wallflower606

utopia reviews. busy and featuring nod from epic.

 

wallflower606
reviewer: sapphirequeen
 
titlelooking for whether it's cliched or reveals too much 
it's very eye catching and simple. for me, it drew on a bunch of questions and compelled me to read more, but there was this tiny voice in my brain telling me that the title was a little plain. It just seems like lots of long-distance relationship stories have something like that as a title. 4/5

foreword/description: hooking? 
Its really simple and intriguing. Me gusta. Even though bisecting sentences like that is a gramatical error, I think it adds a nice dramatic touch that really displays forlornness. 10/10

graphics: does it help enhance the story or not? 
Well, I'm a graphic designer but right now I'm reviewing the story. It matches the story and doesn't take interest away from it. i won't go all graphic designer rage now. it could be improved. just sayin'. 5/5

charactersdo they fit the story? you wouldn't put someone frolicking around during a funeral. are they developed and characterized? 
the characterization of the girl was well developed. i could really imagine this caring, innocent, loner-ish girl with short hair and a loving family, but was troubled and so therefore pondered about whether this kpop idol would really like her amongst a sea of other fangirls. It's great, really, but I think maybe you could have shown the Kpop idol's personality a bit more through the texts. 17/20

appearanceof the story and its paragraphs. 
It's neat and well organized :) It doesn't hurt readers' eyes and the font's always kept the same. You correctly used one of two paragraph styles. 10/10

grammar: can i even understand you? 
there were grammatical errors. I'm sorry if it looks like a lot, but I'm very picky in terms of spelling and grammar.

"I walked down the back alley of Yokohama." You don't really walk down THE back alley of a city, because there are multiple ones (unless there IS only one back alley and I need to study geography better, in which case you can disregard this. If I am correct then:) change it to "I walked down a back alley in  Yokohama." and maybe elaborate.

"A little off, there were those colorful small restaurants that sold ramen. Like, Ichibandoshi ramen shop, which was infamous for its takeouts." There is a comma splice after "like". Take out the comma. It is unnecessary. Also, capitalize "Ramen" and "Shop" because they are both part of the ramen shop name, right? Therefore they are both proper nouns. Another issue is that "infamous" means well known for some evil or bad deed, which I don't think you want to convey. Change it to a synonym of "famous". Next, the sentence is a dependent sentence (it's not complete), so actually combine it with the previous sentence and form a complex sentence. Lastly, the first sentence's adjectives should be switched around for easier sentence flow. The sentence, once changed, should look like this: "A little off, there were those small colorful restaurants that sold ramen, such as the Ichibandoshi Ramen Shop, which was renowned for its takeouts."

"'Oh, kon’nichiwa!'A man greeted me, and bowed." There's a comma splice again and you don't need to capitalize "a". "Oh, kon'nichiwa!" a man greeted me and bowed."

"'Ne.' and I leaned against the counter." You don't need the 'and', and make the period after 'ne' a comma. "'Ne,'" I leaned against the counter."

"But I was content to think of him. At least, dream of him." It seems like you're trying to emphasize 'think of him'. also, the second sentence is a dependent sentence and should be combined with the first. "But I was content with dreaming about him and even just thinking about him. "

"Walking back, the streets were all lit up, since it got dark pretty fast." Comma splice. "Walking back, the streets were all lit up since it got dark pretty fast. "

"Cars zooming in and out on the main highways, lights going on and off on signboards, windows filled with sale and discount coupons… the Christmas vibe." Dependent clause again, wrong prepositions, and could be better by using synonyms. Also, don't use elipses (...) like that. "Cars were zooming in and out of the main highways, lights were flickering on and off of signboards and windows were filled with sale and discount coupons— this was the Christmas vibe. "

"It’s all I’ve been doing for the past 11 months, idolizing, maybe even worshipping him." Use a semicolon. "It's all I've been doing for the past 11 months; idolizing, maybe even worshipping him. "

"I can’t remember how my life was before he came in." Add a direct/indirect object. "I can't remember how my life was before he came into it. "

"On the way I was walking, I got a glance into a music shop." You don't "get a glance" into a music shop and you don't need "I was walking""On the way, I glanced into a music shop."

"As usual, I walked near the railing, the very edge of the space that was guarded by iron railings and leaned my elbows onto it." add a comma after "railings" and you don't say "leaned my elbows onto it""As usual, I walked near the railing, the very edge of the space that was guarded by iron railings, and leaned forward onto it with my elbows."

"Just 781 miles away, he was sitting in his dorm or his house, relaxed. 781 miles away, he was probably thinking about how he'd spend the day tomorrow. What was he doing now?" you have to decide on which tense you're using. You keep on switching between present and past. 

"and oh so badly I want to see him." it rolls of your tongue nicer if you say: "I want to see him oh-so-badly."

13/20

spelling:  More often that not, it’s pretty empty. than
Atleast... this is what has become of me. At least 9/10

flow: Everything flowed in quite nicely :) 10/10

extras: The originality of this piece was okay. There are lots of stories with this particular mood/tone. The end was quite a surprise so creds to you for that. The oneshot's great in general :) 9/10

total: 70/100=70%
 
comments: hi there! :) i'm really sorry you only got a 70% because I really freaking thought that the story was amazing. The only issue was grammar, but I'm a tough grader in terms of that. I'm sorry if it feels like I ripped your oneshot bit by bit and that you've been stabbed in the heart or something! 
continue writing! you're really great! if you need anything, drop a comment or PM me. if you feel satisfied with this review, go ahead and upvote c:
review2