leykai

utopia reviews. busy and featuring nod from epic.

 

 

leykai
reviewer: sapphirequeen
HIDDEN BEHIND WORDS
 
titlelooking for whether it's cliched or reveals too much 
it arouses mystery and confusion and reveals, maybe, a little about what the story will be about. 5/5

foreword/description: hooking? 
It's short and simple. It tells a little about the character's personality and what might possibly be in the story. However, it's missing the "bam! extreme hook alert!" x factor. 9/10

graphics: does it help enhance the story or not? 
there's no poster, but the background kind of conveys day dreaming and light romance. i'll give it to ya. 5/5

charactersdo they fit the story? you wouldn't put someone frolicking around during a funeral. are they developed and characterized? 
the characterization could have been a little better. i'm still not sure about the personality of the girl (all i know is that she's stubborn, naive and curious). luhan is an unreleting and romantic man. this could be developed better, but i guess the main point of the story was the letters. 14/20

appearanceof the story and its paragraphs. 
It's neat and well organized :) It doesn't hurt readers' eyes and the font's always kept the same. You correctly used one of two paragraph styles and the paragraph arrangement for the letters was always kep the same. 10/10

grammar: can i even understand you? 
i'm warning you; I'm very picky in terms of spelling and grammar.

"The scent of roses filled my tiny bedroom as I rise up from bed on a beautiful morning." You ROSE up from bed because the story should be in past tense. This issue appears quite a lot. "The scent of roses filled my tiny bedroom as I rose up from bed on a beautiful morning."

"I stretched and yawned, giving myself a moment to adjust my eyes for the light shining through my white, silky curtains." "I stretched and yawned, giving myself a moment to adjust my eyes to the light shining through my white, silky curtains."

"I slipped off of bed and pushed my flying curtains to the side and gazed at the golden sky." There are a lot of 'and's. You're also using a weird preposition that can be adjusted. "I slipped out of bed, pushed my flying curtains to the size and gazed at the golden sky."

"I spotted a light shadow, but as I was walking towards the door, it disappeared." Tenses. "I spotted a light shadow, but as I walked towards the door, it disappeared."

"Wake up, get dressed, work for a few hours and comeback home with all my energy drained." You're making a list. It's a dependent clause (not a complete sentence) because it's missing a subject. Also, tenses. "I woke up, got dressed, worked for a few hours then came back home with all of my energy drained."

Try to form a compound or complex sentence when you have a sentence that starts with a conjunction.

"I peeked one eye open and I see another envelope lying on my floor." "Peeked on eye open" sounds awkward. Tenses. Also, you lay a direct object down. In this case, the envelope is the direct object. Correct me if I'm wrong. "I opened one of my eyes and I saw another envelope laying on my floor."

"My mind was thinking..." You think. Not your mind. "I was thinking..."

"Now this was seriously making me curious." Tenses. "Now this seriously made me curious."

"'Eunmi! Remember you have another late shift tomorrow night!' I groaned but nodded." Technically if there is not obvious sign of who's saying the quote, then it is thought that the next person doing the next action said it, and I doubt Eunmi said that to herself. "'Eunmi! Remember you have another late shift tomorrow night!' the shop manager reminded me. I groaned but nodded."

"On the way I was walking, I got a glance into a music shop." You don't "get a glance" into a music shop and you don't need "I was walking""On the way, I glanced into a music shop."

"...pressed my ears against the thin walls." there was probably only one wall"pressed my ear against the thin wall."

"...until the music went quieter." Until the music quited/the volume diminished.

"The letters just keep on coming and coming." tenses and redundancy. "The letters just kept on coming."

"It became a habit of me expecting a letter each month." "Expecting a letter each month became a habit of mine."

There's actually a lot more but they're basically all the same issue: tenses. Also, there are grammatical errors in the letters, but I'll ignore those just in case they're just poetic devices. I'm kind of sleepy so I'm getting a little lazy. It's 11:00 PM here, lol.

10/20

spelling: comeback come back 9/10

flow: The flow was kind of chunky. You could have elaborated a bit more and added some transitions between months. Also, all of a sudden Luhan's her husband. What. 7/10

extras: Luhan's last name isn't Xi. It's a common misconception. The logic is weird. Also, you forgot to switch Luhan's POV back to Eunmi's. The originality of this piece was great. Not many stories have this idea. 9/10

total: 78/100=78%
 
comments: hey hey! :) the main issue in yout writing was the grammar, but I'm a tough grader in terms of that. I'm sorry if it feels like I ripped your oneshot bit by bit and that you've been stabbed in the heart or something! 
if you need anything, drop a comment or PM me. if you feel satisfied with this review, go ahead and upvote c:
review3