Chapter 5 - The Roof

In that Young Detective's Hands

 

"Can you... stay away... from them?" Jae Hyun closed his eyes before he accompanied her to her room.

Taemin's eyes followed his back as he said to his mind. "You're hiding something from me... Byun Seo Eun... Park Jae Hyun..."

 

"Dude, where are you going?" Kris looked over at his shoulder when he saw Luhan stepping out of the window.

"Roof, duh?" Luhan smirked at him as he climbed up.

Kris turned to him completely. "There's no roof."

Luhan stuck out his tongue. "There is below the greenhouse."

Kris shook his head with a sigh as he went back to his book. "Ain't my fault if something killed you there."

"You worry too much." Luhan chuckled.

 

"This treatment is kinda better than working our butts off everyday." Hyoyeon hugged her pillow.

"Tell me about it." Sooyoung agreed as she tied her hair into a bun.

"Come on! Let's go for some midnight snack! Yoona, want to come?" she asked her.

Yoona waved her hand. "I'll have to pass."

"Suit yourself~" Hyoyeon chimed as she shut the door.

Yoona stared at the ground and turned to the window. The cold wind flew past her skin and her eyes widened.

"Luhan..."

 

Taemin removed the towel from his hair and laid on the bed. He wore the glasses and checked the susects' locations. He sat up abrutly when he spotted Hyoyeon and Sooyoung on their way to the first floor. He got off from his bed and walked to the door but before he could even touch the doorknob, Yoona's red dot disappeared.

"What the..." he searched the third floor and that's where he spotted Yoona and Luhan on the roof which is below the greenhouse.

"Taeyeon'ssi might be right." he ran outside.

 

"You're sure you'll be fine by yourself?" Jae Hyun asked her worriedly as she tuck her in.

Seo Eun giggled. "I'll be fine, go."

He smiled at her warmly, kissed her forehead, and wave at her before leaving her room. Seo Eun closed her eyes but after a few of minutes, she sighed for she's unable to sleep. She turned to her side and stared at her curtain. It kinda bugged her when it usually lands on her face so she gets up to fix it but forgot to do so when her eyes caught the view outside.

"Beautiful..." she muttered. She checked the sides if there were any terraces and found none. But as soon as she looked at the sky, she found a roof, just below the greenhouse. "Perfect."

 

"Yoona.." Luhan was surprised as she walked towards him. "What are you doing here?"

"Figured you were here." she smiled as she sat beside him.

Then something sounded a bit from below. "What was that?" Yoona wondered as they searched around.

"System complete." Taemin said in his mind as he hid by the window, his device activated so he can listen to their conversation.

Luhan sighed in frustration. "Anyway, I really need to stop using that cologne or any for that matter."

"What can I say? I'm the best sniffer around." she smirked.

"That's because you're a cat." he shook his head.

"A cat? What does that mean?" Taemin's eyes twitched.

Yoona bit her lip. "I thought you'll protect me..."

He stared at her as the lights dimmed on her delicate face. His hand reached for her and Yoona closed her eyes, expecting him to caress her face but was astonished when he only ruffled her hair. "You have to know that what they are, is no different from who I am."

"When are you going to stop following him?" she leaned closer to him.

"He saved my life because he believed this stranger is stronger than he thinks, which I am." he pointed to himself.

Taemin grabbed his notebook and began writing some information. "I have to note this down."

Yoona frowned as she stared at her hands. "I don't want to hurt you, you're my bestfriend." he added.

"You only see me as a bestfriend." she pouted as she climbed down.

He sighed in blue. "She's still not over it." 

"Yikes!" Taemin tries to find a way out. His eyes landed to the door but if he would hurry, she might found out that someone was in the room, listening to them and if he tries to be quiet as possible, he'll be too late.

Yoona landed safely as she laid on her bed. After a few minutes, Taemin went out from her bathroom and tiptoed towards her door. She shifted a little when he almost slipped and checked if she was still sleeping. He slowly made his way out and ran to his room.

"Okay that was something else but maybe they're hiding something as well." he sat on his bed. "Now let's check on the others, shall we.."

 

Luhan took a great look at the view before climbing down until he saw someone familiar about to do something nasty.

"Hey Hey! Don't do it, idiot!" he held the girl's hand and pulled her into his chest. The girl's voice muffled as he continued to cuss at her for being so stupid. After a while, she relaxed a bit but he still didn't let go of her.

Then Luhan realized he was still hugging her. "I'm sorry-"

And the girl suddenly lost concious. "Wha-..! H-Hey!! Wake up! Did I hug you too hard? Stop kidding around!"

After a few minutes of shaking the lifeless body, he sat as if he accepted his fate with a calm look.

"Well, I'd better tell this to hyung." he was about to reach his phone when the girl woke up.

"Hey~ I was just kidding!" she smiled.

Luhan backed away in surprise. "What the f*** man! You nearly gave me a heart attack!" he yelled at her. The girl laughed so hard while the boy frowned.

"Aw~ Did I upset you that bad?" she moved closer to him which he doesn't respond. She sighed. "Probably the best if I just leave you alone now."

She was about to climb down when he suddenly spoke. "Why were you going to kill yourself?"

She raised her eyebrows with a pout. "Kill myself? Who said that I was going to kill myself?"

He looked at her in astonishment as he walked closer to her. "You were close to the edge!"

She pushed him so he wouldn't go any closer. "Don't take it the wrong idea, I wasn't going to kill myself and besides, I won't die."

He scoffed. "What do you mean you won't die?"

The girl slumped her shoulders as she sat down as well did he. "Well, you don't know what I am, huh?"

Luhan looked at her as if he wanted her to continue. "What? I'm not gonna tell you! You don't even know my name."

"Whatever, I'll probably know anyway sooner or later." he looked away.

Silence covered them but Luhan was the only one who felt awkward while the girl took her time to take a look at the beautiful view.

"Thanks for trying to save me anyway." she suddenly spoke but was still staring at the view. He only nodded as a response, feeling awkward again.

She silently chuckled. "Though, you almost killed me there."

He faced her in disbelief. "What? I only hugged you to prevent you to go any further!"

"That's... not what I mean. You nearly killed me there because of your stench." she chuckled.

His face became puzzled as he sniffed himself. "But I apply perfume almost everyday, even tonight."

"No offence but it really makes me sick, I swear I wanted to vomit on your shirt." she covered half of her face.

"But Yoona insisted I should wear it everyday..." he said in his mind. He sniffed again and thought, "This smell is getting old..."

The girl tapped her chin. "I have a few in mind..." she turned to him, "that is if you it's alright with you."

He thought for a moment and sighed. "Let me see first what you got."

 

"And... they're back in their rooms..." Taemin muttered as he watched Hyoyeon and Sooyoung enter their room. He slumped down on the floor and checked the other suspects.

"Everyone's in except..."

 

Luhan picked up a bottle after another. "Hm.. I've never seen these before.."

"That's because I made it." she browsed through her perfumes. He backed away a little. "Are you sure you know how to make these?"

She turned to him. "Oh yes!" She picked up a bottle. "But I only have a few for male colognes. They're specially made for my bestfriend."

Luhan coughed a little as he walked towards the window. "I think this is a bad idea."

The girl turned to him abruptly and smirked. "Ah~ You want one specially made for you?"

"No... that's not what I meant-.." he was interrupted when the girl started writing his name on a bottle.

"L.. U.. H.. A.. N... Hm... Luhan'ssi, Do you know your name is very unique?" she smiled at him.

He sat on her bed and crossed his legs. "It's not the first time. Many people said that already."

"No no no, your name kinda reminds me of a hero I read when I was little." she sat beside him.

Luhan couldn't help but felt touched by her words and became curious. "Mind if I listen to it?"

The girl checked her watch and looked at him apologetically. "It's getting late. Maybe tomorrow?"

He stared at her for a while before he finally flashed a smile at her.

"I'd like that... Seo Eun'ssi."