Human

Beautiful People

Although every cell in his body protested against his decision, Kibum flew back onto his feet as soon as the first keys of the piano could be heard. Even if it was sweeter than it had ever been it managed to enrage him to the point of wanting to throw everything he held or could get his hands on out of the window.

“Who the hell is playing that thing?!” He yelled, looking up at the ceiling and startling the woman in the mirror as well as Jin who was still in his arms.

Sekyung, who had had her head in her hands, looked at him between her fingers. Then she sighed in defeat.

“Jonghyun.”

Kibum rounded on her looking furious. “You decide to tell me that now?”

She glared at him. “It’s not exactly my choice, Kibum.”

“Fine!” He snorted. “I’m going to see him right now!”

Sekyung stood up at once, expression turning worried. “Not when he’s playing, you don’t!”

Kibum narrowed his eyes. “Watch me!”

Then he bolted out of the hole in the wall and up the stairs in the library to the third floor, ignoring Sekyung’s distant pleas for him to come back, dead set on giving Jonghyun a piece of his mind. He sprinted around the narrow balcony on the upper half of the library and arrived at the third floor’s corridor, clutching Jin tightly to his chest and stopping for a few seconds to listen for the melody that flowed through the house. Then, not paying the slight terror in his gut any mind, he approached the door he now knew led to the piano-room and swung it open so violently that it bounced off the wall with a loud bang. It would have hit him if he hadn’t moved inside as quickly as he had. The piano stopped playing abruptly, but it didn’t stop Kibum from seeing and he shivered with fear.

The room was entirely filled with black shadows and it was hard for him to move or even think from the coldness and hostility seeping out of them. He was sure that one of the shadows, if not all of them, was Lightwood. But as soon as the piano stopped playing they all vanished, leaving a gust of wind behind.

Jonghyun looked up at him in irritation and Kibum shrank back, hugging Jin closer. Nothing about him looked human at that moment and his eyes seemed to glow. It was both breathtaking and repelling at the same time. If possible, he looked even scarier than he had the first time Kibum had seen him but there was an enticing air about him. His entire body was once again wrapped up in watery shadows and even though Jonghyun was only observing him at the moment Kibum was sure that he would leap at him the second he moved as much as a millimeter. Kibum's natural instinct was once more yelling at him to flee and get away as far as he could.

Then Jonghyun's shadows disappeared, like they were back into his body, and he looked normal, except that his expression had become strangely scared again as it had that time in the library.

Regaining some of his sense now that most of the danger had seemed to pass, Kibum scoffed. “You know.”

Jonghyun continued to stare at him with round eyes.

“You. KNOW!” Kibum shouted at him. “That’s why you sniffed me, isn’t it?! My blood must ing SMELL. LIKE. HIM! AND STILL YOU ASK WHAT I’M DOING HERE!”

Jonghyun suddenly disappeared.

“DON’T YOU DARE GO SMOKEY- ON ME!” Kibum screamed and to his astonishment Jonghyun reappeared not far from him, in a corner of the room.

“I can’t get out of this room.” He whispered to himself, wide-eyed. He looked up at the ceiling and Kibum followed his example, breathing heavily and forgetting to be angry for a moment. There was a small shadow there, but it was retreating into the corner as well almost becoming invisible. Jonghyun looked back down at him and something flickered behind his eyes. “You’re stronger.”

Kibum closed his eyelids and pinched the bridge of his nose, letting out a long breath to calm himself down. His throat was starting to hurt and he knew he was just taking out his fear and his feeling of helplessness on Jonghyun.

It isn’t really Jonghyun's fault.

He opened his eyes again slowly and met Jonghyun's gaze. He was looking at him from his corner, curled up in defense and hostility visible in every little bit in his body.

“Jong-” Kibum started, to try and clear things up, sitting down on the floor as well with crossed legs. Jin wriggled himself loose from his hold and bolted out the door.

“I don’t know what you’re able to do to me.” He interrupted him and repeated: “Right now you’re stronger.”

Kibum's eyes widened a little.

Jonghyun really was afraid of him? And he was stronger? How did that happen?

“After all you’re his descendant.” Jonghyun snarled when he saw the confused expression on his face.

Kibum felt a little hurt at those words and scowled at the man in the corner. He hadn’t exactly chosen to be who he was.

“When have I ever done anything to hurt you?!” He hissed. He was outraged that Jonghyun thought of him in that way.

Jonghyun glared at him. “You came here.”

“It wasn’t even my choice!”

“And yet here you are.” He growled. “Why didn’t you just leave as soon as you woke up?”

Kibum didn’t have a response to that. Really, what could he say? Instead he stood up angrily and stomped all the way over to Jonghyun. The other was too surprised to move away, which enabled Kibum to grab his collar. He was about to say some very nasty things but all the words got stuck in his throat as he saw the expression on Jonghyun's face.

He looked so afraid that Kibum's heart faltered for a moment. He couldn’t understand why. He, less than anyone else, could actually hurt Jonghyun except for Lightwood. He didn’t have any powers nor did he have the slightest grudge against him and still Jonghyun looked like Kibum was the biggest threat. Maybe he was. Lightwood wanted to take his body after all. But Kibum wouldn’t let that happen or else he would die fighting.

He looked into Jonghyun's surprisingly warm, brown eyes and swallowed, opening his mouth to try to tell him that he would never let Lightwood come back through him but somehow the words didn’t want to come out. Instead, after hesitating for a fraction of a second, he pulled Jonghyun into a hug. He had to admit he was as surprised as Jonghyun by the action, but thanks to that surprise he managed to keep the other in his arms when he tried to break himself free.

“I’m sorry.” Kibum said, apologizing for everything his ancestor had ever done to the man in his arms. “But I will make all of this stop precisely because I am Lightwood’s descendant.”

Then he let Jonghyun go and quickly headed for the door without another word before he would embarrass himself even more, leaving the other sitting on the floor in surprise.

I’m in trouble.

He was hurrying down the steps with burning cheeks to find his cat and tell him what had happened as well as to get some advice when there was a strange kind of whisper from above. With a pounding heart he looked up to the ceiling and found those disturbingly menacing eyes that had caused him so much pain before, watching his every move closely. Strangely it didn’t hurt to look at them this time, but still he steeled himself for another fight like the one in the library’s secret room. To his surprise however, the shadow belonging to the eyes moved away.

Getting a sudden boost of courage, Kibum took a step forward and nearer the shadow. Again to his surprise it shrank back and he took another step, feeling slightly victorious and liberated.

“Yeah, that’s right!” He called after it as he took his third step, stupidly challenging what probably was the most dangerous thing he’d ever encountered. “I’m not afraid of you!”

He barely finished his sentence when he collided with something solid and his head snapped back down.

Jonghyun was standing in front of him, looking at Kibum as if he was insane, and Kibum's breath caught in his throat. Suddenly he felt strangely nervous.

Trouble.

Jonghyun cleared his throat and took a step backwards to put some space between them, shuffling his feet awkwardly and staring down at the floor. Kibum found his actions somewhat extremely cute.

T.R.O.U.B.L.E.

“Umm… I just wanted to…”

Jonghyun's voice died out and Kibum turned his head slightly to catch the words. He muttered something about how he would kill Sekyung and Kibum raised his eyebrows questioningly at Jonghyun as he looked up at his face.

“Thank you.” He muttered sullenly and Kibum could swear he was close to pouting when he turned his gaze back to the floor.

“O… kay?” He said uncertainly trying to calm his stuttering heart, not quite understanding what Jonghyun was getting at.

Jonghyun nodded and silence fell between them. Kibum studied him curiously, barely managing to ignore the tingling urge in his fingers to reach out and touch the man before him. He had expected the other to leave but Jonghyun continued to stand in front of him, glaring at the floor, apparently waiting for him to say something more. Then he looked up at him and Kibum's body froze in surprise at the sudden eye contact. He wasn’t prepared to feel his heart fly up in his throat and had to let out a little cough, biting his lip embarrassedly.

What the hell is wrong with me?

Jonghyun looked more human than he had ever seemed, especially in contrast to their recent meeting, and Kibum felt himself falling. Falling for the man in front of him. It didn’t make the least bit sense since he hardly knew him, but somehow in that instant Kibum knew what Jonghyun was feeling and he wanted so badly to make it go away.

Jonghyun was scared, infinitely so. More than Kibum had been the few life-threatening encounters he’d had in this mansion. Seeing beyond the façade of indifference and hostility, Kibum also found that Jonghyun was lonely and lost, like a small child. And all of a sudden Kibum saw how worn out he actually was by everything and how he just wanted it to end one way or the other.

For the second time Kibum stepped forward and pulled Jonghyun into a hug, tightening his arms around his waist and burying his face in his shoulder. Jonghyun stiffened and Kibum heard all the air disappear from his lungs in a huff of surprise.

“You are alright.” Kibum mumbled into his clothes. “You are perfectly fine.”

Jonghyun swallowed. “I… I don’t…”

Kibum pulled him even closer when his voice broke on the last word.

“Trust us. Trust your friends. They still like you, you know.” He whispered. “And trust me, because I like you as well.”

Jonghyun's body relaxed and a tremble went through it. Then Kibum felt a tear fall on his shoulder.

“What are you?” Jonghyun whispered back and Kibum smiled.

“Human.”

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

A/N: How about that? Haha. Another update that didn't take a week! ^_^

I don't know, I just got some flow and ended up with another chapter. Although I could have uploaded it yesterday, I wanted to read through it again so yeah...

Does anyone think Kibum is totally irrtional to fall for Jonghyun like this? Because I do!  Haha, oh well >_<

Anyway, thanks to all the readers and commenters! <3 Y'all make my day! :D

I hope you enjoyed and see you next chapter!

Bye! ^_^