Chapter 4-We Meet

A Wolf's Heart

     Daniel climed up a church to find an open window to get inside, he enters the church to sit and relax for a while and heard something below him, looking down there was a girl. Daniel tries to hide but ends up startling a bird as it flew away and the girl looks above her. Is somebody in here?, Daniel takes a deep breath, Is somebody in here?, you're asking me?. I'm sorry, since when do people lock churches anyway?, she asked while picking up her reasearches and drawings. It's a sacred place, it needs to be protected, Daniel answered. Well I didn't steal anything, I'll be on my way, as she opened the door, wind blew her papers out of her hand towards Daniel. Daniel picks up one of her drawings which seems to be two wolves and looks at it with curiousity. What is this?. Figure studies for a graphic novel, like these, showing her books that she wrote. Which one has the wolves?, Daniel asked. The next one, she smiled, my name is Aria, I'm here for research. And trespassing, Daniel finished her sentence. She smiled again, I've heard in some places wolves were kind of like worshiped but I didn't think they meant it literally, not just a normal wolf, wherewolves. They weren't any kind of monster. What were they then? They were the best of man, best of beast, shape shifters I guess, until they were wiped out. And ledgens Daniel says while handing her back her drawing. So your novel, it's not about monsters?. It's just us humans right?, hey were you hideing, or what? She asked changing the subject. Daniel starts for the door. Wait what's your name?, I'm sure you have a name. Daniel looks at her, they had names. She looks at him a little confused. Daniel makes a small shrug, Why should we?. It's bad luck to break into a church, Daniel says as he leaves and she follows behind him already losing him in sight. Daniel hears another girl screaming for help at a gate and opens it to let her out and continues walking. Come on now cousin, it's not like we were going to hurt her, you have to let us have our fun. That's what you said the last time about the other girl, you know the law Ezera. Right the law, Ezera replied looking through the girl's purse. Pretty soon there won't be just one girls but others, when they come with guns it wont just be you it will be all of us Daniel explained. It's not like you've been there. Yeah Daniel, come on we weren't going to hurt her we were just playing around, Ezera's friend said backing him up. We know the risks Daniel, same as you, his other friend said. Yea, we all know Gabriel's law, his third friend said. "Hunters a pack or not at all" they all said. Ezera jumps down in front of Daniel, and the laws he'll have for you, he smirked. They all leave Daniel laughing at him again and Daniel walks the other direction on the way home.