Chapter 1

Silver Lining

 

It was a little over eight in the evening when Sunny unlocked the door of their apartment in downtown Seoul. She opened her high heels and left it on the foyer before walking into the minimalist living room. It was dark, indicating nobody was at home yet. She reached the switch without much difficulties and turned the light on. She knew the apartment too well, even without seeing which was where.

 

"Oppa must still be in his office. But why doesn't he text me if he comes home late?" She thought to herself.

 

Sunny poured herself a glass of cold water and was about to drink it when she was hugged from behind. She jumped a little because the unannounced action scarred her.

 

She spun around to greet Sungmin grinning mischievously. "Oppa! You scarred the hell outta me!"

 

"Aw... Poor bunny," he cooed, then plant a quick kiss on her nose. "Why are you so late?"

 

"Why do you come home earlier than usual?" She asked him back. She put the glass aside on the kitchen top.

 

"Why do you answer a question with a question?"

 

Sunny just shrugged her shoulders, slightly smiling. She then circled her arms around Sungmin neck.

 

"Give me a proper greeting before I answered your question," she said while drawing his face closer. She slightly brushed her lips across his lips, showering them with small pecks. Growing impatient with small naughty kisses, Sungmin pressed his lips unto hers, assaulting it until they both were left breathless.

 

"Wow! That is not the definition of proper in my dictionary," Sunny said, letting her arms rest on Sungmin's broad chest.

 

"I think I've been missing you a lot lately." He gave her a last kiss on her lips before letting her go. "Have you had dinner?"

 

"Yup. With Sooyoung. We were discussing the option to expand the bakery to franchise. Have you had yours?" She asked while rummaging the fridge to take something rather light but sweet. She decided on mint ice cream and walked to the sofa where she found Sungmin sitting and watching the news program.

 

Sunny was not the direct owner of the bakery. Sooyoung was, but she invest a huge amount on that bakery which made her the number one and only one share holder. Sooyoung who was mostly running it, and Sunny acted as her business counselor since her instinct in business was sharp. Something inherited from her father. As for her daily routine, she worked for her father's company as a marketing specialist.

 

"I had. Ordered black bean noodle," he answered without parting his eyes from TV.

 

Sunny leaned her body to him and he welcomed him in an embrace. "How is your day, oppa?" She asked, stuffing a spoonful of ice cream into .

 

"So so. I need to secure the deal with Milae by next week," he answered. "You are going to finish that ice cream?" He eyed the ice cream pail.

 

"Nope," she responded. "So the CEO finally agreed to the term and condition you propose?"

 

"Not without long and complicated discussion. You know it," he yawned, a hand covered his open mouth. "It's late Soonkyu-ya. Enough with ice cream. Go shower and let's sleep."

 

He kissed her cheek then nudged Sunny to get up from the couch. An order which Sunny obediently followed.

 

---

 

"You look prettier every time I see you. Is it because of him?" teased Tiffany as Sunny approached the table where her friends sat.

 

"I don't know what you're talking about," Sunny answered. She took the empty seat beside Sooyoung.

 

The five friends, Sunny, Tiffany, Taeyeon, Sooyoung and Yuri were having monthly meet up in lounge area of the bakery. On the daily basis, two or three of them would usually meet for lunch or occasional dinner. But it was kind of difficult for the five of them to gather at the same time like when they were in high school given to their busy lives. So, they had to be satisfied by monthly gathering.

 

"Say, how's living together for you?" Asked Yuri.

 

"Why do you jumped into that discussion while I am barely sitting?" Sunny knew where would such question lead, so she tried to evade the question with question, as usual.

 

Yuri grinned mischievously before adding, "Is he better in bed than before your moving in that you decided to play obedient wife to him?"

 

"Yah, Kwon Yuri!"

 

The others were giggling, some were laughing, clearly amused by the teasing. The truth was, it was only two months since she moved in to Sungmin's apartment. As her friends kept saying lately, she was domesticated right after. Never did she set up her own curfew before, yet now, she was restless when the clock reached eight in the evening and she was still outside.  It was true, she thought, that commitment changed every thing. Heck, she had not even said "I do".

 

"How's your dad now? Still nagging you to come home?" asked Taeyeon.

 

Sunny just laughed a little. "He did as a matter of fact. But, since he and my mom is staying at US for a couple of months, his plea is gladly turned down."

 

"It isn't like you live with them these years."

 

Practically, Sunny moved out from her parents house to live her own ever since she started working. However, her moving in with Sungmin caused them a level of insecurity. As she often listen to their saying, they are afraid to have to let go of their youngest soon.

 

"I know. I've been telling them that they won't hear any wedding bells ringing any time soon, but they won't rest."

 

"I feel you," Fany reached her hand across the table to hold Sunny's. Like Sunny, Tiffany had to deal with similar situation before. Her moving in to Taeyeon's apartment two years after they started their relationship was never without tantrum fit from her daddy. But thank God, her family gave her freedom to choose what she thought good for her, that they concerned not about the uncommon relationship, but to the I-may-lose-my-maknae-sooner-than-I-planned-to problem.  Well, maknaes and their you're-forever-our-babies issue.

 

"By the way, Taeng and I have a news. And it has something to do with asking permission," Tiffany said. The rest raised their eyebrows.

 

"We are going to get master degrees in States," Taeyeon briefly stated.

 

"Seriously? Like when?" Sooyoung asked, surprised.

 

"This September," answered Fany.

 

"What?! Only three months from now?!"

 

"Why didn't you tell us anything before?!"

 

"We were not even sure about the plan. My company offered me the education grant. With conditions, of course. I wanted to refuse it before, but Fany insisted that I take the chance," explained Taeyeon.

 

"Harper offered me a position in their US headquarter. Apparently, they got my info from career service," added Tiffany. Being the best student graduated from Parsons in her year placed her name on top of employer's list. That was not the first time she received such offer, but that was her first time taking it.

 

"So, you two will stay in New York?" asked Sunny.

 

"She will," Taeyeon pointed at Tiffany.

 

"Her company suggested Boston," said Tiffany.

 

"You two will have to separate from each other?"

 

"Remind me not to see one of them off at airport. Can't handle the drama," said Sooyoung as she put one hand on her forehead dramatically, thus received a fries throw from Taeyeon which fall on the table in front of her. "Yah! Don't waste food!" She picked the thrown fries and stuffing it into casually.

 

"Choi Sooyoung! Can't you stop being a glutton?!" barked Sunny, slapping Sooyoung arm. The later just grinned innocently.

 

They continued chatting, sometimes bickering until it was finally time for them to separate.

 

---