Chapter Four - Breaking News

Throwback 2012: First Meeting and Second Hello

Na Young POV

 

After our trip I stayed at Hansol's place since his sister insisted I have dinner there. Mingyu was with us too, he has been a little clingy ever since Hansol agreed on them becoming friends. Mingyu made sure he was in charge of the conversation as we all ate, as for Hansol and I, we just ate quietly since we were too tired to do anything else. But he would constantly steal glances at me and whenever I caught him doing so he'd choke and look away. He's been acting so weird lately. What is up with him? 

 

As soon as dinner was done we went to Hansol's room and chatted for awhile. Well, it was Mingyu who actually did all the talking, he was really funny and weird. He kept trying to converse with us in English and Hansol kept correcting him every time he said something that sounds so wrong in so many levels, like that one instance when he saw a bag of chips left on my bag he enthusiastically said "You want Hansol? Let's eat Nayoung." Hansol's eyes were wide like saucers. "Mingyu, what the heck? Why would we eat her?" he hit Mingyu's head. Mingyu looked like a confused puppy who just got "accidentaly" hurt by his master until Hansol explained everything. "You see now, Mingyu, proper grammar help save lives."  says the great Hansol. 

 

Soon enough we all got sleepy and decided to head home and call it a night, which was, if you ask me, long overdue; it was already 2 in the morning when the two finally decided that yes they can survive a few hours away from each other.

My house was only 3 houses away from Hansol but both Mingyu and Hansol insisted they made sure to walk me home. I kissed Hansol's cheeks like I always did and as for Mingyu I did not know how to bid him goodnight so I offered my hand for him to shake but he insisted on hugging me. What a touchy guy he is.  "Nayoung, sleep tight, don't bite the bed bugs." he says confidently. Hansol just rolled his eyes at him, he seems to have given up on correcting Mingyu's grammar. "Ugh, yeah. Okay." I replied awkwardly not knowing what to say. "Goodnight, you guys! See you tomorrow!"

 

 

The moment I entered our house I was greeted by my father. "Okay, I can explain..." I immidiately said swallowing hard before I start saving myself from eternal damnation. He must be demanding some explanation as to why I was out so late. "Noona..." Samuel ran to me before I could even start, and with the tone of his voice I immediately knew he had been crying. "What happened? Are you okay?" I asked. Samuel did not answer me, all he did was cry some more. To my surprise I saw my dad with my mom. I haven't seen my mom in 8 years since she last got married. Samuel and I both thought she never cared because she just left us so we also decided not to care about her. I mean, why bother? She chose some other guy over us, her family, anyway. "Honey, we need to talk..." says my dad as he tried to usher me towards the living room. I felt sorry for my brother for he still hasn't stopped crying."What's this about?" I asked nervously. The last time I heard my dad say those words we had to move 6,000 miles from home!

"Na Young-ah, listen, your mom and I decided that it would be better for the both of you to spend some time together with Aaron." my dad says without even looking me in the eye. He must have been embarassed by his decisions. "What? Who's Aaron?" I asked confused. "Aaron's my new husband." my mom finally talked."What happened to Aldrich?" I asked, last time I checked she was married to Aldrich, the family-wrecker doctor. "He... Uh... Him and I are over." my mom explained. "Since when?" I continued with my questions. "It's been 3 years since our divorce." she continued with providing me new informations about her life. To be honest I was quite annoyed. She had yet another divorce and instead of coming back to us she chose to look for another man. I was again finding reasons to be angry at her.  "Why did you divorce him? Let me guess, you "fell in love" with Aaron and decided to bolt, huh? Like always, right?" I was pretty sure I was crying as I spat those words at her. My parents just sat there in silence while my brother looked at me horrified. I stood up, ready to leave the house seeing as I wasn't going to get a response or a well-deserved apology from my mother. "Na Young," my mother tried hugging me. "I'm sorry, please allow me some time to be a good mother to you. I know how much I've hurt you in the past. Not a single day has past by in those 8 years that I haven't thought about you and Samuel." I cannot believe this, does she honestly think she can fool me with those words? "Mom, like you said.... It's been 8 years...." I moved her hands away from me. "You're too late. 8 years too late." and with that, I left.

 

It wasn't till I reached the park that I realized I have been crying. I was more hurt than angry. I cannot believe her. Why does she have to come back and destroy my family again. She destroyed it the first time she left, now that we were finally okay and happy she comes back to yet again destroy us and keep us apart? What the hell is wrong with her? 

 

"Na Young-ah! Yah!" I heard Hansol's voice. I was too lost in my thoughts to realized what I was doing. I may have unconcisouly dialed Hansol's number and to be quite honest I was glad I did because there's no one else in this world I'd rather talk to than him. "Hansol," I finally answered. "Yah! Seo Na Young! I was so worried! Do you even know what time it is? Are you trying to kill me? Why are you calling so late? And why the hell won't you answer the damn phone?! Do you even have any idea how many "hello's" I've already said?" he kept scolding me until he finally realized I was crying. "Na Young-ah, what's wrong?" his voice softened up. "Listen, I'm not really angry at you. I'm sorry. I just got scared, you normally wouldn't call me this late..." he tried to explain. "It's not you Hansol... It's about my mom. She's back and she wants to take us away..."