Shower of Stars

When Stars Fall

"Now, what would you like?" asked the woman.

 

I studied her display of toys. "I want a star," I said suddenly.

 

A boy a couple of years older than me peaked out from behind the display.

 

"Sorry, we don't have stars," the woman said with a laugh. "Would you like a doll?"

 

I shook my head, disappointed, and began to walk away. I had made it halfway down the street when I heard a shout.

 

"Wait!" Someone grabbed my arm.

 

I turned, and, to my surprise, the toy maker's son was standing there.

 

"Here." He put something in my hand. "I made it." Then he ran away.

 

I stared at the object in my hand. It's... A paper star. I tucked it into my pocket, smiling, and ran home.

 

 

 

 

 

I wake with a start. Whoa, haven't had that dream in a while. I look to my bedside table, where the paper star sat, still in excellent condition. I kiss my fingertips and then press them to the star. "Are you ready for stargazing, my good luck charm?"

 

I always take a nap before going stargazing so that I can be alert and ready. So, rubbing the sleep from my eyes, I change into warm clothes and grab my telescope case. I placed the star gently in my pocket.

 

"I'm goinggg!!" I call to my parents before running out.

 

It's a special night. I hurry to the hill where I always watched the stars and begin setting up my telescope.

 

Suddenly, hands cover my eyes. "Guess who," a voice whispers.

 

I don't even need to pause. "Oppa, I'm trying to set up here!"

 

Sandeul plops himself down next to me, smiling so happily I can't help but smile back. "You looked even more focused than normal! Meteor shower tonight?"

 

I nod, feeling my smile widen. "I can't wait!!"

 

He laughs. "You're not a normal girl at all, are you! Of course, I've known that for a long time, but, still."

 

"Excuse me? I'm completely normal!" I resume assembling the telescope.

 

"Nope. A normal girl would be..." He looks thoughtful for a moment. "Well, more interested in love and less interested in stargazing, for one,"

 

I pause. "Love?"

 

He nods forcefully. "Don't you wanna, you know..." His voice becomes quieter and he blushes, looking away slightly. "Fall in love?"

 

I crawl over and poke him. "Are you in love, oppa?"

 

His blush becomes even brighter. "Uh, I didn't say that..."

 

I just laugh. "Well, good for you, but I haven't fallen in love with anyone yet, and I'm not going to force myself to. The stars are enough for me for now." I continue fixing up the telescope.

 

It's quiet for a moment. Then, "YOU DON'T HAVE A JACKET?!"

 

"Calm down, oppa!! It's just a jacket!"

 

"You're going to get sick! Here, you can have mine--"

 

"You're not wearing one either," I remind him.

 

"Okay, okay, um, I'll be right back! Wait here!" He jumps to his feet and scurries off.

 

I sigh and watch him leave. So excitable.

 

Finally, I finish the telescope. And not a moment too soon.

 

Lights streak across the sky like shooting stars. I stare through the telescope, watching awe as they fly, bright against the darkness.

 

"You know you don't need a telescope to see a meteor shower, right?"

 

That is not Sandeul's voice.

 

Slowly, I pull my eyes away from the telescope and to the person behind me.

 

The moon is bright enough that I can make out the form. It's a boy. Tall.

 

"Who are you?" I ask slowly. I live in a very small town where everyone knows everyone. Yet, aside from a nagging in the back of my mind that he is familiar, I don't think I have ever seen him.

 

He pauses for a moment. And then a smile spreads across his face, so beautiful that my breath catches. "I'm a star."

 

I freeze. "You're a... What?"

 

His smile grows even brighter. "I'm a fallen star."