Chapter 3: The Arms of a Ghost

An October Meeting

The spindly fingers that were unseen ran the length of my spine, leaving but a tingling sensation. I could only stand, frozen. Not a single atom of my existence was able to move. As if I was frozen in time itself. 

And as those hands reached my face and caressed my cheek I let out a small and barely audible 

"...Who are you?" 

I couldn't hear myself, but I knew it could hear. The hand quickly retreated and was gone. I couldn't see even a flash of color. And I heard not even a single footstep. Whoever or WHATEVER that thing was, it had the regal bearig and quiet grace of a ghost.

i ventured on, the heat of my fear giving me the strength and movement to continue. The cold grew colder and the darkness grew denser. I stared down at my feet to see a slight fog and I felt a feeling to move toward where it got thicker. 

I slammed my nose into the wall ahead of me and felt it. Down by my side was a handle. A Victorian style one, much like at the front door. I pushed my hand onto the door knob and slowly turned it, the chilling metal almost sticking to my fingers. 

When I got inside, I closed the door behind me. The soft click rang through the room. I stood still and felt warmth. Inside there was one window, shining in light from the full moon. A deep red fire crackled in the fire place and there was one comfortable looking leather chair with a table stand next to it, and on it was a book of some sort. I walked forward and stopped. The tone from before, that very eerie song, it was louder than before. And I felt like I knew this song now that it was so clear. Believe me, I wanted to leave. I wanted to get away from all of this that made me fear. But... I couldn't draw myself to do that. I had gone this far, and the moments I spent in mortal fear would be in vain if I led right now. Besides, in here, I felt safe.

So I sat in the chair and grabbed the book in my hands. The fire crackled to a stop and I was left with a beam of moonlight. 

In what I could make out, the book had not title, but it wasn't too thick, exactly. And that's when I felt it. 

The soft touch.

The ghost was back.