Chapter Ⅰ

A Gangster's Love (HIATUS)
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

C H A P T E R    O N E

*      *      *

Ha-Neul found herself walking back from school while clutching onto her test papers nervously.

*What are Appa and Omma going to do to me when they see this!?* A seven year old Ha-Neul thought to herself worriedly as she walked down the familiar streets of Seoul to the direction of her house.

Ha-Neul had gotten an eight out of ten for her English test she had that day. Her parents had always wanted full marks from both of their children; if Ha-Neul had failed to do so, she would get severely punished whereas if Jiyong, Ha-Neul’s elder brother, failed to do so, they would not punish him. Even though her parents were always only praising her elder brother, she never hated her brother for getting all the attention of anything, but she just wanted a little bit of attention from her parents…she wanted to be loved by her parents. But her parents gave her attention alright… just the wrong kind of attention.

Ha-Neul pushed the door of her house open after taking off her grey, worn out school shoes. She walked down the hallway of her house to look for her parents. She found them chatting happily with her elder brother in the kitchen while her mother was cooking. She slowly stepped into the kitchen and greeted her parents cautiously, making sure not to anger them in any way.

‘Appa, Omma, I’m home.’ Ha-Neul said quietly while bowing to them, respectfully.

As Ha-Neul looked up, she saw that the smiles that were once on her parents’ face were quickly replaced by a sneer. They looked disgusted at the sight of her. The both of them didn’t want acknowledge her presence, so they didn’t answer her greeting. Her brother, not liking the sight of how they were treating her, went over and greeted his little sister whom he loves very much, with much enthusiasm.

‘Annyeong Ha-Neul!’ Jiyong gave her a warm smile before pulling her into a hug.

‘A-Annyeong oppa…’ Ha-Neul said nervously as she took a quick glance at her parents.

‘How was school toda-?’

‘Ha-Neul show me your English marks.’ Their mother said sternly, cutting Jiyong off abruptly.

A wave of panic swept over Ha-Neul as she had hoped that her mother had forgotten about her test marks. She slowly approached her mother reluctantly, who was now boiling spaghetti, and held out her test marks for her mother to see.

‘O-Omma, I got an eight out of t-ten for my English test today’ Ha-Neul stuttered.

Her mother stopped her cooking before giving Ha-Neul a condescending look.

‘You got how much?’ her mother questioned her.

‘E-Eight out of ten omma.’ Ha-Neul answered nervously.

Her mother glanced at her husband. Seeing his nod, she then ordered Ha-Neul to kneel down onto the ground.

‘Kneel.’ Her mother ordered.

Ha-Neul did as she was told.

‘Stretch out your arms.’

Ha-Neul did so; she extended her small petite arms up in front of her.

Her mother grabbed the plate of spaghetti and threw it at Ha-Neul’s direction. The plate hit Ha-Neul’s arm and the broken piece of glass left a deep cut on it. Ha-Neul dared not scream despite the excruciating pain she was feeling as she knew that if she did, there would be a punishment much worse than this, waiting for her.

‘Ha-Neul ah!’ Jiyong rushed over to her sister’s side, only to be stopped

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter