A Talk

In the Palm of Your Hands

*Taemin's P.O.V*

I woke up feeling warm and comfortable, so I automatically knew where I was. Opening my heavy eyes, I unsteadily sat up, balancing the weight precariously on my arms. Looking over, to where the door was, I noticed Key-umma laying in a chair his elbows resting on the bed, he was asleep, if his gentle snores were anything to go by. I smiled gently reaching over to run feather light fingers over his rainbow hair. 

The door opened and I looked up to see Jong-appa walk in. He smiled at me and walked over, concern marring his face, as he pulled me into a tight hug. He was careful not to squeeze to hard, I noticed, most likely because they didn't know how bad my injuries were. 

"Hey Tae-baby, how are you feeling?" He asked softly, his puppy eyes serious.

Knowing he wouldn't like it if I lied, I smiled brokenly at him, "I have been better appa."

He sighed, running a gentle hand through my hair before he stood up, "Are you hungry?"

I shook my head, and he looked at me skeptically before leaning over to gently shake umma awake.

Umma shot up, his startled expression and panic was evident before he noticed I was up and launched himself at me. His incoherent mutterings and sobs broke my heart, I didn't like to make my family sad. They were the ones who took me in and cared for me when no one else would, so for them I had vowed to get stronger, to protect myself and them so they wouldn't have to worry about me. 

"Taemin?" Key-umma had pulled back and imploringly looked me in the eyes, "Since Jong and I are legal age, as are Onew and Minho, we are adopting you, no if's, and's, or but's about it." He said gently as I opened my mouth to protest. "You are never going near that horrible man again, I don't care what we have to do."

I looked down at my trembling hands, I didn't register the door opening to admit the last of our mismatched family into the room, and I whispered quietly, almost hoping they wouldn't hear me, "Please don't let me."