Chapter 72

He's the One

♡♥♡

Chapter 72 - Christmas Eve 

♡♥♡

Sungmin has been sighing the whole day.

It's winter already, and it's the last day of classes before the Christmas break. He just finished his final exam and he couldn't care less about the results.

Kyuhyun helped him with reviewing. Although he wasn't really interested in reviewing because he was interested on what Kyuhyun would answer to his father's offer to him, he still tried to listen. That night, after Sungmin had asked, Kyuhyun just told him that he was still undeciced about that, although a big part of him was on the accepting side. After a few minutes of silence - Sungmin initiated the silence - Kyuhyun just acted like nothing happened and he shoved it off. He then invited Sungmin to review with him, and Sungmin was not even listening to his tutor.

Ryeowook notices Sungmin. "What is happening to you? Have you answered all the questions?"

Sungmin nods. "Yes. I'm okay."

"Then why do you look so problematic?" Ryeowook asks and sits in his desk which is beside Sungmin's.

"Am I?" Sungmin looks at Ryeowook. "Do I look problematic?"

"We'll graduate together, don't worry," Ryeowook taps his best friend's shoulder, grinning as if he's going to rip his mouth. Sungmin laughs awkwardly. "I guess something's wrong."

"What if... someone is leaving, and you don't want that person to leave. What would you do?" Sungmin asks.

Ryeowook raises his left eyebrow. "Who's leaving?"

Gosh, I asked the wrong person. If he knew I was referring to Kyuhyun, he would suspect,  Sungmin thinks then smiles at Ryeowook. "No one. I just watched something before I got here."

"You've been watching so many dramas lately," Ryeowook comments. "And you're being affected as well."

Sungmin doesn't speak at that.

"Anyway, I am still curious why Taemin says he knows Kyuhyun more than anyone of us," Ryeowook brings up, and he immediately catches Sungmin's attention again. "I don't know why he is saying it to me, especially when he learned that I liked Kyuhyun."

"Maybe because-" Sungmin is about to say something, but he's not sure either. He still continues anyway, "he likes him too."

"How can someone destroy the image of someone he or she likes?" Ryeowook asks.

"Speaking of Taemin, do you want to join us? We'll be having an overnight at Hyukjae's house on the 26th," Sungmin invites Ryeowook. "Of course, everyone would be there too."

Ryeowook questions, "Even Kyuhyun? How about Donghae? I don't think he'd go because he is obviously competing against Hyukjae for you."

"Eh, everything is okay between us all already," Sungmin assures. "I haven't asked Donghae yet but maybe he'd go too. Kyuhyun said he'd go."

"Oh! It's such a pity. My parents expect me to be home for Christmas," Ryeowook pouts. "I want to know why Taemin says that about Kyuhyun! But how were you able to ask Kyuhyun and accept the invitation?"

"Actually I..."

Sungmin hears his phone's message tone so he gets his phone from his pocket. He sees Kyuhyun's name so he puts it back in his pocket so that Ryeowook won't see. But he still reacts. "Oh, who was that? Why didn't you open it?"

"It's nothing important, I guess," Sungmin smiles. "Shall we go home-"

"Lee Sungmin! The teacher is looking for you!" shouts one of his classmates.

"Aish, wrong timing," Sungmin whines. "Why again?" He asks himself. Then he stands and turns to Ryeowook. "Oh well, let's just see each other after Christmas. Call me when you get home, okay?"

Ryeowook smiles and nods. "Take care of yourself and take care of Kyuhyun too."

Sungmin gives an 'okay' sign before he leaves the classroom. When he is on his way to the faculty room, he receives another text message again. He gets his phone and sees Kyuhyun's name again. "What do you want?" He finally opens the message.

How's your exam? The message says.

Why are you not answering? says the next message.

Sungmin replies. None of your business. Then he continues walking.

His phone rings again. Why are you mad? Kyuhyun asks. Before Sungmin can reply, it rings again, now, it's a call from Kyuhyun. Sungmin answers it to prove Kyuhyun that he isn't mad (apparently, he is).

"Yes?" Sungmin tries to sound casual as possible. "Why are you calling?"

"Because I miss you."

Sungmin almost drops his phone. "You ."

"I really do miss you. What time will you be going home? I'll be waiting outside your school," Kyuhyun says then he chuckles when he hears Sungmin cursing loudly. "You don't have to curse that loud."

"How can I not curse out loud!?" Sungmin almost yells and his schoolmates are looking at him. He minimizes the volume of his voice. "If I see you anywhere near the school I won't talk to you anymore!"

"Why the hassle?" Kyuhyun asks, as if he's not threatened or anything. "Ryeowook passed by already. He saw me and asked me why I was here, I told him I was waiting for him then he ran away-"

"You're stupid! I'll kill you!" Sungmin threatens once again, but he receives a loud laugh from Kyuhyun. "What's funny!?"

"I'm just joking. I saw him going out so I hid somewhere," Kyuhyun narrates. "Anyway, kidding aside, let's go home together."

Sungmin feels giddy inside as soon as he hears the words 'let's go home together.' But he acts like it is nothing. "Just go home. I think I'll be going home late because the teacher asked me to go to his office."

"I'll still wait," Kyuhyun insists.

Sungmin tries to ignore the happiness that he is feeling. "Fine then. Wait until you can." He ends the call and continues walking. When he reaches the faculty room, he knocks on the door and the door is immediately opened. It is his homeroom teacher.

"Sungmin, glad you make it. I have something to ask you. Please, enter," his homeroom teacher opens the door wide for him, and Sungmin is very amused. His homeroom teacher was never that nice to him. Only today. When Sungmin enters, his teacher closes the door and gestures for Sungmin to sit on a vacant chair inside his office. Then he sits on his own chair, clasping his hands together on the table. "First things first. I know you don't have an idea why I called for you."

"I seriously have no idea, but it's surely because I'm in trouble?" Sungmin questions. It's always the reason why he's being called in the office, so he guesses it's about that.

His homeroom teacher laughs. "No. You're not in trouble. I just want to ask you some questions about your future."

Sungmin raises his eyebrows. "Wow? I... I didn't expect someone would care about my future."

"It is something that someone requested me to do," the homeroom teacher confesses. "But I am also curious. I heard that you wanted to become a lawyer-"

"Sorry, but I don't know what it's going to be. I am not even sure if I'll graduate. Why plan for the future?" Sungmin can't control his voice anymore. He is very pissed off. Whoever asked his homeroom teacher about his plans, he's sure he wouldn't be convinced to talk about his plans. He's only going to open up when it's-

He stops as he realizes something.

"Is... Is this because... Kyuhyun..." Sungmin feels really annoyed when his homeroom teacher nods.

"He's very worried about you. He wants you to continue your dream-"

"Why worried about me!? If I go to college or not, no one would care and no one should care!" Sungmin stands and runs away and closes the door behind him. He leaves the school premises and sees Kyuhyun. He feels so betrayed that he walks swiftly to punch him. He falls on the ground. "I don't know why you're doing this, Kyuhyun! You don't have the right to seek the help of my homeroom teacher to freaking convince me to continue my dream!" Sungmin then smirks as he realizes something once again. "Maybe, my father convinced you-"

Kyuhyun stands up firmly as if nothing happened. "I did this to help you."

"You're not helping at all. In fact, you're making it complicated!"

"I want you to think about your future not because it would benefit me. I want you to not give up on your dream just because you think all lawyers are like Junho!" Kyuhyun shouts, and Sungmin is speechless.

"H-How..."

"When you thought your father didn't know, he knew all of it. Why you hated Inhwan students... why you quit dreaming of becoming a lawyer. He's not blind, you know? He also knew how Junho worked and even if it was already too late, he fired him, even before you reached your junior year," Kyuhyun said. "Your mother... she knew everything, right? She knew the fact that you hated Inhwan students and lawyers just because of one person. She told your father even though at first he didn't believe her. She insisted to help you, and to wake your father up from Junho's greediness for power."

Sungmin is still speechless. He feels suffocated, but at the same time, he feels so relieved knowing that Junho is out of the law firm.

"This is why Sungmin... I want you to continue your dream. You can become a lawyer and once you become one, you can change the whole concept of it," Kyuhyun approaches Sungmin. "I believe in you. I believe that you can change the bad conception about lawyers, because you're Lee Sungmin - you'll be the greatest lawyer in Seoul."

Sungmin wants to cry. All the things in his childhood, especially when he saved Kyuhyun, flashes before his eyes. He remembers the feeling of solving the crimes with his father and helping him with cases. He remembers shouting to everyone that he'll be the best lawyer in Seoul. He remembers the times when kids are wanting to be like him. All the negative memories are erased and positive moments replace them. Thanks to the person in front of him. "K-Kyuhyun..."

Kyuhyun pats his head. "Let's become lawyers in the future, shall we?"

Sungmin's tears finally drop as he nods and smiles at Kyuhyun.

***

"Sungjin! Give me the star!"

"Nope!" Sungjin declines as he tucks the star between his chest and arms.

"You're so childish!" Sungmin comments as he jumps from the mini ladder and tries to get the star by force. "Give me that!"

"Stop that you guys. You're like children," their mom comments as she giggles. "I can't believe it's Christmas eve later."

The whole family is decorating their living room with Christmas decors. Sungmin and Sungjin are in charge of the Christmas tree, and of course, as the older brother, Sungmin gets to put the star on the Christmas tree, but Sungjin is not with the decision. Thus, the fight.

In the end, Sungjin gets to put the star on the tree, and Sungmin is sulking at the sofa. "This is freaking unfair."

Sungjin sticks his tongue out before running upstairs to decorate his own room.

"Sungmin, just help me with the food preparations," his mother commands. Sungmin stands up and follows his mom in the kitchen. When they are slicing some apples for salad, his mom asks, "Where's Kyuhyun? Don't you have a plan to invite Kyuhyun for the Christmas eve later?"

Sungmin's eyebrows meet. "Why do we have to invite Kyuhyun?"

"Maybe because he's lonely and because he's alone in his house, I suppose?" His mother states the possibility. "Come on, Sungmin. He's doing a lot of things for you lately. If I were you, I would give something back."

"Like what, mom? He's just been disturbing us for the last six days," Sungmin says, recalling the past six weeks when Kyuhyun's always in their house, visiting for no reason, although he told Sungmin that he wanted to see him as frequent as possible, Sungmin didn't count that. "Maybe he's celebrating by himself."

"Ah, Lee Sungmin, you're so in denial," His mom teases. "I know you're happy whenever he's visiting us, or more appropriately, you, because you've been so cheerful lately."

Sungmin blushes. His face becomes hot even though the climate is very cold because it's winter. "I-I'm not..."

His mother hugs Sungmin. "Aw, even if you say you're not... And your dad and I are going to our duties later. It's better if Kyuhyun can accompany you and Sungjin later."

Sungmin hugs his mother back. "Mom, we can take care of ourselves."

"You know, Kyuhyun is a very lonely person," Sungmin's mom pulls herself from the hug and holds Sungmin's shoulders. "He's the only person who makes you happy like that. So I think it's time to make him happy as well."

"Mom," Sungmin sighs in defeat. "Alright. But let me ask you one thing. Why are you so supportive? I can't help but think that you like him more than me."

"I like him for you, Sungmin. Because of him, you were convinced to go to law school after you graduate. It's a big change, you know?" she says. "And if I have a son like him, I'll be very proud."

"Mom!"

***

Sungmin sends a message to Kyuhyun but there is no reply. After fifteen minutes, he calls, but there is no answer, so he decides to go to his house.

It is unbelievably quiet when he reaches Kyuhyun's house. He realizes that Kyuhyun isn't there.

But the gate is open so he enters the house. He is surprised to see his house unchanged. No Christmas decorations, nothing that would imply Christmas.

And he finds his phone on the table.

"Geez, leaving his phone here," he gets the phone and opens it with the same password Kyuhyun gave him before. He sees his message opened. "Oh, he saw my message. Maybe he went to the house already. But why would he leave his phone?"

He puts the phone back to the table then he leaves after a minute and goes back home. When he is walking on his way home, he receives a call from Kyuhyun. "I'm sorry if I wasn't able to reply. I panicked."

Sungmin laughs. "Why would you panic?"

"I realize that I forgot to buy a present for you so I ran to the nearest mall to buy you a present," Kyuhyun says. Sungmin blushes as he feels his heart jumping in joy and excitement. "Sungmin, don't get too excited. It's just something small."

"Who got excited?" Sungmin asks as he calms himself. Then he realizes he has no present for Kyuhyun. He thinks that he is not obliged so he just shrugs it off and tells it to Kyuhyun. "Don't expect I'll have a present for you, okay? Anyway, are you coming?"

"Of course. I won't say no to your gorgeous mother," he says. "I know you'll think of something as a present."

"Don't use your charm to seduce my mom. He belongs to my dad already!" Sungmin chuckles.

"And I only belong to you," Kyuhyun says, making Sungmin shake in giddiness. "See you."

It's Kyuhyun who hangs up first. Sungmin tries to hide his smile but he fails so he goes home with a smile on his face.

***

Kyuhyun arrives really late at ten in the evening.

He has presents for everyone. He puts them under the Christmas tree after he greets the members of Sungmin's family.

"Glad you came, hyung!" Sungjin expresses his delight. "And you even got me a present!"

"Of course, Sungjin, I won't go here without a present," Kyuhyun says. "You can open it later. I'm sure you'd like it."

"Go ahead and eat all you want, Kyuhyun. Sungmin'll be going down in a while," Mrs. Lee informs Kyuhyun. "He's just changing because he lost in our Christmas game."

"I bet he'll be super embarrassed! You would like it, hyung!" Sungjin laughs endlessly.

Kyuhyun smiles. "I guess I would."

"Oh, Kyuhyun, you're here," Mr. Lee just arrives. "Merry Christmas."

"Same to you, Mr. Lee," Kyuhyun stands and bows as respect. "I received an invitation from Sungmin so I went here."

The old man nods. "Anyway, where's Sungmin? Don't you tell me, he lost again!?" He laughs like Sungjin and his son also laughs. "He always lose when it comes to these things!"

"Yah! Don't make a fuss about it!"

Kyuhyun automatically looks at the person going down the stairs. He can't stop himself from laughing when he sees Sungmin wearing a raindeer costume, with matching red glowing nose. "Wow, you look cute."

"It's not funny, Kyuhyun," Sungmin pouts as he finally reaches the living room. "Only two hours left and I'll take this off."

"Do you want to eat first, guys?" Mrs. Lee asks then she turns to Kyuhyun, "We'll be going to our duties at twelve midnight so feel free to celebrate the Christmas eve earlier."

Kyuhyun smiles. "It's okay."

"Kyuhyun, let's go to the dining room," Mr. Lee invites. Sungjin follows and also Sungmin. Before Sungmin can finally enter the dining room, Kyuhyun calls him.

"Raindeer Sungmin, you especially look cute tonight," Kyuhyun compliments and  teases. Sungmin rolls his eyes and leaves Kyuhyun.

***

"So, have you decided already?"

Sungmin immediately looks at Kyuhyun then to his father. "Dad, it's Christmas! Don't spoil it-"

"I have, but not fully decided yet," Kyuhyun answers with a smile. "I'll give my decision on new year."

"Oh, it's Sungmin hyung's birthday, do you know?" Sungjin asks Kyuhyun. "Will you celebrate with us again?"

Kyuhyun smiles. "I guess." He looks at Sungmin who becomes quieter. He was ranting about the raindeer costume for quite awhile even before his father asked Kyuhyun. "What did you play to make Sungmin wear that?"

"It is called 'brain teasers,'" Sungjin replies. "You know the reason why Sungmin lost-"

"Shut up Sungjin!" Sungmin scolds his younger brother, but he's less annoyed compared to the teasing earlier."It's already eleven thirty in the evening. Can I remove this costume already?"

No one actually pays attention to Sungmin.

Time passes and it's already twelve midnight. Mr. Lee and Mrs. Lee give each other a kiss on the lips, Sungmin and Sungjin cover their eyes, then Sungmin looks at Kyuhyun who smiles at him. Sungmin looks away.

"Merry Christmas, Lee family. Thank you for inviting me and for sharing this Christmas eve with you. I am so happy. Thank you," Kyuhyun tells everyone. Mr. and Mrs. Lee nod at him, Sungjin gives him a thumbs up, and Sungmin smiles.

"You're welcome Kyuhyun," Mr. Lee says. "I am looking forward to celebrate new year with you as well."

Kyuhyun bows. "Thank you, Mr. Lee."

"Okay then, Sooman and I will be going now. Kids, behave. Sungjin, go to sleep," Mrs. Lee commands, Sungjin pouts but he is forced to obey. "Kyuhyun, thanks for your time."

"No, thank you."

***

"Here," Sungmin gives Kyuhyun a cup of hot chocolate. "Thanks for coming."

"I can't believe you removed your raindeer costume. It looks good on you," Kyuhyun comments as he takes the cup of hot chocolate. Sungmin nudges him. "Wait, hold it, the cup of hot chocolate will spill on me."

"You'll deserve it, just in case!" Sungmin sits on the sofa beside Kyuhyun.

Silence.

"Kyuhyun... when I went to your house earlier, I didn't see any Christmas decorations. Are you not celebrating Christmas?" Sungmin curiously asks. "I-I mean... I guess you believe in Christmas... but-"

Kyuhyun sighs and puts the hot chocolate on the table. "To tell you honestly... ever since Jino was gone, I have never believed that I could celebrate Christmas again. For me, it's just another day and it would just pass by. Before, we used to decorate our house, just like what you did. Jino would decorate the tree with dad while I would help mom cooking. When they were all gone, I thought it's pointless to celebrate Christmas. But then, I met you and your family. I was really grateful that you invited me here. I was able to celebrate Christmas again."

"You will find Jino, Kyuhyun. One day, you will be able to celebrate Christmas with him again," Sungmin faces Kyuhyun. "For now, let us celebrate withyou. Let us be with you, as your second family."

Kyuhyun smiles. "I know that I'll find Jino again. And when that time comes," Kyuhyun raises his right hand and cups Sungmin's left cheek, making him squirm in the process. "I'll formally ask you to become my boyfriend."

Sungmin gulps as his heart beats fast. He meets Kyuhyun's eyes as if asking if it's real.

After a while, Kyuhyun speaks. "Where's my gift, anyway?" Kyuhyun asks. "I told you, I was expecting a gift from you."

Sungmin looks away. "I have no gift. I wasn't able to prepare. And why should I give you a gift? You're-"

Kyuhyun stands and gets Sungmin's gift then gives it to the latter. "Open it."

Sungmin opens the gift and sees a box. "What's this?" Sungmin opens the box and sees a string. "A string? You went to the mall for a string?"

"Pull it," Kyuhyun says. Sungmin obeys and pulls it. There is a hidden message inside.

I love you.

"I know it's cheesy, but it's what I feel for you. And whenever you're sad and if you're missing me, just look at it and you'll be fine. From now on, it's our secret... but time comes when I am going to reveal this to the whole world, Lee Sungmin," Kyuhyun turns to Sungmin and slowly goes nearer to him. "I love you so much."

Kyuhyun captures his lips. Sungmin feels butterflies in his stomach. Even for now, he doesn't want to pretend that he doesn't love the person in front of him. Even for now, he wants to admit that he loves him, just by one action.

Sungmin holds Kyuhyun's shoulders as he kisses him back.

When they end the kiss, Kyuhyun smirks at Sungmin. "You kissed me back? Was that my gift?"

"Well," Sungmin smiles. "Merry Christmas."

***

《First update after the Sungmin dating news came out. To be honest, it hurt because I invested a lot in my OTP. Haha. TBH I respect his decision even if I didn't like Saeun for him. And to accept the reality, it'll require much effort. If it makes Sungmin happy, fine, okay. But no one can convince me to give up on KyuMin just because people like them don't feel the way that I do. Whether friendship or relationship, I still think they're real. On the lighter note, I finished my defense last Thursday and I was happy because I was successful. HOORAY!》