A Star's Warning

When Stars Fall

 

The boy is attractive, with blonde hair and a face that seems to glow. "That's not a good idea."
 
Chunji is staring at him, his face a mixture of confusion, annoyance, and something else.
 
Is that... Fear?
 
"Who are you?" I demand, stepping in front of Chunji.
 
He bites his lip. "Sorry about that. But that really isn't a good idea."
 
"Where did you come from?" I ask.
 
A very faint smile plays across his lips. "I am a brother of Chunji."
 
"How long have you been watching us?" Chunji questions, seeming to have recovered somewhat.
 
"Long enough to know that you two need to separate." The longer he (L. Joe?) speaks, the firmer his voice becomes.
 
No response. I glance back, only to find Chunji's face pale with fear. 
 
I reach out to touch him, but he steps away. Hurt, I retract my hand and turn back to L.Joe.
 
"... I'm gonna go to sleep." And, with that, I walk off.
 
 
 
 
I try not to think about everything that's been going on lately. I lie down and try to fall asleep. I have a vivid dream about the night my brother died. When I wake, I'm drenched in cold sweat and my pillow is tear-stained. I can't fall back asleep.
 
I guess I'll just go stargazing, then. Even though it's two a.m.
 
As I walk to my hill, I hear talking in amongst the trees of the forest I have to pass. Low voices. Male voices.
 
Curious, I peer through the plants to find Chunji and L. Joe talking.
 
"You can't do this anymore," L. Joe is saying. "Don't you realize what you're doing?"
 
"I know what I'm doing," Chunji insists, but his face is still pale.
 
"Oh really? Because it looks like you're messing around with some human girl!"
 
"I know what I'm doing," Chunji repeats.
 
L. Joe shakes his head. "I think I'm going to have to report this to him."
 
"No, wait!" Chunji lunges forward and grab L. Joe by the sleeve. "Just a little longer! I just need a little longer!"
 
L. Joe sighs. "Alright, a little longer. But..." He stares Chunji very hard in the eyes. "The longer you drag this out, the more difficult it will be."
 
"I know." Chunji's voice is hoarse. "I know."
 
I get the feeling that I really shouldn't have seen that. 
 
Taking a step backward, my feet snap on a twig. The two become silent.
 
"Did you hear that?" L. Joe whispers.
 
Chunji nods.
 
They're silent for a moment. Finally, Chunji says, "I'm gonna go now."
 
"Don't forget what I've told you," L. Joe says. Chunji leaves.
 
As quietly as I can, I hurry off to my hill.
 
 
 
 
It's cloudy still, but at least the night air helps to calm me.
 
I put my telescope to the side and try not to think about all these supernatural happenings.
 
However, before I can think about anything, I hear a voice behind me.
 
"Thought I might find you here." L. Joe plops down next to me.
 
"What do you want?" I ask coldly. I don't trust him.
 
He laughs. "You're rather cold, aren't you? Poor Chunji."
 
"Seriously, what do you want?"
 
He stares at me very hard. "I wouldn't get too close to Chunji if I were you."
 
".... Huh?" My eyes are wide, fastened in his.
 
"I'm only saying this for your own good. But if you fall in love with him, you'll only end up being hurt." His face is dead serious.
 
"What are you saying?"
 
"I've said what I needed to. See you around. And remember this conversation. I don't want to have to say I told you so." He gives me a quick smile, gets to his feet, and strolls off into the night.