Count on Me

Lollipops and Roses

A thousand and one thoughts came rushing through Seunghyun's head the moment he saw Dara crying. He didn't picture this, he wasn't prepared to see her sad and broken. Before coming back, he prepared himself to see Dara in the arms of Donghae, smiling and laughing. The opposite image had his mind reeling. It broke his heart to see her hurting and alone. Before he knew what was happening, he was walking towards Dara. He didn't know what to do, all he wants is to make Dara stop crying. He would do anything humanly possible to stop Dara from crying. 

Slowly, gently, he sat next to her. He felt like he was sitting next to the most precious, most fragile thing on earth. Dara didn't notice him, she sat there with tears streaming down her face, seemingly lost in thought. Seunghyun was always awkward when it comes to comforting crying people so he did the thing he always did. He reached inside his pocket, cleared his throat and presented a lollipop with his open palm. Dara was brought of her brooding and blinked away her tears. She stared at the offered candy for a moment before it dawned on her; her Seunghyun is back! Without second thought, she flung herself into his arms and welcomed him back home. 

Moments later, Seunghyun found himself in the familiar living room surrounded by Dara's parents and her brother. It was awkward since they kept on throwing questions at him, never minding that he wasn't comfortable with the attention. Dara was enjoying his discomfort and for a moment, he didn't mind the torture of the hundred questions fired at him. As long as he sees Dara smiling and laughing, he would gladly suffer. 

He wasn't able to get Dara to himself all night. He wanted to talk to her, find out why she was crying but he decided to leave it for another time. Maybe Dara was just missing her boyfriend. Her mother said that Donghae was sent on a business trip. It was funny how relieved he was at the thought that Dara isn't broken, she's just missing the person she loves. 

Two days later, Seunghyun saw Dara again at the university. As fate would have it, Dara is studying at the same university he will be teaching in. Although Dara was in a different faculty, he was relieved that there were more chances of him seeing his Dara. It was a chilly day, and no body was insane enough to stay outside at the park, no body except him and Dara. He found Dara staring out to space again, a melancholic expression on her face. Seunghyun could feel his chest tighten again. He resolved to talk to Dara about her problem and do everything he can to solve it. Once again, he magically procured a lollipop from his jeans pocket and offered it to a surprised Dara. She just offered him a meek smile. She didn't seem to be in good condition, he can tell by the vacancy in her eyes. 

"So," Seunghyun began "what's bothering you? You don't have to tell me if you're uncomfortable with me. But please remember that I'm still your Seunghyun." ​

Dara took a moment, inhaled deeply and said "Thank you. I'm just tired. You know about Donghae right? It was our anniversary two days ago...he missed it." A small tear escaped her eye, she quickly wiped it away. Dara tried to smile but it only broke Seunghyun's heart more. 

"I heard it was for work, he has no control over it. Don't take it personally." Seunghyun said. He didn't see Donghae as competition. Instead, he saw him as the man whom his best friend chose. He doesn't want to say bad words about him, he just wants Dara to be happy. He wants Dara's fears to disappear. 

"I know. I know he didn't mean to miss our first anniversary. I know that I'm being needy. But I just can't help but feel that we're drifting apart." Dara sighed, seemingly frustrated with herself. 

"Come on, let's not dwell on this. He will come back soon and make up for his absence. But for now, you have to be my tour guide. I'll get lost in this campus." Seunghyun flashes his breathtaking smile at Dara, an attempt to distract her from her melancholy thoughts. 

It all started normal enough, Dara showing Seunghyun where the parking for the staff was, the cafeteria (which he should never eat in unless he wants indigestion), and other vital spots in the campus. As they were walking around, they reminisced about their past mischief and what happened to their other friends. 

Seunghyun was goofing off in the gymnasium, rolling on the bleachers because he claims that his feet hurt. He was pouting and telling Dara to take responsibility and buy him food. Dara was laughing so much, it felt really good to have her best friend back. 

"I missed you, Seunghyun. I really did. I'm glad you're back." Dara said with a somber expression, staring at Seunghyun.

This caught Seunghyun off guard, he's not used to Dara being vocal about anything except when she's up to no good. To get rid of his awkwardness, Seunghyun jested "I know you missed my devilishly good looks, so stop staring now." 

"Hey! Don't delude yourself! Well fine, you did become a BIT cute...but I liked you better when you were like a cuddly teddy bear." Dara stuck her tongue out and laughing at Seunghyun's expression. They laughed at each other, settled side by side and relished in the silence of their company. The familiar feeling of contentment flooded them and both got lost in their own musings, just like in the past. 

Dara felt grateful that Seunghyun is back. In all the years that he was gone, Dara lost her confidante and her partner in crime. There were many things that she wanted to say to him and not anybody else because she knows that Seunghyun would never judge her. Seunghyun had this ability to make her at ease enough to let her guard down. Sadly, she wasn't like this with her boyfriend. She figures that it's because boyfriends and best friends are different. 

Seunghyun finds himself in the comforting silence of Dara's company again. He realized that he missed Dara more than he even fathomed. Being around her again intensified what he felt for her, he didn't even think it was possible. Mustering all his courage, he wrapped his arms around Dara and pulled her in the tightest embrace he could manage. He breathed in her scent and embedded how he felt at that moment in the recesses of his brain. He knows it won't happen again, it can't happen again because he knows that his resolve to remain as just a friend, just her Seunghyun would vanish. He gave in to his selfishness and embraced Dara with all the love he has for her. Promising to himself that this would be the last time, he told himself that he's doing the right thing. Donghae, from what he heard, was a good man and they are in love with each other. 

Dara was taken by surprise by his actions. She looked at him with wide, confused eyes. Seunghyun gathered his wits again and smiled at Dara. "Don't be sad any more. I'm here now, you know you can always count on me." This time however, Dara saw something in Seunghyun's eyes, something akin to sadness and she felt her chest constrict. It felt like something will change from that moment on and she didn't feel it would be so bad.