Fate

Lollipops and Roses

Seunghyun arrived in Seoul after grueling hours on the plane but all that occupied his mind was the image of his true love. This might sound too cheesy but ever since that fateful day, no other female was a "woman" to him. The beautiful face of his first, true, and only love never left his consciousness, and subconscious, even for a day of his life. If he weren't a minor when his family migrated, he would've stayed behind. He still remembered the time he told Dara that he was leaving for another country. The usually stoic face of his friend twisted into a frown and a tear escaped from her clear eyes. She tried her best to remain impassive after that but her emotions were too much. She was going to lose her best friend, no body would be able to understand her as much as Seunghyun. 

They met when they were both in 5th grade. Seunghyun was a transferee and was running late for school. He made a wrong turn and found himself lost in a small alley. He was about to turn back when he saw a group of young boys ganging up on a little girl. Without second thought, he swooped in between the boys and the little girl, intent on protecting her from the bullies. He lifted his fists to his chin, a fighting stance his brother taught him, and told the bullies to leave in his most intimidating voice which was more like a squeak. The bullies just laughed it off, who would be intimidated by a small pudgy boy whose voice hasn't even matured yet? The bullies punched and kicked Seunghyun until he couldn't stand anymore. Just when he thought he was going to die, a loud high pitched sound was heard from behind him. The little girl didn't leave him, she blew a whistle to signal for help. The bullies were scared off and ran before adults came. The little girl took out her handkerchief and tried her best to wipe the blood off Seunghyun's face. Through bloated eyelids, Seunghyun saw the most beautiful girl he's ever laid eyes on; eyes slightly scrunched up in worry and lips in a slight pout. It took him a moment to realize that the little girl was talking to him. 

"Sorry for getting you involved in that. And for taking too long to blow the whistle. It got lost at the bottom of my bag. Thank you for stepping in but next time don't bother." The little girl stated. There was something peculiar about this girl. For a moment Seunghyun was dumbfounded. He got up on his feet, with a little help from the girl, he almost cried in pain when his full weight was on his feet, his left ankle seems to be twisted. That's when it hit him "Why aren't you crying?" Why wasn't the little girl even shaken up about what happened? The fear that it happened all the time to her sunk his heart. "I had it coming. I knew it was a matter of time before they had their sights on me. I'm weird and I do not have that much friends. That's why I bring this whistle with me all the time. It took them longer than I thought so it got lost at the bottom of my bag." She stated plainly. 

Seunghyun was speechless again for the nth time. He doesn't know if he respects the girl for her bravery or scold her for it. But from that moment on he only knows one thing, he wants to stay by her side and protect her. He wants to know more about this beautiful and mysterious girl.

"Choi Seunghyun." he says while extending his hand "let's be friends" The little girl hesitates for a while and Seunghyun grabs her hand, shaking it softly. "Friendship is the least you could give me for saving you back there." A small smile escaped the little girl's lips and suddenly Seunghyun doesn't feel any more pain. "Park Sandara, you can call me Dara."