Chapter 6 - The Twins

In that Young Detective's Hands

 

"Mind if I listen to it?"

The girl checked her watch and looked at him apologetically. "It's getting late. Maybe tomorrow?"

He stared at her for a while before he finally flashed a smile at her.

"I'd like that... Seo Eun'ssi."

 

Taemin opened the door fiercly to Jae Hyun's room and he jolted awake because of the light that begins to blind him from the outside.

"What the heck man!?" he growled like a vampire who loathes the sun.

The young one walked towards him with small footsteps as he gulped. "Jae Hyun'ssi," he spoke. "Where's Seo Eun'ssi..?"

"Uh..", the sleepy one groaned as he scratched his head. "In her.. room..?"

Taemin had his hands on his hips and sighed in dissatisfaction. "No she isn't, she's with Luhan'ssi."

Jae Hyun was now wide awake because of his statement. "How did you know?" But the latter only ignored his question. 

"We have to save her-!" As Taemin was about to run outside, the elder one held his collar. Taemin turned to him and Jae Hyun unexpectedly wore a blank face on. 

Taemin narrowed his eyes in puzzlement as it took a while for him to speak. "After my explanation, leave this room." he looked at him with stern eyes. "Got it rookie!?"

Though, Taemin only stared at him in response, Jae Hyun continued.

"I don't think she's in danger. Besides, she's the only one who can handle this people, none of us can. And if anyone can save her that should be me. Leave her alone, Taemin."

Taemin cannot even react since Dumbfounded was written all over his face and he didn't even notice Jae Hyun kicking him out of his room.

He can only mumble when he came back to life. "What just happened..?"

 

Baro turned to Gongchan who was about to leave the room. "Where are you going, maknae?"

The maknae made a sound that seems to belong from his stomach. He grinned at his hyung sheepishly.

"My tummy is begging for food~" he held the doorknob. Baro sighed as he turned back to his book. "Fine.."

 

Day 2

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

"What the-.. SINCE WHEN DID AN ALARM CLOCK GET HERE!?" Almost everyone complained throughout the whole mansion when an alarm clock appeared before them, striking at 7:00 in the morning.

Taemin removed his hands that were covering his ears as he got out of the bathroom. "The loud beeping of the alarm clock and their yells almost broke my eardrums... Now I'm thankful Key hyung made me an early bird."

He checked the suspects and apparently, all of them had gotten out of their rooms except for detective himself. "Might as well join them."

As soon as he got out of his room, it seems that the suspects were all around like a barricade over one particular mastermind.

"HAHAHA!! You should've seen the looks on your faces!" he took a peek and there was Jee In rolling on the floor. It was a good thing that they only past by her while murmuring incoherent words to her.

"She should get a life." Taemin heard Suzy said. "I seriously want to punch her right now..." - Jonghyun. "How annoying..." Kris hissed. "She's such a pain." - JoTwins. "I can't take it anymore.." - Sulli. "Despicable Wrench.." Juniel rolled her eyes.

Jee In only pouted like a little girl who got lost until a certain someone reached out a hand to her.

"I think you should really cease these pranks, Jenny'ssi." Jae Hyun was the one holding out his hand to her.

Jee In blushed as she sheepishly took his hand. "I told you, just call me by my real name like everyone does."

"We can't help it. Your codename really suits you, kiddo." Seo Eun beamed as she held her shoulders which she made the hoobae smile from ear to ear.

As Seo Eun pulled back her hands, Jee In immediately looked down and frowned. "Did my alarm clocks woke you up as well?"

Her sunbaes looked at each other and the girl stated, "We were actually awake before and just threw the clocks away, but yeah, we were kinda surprised at the loud noise along with the commotion."

"But we were just saying because you might get in trouble with them. It's...  for the best, Jenny." Jae Hyun had an eye smile.

Jee In just had to blush again at the sight. "Thank you for worrying about me but-" her sentence was cut off when they suddenly heard a commotion downstairs.

"What was that?" Taemin asked as he appeared out of the blue, for them.

"I-.. I don't know... Let's ch-.. check it out!" Jee In wanted to change the topic for an unknown reason. Taemin had to keep an eye on her as the four of them went downstairs.

 

"Did you do this?" Leeteuk asked Jee In with his lips formed into a thin line.

But the girl was staring intently at the item in front of her that she didn't even pay attention to what the elder said. Luckily, he got the answer.

"Uhm.. I think she's just as surprised as all of us are, hyung." Donghae whispered to him.

"So you're saying, the detectives placed a special calendar last night or something?" Amber raised an eyebrow as she crossed her arms.

"Yeah!"

All of them turned to look at the two boys who responded.Youngmin and Kwangmin had a creepy smile on their face and just when the others were about to ignore them, Taemin suddenly spoke, "You did this, didn't you?"

The Jotwins were rather surprised. "Boys, mind explaining what is this?" Leeteuk tapped the calendar at the back of her finger. The twins didn't respond, which was rather unexpected since they were being mischievous just a second ago and the fact that they respect those who are older than them. They stood still like a statue while the others kept on repeating the question when suddenly, they heard a growl.

Gongchan groaned. "Can we discuss this later? I'm starving here..."

Everyone raised their hands except for the twins who didn't even move a muscle.

 

After they had eaten their breakfast, the twins were finally back to their jolly self but was confronted by Leeteuk about what happened earlier.

On the other hand, Jae Hyun was walking towards Seo Eun, who's currently washing the dishes, with a worried face and she just had to notice it.

"What's wrong Jun?" she asked, using his codename.

Suddenly, he clasped his hands and looked down at his feet. "I won't be able to help you clean up the kitchen starting today since Leeteuk'ssi ordered me to continue the music video we've been practicing on with the other sunbaes. Please forgive me!" he explained without pausing.

Seo Eun had to chop him on the head to stop his from looking like a beggar. "Ow~!"

"I don't know you~`" she teased.

"Oh come on!" he whined while holding his head.

Seo Eun made a weird noise like an astronaut talking in space while holding an invisible walkie-talkie. "Commander Jun, a chocolate cake is waiting for you at the ship for your hard work and you'd better be there in..." she looked at her watch. "Precisely 1 hour and 30 minutes before the martians make a move."

Jae Hyun just had to smile from ear to ear at her cute acts and hugged her tightly with his cheeks pressing on hers. "You're so adorable, Seo Eun!"

He left with a wave, "See you at the ship!"

Seo Eun smiled at him and went back to washing the dishes and while doing so, she overheard the twins' conversation with Leeteuk. 

"Sorry hyung but it's probably the best if no one knows about it." Youngmin had his head hung low in shame.

"What? Why not?" Leeteuk asked in disbelief. The twins did not respond again but luckily, they did not stood like stones from like before.

The elder sighed as he pinched the bridge of his nose. "Never mind. You can go back to your rooms now and please, improve your cooking skills." and off he went.

The twins sighed in relief and was about to head upstairs when they noticed Seo Eun all alone, cleaning the kitchen.

"Uhm.." Kwangmin rubbed his nape. "Should we... help?"

Youngmin shrugged. "I... think we should."

"But don't you think our sunbaes are gonna be disappointed in us." the younger twin asked anxiously.

The older twin tried to think. "We'll just be careful." he gazed at the lonely girl. "We are the ones who supposed to wash the dishes."

Kwangmin nodded. "You're right. Come on let's help her!"

 

Jae Hyun was running through the hallway when a certain someone was lying on the floor.

"Ju.. Juniel'ssi..??" he picked her up, bridal style. The girl won't wake up so he had to bring her to her room.

 

"Whatchu makin', Seo Eun'ssi?" Kwangmin asked as he and Youngmin leaned down on each side of her.

She smiled at them and responded, "You can just call me Seo Eun and, I'm making my famous angel chocolate cake for my bestfriend."

The twins' eyes sparkled in delight as they sniffed her tempting masterpiece, just baked out of the oven.

"Want to help me?" she asked when she saw them following her every move.

"Yeah!"

 

Jonghyun held his collar and threw him hard at the floor. "What do you think you're doing!?"

"She charged at me!! I just saw her at the floor a few minutes ago and led her to her room! I swear, I didn't do anything to her!" Jae Hyun explained.

Jonghyun threw him out of her room but not after he punched him in the face. "If ever I see you with her again... I'll kill you."

Jae Hyun only sat there in astonishment and in disbelief. After a while, he stood up and went upstairs to practice. But he didn't notice that there was one person who sneakily witnessed the scene.

"Yah! Where have you been??" Donghae scolded Jae Hyun as soon as he opened the door.

Baro looked at him and can't help but ask, "Kwaenchanha?"

Still with a gloomy face, he was able to smile and nod at his hyung. Then he thought of Seo Eun and her cake, and he finally smiled truly. "Let's start!"

 

"Oppa, are you there..?" Yoona called out as she climbed up.

"Uh.. yeah.." Luhan only nodded. After a while of looking away from her, he noticed something off.

Yoona was staring at him morbidly. "Is there something.. wrong..?" he asked even though he already knew why she was staring at him like that.

"You... you're not wearing my favourite perfume.." she mumbled. "..or any perfume at all..?"

He cleared his throat. "I just think that, I should try something new."

Yoona started fixing up his shirt like how a woman does to her husband. "And I say, you keep using that one I gave you. It gives you that intoxicating approach, you know?"

Luhan started to think that he might not even like what Seo Eun was planning to make for him. "I-.. I'll think about it."

She sighed as she checked her watch. "Aren't you going to sleep yet?"

He glanced at her a bit. "I'll come down... soon."

She smiled at him and kissed his cheek before going down. Luhan frowned as he wiped the part where she kissed him. "Disgusting.."

He gazed at the direction where Seo Eun should be coming out. "I wonder if she even remembered last night."

 

"It looks so delicious~" The twins sang and was about to touch the icing until Seo Eun held their hands. "I'm sorry but it's not for you guys."

"Eh why??" Kwangmin whined. "We helped you, didn't we?" Youngmin pleaded.

The girl thought for a moment. "Well, I guess I could give you a slice.. or two." she smiled.

The twins watched her slice the cake gently with her small hands. "Do you need any help?" Youngmin asked.

But she already placed two slices of cake in front of them. "But I'm already done."

"Yay~! Kamsamhida~!" they clapped and bowed to her before digging in. "Jae Hyun's gonna kill me." she shook her head with a giggle.

The twins immediately stopped. "The cake is..", Youngmin started. "..for Jae Hyun'ssi?" Kwangmin finished his sentence.

Seo Eun blinked. "Y-.. Yeah.. who did you think it was?"

"I guess we didn't really hear that it's for your best friend.." Kwangmin reasoned.

She shook her head. "That's... actually not what I meant but okay. I was talking about, so what if it's for him?"

The twins looked at each other then back to her. "They're going to stay up late. So what about the cake?" they simultaneously said.

The girl thought for a moment. The twins went back to eating while she had her moment of silence.

"We just lost her smile." Youngmin frowned. "What should we do?" Kwangmin asked then Youngmin thought of something.

Seo Eun sighed and smiled at them half-heartedly. "I'll just leave him a few slices and hide the rest in the fridge."

"We'll guard it for you!" they raised their hands voluntarilly. She giggled. "Thanks."

She was about to place the cake inside when they suddenly spoke. "What about you? Aren't you going to take a slice for yourself?"

Seo Eun stared at them for a little and suddenly laughed whole heartedly. "Yeah, I think I will." and placed it back on the counter to get a slice for herself.

"Wa~ So good~" the three of them sang and soon, finished their dessert. Seo Eun wanted to wash their plates but the twins insisted that they should since she was the one who gave them her free chocolate cake but in the end, they all agreed to wash their own plates.

"Seo Eun'ssi... I mean, Byul'ssi? Or..." Kwangmin thought for a moment.

Seo Eun chuckled. "Whatever you prefer but as you know, you two are older than me."

"Then doesn't that mean, you should call us 'Oppa'?" Youngmin asked as he finished washing his own plate and Kwangmin took over to wash his own plate.

She tried it in an inaudible voice and waved her hands. "Nah~ I'll just call you by your names. I like it."

"We like your name too." they smiled at her.

"Let's just drop the formalities, alright?" Kwangmin suggested.

"Aye aye!" she saluted before she made her way to the sink that made the twins laugh in glee. "You're so cute, Seo Eun'ah~" they pinched her cheeks from both sides.

Seo Eun turned to them with a serious face and spoke with a rather deep voice. "Who said so?" and they all bursted out laughing again.

After a moment, she sensed that the twins became awfully quiet. "What are you, whispering or something?"

"How did you know??" Youngmin became wide-eyed.

She turned to him with her deep voice again. "I... was... just.. guessing!"

"Okay okay okay. Are you done with your plate yet?" Kwangmin asked.

"Wait, let me just dry my hands." she muttered. "Okay.. done!"

"We have a game for you!" Kwangmin spread out his arms. "Wow really?" Seo Eun became like a kid.

"Have you ever wondered which one of us is Kwangmin," Kwangmin touched his chin like there was an imaginary beard.

"Or which one of us is Youngmin?" Youngmin grinned cheekily.

Seo Eun puff out her cheeks. "Now that you mention, yeah.. Is.. that a bad thing?"

"Not at all!" Youngmin held her tiny hands.

"I think I know what your game is..." she suddenly smirked.

"You do??" the twins exclaimed.

"Do I have to guess which one is Youngmin and which one is Kwangmin, huh?" she bit her lip.

"Okay, this is driving me crazy but how did you know??" Youngmin asked with an amused smile.

Seo Eun bit her finger, which was sometimes a habit. "I thought it was kinda obvious given from the question you gave me earlier."

"Oh" the twins only nodded which shocked her.

"But I didn't mean it was lame or anything! I mean you're just trying to make your game the thrill and so-"

Youngmin held her shoulders. "Alright kiddo. We know you don't want us to feel bad and we appreciate it. So since you know what to do, let's go!"

"W-..Wait! I have to decide now??" she started to panick.

"Well if you already have an answer. You don't really have to be pick fast, you can think first." Kwangmin grinned.

She pouted. "But, how would I know which one of you acted the personality I know today if you introduced yourself to me many years ago??"

"Oh yeah.. why didn't I think of that?" Youngmin muttered. "What do we do?" Kwangmin asked in a low whisper.

Youngmin had a smirk on his face. "We'll just see if she can find out who we are."

Seo Eun squished her face with her hands as she let out a wail. "This is going to be hard~"

"Go Seo Eun!" Kwangmin cheered for her. She let out a low groan. "What do I do.."

"Uhm, maybe we can give her a warm up, don't you think?" Youngmin smiled uneasily.

"No! It's fine! I'll just have to follow my hunch." Seo Eun grinned.

"Uh.. okay?" the twins shrugged.

Seo Eun started to talk to herself. "Let me put a flashback from when Youngmin still had blonde hair. So, I think Kwangmin was taller than him but now.. I don't know. But there is something I know about siblings. The younger one always follow the older one. Youngmin and Kwangmin are both cheerful then hmm.. I don't know! But.. wait, Flashback Flashback! When I met them, it almost seemed like their personalities were already showing through their auras. Youngmin had a very cheerful aura while Kwangmin had a normal aura. It's like, Youngmin was a kid at heart and since Kwangmin is younger, he follows his older brother to be the cheerful one. Youngmin may not look as mischievous as Kwangmin at the moment but he still has that cheery inside of him. But Kwangmin can sometimes act like he's the older one but Youngmin is always the one to guide his younger brother."

Then she quite forgot who did who now since they awfully look alike now standing by each other. But what if.. "I think I know now."

"Really?" Youngmin grinned. "I can't wait!" Kwangmin beamed.

Seo Eun smirked at the small yet obvious gesture. "You're Youngmin" she pointed to the one on the left. "And you're Kwangmin!" she pointed to the right.

"And why is that?" Kwangmin asked. "Maybe it's because you already look like the younger twin." Youngmin whispered to him.

"In every sibling, the younger one must follow the older older one, atleast that's what I know." she explained. They were dumbfounded.

Seo Eun scratched her head. "That didn't really help. By all means, I can see that Kwangmin is obviously the most cheerful one than Youngmin but then he can also be the serious one at times while Youngmin is the one who helps his younger brother. Youngmin is cheerful too but not like Kwangmin. Although since he is the younger one, he probably got his mischievousness from you, Youngmin."

The twins were silent for a while before they answered.

"WRONG!"

She chuckled as she looked down. "Is something wrong?" Youngmin asked.

"That's too bad. I guess I just don't know much about you. I did have fun though." she giggled.

The siblings grinned. "That means a lot to us. Other people don't really give a damn about it. It may be just a game but, it's actually a memory."

"Is that so? Then I'm looking forward on winning in your game next time." She waved at them before heading upstairs. "Goodnight."

 

Youngmin was lying down on his bed as he stared at the ceiling while Kwangmin was thinking by the desk.

"Her explanation is... weird, huh?" Kwangmin looked over at his younger twin with a side smile.

Youngmin shook his head with a smirk. "No... more like our favourite." 

The younger sibling chuckled. "I can't agree with you more."

The twins were rather, happy and felth warmth in their chest as her face popped up into their mind the whole evening. She was quite different from the other artists they got to know.