The Descendant

Beautiful People

 

Kibum bumped into Nicole right as he rounded the corner at the end of the corridor. She looked up at him in surprise before she smiled.

“Minho told me you were awake. I was just about to check up on you.”

Kibum pulled up the corner of his mouth slightly. “Thank you.”

She searched his face for a second. “Let’s get you something to eat. You look a little pale.”
He sighed but nodded and followed her as she led the way to the kitchen. Although he was set on finding Jonghyun his stomach felt empty, so he decided to see to that first.

“Everyone else have already eaten so you’ll have to eat in the kitchen today.” Nicole told him in an apologetic tone over her shoulder as they crossed the dining room.

“It’s okay.” Kibum assured her.

She gave him a smile and held the door open for him to go through first. Suddenly a thought popped into his head.

“When does Jonghyun eat?” he asked as he sat down at the kitchen isle. He had never seen him during their meals. “I’ve never seen him down here.”

Nicole frowned. “Well, he doesn’t really… socialize with us anymore.”

Kibum pursed his lips. So there was no chance of running into him other than going up to the third floor? Kibum's inner self made a disgruntled growl and he let his eyes follow Nicole as she started to make him breakfast. His mind didn’t stay focused for long though and soon he found himself trying to figure out what exactly he was supposed to do. He had no idea of how or even what it was the others expected of him. Everything had just spiraled down into a completely messy mystery ever since he had woken up in this mansion.

Nicole let out a sudden gasp and Kibum was pulled back to the surface of his concentration.

“Are you alright?” he asked, halfway out of his chair.

She turned around slightly to flash him a reassuring smile. “Perfectly fine. I just accidentally squashed my finger in the cupboard.”

Kibum sat down again, observing her skeptically as she turned back to continue what she was doing. She was obviously trying not to breathe heavily and Kibum thought he had seen sweat drops on her forehead when she turned. He was about to inquire more about it but got interrupted when the door opened and Jinki followed by Kangin entered. They both glanced at Kibum before they approached the girl at the stove. Kibum watched them curiously. It looked like they were having a conversation but none of them had moved their lips even a millimeter. He sat up straighter in his chair to try to comprehend what they were doing but just as he had done it the two men disappeared in black smoke and Nicole continued what she was doing as if nothing had happened.

“Excuse me, but-”

“Your breakfast’s ready.” Nicole interrupted him and put a plate with egg, bacon and bread on the table. Then she gave him a small apologetic smile. “I’m sorry, but I have something to attend to.  I’ll see you later.”

And before Kibum could even blink she had disappeared as well. He stared down at his plate of food slightly confused, suddenly not feeling like eating at all. Something was happening. There had probably always been something happening in this place, but Kibum hade a feeling that it was getting worse. He pushed the plate away with a grimace and stood up. He was becoming more and more irritated with how everyone disappeared just like that. It left him no chance whatsoever to follow them, which was what he wanted to do most of the time they decided to just turn to smoke.

Jin quietly made his way inside through the open door and Kibum threw him a glare.

“Why are you never around anymore?” He demanded of the cat in an accusing tone. “I have to do everything on my own.”

Jin didn’t pay him any attention. Instead he jumped up onto the kitchen isle and trotted carefully over to the plate of food. Kibum watched him in silence as the cat sniffed at it and then took a bite of the meat on the plate.

“You could at least show some appreciation. I was worried about you.” Kibum muttered as Jin jumped down again and made his way to the door with a yawn. Then he got up to follow the cat, not feeling like being left alone.

Jin led him upstairs to the library where he zig-zagged between the bookshelves and Kibum could barely keep up with the little that was visible of his tail around every corner. At last they came to a stop as Jin had found a rather comfortable looking armchair by the window and curled up on it to take a nap. Kibum hadn’t seen it before and assumed it was because he hadn’t cleaned that part of the library. He rolled his eyes as the cat started spinning contentedly, but smiled. It felt safe having Jin beside him.

To the right of the armchair, between two bookshelves, was a bust made out of marble portraying a man with a stern looking face and muscular shoulders Kibum noted a little surprised. He approached it slowly, curiosity taking over yet again, and bent forward a little to come face to face with the statue. A small shiver went down his spine. It felt like the stone eyes could see right into his soul. Kibum shook his body slightly to get rid of the feeling and his eyes fell onto the nameplate in gold bolted into the stone pedestal the bust was standing on. Engraved on it were a name and the year of creation.

 

Gabriel Marcus Lightwood

1873

 

Kibum raised his eyebrows and glance up at the stone-face again. So Lightwood was a foreigner. Somehow he had thought it had just been a pseudonym. Kibum traced his fingers over the letters mind wandering away, wondering who exactly this Lightwood was.

Suddenly a click rung through the silence in the library and Jin started a little. The bookshelf to Kibum's right disappeared into the wall and left a hole to enter. He stared at it wide-eyed, his heart caught in his throat from the shock. Swallowing, he slowly and quietly sneaked up to the opening and peered inside.

It looked like any normal office with a wooden desk in the middle of the room overcrowded with papers and a small oil lamp made of glass on the very edge threatening to fall over by the smallest disturbance of the clutter on the desk. Behind it was a window looking out onto the forest at the back of the house, Kibum assumed.

He dared take a step inside the hidden room and soon he was standing at the desk, letting his eyes sweep around the place. The walls were covered by bookshelves in here as well, but Kibum could see that the books were of a completely different sort than those outside in the library by just a glance. They were all encrypted with strange symbols and had a different air around them. He didn’t feel safe touching them. Jin had followed Kibum and was now sniffing at a corner, sneezing as the dust got into his nose.

Kibum rounded the table in the middle of the room to sit down in the armchair that was on the other side and examine the papers that now had caught his attention. Jin joined him, apparently satisfied with gathering dust in his lungs, and curled up in Kibum's lap. Kibum his fur absentmindedly as he let his eyes wander over the papers. There were nothing but the same strange symbols written on them as on the books and he assumed they were some sorts of spells.

“Oh, you found this place? Not that I didn’t already know.”

Kibum's head snapped up so fast he shocked his neck-muscle and he rubbed it with a grimace, glaring at the mirror he hadn’t seen on the wall opposite.

Sekyung bit her lip. “Sorry.”

“It’s alright.” Kibum muttered and tilted his head slightly. “You can move between mirrors?”

“No.” She shook her head. “There is only a connection between this mirror and the one on the third floor.”

“U-huh… How come you’re in the mirror to begin with?” he suddenly asked, momentarily forgetting about the mess of papers on the desk. It hit him that he hadn’t asked before.

Sekyung’s expression darkened. “Because of my ability to know the future. Lightwood was most likely threatened by it.”

Kibum filled his cheeks with air and looked down at the spells again.

“ to be you.” He said in an undertone.

“Yeah, it does.” She laughed and Kibum smiled faintly at the papers.

The room fell silent as Kibum tried to look for something he could understand and Sekyung watched his progress.

“Am I supposed to understand any of this?” He grumbled after a few minutes, looking up at Sekyung and rubbing his cheeks with his hands.

She pulled up one side of and shrugged. Kibum narrowed his eyes at her.

“You can’t tell me?”

“Sorry, but I- Oh…” Her face turned blank.

Kibum's eyebrows rose. “What?”

“I have something I can tell you now…” Her eyes focused on him again. “Open the top drawer to the right.”

Kibum obliged immediately and pulled the drawer out to find a black notebook. After glancing at Sekyung, who nodded at him encouragingly, he carefully lifted the book from its confinement and placed it in front of him on top of all the papers. He looked up at the woman in the mirror again.

“Can I open it?”

She nodded, but a small frown was visible on her forehead. Kibum dried his hands on his pants to wipe away the sweat of nervousness gathered there, making Jin complain a little when he accidentally jostled him, before opening the book slowly and cautiously.

Pages and pages filled with a language he could understand greeted his eyes as he swiftly turned a few pages.

“What is this…?” He asked absentmindedly as he let his eyes travel down the pages.

“A diary.” Sekyung answered. “Lightwood’s diary.”

Kibum looked up at her with big, round eyes. “You can’t be serious.”

She crossed her arms defensively but looked a little confused. “I am.”

He looked down at the book in front of him again and frowned at the entry he had stopped at.

 

 

                                                                                                                                                                                                             4th of September, 1870

 

Jonghyun does not know what is good for him. Why won’t he ever listen? I am his best friend, am I not? So then exactly how many times shall I be forced to repeat what I always tell him? That woman is not suitable for him. She is so filthy that she surely will soil his bloodline, which I’ve tried so hard to protect. And Sekyung is not any better. She keeps insisting that they should not marry because of their blood but because of love.

Love?

Ha! Don’t make me laugh. If only Jonghyun and Sekyung would marry we could strive for the greater purpose in this world and clean it of its filth. People who hinder the progress of our society, that filthy low-class who deserve nothing better than to die instantly at birth. There is only place for nobles in this world. Of course Jonghyun decided to fall for such a woman. How stupid of me! I should have foreseen that! They always do the opposite of what you want.

I will now have to move ahead of schedule and kill off Jonghyun's woman. It will certainly not be as enjoyable as killing some of the stronger but for the sake of Jonghyun's blood it must be done.

 

                                                                                                                                                                                                                                  G.M.L

 

 

Kibum looked up at Sekyung with a wide-open mouth and she met his eyes with a grim expression.

“Y-you and Jonghyun were getting married?”

She blew air out of her nose angrily. “Forcibly.

“A-and the purpose was that your children w-would… get rid of the… the…” Kibum swallowed, trying to progress what he had just read.

Sekyung growled. Kibum had never seen her that angry. “To eliminate the entire low-class and half of the middle-class of this society then the rest of the world to make it prosper to its fullest.”

Kibum blinked at her rapidly. “And you didn’t know this?”

She glared angrily at some point above his head. “I didn’t get my all-knowing powers until after a year in this place and of course Lightwood didn’t tell us of his plan until we were trapped here.”

“But he’s gone now…?”

Sekyung stared at him absentmindedly for a moment. “I wonder…” then she snapped out of it. “He cursed Jonghyun and entrapped me to forcibly join our blood. I have no doubt that he is still alive in some form lurking around in this castle and slowly retaking his control and powers over the both of us.”

“But… but…” Kibum spluttered. “How am I supposed to go up against that?”

Sekyung’s shoulders slumped.

“I don’t know. There are too many outcomes.” She grabbed her head with both hands, hunching down slightly, and Kibum could practically feel the despair coming out of her. “I don’t know!”

Kibum was about to go over to her and tell her it was okay when the book burned in his hands and the pages their own accord. Kibum stared down at the black thing in horror as the paper finally stopped on a more recent entry.

 

 

                                                                                                                                                                                                                  2nd of January, 2013

 

He is here! I now have a vessel to take over! The greater spirits must have blessed me and my purpose! They finally realise I am right and the world needs cleansing. My descendants did well. The boy is certainly powerful and it will be a delight coming back to life in his body…

 

 

Suddenly Sekyung screamed and Kibum flew out of his chair, throwing Jin halfway across the room and rushing over to her.

“Sekyung! Are you okay?”

She stared at him with wide, scared eyes that looked empty.

“Kibum,” she whimpered, “something is burning me…”

“I-I…” he stammered, mind completely blank from worry.

He put his hands to the glass but pulled away immediately, looking down at them in fright. Small blisters were appearing and his skin reddened where he had burnt himself. As he looked up at Sekyung again in helpless desperation he saw words form on the mirrors surface and propelled a few steps backwards until he hit the edge of the desk, making the oil lamp fall to the floor and crash into a million pieces.

 

You are me…. I am you… Same flesh, same blood…

 

Kibum unconsciously let out a scream and found his knees giving out beneath him. The words were not only written on the mirror they were also resounding around the room and in his head in a whisper but as loud as if someone had put a megaphone right beside his ears, making his head feel like it was about to explode. Jin let out the loudest growl Kibum had ever heard him make and hid underneath a bookshelf. He managed to faintly feel relief that his cat would be protected to some degree before his head started to hurt even more.

“Stop!” He shouted. “Please!”

Sekyung moaned in pain. The pressure from the night before was back on his chest but it wasn’t as heavy. Apparently the one doing it had learnt his way. But this time there was a strange, unsettling pull underneath Kibum's skin. Like something was forcibly pushed out of his body.

“Please stop it!” He screamed but it just pulled harder than before.

Kibum gritted his teeth and concentrated all his powers on keeping himself complete. Stars appeared in front of his eyes from the effort it took but he continued to exert all his power to keep his body intact. To his relief it paid off and he could slowly but surely feel the horrible sensation disappear. When it was entirely gone he slumped back against the desk, panting as if he had run several miles and sweat rolling down his forehead. Sekyung leaned against the back of the mirror and sunk to its floor, tears running down her face.

“He… He is…” Kibum panted, the horrifying realization becoming clearer and clearer. “I-I am…”

A sob escaped Sekyung's lips and she nodded. “You are his brother’s descendant.”

Kibum pulled his knees up to his chest and hugged them tightly, a lump forming in his throat. “No. NO!

“I-I am so sorry.” Sekyung sniffled and rubbed her cheeks.

Jin came forward from his hiding place to seek protection in Kibum's arms and he gladly accepted him, trying not to cry himself.

 

The piano started playing again.

 

 

 

 

 

 

A/N: Yeeeaaah... What is happening? O_O I actually didn't plan for it to turn out this way, but as I kept on writing it just... became like this?

I was home sick today so I thought "Why not finish this chapter?" :) Otherwise you'd probably have had to wait two days more xP

Uuuuummm... what else?

Thank you everyone who subscribed and commented! It makes me happy! ^_^ I haven't really had the time to read much on AFF but if I come across some of yours I'll definately do the same! :D

I hope you enjoyed! <3

Bye!