Chapter Three

The Sound of the Old Train

Music flowed steadily through my ears as I stared out the window of the coach, our school hired for the biology trip. We were warned a long journey was ahead so I had to bring my MP3; it had more songs than my phone.

A light touch of a finger my hair sent shivers down my spine, which made me aware of my surroundings. What are you doing, Myungsoo? I wrote as I stared hard at him expecting some absurd shy answer. However, he just smiled and turned the other way, holding a notepad. I shrugged; I guess he is making notes on the textures of things?

I slid back into my world, the abnormal world full of soft k-rock and observation. I rested one side of my head on the seat in front of me. The sun beamed upon my light-skinned face as my gaze locked onto the cloudless sky, a shining blue that could allow me feed off its beauty and live forever. However, the strong heat made my eyelids heavy.

 

An hour later, someone shook me. My eyes flung open to see Myungsoo. I took a minute to look around and recall where I am, than I wrote, What's the matter? We didn't seem to have stopped so we haven't arrived yet, so what can be the problem? He pointed down at his lap. I followed his finger to see a drawing book. My face, unknowing, moved towards the book. My eyes locked with identical ones. He drew me. I was stunned at the detail. Is that supposed to be me? I scribbled; my hands were shaking because the image was just so beautiful.  

Myungsoo nodded. "I was so bored so I decided to draw you, since you were the closest. You can have it, if you want," he said, gleefully as I straightened up. I could tell from his expression that he liked the drawing as much as I did.

I put my hands out and Myungsoo placed his notebook on it. I tightened my grasp whilst examining everything. Smooth looking, nicely shaded in, strands of hair fell over the slightly tilted head - covering a small section of my right eye. The eyes were neatly curved; he shaded the places where light didn’t hit to give it that 3D shape. Between the two, he drew a nose that was light blend at the bottom; darkening the side gave it a realistic feel. Below that, there was a down-turned lips; strongly shaded from the top, than slowing merging in with the rest. I will just save a picture to show my parents. Thank you for taking your time drawing this!

“Don’t worry about it. I was so bored and had nothing better to do,” he restated with a bright smile. “Mind if I listen too?” I shook my head before handing him one of the earphones. “Oh, Nell? What is this called, again? Um, was it walking through a time of memories?” I smiled, confirming his answer. We sat in silence letting Jong-wan’s voice soothe us.

 

Minutes later, I flinched at the sudden thump on my shoulder. My eyes set on Myungsoo’s head. He probably didn't get much sleep. Myungsoo didn’t look at ease in his sleep, though. His facial expression became full of fear and worry. My arm wrapped around his shoulder and lightly tapped him to sleep. Changing his expression, Myungsoo felt at peace. A breath of relief escaped my mouth.

“Ok students! We have arrived,” the teacher announced. “Do you remembe-.” she continued whilst I patted Myungsoo to wake up. His began to rub his eyes and look around him. He lifted his head from my shoulders and smiled, cutely. He looked like a lost clueless child. “Let’s go!” the teacher finished. We all grabbed our bags and jumped off the coach.  “We are going to split into two teams. Group One goes with me and Group Two goes with Ms Im. Min Jun, Kyung Mi, Hyeseong, Min Su, Myungsoo, Su Mi and Sungjong. You lot go with Ms Im, understand?” We all nodded and followed the teacher to a field full of greenery.

“Anyone needs to use the toilet?” she asked. Kyung Mi - that girl - went with Hyeseong whilst we all remained outside.

A woman and man headed towards us, dressed in a blue uniforms. “Hello, I’m Kim and this is Juni. We are going to be taking you around the wonders of this garden, showing you different species of organisms,” he said, twisting his lips upwards a little. He led the way. We walked along a rock-cemented path. Everywhere I looked, I saw flowers and butterflies, all of different colour.

Everyone stopped, suddenly. Juni stepped out of the line and stepped into the soil where there was a shrub-like plant. It was short though. It about ten centimetres in height, but it was very wide. Whilst observing the plant, I missed what Juni was saying. I turned to Myungsoo, who seemed to have done the same. He kept walking until I spotted a Japanese maple tree. I ran towards it to see its tangled branches. It had one trunk but many branches. Its leaves were a shade of purple, which held my gaze for more than a few minutes.

“This is a Japanese Maple Tree,” Kim read. “Kim and I bought this a few years ago when we visited Japan.” Everyone nodded, in astonishment. “This way now, guys.”

We followed them down some wooden stairs; so did the water flowing roughly through the fountain. It circulated around the rocks and the leaves. That small fountain led to a bigger one, which caught my attention.

“You like this, don’t you?” Myungsoo breathed near my ear, making me jump. I was so close to fall down the stairs but, thankfully, Myungsoo caught my hand and pulled me up. “Be careful, gosh!” he shook his head, disapprovingly whilst I bowed my head a little, grateful.

We kept walking until we reached a little hut, which was downhill. The little house was very cooling. I took my seat with Myungsoo at the back whilst Kim and Juni lectured for a while. “You can eat your lunch, guys. It’s already one in the afternoon,” Kim concluded.

I took my notebook and wrote, did you bring lunch? We both cracked up laughing. We recalled the other day when Myungsoo forgot his lunch.

“Yeah, I brought lunch today,” he gleamed, getting a retail-shop brought sandwich. Confirmng his statement, I continued to eat,

 

We stood in front of a small area full of different types of species we need to identify. Myungsoo and I took a five times five-meter quadrant and went on ground.

“The coordinates are 5.6.” Myungsoo read out. “I’ll take 6 and you take 5,” he instructed. I nodded and went up the ground five cm. Myungsoo went six across. We met up and placed the quadrant on the coordinate. Kneeling down, we marked the frequency of each species identified. That was all we did for an hour.

Ms Im said we had to swap with the other team so we walked back uphill, which was such a hassle. However, since we went slower, we got a chance to look at the well-grown trees. It’s beautiful, right? I wrote to Myungsoo, who just nodded. His interest was nowhere near mine. He looked afar where there was a mountain-like hill. On top of it, there was a tree with red leaves. I was amused by the fact that it had red leaves. That was the only plant that stood out though. The others around it were a shade of yellow. I guess it reminded him of him. There are many mute people out there. However, people like Myungsoo are rarely bumped into. I guess it’s a good and bad thing. He might feel so lonely but being rare is unique and cool.

“I’m sorry but we have to head home now! I didn’t know the other group did the same thing but elsewhere. Anyway, we will make a stop by the shops before getting back on the couch, ok?” We all nodded to the teacher’s lack of awareness. This is why I don’t listen to a word she says.

 

There wasn’t much in the shop that caught my eye, except fudge. I looked at Myungsoo to see that was the first thing he saw too. We walked up to the shelf full of different flavours and smiled.

“I’m getting the chocolate flavoured one,” he called with his hand up, just like a kid. I shook my head and pointed at the coffee flavoured one. “Shall we get another flavour? I really want to try Strawberry Vanilla.” I took put the white chocolate one and waved it. “Ok! Let’s go!” he pumped his hands and grinned.

“That will be ten pounds, please,” the receptionist said to Myungsoo with a weird expression. Then to me with a smile. Ignoring her, we both paid and waited outside for the others to come out from their hunt of ice cream.

By the time we got on the coach, it was three thirty. In the traffic, here, we would reach school around about five, which is quite worrisome. Does the train still run at five? Oh, its Myungsoo’s uncle after all so maybe.

“Let’s open it,” Myungsoo said, very excited. I opened my coffee one first. I put one into my mouth and felt the sensation melt away. My eyes switched to Myungsoo, who had his mouth wide open. I stared at him with a confused expression, than realized he wanted to try mine. My hands dropped a block on fudge into his mouth. The sound of his tongue squeezing down on it was clearly heard. He reopened his eyes and indicated me to open mine. The pure chocolate tasted good.

We exchanged the other flavours and had a brief moment of satisfaction. However, we were full after trying the four flavours. We offered the other around us some and put the rest into our bags.

Myungsoo, everyone is different. Everyone is unique. You don’t have to feel horrible about it. Nobody in this world is perfect so cheer up a little, yeah? You tried to hide your sorrow feelings by distracting yourself with fudge but it will always come back to you unless you face it. Stop running away and attack it with a shield. I can be that if you want, as your friend that is the best I can do. Please, don’t be coward because I don’t like them! I placed the note on Myungsoo’s lap because he was asleep. I tilted his head onto my shoulder so his neck doesn't turn stiff. Slowly, I leaned my head against his and closed my eyes.

I opened my eyes to find myself on Myungsoo’s shoulders. I looked up to see he was wide-awake and smiling down at me. “Thanks for the little note,” he said. “I told you before, right? My parents past away and I’m being raised by my grandma. Well, I have been having bad dreams and I keep blaming myself for their death. I try to face those thoughts and think differently but I couldn’t because it’s true. When I was five, I was determined to go to the theme park. Therefore, when they came back from London, we went as a treat. On the way back, we got into a car accident. An accident that killed my parents and kept me alive,” he explained, near tears.

I looked down. The advice I gave him last time seemed useless now. Myungsoo. I’m sorry. I grew up believing no one could beat the problems I’m going through. I just realized there are many other people with far worse. I have both my parents but nothing would change if I didn’t have them around. My parents are barely at home. In addition, when they do take a day off, it would just be due to office meeting planning. At least you have your grandma, I have no one. I can’t rely on anyone. When I met you at school, I was happy there is someone similar to me; different and unique. However, my problems are nothing compared to yours. I know you think it’s your fault but you should force your mind to think otherwise. I think your parents will be happy to watching you, from above, grow up into a young intelligent man. I used to blame things on me too but they didn't get me anywhere so I gave up on them. I got over them now. You should, too!

“You’re a good friend. You have been through a lot as well. I think we got a lot closer after saying it aloud. I feel a little free.” I guess we did seem a little closer. Sharing things does that to people.

 

We arrived at school around five thirty. Curse this traffic! On the bright side, the sun hasn't set, yet. 

“Sungjong, do you want to get some dinner? I’m hungry! I know a good place that sells noodles. Let's go!" His stomach rumbled, which made me agree.  "Oh, my poor stomach," he rubbed whilst frowning. Seriously, on the outside Myungsoo is cold and heartless but within, he is just a kid, a little kid who loves to eat and play.

Myungsoo, where is the place? I questioned. We seemed to be lost as he led me into a place where there isn't any shops visible.

"It's well hidden. It's like a gem, hard to find but when found your satisfaction is beyond the levels you imagine it to be!" his eyes shone like the stars that were becoming clearer. "Here we are!" He slid the door to a side and stepped in. It was empty. He pushed me into a seat and pulled out an apron. "I work here," he said, randomly.

My eyes widened. I didn't know how to react. This place seemed out of business, yet, he still wanted to work here? Does he even get paid?

"The old lady that runs this place needed help so I joined as a volunteer. She pays with a meal for my grandmother and me," he said twisting his lips upwards. “I’ve been working here since my parents passed away,” he went on and explained. “This place, unbelievably, gets busy on Saturdays.”

“Oh, who’s this I hear? Aigo, look who it is. Myungsoo, what are doing here? I see you brought a guest.” an old lady appeared in front of us. As I looked upon the perennial woman, I saw that she was much older than I originally thought. Her brown, wrinkled skin looked like discarded paper bag left to itself. Her eyes, over the years, had grown dull and cloudy as though she had seen too much suffering. Her silver hair was thinning, and her smile seemed a little lingering. Along with this, it could be seen that the lips, once beautiful, were dry and cracked. She stood slowly to greet me and hobbled towards me with her cane.

“This is Sungjong. He can’t speak. He’s a friend from school, we came here to eat. We’re starving!” he pouted whilst rubbing his stomach again.

“I see. Take a seat, I will make you noodles with kimchi.” She held onto Myungsoo’s hand and put him on the seat in front of mine. She seemed really caring and protective over Myungsoo. My lips tilted a little at the cute sight.

Myungsoo, can I work here as well? I have nothing better to do on Saturdays. You said it gets busy so the more the merrier, right? I asked with a pleading face. He nodded after reading the note.

“Grandma, Sungjong is going to work with us on Saturdays as well,” he notified. “Oh yeah, I still have your diary but I forgot it at home.” He slapped his head with his palm and bite into his lips.

It’s ok. I got many notebooks at home. My parents brought it just in case I lose one. Take your time giving that one back. There isn’t any rush. I reassured.

 

The train, actually, waited for Myungsoo. Chugga-chugga. The sound was so pleasant and mind relaxing. I dazed out of the window, rocking myself to the sound of music and mouthing the words.

“Bye,” Myungsoo waved at his stop. I bowed my head a little, acknowledging his leave.

I got off my stop and rushed into the empty home. After getting changed, I updated the diary on my phone. I had a good day today. The scent of the flourishing flowers brought peace to my heart and mind. Experiencing it with a friend seemed to have opened a new side of me. Myungsoo has finally opened up, now he can’t stop telling me everything about himself. It’s a good thing! He introduced me to a grandma, who cooked for many at a little restaurant. I’m going to start working with him as well. It would be fun.

 

Months flattered past, Myungsoo and I grew closer as friends. We meet on the train, every morning. However, instead of remaining quiet, like last time, we began to talk. We had a lot to say, now, since we work at the same place and go to the same school. Myungsoo seemed to have let go off the past and moved on from his parents. I’m glad I was able to help him through that. Yesterday, I went to meet Myungsoo’s parents. Their grave was beside each other. It seemed sad. Maybe I should appreciate my parents a little more.

 

“Sungjong, do you want to go somewhere this Sunday? How about the theme park?” he asked whilst covering the corner of his upper lip with his other.

I never have been to a theme park so ok. Is it something special tomorrow? I stared at him with wide eyes, expecting him to say something but he just shook his head.

“I just really want to go to the theme park,” he answered with a distant look.

Ok, meet you at ten tomorrow, then. He got off the train and waved back at me. Chugga-chugga. The train set off again.

Once I got home, I began to write in my diary. Today was a good day. Everyone at the little place where I work was clam and enjoyed their meal. Myungsoo, on the other hand, seemed a little off today. He clearly wasn’t on earth, i had no clue why. He probably didn’t feel well or something.  Anyway, we are going to the theme park tomorrow!

 

I wore black skinny jeans with a peach coloured baggy jumper. I put my headphones on and headed out. I looked to my left and right, there wasn’t any sign of a train so I took my seat on one of the benches.

“Boo!” someone shouted from behind, startling me to death. I turned around to see Myungsoo, laughing his head off. I looked at him with one of my eyebrow raised. “I’m sorry! My uncle said he‘d take us to the theme park. Therefore, I took the first train here.”

You’re evil! Where’s your uncle? I asked. He pointed behind him. I stood up to see his uncle with an old car. Does that even run? I thought to myself before following Myungsoo.

We got into the back and I gave one of my headphones to Myungsoo. It was a long ride, I presumed. I got my phone out and held it in the middle of both Myungsoo and me. We began to play the game we loved. I couldn’t pass this level without Myungsoo though. Together, we made an unbeatable pair.

 

We arrived, brought our tickets and walked in. We explored around a little so we adapt to the atmosphere of the theme park filled with glory. It’s like uniting with hundreds of strangers. Strangers that were your neighbours in a fun and different environment, where your everyday life’s worries and routines are cleared from your thoughts. Even though it’s only for a day, it’s a day worth experiencing. You become part of a temporary society where everyone’s goal is to take part in the joyous anticipation of amusement and entertainment. The air was filled with the aroma of popcorn and grilled food, the din of the crowd is boisterous, and everyone's face is smiling and pleasant. Your path is wandering and uncharted, and takes you to a happy and sometimes overwhelming experience, like a water-ride or stomach-churning roller coaster, and all are willing to share their emotions during and after each event. Gloomy weather or a sore ankle does not stand in anyone's way as you are all determined to make the best out of this one fine, rare day that you are destined to be transported into a wild and wonderful world.

“Just looking at them is heart-warming, right?” Myungsoo said from beside me.

I nodded. Can we try the rollercoaster? It looks dangerously fun. Myungsoo laughed at my choice of words and pulled me towards it. We got on as they were loading the next set of people.

After being seated in the rockets, the riders pull up briefly beneath the control tower. After a brief pause, the music begins and the rockets turn right to ascend in a room where red lights crisscross the walls. At the top of this first lift hill, the rockets wind through a tunnel, surrounded by blue lights streaking past them. Throughout these initial scenes, sound effects and dialogue on the on-board speakers reinforce the idea of the rockets being powered for launch. Next came the second and longest lift hill, in which a long tube of glowing, red bars appears to rotate around the rockets, disorienting the guests. The music es at the exit of the tube, where the rockets level out to give guests their first look at "space"—in actuality, the dark interior of the mountain, lit with projections of thousands upon thousands of stars, galaxies, asteroids, and other cosmological bodies. Gusts of wind are constantly blowing in the mountain caused by air vents and other rockets.

I got off and smiled like an idiot. That was great!

“If you liked that, than let’s go on the water ride. That is super fun!” Myungsoo dragged me to the other side of the ground. We took out places the boat slowly went up the hill-like tower. I quickly held onto Myungsoo’s hand, not wanting to know what is down below. Once we reached the top, the boat descended at the speed of lightning, pealing my skin off my face. A big wave was created as charged into the river, soaking us inside out.

I shook myself after escaping from that cunning ride. Can you buy me something warm? I’m freezing. I moaned.

“I think there is a clothing shop somewhere in here. They put it here because of this water ride,” Myungsoo explained. I nodded whilst I shivered under my damp clothes. “Ah, there it is!” Myungsoo wrapped an arm around my shoulders and led me to the shop.” He quickly got a towel and told me to dry myself whilst he picked out some clothes. I went into the dressing room and Myungsoo passed me a thin black top and some grey baggy sweatpants over the curtain.

When I came out, Myungsoo was dry and changed as well. He wore thin grey top and black sweatpants. We are all opposite! I grinned.

“Oh, I guess we are. These are the only menswear that looked good,” he reasoned.

I’ll pay! You paid for nearly everything! My turn! I quickly wrote. He looked a little upset but I didn’t care! It would seem unfair if he paid again.

“I will pay for food then!” he called. I shook my head as my pupil circulated my eyes before paying for the clothes.

We went out to get some food. Myungsoo kept playing with his soup noodles. Is something wrong? I asked after placing my chopsticks aside.

He looked up with sad eyes and nodded. “Sungjong, I have something to say. My uncle has a friend who is a surgeon in London. The friend said he could get rid of this side of my face. I have to go London. I don’t know when I will be back or if I would come back,” he said softly.