Chapter 2 - Rules

In that Young Detective's Hands

As he got closer to them, as expected, all of their eyes were set on him. "Who are you?" one of them asked. Taemin studied their names and the one who just asked is the suspect named as the eldest amog them, Leeteuk from A-Cha.

He was glad that Sherlock is a secret team so none of them knew if he was the detective behind the one who did it all, or more importantly, if he was the son of the victim himself. "My name is Lee Taemin. I'm a trainee in BlueWish Entertainment... and I'm also a suspect."

"Impossible" a female voice hollered. As Taemin tried to find the voice, he found a girl smirking that was somehow the one who spoke.

"You must be Suzy'ssi, from Touch, isn't that right?" he bowed politely.

Suzy looked at him suspiciously. "Huh? I've never seen you before."

Taemin looked at them and smiled evenly. "You must've been too busy to recall your hoobaes despite the fact that we learn from our successful sunbaes by heart."

Most of them were rather taken aback. The others were confident that they haven't seen or heard of him, yet his presumable statement was quite undeniable as well. They grew utterly embarrassed that someone younger precisely taunted them so they decided to just ignore him for now.

On the other hand, Jo Kwon moved in front of them and almost squealed at the beautiful faces in front of him. Then he remembered what he said to Miss Taeyeon just a moment ago and he quickly took it back from his mind.

"I'm not even detective, why should I confront Taemin's instructions to them?" Jo Kwon can be very picky when someone assigned him something he wouldn't like, even at his own boss.

"But you are my assistant, Jo Kwon'ssi." Taeyeon gave him a bigger smile. He blew his cheeks when he suggested something that made his boss a bit pissed. "Can't you just do it since you're the boss?"

Taeyeon had enough. She stood tall from his seat and looked down at him like an angry tiger that made him whimper in fear. "Jo Kwon, if you don't follow my orders again, I'll literally go take you back to your parents." she threatened.

"But now I'm glad I accepted this once in a lifetime opportunity. My goodness, if the others can meet just about anyone, I should go ask Miss Taeyeon if she can give me a shot!" he said to himself as he mentally clapped his hands like an idiot.

After his flashback, he realized everyone has been giving him looks, including Taemin, ever since he stood there like a statue.

"I-I.. I apologize.." Jo Kwon bowed and became intimidated when he imagined Miss Taeyeon scolding him for being too unprofessional.. at the moment. He regained his posture to professional that kinda got them surprised.

But before he could speak, someone had the guts to interrupt. "So, are you the person behind all this?" 

Taemin searched for the person and discovered that it was one of their solo artists, Park Jae Hyun.

Jo Kwon squinted his nose. "Pfft, No. I'm just-"

"Do our fans know about all this?" a solo artist, Kim Jonghyun, also interrupted.

"No actually, but can you just-" Jo Kwon tried to shut them up.

"Then what if they realize we suddenly did disappear?"

"What will happen to our career?" the twins asked.

"Is this even legal?"

"Are you certain you'll find the culprit?"

"ENOUGH!" Jo Kwon stomped his foot that made them shut up.

Taemin sighed while smiling to himself. The three Sherlocks however, got even more worried.

People would expect that he would ignore their questions but the detectives knew better how curiosity can kill a cat.

"We'll make an alibi" he answered the first question.

"Nothing will happen to your career as long as you don't do anything stupid or if you are indeed the culprit." he answered to the twins.

"That would be recklecss if we did something dangerous without the government's approval." he answered the next question.

Then he thought about the last question. "As you can see, this case is something that.. only a qualified detective can accomplish. But the head of our agency... No... All of us from the agency, knows that that detective has the potential to succeed this case as planned." he secretly smiled at Taemin from them and he smiled back.

"And if someone asked me a question again, you have my permission of drowning yourself in the sea." Jo Kwon gave them a death glare. All of them turned their heads towards the sea and had no reaction whatsoever.

"So, let's finally start." Jo Kwon pinched the upper part of his nose.

Key sighed. "Well, that took a while."

"According to the detective, you cannot escape from this house," he pointed at the villa behind him. "unless you are told to do so."

"Any questions about that rule?" he asked. Two people raised their hands, Yoona and Luhan.

"What about our daily necessities?" Yoona worriedly asked.

"That's all taken care of." he answered. "What about you, Luhan'ssi?"

"What if someone escapes?" he asked.

Jo Kwon looked down. "You will die."

...

...

...

"You're kidding?" a tomboy called Amber suddenly spoke.

Everyone waited for an answer. Even Taemin didn't expect this. He was supposed to say that the police department will suspect that person even more but he changed it.

"Next rule" he avoided their stares which made them more curious why he was acting like that.

"The only technology you can use in this house is the television. We will confiscate all gadgets until we reveal the culprit. Any question in this rule?"

Almost everyone of them groaned in dismay for hearing that. Two people raised once again, Kris and Sulli.

"Are there CCTVs inside the house?" Kris asked cooly.

"Yes there is but you'll hardly see them. Next question."

"What if the culprit is not one of us?" Sulli timidly asked that made the others quite agree.

"The detective knows very well it's one of you guys." he answered confidently.

"I see." Suzy rolled her eyes but he ignored her.

"Next one, If something bad happens to one of you, keep in mind that we won't be much of help to anyone of you."

One of them already raised. "Yes?" Jo Kwon sighed, annoyed how he hasn't even asked for any questions.

"Sorry for being a bit curious but, what if one of us dies?" Gongchan asked that made Jo Kwon and all the detectives a bit startled.

"Just curious though." Gongchan gave a peace sign.

Silence covered them for a while until a rapper called Baro, cleared his throat. "Get on with it, it's freezing!" he complained yet charismatically.

Everyone regained their posture but stopped when Gongchan spoke again. "Why didn't you answer my question?" he whined like a kid.

Jo Kwon panicked, a little. His eyes searched for Taemin but he didn't understand what he was interpreting so he searched for the Sherlocks.

"You can do it!" Key only encourage him yet it just became worse for Jo Kwon.

He thought of an excuse and swiftly answered. "We will have no choice."

All of them grew quiet. "Last Rule, don't do anything reckless or we might put you to jail without thinking twice... or worse." Jo Kwon had a dark face on.

 

"This place is kinda cool~" Donghae grinned. "The sea is so breathtaking..." Seo Eun stretched her arms.

"Eh? They said that there are only 15 rooms but there are like.. 20 of us.." Kwangmin realized. Youngmin admired the house. "So does that mean.. 5 people will sleep at the living room." The twins chuckled. "Some of us may need to share a room." Juniel muttered.

"The house is so big.." Taemin pretended like he saw the house for the first time.

 

"Hey, I don't remember that included in the rules." Minho confronted Jo Kwon.

He eyed him carefully. "Where are your manners? I'm older than you, you know." Minho lowered him head in shame. "I'm sorry, sir."

Jo Kwon sighed. "You don't understand. Miss Taeyeon placed a techonology that Taemin didn't know and what more, I found... danger.."

Minho became puzzled. "I really don't get any of what you just said."

He sighed. "Now I'm more worried about Taemin. There is something that he doesn't know and it's not just the technology we placed here."

"It's the incident that happened on this place, right?" Key crossed his arms.

Jo Kwon nodded but shook his head as well, making them more confused. "That and one more thing..."

 

"So let's see.." Hyoyeon held the paper as the others sat down to listen.

"Hm.. it looks like those who will share rooms are those who are in the same band." she said with a cheeky smile.

"So it's like, Donghae and I.." said Leeteuk. "Me, Hyoyeon unni, and Yoona.." said Sooyoung. "Sulli and I.." said Amber. "Myself?" Suzy scrunched up her nose. "Us bros~" the Jo Twins said. "Hyung and I..." said Luhan.

"And the solo artists will have a room for themselves." Hyoyeon pouted.

"We should be." Jonghyun smirked. "Of course we do." Gyeong Eun held her knees. "Great!" Juniel hugged her guitar case. "Wow~" Seo Eun simply smiled. Jae Hyun nodded in disappointment. "That's sweet!!" Jee In grinned as she slid down on the stair rail. Taemin just chuckled. And that's where they noticed him.

 

"Taemin!!! Taemin!!! I need to get my baby!!!" Key reached out for their door while Onew and Minho pulled his hardest.

"They might suspect!" Onew complained.

"He'll be in trouble if you be like this in front of them!" Minho said.

 

"So... Taemin, right?" Suzy crossed her legs as all eyes were on him.

"That's right." he nodded respectfully with a smile.

"How long have you been training under BlueWish Entertainment?" Gyeong Eun asked.

"A year and a half, I guess." Taemin held his hands together. Some of them were rather surprised. "That fast?" "That's so unfair! I trained for 6 years!" "Is that true?"

"Are you sure about that?" Leeteuk eyed him. Taemin nodded.

Most of them didn't really care about him so they just went up to their rooms. The only ones who stayed with him were Gongchan, Yoona, Jee In, and Gyeong Eun. Gongchan was about to speak to him when Baro suddenly called him from the stairs. "Yah~ Before you exchanged a new hyung, at least unpack your things upstairs." he ordered.

"Alright, hyung!" Gongchan smiled and Baro went ahead. He smiled at Taemin and grabbed his luggage to follow Baro.

"Excuse me~" a girl grabbed his attention.

"Do you know me as well?" Jee In pointed to herself.

Taemin nodded. "You're Kim Jee In'ssi, you're the youngest artist from the entertainment."

Jee In jumped in delight. "That's right! I just debuted four months ago! Though, I'm not that famous yet but, I'm getting there."

The boy only nodded and turned his attention to another girl. "You must be Shim Gyeong Eun, right?"

The girl looked at him, uninterested, until she chuckled in amusement. "I'm not surprised that you know us. Besides, I'm not new like her." she pointed to Jee In.

Yoona became bored and took her luggage and went ahead. Taemin watched her cautiously before grabbing his things. "Is this why dad didn't want me to join?" he asked himself.