around looking for the first class she was going to attend.

 



 

“Mr. Kim, answer the first problem.” The professor called out which caused some lads at the back to hold their laughter as one of their friends who was sleeping at the class was commanded to answer. It appears the popular group surrounded by the girls earlier has the same class as Mizuki.

The boy stood-up and looked at the equation. His head spin and he felt a need to vomit. He doesn’t know the answer.  

Puzzled that it took the student to answer a very easy problem, Mizuki turned her head to look at the back. As she looked at him, Ryeowook notice it so their eyes met. His eyes were enticing that they stared at each other for more than ten seconds. Feeling awkward, she looked at the front again to avoid the eye-contact.

The professor faked a cough to get Ryeowook’s attention since he was still looking at Mizuki though she’s not looking at him anymore. He was a bit surprise. He shyly rubbed the back of his neck.

 “Sorry sir. I have fallen asleep.” He said which caused the class to burst out in laughter, however the professor was not pleased.

“Would you mind answering the first problem Ms.Goko?” he requested as none in his class volunteered to answer the equation.

Mizuki slightly pushed the table infront of her so she can stand. With her eyes looking at the board, she was already answering the equation on her mind while she was on her way infront. The solution was long, but she was able to answer it for less than a half a minute which left the class in awe.

“Very impressive.” The professor smiled at the thought that there are still students who pay attention to the class.

While others were impressed, there are some who just shrugged also.

“What can you expect from a nerd?” A girl said when Mizuki was going back to her seat. She didn’t mind. That was what she wanted them to think anyway. That she’s a nerd. An ugly duckling. An unattractive high school girl.