Epilogue

Silver Lining

Sorry for the proofreading underlines. Fix it though :)

Enjoy the very last part of Silver Lining.

Don't forget to leave your thoughts below.

Thanks a lot for our time together. I had fun writing this, and I had fun getting your responses :)

Thank you so much for loving this story

 

---------------

 

6 years later

 

"Sweetheart, come on. Are you ready yet?" Sunny called from the kitchen as she tilted the milk carton so the white creamy liquid would flow into the bowl of corn flakes.

 

Liana Lee, her now six years old daughter came out from her room with a backpack on her shoulders. She marched into the kitchen proudly, both hands on each backpack shoulder straps in the front. Seeing her daughter in her sailor uniform of white with royal blue list on the sleeves and royal blue wide collar with white list which was tied into a knot on her chest brought a bright wide smile from her.

 

"Naww. . . Look at my pretty baby. She's a big girl already," she complimented when the little girl tiptoed to give her the morning kiss on the cheek. Sunny bent her body, so her baby could reach her to carry out her morning routine.

 

"Good morning, Mummy," greeted Liana with a smile that didn't reach her eyes.

 

"Good morning. Naw, what's wrong sweetheart?" She asked as she saw her daughters gloomy face.

 

She climbed one of the high stools around the kitchen island, where they usually had their breakfast. She played with her spoon, making circles in her cereal bowl. "Daddy's not sending me off to school."

 

"What? Hey, you heard what daddy said last night, right? He'll come, although he will be a bit late. But he will be at your school gate, sweetheart," Sunny tried to lighten up her daughter's mood, but to no avail. Sunny went to her daughter to put an arm over her shoulder, "Hey, had daddy ever lied to you? When he said he would pick you up, he did, right? Although his schedule was tight. Or when he promised to bring you something from his business trip, he did, right? So, if he said he will come, then he will, honey."

 

"But he will be late. It's my first day of school," Liana whined. Her lips pursed, her cheek puffed. Her daughter looked so much like her when she was a lot younger.

 

"He'll be there. Trust him," Sunny coaxed. "Besides, your appa and umma will be there too to see you go through the school gate. See, you will have mummy and daddy and appa and umma there. The four of us."

 

"But what if daddy doesn't show up?" her daughter raised her head to meet her eyes.

 

Sunny smiled. She pat the pursed lips with her forefinger lightly. "He will. And if he doesn't, we will punish him. We will tickle him until he can't get up, then we'll ask him to take us to our favorite ice cream parlor when he picks you up after school. How's that?"

 

A smile started to creep in her daughter's face, her bright eyes twinkled.

 

"Now quickly eat your cereal, okay, then I'll drive you to school. I can't believe it, my baby is now an elementary student," she cooed lovingly, caressing her daughter's head. She gave her a quick side hug and a kiss on her crown, then went to prepare her daughter's lunch box.

 

Half an hour later, they were at Liana's school. Sunny pulled off the car across the street, and she helped her 6 years old to unbuckle her seat belt, then got off her convertible. Sunny waited for her daughter to stand beside her on the road side of the car, held her hand, and went across the street after she pressed the automatic door lock on her remote.

 

"Will they tease me because I can't speak Korean well like in kindergarten, Mummy?" She asked nervously after they crossed the street.

 

"I hope not, Dear. But you know they did that because they just didn't understand what you said in English right? Not because they hated you nor because they thought you liked to show off. So in the end, some of those teasers became your friend isn't it?" She turned to her daughter, asking for her confirmation. The little girl nodded her head. "So I think it will be just like that should the tease happens again here. Besides, I don't think it will be that bad. Your Korean is getting better and better. They can't tease you, sweetheart."

 

Two years before when Liana was four years old, Sunny came back to Seoul because the Seoul headquarter needed her more. His father was being away too often to Kuwait where the original representative office grew into another headquarter, leaving his position empty. And since the New York headquarter had been steadied, Sunny was called back home to fill that position, so that everything would function as it was.

 

It was hard for Liana at first, because she was so used to talk in English ever since she remembered how to speak. And although Sunny often spoke Korean to her, and so does her husband and Taeyeon - whenever she came around with Fany - that didn't change the fact that Liana was being most comfortable speaking in her mother language which was English.

 

"Now, now. Your Appa said they will be here any minute. Where is he?" She was wondering as she looked around.

 

Liana yelped when she saw a black SUV was pulling off not far from her mother's car. "That's Appa and Umma," she hopped up and down while pointing at the black car.

 

She greeted loudly so that her voice reached across the street. "APPA!! UMMA!!" She waved frantically.

 

"Hey there, Sunshine!" Sungmin rushed to her and picked her up high above his head, spinning her once. He lowered her a little, hugging her in his arms and gave her a peck on her cheek with a loud smack before he let her down on the ground again. That got the little girl to giggle cheerily.

 

"Sunny." He addressed his ex-girl friend casually, while his wife, Sujin went to kiss Sunny on her cheek as a greeting, before turning to the little girl who was beaming excitedly.

 

"Hello, Dear." A smile spread on her pretty face. "We have a first day of elementary school present for you."

 

She handed a pink paper bag with a cartoon bear at the front to Liana. The little girl accepted the present happily, peeking curiously at the wrapped package inside.

 

"You don't have to, Sujin," said Sunny in friendly. They had been friends since Sungmin introduced them four years ago.

 

"No. I want to. We want to. Right, Oppa?" she asked her husband, rhetorically, which was responded with a nod and a smile from him.

 

"Mummy. . ." Liana whined, tugging her mother's baby blue shirt's sleeve.

 

Sunny looked at her watch and addressed her daughter. "He should be here soon, sweetheart."

 

"Where's Hoyoung hyung?" Sungmin asked.

 

"He was away for business trip actually. But since today is her first day of school and he doesn't want to miss it, plus, this girl has been nagging him the entire week, he took an early flight from Busan this morning," she explained. "I don't know. He said that he should be here before the bell rings."

 

Just then the bell rang.

 

"Mummy. . ." her daughter whined again. This time, her eyes were glistening with tears.

 

Sunny squatted down, "Hey, sweetheart, don't cry." She hugged her tiny body. "Remember what I said this morning? We will punish him for breaking the promise, alright. Daddy will take us to the ice cream parlor after the school's over, 'kay. Cookies and cream for you, how's that?" She tried to bargained with her, if not bribing her.

 

"We can go together if you want to. The five of us," Sungmin squatted beside Sunny to coax his heartbroken daughter, gently patting the little girl's head.

 

"See, Appa and Umma want to join us. It will be super fun, alright. Now, don't cry anymore. Your new friends would be confused seeing your red eyes on the first day of school." She wiped the tears away from her daughter's tender cheeks with her hand, took out a tissue from her bag to clean her snot. "You don't want to be late for class, right.? Go now."

 

Sunny turned her daughter's body to face the gate. "We will send you off here, and Daddy and I will pick you up later. Okay?"

 

Liana turned her head to nod at her mother, her lips were pulled down at the corners. She rubbed her eyes, then waved to the three adults before taking her steps through the gate. Just when she was about to turn right, she heard somebody called her name. Her daddy, Son Hoyoung, rushed over from across the street, waving his hand in process.

 

Liana turned at the direction of his voice and ran back through the gate, hugging her daddy tightly who was already squatting down by the time she reached him. He was still panting from the running.

 

"Daddy, I miss you," she muffled into his neck.

 

"Hey, Pumpkin, I'm all sweaty." He pulled her off by her shoulders. "Now let me see my princess in her new uniform."

 

The little girl giggled and turned around, showing her daddy her new look.

 

"You're too cute, Pumpkin. Just like your Mummy," he praised her while giving her cute little nose a kiss.

 

The little girl peered, "Seriously, Dad? Am I cute like Mummy? Yeay!" She exclaimed happily, hands up.

 

Hojoon got up to a standing position while ruffling his step daughter's hair. No, not a step daughter, but he already regarded her as his own daughter. Just like Sujin had. Meanwhile Sunny and Sungmin were observing the moment with looks of contents on their face. He used to be jealous over Hoyoung who were always there for his daughter when were still living in the States and Sungmin was left behind in South Korea. The jealousy wouldn't dissipated when the little family decided to move back to Seoul, until there was a time something bad would about happen to her daughter should Hoyoung didn't prevent it. From that moment on, Sungmin accepted him as Liana's guardian too, Liana's father too.

 

"Now, now, sweetheart. Daddy's here, so you should go in right now. You are late already," Sunny reminded her daughter.

 

"Alright, Mummy. See you, Mummy, Daddy, Appa, Umma!" She waved and went inside finally.

 

The four adults stood there. They kept staring although the little figure had disappeared inside the building.

 

"Time flies so fast, eh?" Sungmin started. "It feels just like yesterday that I hold her red body in my arms."

 

"I know right, Oppa." Sunny replied with a smile.

 

"Thank you, Sunny. For letting me to be in her life, as well as Sujin. I can't be more grateful for what you did, despite our past," Sungmin stated earnestly.

 

"Don't mention, Oppa. You have the rights to be in her life, as well as she has her rights to be in your life. Like I promised you, I wouldn't rob it of you two."

 

Hoyoung smiled upon his wife statement. That was one of her traits that made him fall madly in love with her. Her compassion. He circled his wide arm around Sunny's shoulder, pulling her closer.

 

"It is better this way anyway. All those kids in her school will get jealous of her. She has two mighty dads and two super moms," Hoyoung commented, joining the conversation.

 

"That's true. Doubled people taking her out, doubled presents, doubled amount of attention, doubled amount of love," Sujin joined in. She took Sungmin's hand in her, linking them together.

 

Sunny smiled. "Now, don't forget that we all promised to take her to ice cream parlor after her school hour ends. Be sure to keep that promise or she will nag me all week."

 

"Will do," the other three answer almost simultaneously.

 

They said every cloud has a silver lining, every bad situation has good aspects to it. For Sunny, Liana, the daughter of sun, was her silver lining. Storm might come, yet it would not last. As for the next day, she believed that the sun would shine ever brighter than before, making her life sparkled with happiness.

 

Liana turned her worst storm into days filled with sun. She taught her how to count her blessings, to enjoy every moment in life as she saw her baby grew bigger by the day. Added it with her caring husband beside her, good friends around, and never ending love from her family, her life felt complete. She long forgot about the difficult times she had, and now focused herself on the happiness ahead.

 

~end~

 

PS. Sorry if this doens't end the way you guys wanted :)