Chapter 4 - Lunch

In that Young Detective's Hands

 

"Hey guys.." Hyoyeon stopped them. "I think the detectives intended to lock that door completely."

"But I didn't ask them to.." Taemin said in his mind.

All of them agreed and headed downstairs. "Alright who's cooking! Not me!" Suzy raised her hand.

Eventually, the last one to raised their hand was Jonghyun. "No way..." he groaned.

 

Taemin entered his room cautiously, as if there was someone hiding from him and plans to attack him. He checked every spot and eventually found nothing suspicious or no one.

He sighed in relief as he took out a painting from his luggage. Though, it looked like it was a normal abstract painting. When he placed his palm on it, it automatically activates and  transformed into a high-class technology that T&T owns. It is the controller of all the technology they placed around the area and the tracking device around the suspects but it is also his only communication with the other detectives. Yes, there were no surveillance cameras like what they mentioned but the one who keeping an eye on them, is none other than Taemin alone, who specifically placed the device on their doorknobs when the suspects touch it. He began typing his way through until a message popped out.

"Lee Taemin, do you have anything to report?" Taeyeon sent.

"There's nothing suspicious about them... so far... but did you perhaps, locked the door from the roof?" - Taemin

"Ah.. I forgot to tell you about that. We were actually going to keep it locked up so no one can escape but I guess it was locked in the first place. Why do you ask?" - Taeyeon

"They won't be able to escape since this has 5 floors." - Taemin reasoned.

"You never know if the real suspect actually kills him/herself." - Taeyeon said.

"Alright... Miss Taeyeon.." Taemin nodded, secretly disappointed.

"Be careful." - Taeyeon

Taemin abruptly closed it down and made a loud sigh. He placed it back in his luggage and grabbed his glasses, which enables him to keep an eye on the tracking devices at any time.

He was about to lay down when he spotted a red dot coming out of its room at the same time with a blue dot. Taemin opened his door ever so slightly to peek on them. There goes something fishy when Juniel and Jonghyun suddenly froze on their spots like robots. He eyed their movements carefully and saw how Juniel smirked at her side as if she was communicating with Jonghyun secretly, who only had a blank face on. After a while, when someone called Jonghyun, which appears to be Gongchan whining for food, they swiftly stopped and proceeded. 

When Taemin was sure that no one was by the hallway(floor actually), he fully opened the door and went downstairs.

 

"Let's eat~!" Gongchan was about to dig in until Baro slapped his hand. "Ow wae..?" he pouted.

"We're still missing Taemin, Seo Eun, and Jae Hyun." Donghae said.

"Those two are always together." Juniel whispered.

"Seo Eun and Jae Hyun?" Sulli asked.

"Something's fishy about them.." Gyeong Eun whispered.

Suzy sighed. "That girl is weird from the moment she entered the agency."

On the other hand, Taemin was eavesdropping them and as if right on cue, Seo Eun and Jae Hyun appeared behind him.

"Yo dude" Jae Hyun placed his hand on his shoulder.

"Why are you standing there?" Seo Eun asked.

Taemin stared at them as he thought, "They look completely normal. Why are they saying bad things to these two? Well, I guess I don't know for sure."

Jae Hyun snapped him back to reality. "Come on!" he tugged him to the dining room.

"You're acting weird." Seo Eun smiled at him.

 

"They're they are." Jonghyun sighed.

Jae Hyun and Seo Eun bowed in apologize while Taemin only stared at them which caught them a bit confused.

"Well trainee? Don't you want to sit down?" Leeteuk raised his eyebrows with a cold tone.

Taemin only nodded as he took a sit, which is the one beside Gyeong Eun and Juniel.

"So, Taemin right?" Juniel began talking to him while Gyeong Eun remained ignoring his presence. Taemin nodded slowly since he has food in his mouth.

"If I'm right, you were supposed to debut..?" Juniel raised her eyebrows.

"Next month." Taemin showed an eye smile.

"Well, I guess you lost your chance, boy." Gyeong Eun suddenly said arrogantly which caught them by surprise. Others would thought that he was gonna retort back but Taemin wasn't someone who makes an argument. Since the whole trainee thing are all made up, there really was nothing to feel bad about.

"I guess so." he simply agreed.

Gyeong Eun rolled her eyes at his ease and said to her mind. "This boy... is kinda annoying."

Taemin smiled at her a little. Gyeong Eun was about to look away but something made her stare at him for a while.

He raised an eyebrow and began wiping his face. "Is there something on my face?"

Gyeong Eun snapped back to reality and flashed a smile at him... which unexpectedly caught him by surprise by her beauty. Gyeong Eun noticed how he continued to stare at her and secretly whined in dismay, "And there goes Mister 15 in this agency..."

 

"I can't believe we have to wash the dishes.." Seo Eun mumbled in despair.

Jae Hyun frowned. "Why do we have to eat together anyway?"

Someone cleared their throat. "I think that was part of the rule that they gave to Leeteuk'ssi."

Seo Eun faced Taemin. "It's like you're a part of us as well."

"We don't really like getting along with them. You don't know what they're capable of." Jae Hyun said without looking at him.

"Why? Do they bully you or something?" the young one raised his eyebrows.

She sighed as she handed him a glass to wash on. "We're not one of them and... Jung Suk'ssi treats us two more special."

The name he always missed made his smile a little that Seo Eun caught. She chuckled.

"What?" he asked. "You must be close to Jung Suk'ssi as well, am I right?" she flashed a smile.

Taemin removed his gloves. "Something like that..."

"I'll... never forget him. You know what? Besides from being close with him as our boss, for me, It's like I've known him for years.."

He smiled at her, longingly for she cared for his father so much.

 

"So, are you going to be a soloist? Oh sorry.. I mean, were you going to be a soloist?" Jae Hyun bit his apple.

"Nah~ I have a few guys with me." Taemin thought of Onew, Key, and Minho.

Seo Eun sipped on her chocolate milk and laid on her stomach. "Really? What's the name?"

Taemin froze. He thought quick and hard for a name and something doesn't catch on in his mind until the word, "Replay" he said quickly.

They awkwardlyly nodded at the weird name. "Who are the other guys?" Jae Hyun asked.

Taemin blinked again as he thought of the guys' real names as fast as he could. "Lee Jinki, Kim Kibum, and... Choi Minho."

Seo Eun thought for a while before she shook her head. "Nope. Never heard of them."

Jae Hyun scratched his head. "The Minho guy is quite familiar though. I think I already heard of him somewhere..."

"Really?" she became impressed.

"Uhm, he was already popular in his pre-debut." Taemin spoke and they nodded in understanding.

 

"There's something wrong... about him." Jae Hyun whispered to Seo Eun as Taemin used his restroom. "Maybe.." she shrugged but a bit worried as well. Taemin came back. He froze as the stared at him with an unexplainable expression.

"What?" he took a step back. Seo Eun came closer to him that he almost stumbled. She opened her moutth but no words came out. She turned back to Jae Hyun for help.

"Look, Taemin.." he called over as he stood up.

"Yes hyung?"

"What's your-.." he stopped when he saw Seo Eun shook her head.

"Uh.." he turned back at the young one.

"Why did Jung Suk'ssi accepted you?" he held his shoulders. Taemin took another step back in bewilderment. It was not because he didn't know what to answer, but because there was something from his question that needs a specific answer he's surely unable to know.

BHe couldn't answer so Jae Hyun decided to get to the point a bit so he can understand. "What are you?" he eyed him down.

Taemin was getting a bit bemuse as he answered, "I don't think I know what you're talking about..."

As soon as he said that, both of them were in a complete shock. They faced each other and mumbled, "He's not one of us..."

Taemin heard it but didn't show it. His face scrunched up in confusion. 

They slowly faced him with an unexplainable face like they were facing a wounded puppy. "Taemin'ssi..."

Silence covered them for a while until Taemin spoke because of the tension around them. "Why are you looking at me like that?"

"Can you promise us something?" Jae Hyun pleaded.

Taemin gulped unexpectedly. "I'm not certain if I can promise something I'm not sure of."

"We can just hope..." Seo Eun squeaked as she looked down in blue.

"Can you... stay away... from them?" Jae Hyun closed his eyes before he accompanied her to her room.

Taemin's eyes followed his back as he said to his mind. "You're hiding something from me... Byun Seo Eun... Park Jae Hyun..."