FRIENDSHIP

Misunderstood

 

They both arrived at the benches behind the school. It was a peaceful area that no one really bothered to come to. Sitting down on a bench, they began to eat silently. When Tiffany was done she looked up and saw how the green leaves were giving the hints of changing color. Another season has passed, another year gone so quickly. When she looked back down she noticed that Yuri was looking at her.

 

“What is it,” Tiffany asked.

 

“You,” Yuri said as she stared at Tiffany.

 

“Me what,” asked Tiffany again.

 

“You’re different from everyone else,” said Yuri.

 

“And your point,” the now mildly annoyed Tiffany asked.

 

Yuri finally broke contact and looked upon the ground. With a sigh she continued, “I feel like you are the only person in this whole school that doesn’t see me. It’s like you don’t care about anything…” Yuri turns her head and looks Tiffany directly in the eyes. “…and yet because of that, you are the only person in this school that sees me.”

 

Tiffany’s eyebrows furrowed. “I don’t understand what you mean,” she said confusedly.

 

Yuri turned her body towards Tiffany and leaned her arm on the back of the bench. She placed her head on her hand and looked at Tiffany for a second. “You see, everyone in this school treats me like I’m some untouchable goddess. Sure they say hi to me but then when it’s over they squeal over to their friends like they just talked to some super rock star. I mean don’t get me wrong, I love the attention. It makes me feel good. At the same time, I can’t help but feel like I’m going through this time alone. No one really takes the time to get to know me. I thought that everyone was like that until you sat by me that day. You didn’t care about my reputation or what others were saying about you. You did what you needed to do and didn’t think about anything else. Heh, I tried to talk to you but in your own way, you kinda blew me off several times. When I came back from being sick you finally took notice of me. Yes, everyone left cards and flowers for me on my desk but you were the only one that asked what happened. That really touched me Tiffany. That’s why I asked you out here today,” Yuri said.

 

Tiffany’s mouth parted a little as her eyebrows rose. She was completely taken off guard at what Yuri just confessed. She didn’t think she was doing anything to the girl in front of her. She was just being her normal indifferent self. She couldn’t believe that her little gesture of concern could have an impact on someone. She thought it would have been common courtesy. “I…I don’t know w...what to say,” stuttered the girl.

 

Smiling Yuri responded, “I want us to become friends Tiffany.”

 

Friendship was a foreign concept to Tiffany. Yes she could be friendly towards someone but no one really presented themselves as “friends” in her eyes. With disbelief Tiffany asked, “Are you being serious?”

 

Yuri stood up from the bench and kneeled down in front of Tiffany. She took Tiffany’s hands in hers and smiled. “I’m dead serious. It’s been far too long since I had someone that I could talk to, laugh with, just be myself with and not have anything else to worry about. It’s strange. I can’t quite understand myself why I want to get to know you more but I do. I respect you so much already for being true to yourself and not being afraid to talk to me. It would give me the greatest honor if you would allow me to become your friend,” Yuri finished. For the first time since the two met, Tiffany smiled at Yuri and laughed. It was one of the most beautiful things Yuri had seen. It’s a shame the girl doesn’t smile more often.

 

“That was so cheesy Yuri,” laughed Tiffany.

 

“And that’s the first time you actually called me by my name,” Yuri noted with a huge smile.

 

“You are right Yuri. That’s because I will accept your friendship,” Tiffany said.

 

“OMG! That is so awesome,” exclaimed Yuri as she stood up. The taller girl then attempted to hug Tiffany but was immediately stopped.

 

“Whoa there! We just became friends and you are already trying to smother me? No way, Yuri. The first thing you should know about me Yuri is that I am not a really affectionate person. If that is what you want then you will have to wait. We need to get to know each other first so respect my boundaries. I’m not trying to be cruel but that’s how I am okay,” said Tiffany.

 

“Okay. I got you. I won’t do anything that sudden anymore,” agreed Yuri. She stuck out a hand and offered a handshake. Tiffany looked at it and obliged. “Your honesty, that’s one of the things I like about you Tiffany.” Yuri noticed the slight blush on Tiffany’s face and smiled.

 

From that day forth, the two began to spend their lunches together in the back of the school. It started off simple, the two just eating in almost silence, occasionally striking up minor conversation. Gradually they began to open up a more, talking about their schedules, classes, and assignments. This did not go unnoticed as the entire school body began to wonder who this girl was and why she was allowed to get so close to Yuri. However, those two didn’t really pay attention and so did not know of the storm that was brewing in the school body.