Chapter 8

Silver Lining

Sorry for the delayed update.
I am supposed to post this last week, but this chapter turned out rather difficult for me to write :p
I don't know what you might think about this chapter, but I get a hunch that I'll bore you with this update and the following >.< Idk.

 

----------------------------------------------------

 

"S'young-ah!" Yuri rushed to the side of the taller woman who sat on one of the hard sofa in surgical waiting room.

 

The skinny lady was still wearing a shocked expression on her face as she stared blankly into the wall. Beside her were Sunny's family. She could see her best friend's mother was sobbing. She was chanting "Why? Why?" between her sobs. The daughters sat on both sides of their mother. The eldest one leaned her mother's head on her chest and gently her shoulder. While the younger one held her mother's hand in hers.

 

Meanwhile, her friend's old man was sitting not far from the rest. He was staring outside the window without much movement nor sound. The brother in laws were also there. They seemed to speed up here from their works. Taehyun oppa was sitting beside his father in law, while Hojoon oppa was more restless as he was pacing back and forth the waiting room.

 

She took a very deep breath as she watched the scene. It was devastating. All the looks in their faces were heartbreaking. Agony. Rage. Dazed. Betrayed. Sad. Hurt. Suicide, in the end, was not only about the doer. It was also about those around the doer and how it affected them. One pain might be subsided, or in fact, gone entirely as one’s breath stopped. However, another pain, another agony would start. The agony of those who were left behind. The guilt, the embarassement because they couldn’t protect what was important for them, who was important to them.

 

Yuri couldn't help but thought of why her friend was doing this to the people who loved her, despite whatever hardships she might experienced at the moment. It was for Yuri, the most selfish act her best friend was ever commited. It wasn't like she and her friends didn't try to get the problem out of Sunny’s mouth though. She just wouldn’t tell them, and this was what it led. Yuri could feel the anger rose inside. She shook off the thought, mentally talking to herself, “Easy there, Yul. Don’t think negatively. She might have a bigger reason behind all her acts. A legit one. Easy.”

 

She casted a look on the ladies group two sofas away from Sooyoung’s. "A while," she murmured to Sooyoung who just stared at her without any expression. Yuri then walked over to Sunny's mother and squatted in front of her and put her hands on old lady's knees.

 

"Ommoni . . ." She called her gently. "Be strong. The doctor will surely be able save her."

 

" Yuri. . .," the old lady reached out to hug her daughter's best friend and Yuri hugged her back.

 

With her mother's best friend hugging her while pouring out her feeling into tears, it was hard for her not to cry along.  She sniffled a sob, biting her lower lip hard to prevent her tears to flow freely. She wanted to be the support for Sunny’s family, not to add to the burden. They stayed in that position for some moment before letting go each other.

 

"Can you check on Sooyoung. She won't talk after telling us how she found my daughter," said the old lady, concerned. She wiped the tears on her cheeks.

 

"Yes, Ommoni."

 

Yuri went over to Sooyoung. This time, she sat beside her. She circled her arm around her shoulder while the other hand was on Sooyoung's clenched hands.

 

"S'young-ah . . . She'll be fine. You know how resilient she can be."

 

Sooyoung didn't respond. She sat there immobile. Yuri observed the state her friend was in. Her hands and clothes were covered with darkened red substance in different shades which was now dry. Sunny's blood. She even had some on her cheek. Perhaps she wiped her face with her hand unknowingly.

 

Yuri flung her duffel to the front. She zipped open the bag and took out a clean white t-shirt and black training pants. Gears that she brought since she originally planned to hit the gym after work. She opened the front pouch to get a plastic bag, and then she stood up and pulled Sooyoung by her wrist. "Come on. At least, change your clothes first."

 

Sooyoung let Yuri drag her to the toilet at the end of the corridor without complain. She went into one of the toilet stall to change her clothes while Yuri was busy texting on her smartphone. She wrote on their chat group, updating the two overseas members with what had happened. They ought to know she thought.

 

Not so long after, the tall friend came out from inside the stall with plastic bag in her hand. "Thanks, Yul."

 

"No. I should thank you instead."

 

The latter titled her head to the side in question.

 

"For coming at the right time and save her," Yuri's gaze were on the floor when she shook her head. When she raised her head, their eyes met. It felt like Yuri had something else to say, but she shook it off. Instead, she grabbed her friend's wrist once again, "Let's go. Let's get you a cup of hot tea. Your face's still pale."

 

The walking back to the surgical waiting room was another quiet trip. Neither of the two friends talked. Both were drowned in their own thoughts. When they were about to arrive to the waiting room, commotion was heard from the inside. The desperate voice of Sunny's mother was heard.

 

"Why did you leave her? She's like this because of you. Why, Sungmin?"

 

Looking at each other, Yuri and Sooyoung rushed inside to see Sunny's mother clutching Sungmin's sleeves in both of her hands. They were confused. Every person standing there was confused of what to do in that situation. Sunny's eldest sister, though, were straining her husband to go any closer to Sungmin. He seemed ready to lunge forward and punch Sungmin square in his face. Strong dislike was written all over his face.

 

Sungmin, whose expression was unreadable, could only mutter, "I'm sorry, Imo. I'm sorry," repeatedly, until sobs turned to faint sniffles. Until grips on arms flexed and changed to a heartbreaking embrace, as if holding on for dear life.

 

Sunny’s father finally stood up and walked to his wife’s side. He gently held her hands until she let go of Sungmin’s sides. He, then, led her to the sofa where he sat before, and took a seat beside her. The old man put his wife’s hand on his thigh and never let it go there after.

 

Feeling awkward about the entire situation happened, Yuri and Sooyoung gingerly walked to a set of sofas just across Sunny’s parent’s. One by one, the attendees of that surgical waiting room took seats, as the hour went by. Sungmin, on the other hand, stood still by the waiting room door. His arms were folded, back was leaned on the wall, and one of his foot kept strumming on to the hospital floor unconsciously. As well as the others, he waited anxiously for the red light above the door of the surgical room to turn green.

 

It took them a good two and half an hour later for the doctor and nurses to come out of the dreaded room. One nurse stepped in to the room where the family and friends waited, and said, “Family of Lee Soonkyu? Please come with us to the medical meeting room.”

 

The eerie silent broke. Clothes rustled, bags grabbed, bodies scrambled to its feet. Trying to match with the nurse's steps, Mrs. Lee asked anxiously, “How’s she? How’s the surgery?”

 

While they all kept walking, the nurse turned her head to Sunny’s mother and smiled, “The surgery went well. As for her condition and surgical report, Doctor Park will explain it to you. Please.”

 

The nurse then pushed open the door to the meeting room and held it until the last person came in. Sungmin it was. Like other parts of the hospital, white was dominant in that room. The room itself was designed in minimalist spirit.

 

“Please take your seats,” said Doctor Park. The doctor had taken a seat on the head of the medium size conference table. His assistant doctor was preparing the data he had collected and summarized prior, while and after the surgery. Meanwhile, the nurses helped the doctor with the preparation of the administrative electronic devices; like laptop, projector, etc.

 

“Is everything ready?” The doctor asked his team without even looking at them.

 

The attendees were fidgeting on their seats, feeling nervous. Noticing their nervousness, the doctor smiled. He assured them, “No worries. The surgery went well. I only need to explain several things.” The doctor then clicked an image of wrist anatomy and left it stand by.

 

"I will explain about the procedure we had done on her and the recovery treatment." The doctor started the meeting. "First of all, I gladly re-announce that the surgery went well.  However, we discovered that the cut she made was rather severe. She had completely transected the Palmaris longus tendon, Flexor carpi radialis muscle, Flexor pollicis longus and median nerve." He pointed at the so called part of wrist anatomy projected on wide screen with his infrared pen.

 

"In short, she cut her ability to flex some fingers and grip in general. She also cut her radial artery, which was lucky in a way, since the cut on radial artery is rarely fatal. We had repaired all the cut tendons, nerve and artery. However, there might be a possibility of her left wrist not be functioning as good as before, even after the recovery treatment. For that case, we need a thorough observation later. For the time being, her left wrist is bandaged in certain position to support the injured tendons. The wrist need to stay immobile.

 

"What concerns us the most right now is the blood loss. She had lost about 40% of the total blood in her system and is in critical condition right now. Her blood pressure is very low and her heart rate is unstable. We are actively giving her blood transfusion and Saline solution to help with the fluid resuscitation. That is why she will be under our intensive monitoring for 3 times 24 hours in ICU."

 

“She’ll be fine, right?” asked Sunny’s father in a rather shaky voice.

 

“I cannot say. We have to wait until she passes her critical condition. As for the recovery process regarding her flexor tendons, it has to wait until she can actively give responses for us to be able to decide which treatment is appropriate.” The doctor waited for another questions.

 

When the others seemed not going to raise any more, he continued, “I apologize before hand should what I want to discuss next is rather offensive since I know that is a sensitive issue. As the 911 team informed, the injury on her wrist is self-initiated. In other words, she tried to commit suicide. As for the patient with such issue, we always encourage the family to let the patient gets a proper psychological assessment and treatment to prevent such action to reoccur. Therefore, along with the physical rehabilitation we program, it will be better if the family agrees to the scheduled psychological treatment. We will introduce you to our appointed psychiatrist, or if the family has their own family psychiatrist, that will do too.”

 

“I. . . We will think it over,” Sunny’s father said.

 

“Okay. We already explained the medical action we had and will be done. We can dismiss this meeting. For things regarded to the administrative issues, you can always contact Nurse Lee. And should you need further assistance regarding Ms. Sunny’s condition and I am not around, you can always contact my physician assistant, Mr. Choi.” Dr. Park pointed the people on his left and right accordingly. “Perhaps there are administrative papers that you need to sign. Nurse Lee? You could handle from here. I’ll excuse myself. Good afternoon.”

 

The doctor pushed his chair backwards and got to his feet. He made his way to the door. However, he turned after three steps, adding, “Oh, I forget to tell you. Which one of you is her husband?” He glanced at the three younger men on the conference table.

 

The people sitting there were exchanging a confused look to each other. The doctor, not intend to pry, continued to relay the information, “I mean, the baby is fine.”

 

“What?!” Hojoon banged the desk unconsciously. “You mean she’s pregnant?”

 

The faces in the meeting room were shocked at the revelation. This was like a new-found piece of puzzle they tried to decipher from Sunny’s behavior lately. Was this one of the cause, they wondered.

 

Seeing their shocked face, the doctor continued, “Seems hat you don’t know yet about her pregnancy. Or doesn't she know about it either? Well, she’s in her early 8 weeks now. We will schedule her ultrasound after three days. We will pay a careful watch on her. Now if you’ll excuse me.” The doctor exited the room at last.

 

Hojoon, face red due to anger, rushed to Sungmin, grabbed his collar and raised him to his feet. “You know what, I've been patient all this time because Sunny told me that she wanted this to be between you and her only. But I can’t take it anymore. You know how I regard her as my own little sister. And what have you done to her? You left her, when she is pregnant with your child. And you still call yourself a man?! Now tell me, you cheat on her, don’t you?”

 

“N-no, Hyung, it’s not like what you think,” Sungmin stuttered. “I didn't cheat on her.”

 

“Then why?! Why did you leave her?! Why did she try to kill herself?” yelled Hojoon. He shook Sungmin by the collar.

 

“H-hyung, I didn't leave her. Not in a moment I ever think to leave her, although I know that I don’t deserve her. I can’t reach her all this time, Hyung. She didn't pick up my calls. She avoided me. Like you, I just know that she’s having my baby.”

 

“Oh, how easy for you to make excuses! You hurt my sister, you !”

 

Hojoon raised his fist. The women in that room gasped. Taehyun just stood still with his arms crossed, giving a silent approval to what Hojoon was doing. However, before the Hojoon’s fist could reach Sungmin’s face, Mr. Lee, who was still sitting on his chair hollered, “Enough!”

 

One word made the entire room froze by its tone. Hojoon lowered down his fist, although reluctantly. He sent a deathly glare to Sungmin though. With one final rough shake, he let go of Sungmin who stumbled backwards because of the impact.

 

“Taehyun, take the girls home. Hojoon, help me with the administration,” ordered Mr. Lee.

 

“I want to be here. I don’t want to go home,” Mrs. Lee protested.

 

“Honey, you’re tired. We’re all tired. I don’t want any of you to fall sick.”

 

“But . . .”

 

“No buts. Besides, that boy is here.”

 

Hojoon turned his head to his father-in-law. “You mean, you still entrust Sunny to him after what had happened?” He asked in disbelief.

 

“My decision, Hojoon-ah. Now, finish that papers soon. I want to go home too.”

 

There was a tone of finality in his voice that made the family member reluctant to argue the head of their family. In the end, they did what he instructed them to do. Taehyun ushered the ladies of the house out of the meeting room to take them home. Hojoon was now concentrating with the papers in front of him. Sooyoung and Yuri, who felt rather misplaced during all the commotion, moved to Sungmin. They nudged him and motioned him to leave the room with them. The three excused themselves to Sunny’s father and headed to the ICU ward. Sungmin, prior to leaving the room, bowing gratefully in ninety degrees manner to Sunny’s father, which was rewarded with a slight nod.

 

***

 

Three days later, Yuri came to the hospital to visit Sunny. The last update she heard from Sunny’s sister, which was yesterday morning, was nothing. Not a good news, not a bad news. She had not awakened yet. But just last night, Yuri got a text from Eunkyu unnie, saying that Sunny had finally awakened. Her physical condition was getting better. However, her psychological seemed somewhat worsened.

 

Eunkyu unnie said that Sunny had not talked ever since. She kept quiet, and it frightened them because not even their parents were able to make her talk. Her sister wished that Yuri and/or Sooyoung could make her talk though. Since Sooyoung could not leave the restaurant for it was its peak hour, Yuri came alone straight from her work.

 

Yuri  pushed open the door to Sunny’s room–after the doctor declared her stable, she was moved to a VIP care unit. Right when she stepped in, she heard the voices.

 

“Why are you crying? Do you feel pain any where? Is your wrist hurt? Should I call the doctor?” she heard Sunny’s mom asked worriedly.

 

“Don’t cry, please,” Sungmin’s choked on his throat.

 

Curious, Yuri walked passed the short entranceway where the bathroom was located on the left and peeked gingerly into the inside part of the white room with a hospital bed and some medical devices as the background. In the bed, she saw Sunny sitting up with her back on the raised head part of the bed, her face contorted with anguish while her tears were seeping out in silent cry.

 

“She was crying like this since you came in, Sungmin. I’m sorry but could you please leave for a moment?” said Eunkyu, Sunny’s sister, apologetically. She then noticed Yuri on the entranceway, “Oh, you’re here, Yul. Sorry, but can you keep Sungmin company for a while? I don’t know what’s going on with Sunny but she keeps crying like this since Sungmin came.”

 

“Oh, why not. Come, Oppa. Have you had your dinner?” Yuri poked Sungmin’s upper arm. She saw him casting one last glance to Sunny. A glance full of remorse, before he finally followed Yuri outside.

 

“I don’t want to eat, Yul. I’ll just stay here,” he said while sitting on the cushioned bench just outside Sunny’s room in dejected demeanor.

 

Yuri hesitated for a moment before finally joining him on the bench. “Don’t worry too much, Oppa. She’s been through a hard time. I know we know that it’s unusual for her to react that way. In fact, it’s very unusual for her to react like she did on these two months, and it also scares me, but I guess it is acceptable? Not the suicide though. I can’t never understand that act of hers.”

 

Sungmin kept fiddling with his phone, turning it with his fingers before breaking the silence, his voice trembled, “I made a grave mistake, Yul. Unforgivable one. I turned her into this state.”

 

Yuri raised one eyebrow, “What mistake?” However, her question was only greeted with silence.

 

Yuri sighed, “If you still love her, why did you let her let you go?”

 

“. . . Because I don’t know how not to. I don’t deserve her, that I know. But I want to repent for my mistake, especially now that she’s having my baby,” said Sungmin with a tone of finality, so Yuri didn't press further.

 

To be honest, she didn't know what to talk anymore, so she change the topic. “How’s your business, Oppa?”

 

“I don’t know. I’m still trying to make some companies pay off their long overdue account payable and find some loans or something to start over. I don’t know,” he rest his head on the wall.

 

“I hope every thing gets better for you, Oppa. Your business and Sunny.”

 

“I hope so,” Sungmin slapped his hands on his thighs before getting on his feet heavily and tiredly. “I think I’ll just go for now. I’ll come back later if she sleeps.”

 

“Be careful on your way, Oppa. Your number’s still the same, right?”

 

“Thank you, and yes.”

 

“Where do you live now?”

 

“My mom’s place. She didn't use it though.” Sungmin answered reluctantly. The fact that he had lost every thing still grazed his ego it seemed. “See you around, Yul.”

 

“See you, Oppa.” Yuri watched his back until it disappeared after a turn on the corridor. His back gave a sense of gloom which was indescribable to Yuri. From inside Sunny’s room, she could still hear a soothing encouragement chants coming from her best friend’s mother. Whatever his mistake was, Yuri could feel that it would never be normal as before between these ex-lovers.