What does it matter...

Mino ya Minho

“It is difficult, when faced with a situation you cannot control, to admit you can do nothing.

Min

I slowly lean back in my chair. Yu Seol plays with her hair. She always does that when she is distressed. I let out a deep sigh. It’s hard to find words for this kind of thing. It’s partly my fault that everything turned out like this. Should I tell her that I lied to her? I also heard from Minho that those two aren’t dating. ‘Jung…’ I begin hesitantly. Yu Seol lets go of her hair and looks up at me questioningly. ‘I need to tell you some things.’

 

Third view

‘Wow’, Jonghyun says after hearing Minho out silently.

‘I’m really sorry I never thought that things would turn out like this. If I knew before Min had thoughts like that I would have cleared the misunderstanding immediately.’

Jonghyun covers his face with his hands and rests his elbows on his knees. ‘And then she witnesses Se Kyung kissing me and the lie becomes the truth’, Jonghyun says slowly.

He suddenly stands up and heads towards the door. Minho quickly goes after him and grabs his arm. ‘Wait!’

‘I need to see Yu Seol!’ Jonghyun says with determination. ‘You can’t’, he says holding him back.

‘I can’t stand it anymore’, Jonghyun says with a strained voice. ‘I have this heavy feeling in my chest. It feels like she’s getting away further from me every passing second. And I can’t stop her.’

‘I know’, Minho says looking him in the eyes. ‘But allow Min to explain the truth to Jung. She lied to her. It would be bad if she learned the truth from someone else. How would you feel if you heard this from someone other than me?’ Jonghyun shrugs Minho off and goes back to the couch. ‘I’ll wait…’, he clenches his jaw staring into nothing.

 

Min

I keep looking at Jung, but she still doesn’t say anything. After a few killing seconds she responds: ‘I see.’

‘I’m sorry! I panicked and said a lie like that’, I say for the thousandth time. Yu Seol smiles at me, but it doesn’t reach her eyes. ‘I know you only tried to protect me. I’m not angry with you.’

‘Then why are you still like this?’ I ask not being able to stand it anymore.

‘It doesn’t make any difference. I can’t erase that moment Se Kyung kissed him. Whenever I think back about it I get angry,’ Jung sighs as if she’s trying to lift a heavy weight off her shoulders.

‘And…He really hurt me when he kissed me. He made me feel… like he found a new toy to play with.’

I decide not to ask further hearing her voice tremble. Instead I scoop closer and embrace her.

After I put Jung in bed I message Minho, even if I’m angry with him he needs to know this.

 

Third view

‘Who is it?’ Jonghyun asks. Without saying anything Minho shows him the message.     

‘’Min: I told Yu Seol everything, but she still can’t forgive Jonghyun.’’

‘What?!’ Jonghyun looks at Minho bewildered. ‘Okay, for now calm down’, Minho says ready to hold him back if he flares up again. ‘I need to speak with Yu Seol’, Jonghyun tries to go again, but Minho restrains him.

‘Are you even aware of the time?’ He says sternly. ‘It’s too late and you need to cool off first! Keep your head clear!’

He pushes Minho off and takes his jacket. ‘I’m going outside.’ And he disappears.

Minho calls Min despite the late hour. After the second ring she picks up.

‘Hello?’ She answers softly. Just hearing her voice makes Minho melt.

‘Jonghyun went out. He’s agitated,’ Minho says with the same soft voice.

‘Jung is having a hard time, right now. She saw those two kiss and what he did today made it worse’, she explains trying to fill up the silence.

‘He tried to show his sincerity since everything that happened was out of his hand’, Minho says trying to come up for him.

‘But that doesn’t give him the right to confess to her and kiss her when he knows in what kind of state she is’, she says persistently, ‘forgiving someone isn’t that easy.’

‘What is there to forgive? He didn’t do anything wrong’, Minho responses bewildered by her words.

‘Being ignorant is also a bad thing’, she fires back. ‘He shouldn’t have let his guard down with Shin Se Kyung around him.’

‘You should also consider the fact that he didn’t betray her’, Minho hisses back. Just like I didn’t betray you, he thinks ruefully. ‘Everyone makes a mistake, Min’, Minho continues softly. Suddenly it felt like they were talking about their situation. It also went out of board like this.

‘If someone makes a mistake they should make up for it’, she says harshly.

‘Do you even give a chance?’ Minho fires back.

Min gasps not expecting him to turn the question to her. ‘Do you do your best? To me it seems like you pull me one step closer, but then push me two steps back.’

‘You don’t even allow me to hold on to you. You step back further away every time I try to reach you’, Minho says with a strained voice.

‘Why do you involve our situation now? We were talking about Jonghyun and Jung…’ Min says with a cold tone.

‘The situations mirror each other…’ Minho says, but Min stays silent on the other side.

‘We need to make sure those two talk it out’, she says changing the subject.

 ‘Yeah… We should make sure they reconcile’, Minho says with determination also making that decision for their situation.