Flashback (Part 2: Pre-Semi-Formal Hype)

It All Started As A Simple Friendship

 

As years went by, they always seem to be together. In almost every single class, after school doing homework, or at the park or the mall in town, they never got sick of being with each other and rarely got into any arguments. They would always support each other, whether Anna became part of the dance team and went to competitions or when Kevin had to perform small gigs with his friends as a group they call themselves U-Kiss.
 
When high school came around, things slightly began to change. Besides the fact that U-Kiss was becoming more popular, little by little Kevin and Anna got closer than ever. Their own groups of friends claim that they act more like a couple than just best friends. More skinship was involved between each other. The places that they would go to for homework would be at a café near the high school they went to. They would walk home together when their after school activities end.
 
Then, the friendship between them hit their . Kevin began to realize that he likes Anna more as a friend. He had this little crush on her when they graduated from middle school. His friends gave him advice and he became more gentleman-like towards her, trying to his message across to Anna that he likes her. Anna has no idea that he liked her, but she had some feelings for him. It was obvious to her friends that he likes her, and no matter how hard they tell her, she wouldn't believe it. 
 
It was a week before the semi-formal took place and Kevin decided to make the move and ask her out. It was lunch and they were sitting together, along with their groups of friends. The cafeteria was loud as usual, various conversations filling the large room. "So, did you guys get dates for the semi-formal?" Anna asked Kevin's friends.
 
"We've gotten a lot of confessions and letters in our lockers from girls all over the school, but I feel like we haven't find the right one yet," one of them named Eli stated.
 
"I feel like it's not right for girls to confess to guys. I like the other way around, it's more romantic," Anna spoke honestly as she took another bite out of her sandwich. At that moment, all of the guys looked at Kevin. He mouthed at them something when Anna caught him. "What's going on?" She looked at them suspiciously. They smirked at Kevin and briefly went back into devouring their lunch. "It's nothing, you'll find out veeeerrry soon," Dongho smirked before taking a bite out of his pizza slice.
 
There was an awkward silence among everyone at the table until Kevin cleared his throat. "Guys, I have something to say." Kevin slowly looked at everyone, and then gave one long look to Anna. He stood up and took Anna's hand. Secretly, one of his friends passed him something and held it behind his back. "Anna," he took a deep breath. He dropped her hand and revealed to her a bouquet of flowers and held it out to her. "Would you like to go to the semi-formal with me?"
 
All of a sudden, the cafeteria became quiet as everyone has turned their attention to the two of them. There were a lot of gasps and "aww"-ing as the anticipation grew, waiting for Anna's response. She was just as shocked as everyone else in the cafeteria. Her friends were freaking out at how cute this moment was, while Kevin's friends were smiling proudly at him. "YES!" Anna nodded and jumped out of her seat to hug him. The cafeteria erupted into cheers and applauded the two of them and quickly got back into their conversations.
 
As they entered into the hallway together, people were staring at the two of them. There were whispers among them.
 
"They've been friends for a while, right?"
"They're made for each other."
"Anna is really lucky to have Kevin."
 
They ignored everyone as they went to Anna's locker before the next classes started. "Where did you get these flowers? They're so pretty," Anna looked at the bouquet admiringly in her hand before cautiously placing them on one of the locker shelves. 
 
"Oh, you know, by the flower shop down the street," he rubbed the back of his neck.
 
"Well I love them. Thank you." She hugged him. "No one has ever done this for me before."
 
"I'm glad I was the first." They pulled back as they headed off to their next class. As Anna sat down, her friend Melanie who sat behind her tapped her on the shoulder. She passed a note to her. She turned around and opened it in her lap. It read: 
 
check ur phone.
 
As the bell rang and the class has just started, she took her phone out of her pocket and saw that she has a text from her a few minutes ago.
 
Dude! I saw u and Kev in the halls. I think he likes you.
12:47pm
 
What? He only sees me as a friend.
12:51pm
 
Yea, OKAY, sure. You can be so oblivious sometimes. Have you seen yourselves lately? You do realize that you two act like a couple 24/7. He gave you a bouquet of flowers. Oh yeah, one more thing: HE ASKED YOU OUT TO THE SEMI-FORMAL!
12:55pm
 
As Anna was reading the last sentence, Kevin looked over at her. "Ooh, you're texting in class," he whispered. 
 
"Shut up," she playfully hit his arm.
 
"Ow, that hurts," he played along, rubbing his arm.
 
"Grow up," she laughed quietly to herself.
 
"Anna and Kevin, is there something about Shakespeare that you find so amusing about?" The teacher called out to them as everyone turned their attention to them. There were soft giggles and murmurs heard throughout the room.
 
"They're such a couple."
"Oh my god, date already!"
"They're cute together."
 
As Anna heard the whispers, she felt her cheeks turning a hint of pink. Why do people keep thinking things like this, we're just friends, she thought.
 
"No Mrs. Park," Kevin tried to cover the situation. "Anna just dropped her pen and I tried to get it with my foot and-"
 
"I don't have time for this, you should know by now," she shook her head. "Anyways, back to Shakespeare, the comedy "The Tempest" was the last play he wrote before..." The teacher drone on and on and on, putting the class to sleep. Then Anna felt her phone vibrate again in her pocket. It was another text from Mel.
 
Way to cover up the flirting sesh, Anna.
1:00pm
 
It was his fault! And we weren't flirting, FYI :p
1:00pm
 
Whatever. You two were COMPLETELY flirting to me. I'm telling you he LIKES you. I can tell he sees you more as a friend for a while now. Who knows how long he's had a crush on you.
1:02pm
 
He does not like me like that! You know what goodbye I'll talk to you after class.
1:03pm
 
Anna hastily shoved her phone back in her pocket. Kevin saw her and tapped her on the arm. He slid a piece of paper over. It read:
Are you okay?
 
I'm fine.
 
Are you sure?
 
Yea, it's just Mel who's pestering me as usual lol :D
 
Okay if you say so...
If there's something bothering you, you can talk to me about it, okay?
 
... Alright...
 
He smiled to himself and shoved the note into his pocket as they continued to take notes and pay attention in class. As soon as class was over, Anna and Kevin were talking and laughing as usual to their next class until Mel whisked Anna away from him and went into the girls' bathroom. "What was that for?" She rubbed her wrist.
 
"I'm TELLING you, Kevin LIKES you!" She hissed at her. "Do you NOT see it?"
 
"I honestly don't! Kevin just sees me as a friend. He's just being nicer and sweeter to me, that's all," she explained.
 
"Mmhmm, okay sure, but I'm SERIOUS! The rest of us, even U-Kiss knows that he likes you! Asking you out to the semi-formal doesn't give you a clue?
 
"He's just asking me to go with him as a friend. Why, is that wrong?" She asked innocently.
 
"Oh Anna, poor Anna, you are really clueless..." She drifted off and shook her head. She left the bathroom leaving Anna in a confused state. A few seconds later she appeared out of the bathroom and only saw Kevin leaning against the wall across from the door. "Where did Mel go?"
 
He pushed off against the wall and walked towards her. "She said if I told you, she would beat me up to a pulp." She sighed in defeat. "So what were you talking about?" He wrapped his arm around her shoulder and began walking up some stairs.
 
"Oh just girl stuff," she lied. She had a half-nervous half-smile on her face.
 
"Mmhmm... Okay sure..." He furrowed his brows as he analyzed her face.
 
"What..." She briefly looked at him and then looked away.
 
"I know you're not telling me the truth... But it's okay. If there is anything bothering you, you know I'm always here for you," he smiled at her with those sparkling brown eyes staring at her, trying to get her attention.
 
"Alright," she nodded. "We better get going before we're late to class." He nodded and linked arms with her as they hurried off to their last class of the day.
 
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
How was that? Liked it so far? Feedback appreciated ^-^
tbh I began writing this on the bus I take to school on notepad and I'm exhausted going to and coming home from school, so I apologize if it seems a bit crappy >.<