Chapter 3

Silver Lining

Sorry. It took longer than I wanted to update.

 

-----

 

"Can you move that box to the living room?"

 

"My God, did you pack stones in it?"

 

"Anybody see my phone?"

 

"No, no! Don't seal that box yet. My pink sweater is in there!"

 

It was two weeks before Tiffany and Taeyeon's departure to New York. Tiffany's departure was originally on September, but she decided to come a month earlier to help and assist Taeyeon to settle on her lodging and administrative issue. So, there they were, in the messiest state of Taeyeon and Tiffany's shared apartment in Seoul, helping the two to pack up stuff that they were about to send back to their parents's houses.

 

"There's no single man to help us carry these boxes downstairs for real?" asked Sooyoung in disbelief.

 

"Well, if you consider the security a man, then there is," answered Taeyeon. She asked one of the security in the lobby to come to her aid when they finished packing. "Besides, I never thought there are this many stuff."

 

"Not yours, but your pink monster's." Sunny pointed at Tiffany with her chin, while her hands were busily folding Fany's clothes which piles seemed to never decreased and arranging it into a box. "You better cut down her monthly shopping fund, Taeng."

"Guess so. Remind me to."

 

"Yah! I hear that! Don't you ever try!" exclaimed Tiffany from inside her room.

 

"I'm gonna ask Oppa to come and help us. Beside, he'll need to pick me up anyway. I don't drive today. You should better ask your Oppa too or we have to drag each of these boxes down ourselves," suggested Sunny to Sooyoung. She fished her cellphone from her hot pants back pocket. Mumbling "good idea, may as well ask him to bring food", Sooyoung did the same.

 

"Jiwoong oppa will also be here later. He'll deliver the stuff home," said Taeyeon.

 

"What about Fany's?" asked Yuri.

 

"We'll pay mover service," answered Taeyeon.

 

"I see." One hour later, the stuff they needed to pack seemed to reduced a lot. They left the furniture intact, since they were going to rent the apartment full furnished, not selling it. The buzzer rang. Sooyoung were scrambling to see who was on the monitor, silently hoping that it was his oppa. She had imagined the food she asked him to bring.

 

"S'youngah, open the door, please."

 

It was Sungmin. She pressed the button to let him in. "Already, Oppa. You can come up now."

 

Several minutes later, the apartment bell echoed. Yuri stood up to get the door, since she was the closest to it.

 

"Oh, you two come together?" asked Yuri when she saw Sungmin and Hokyung on the doorway.

 

"We met on the lift." Sungmin briefly explained. He was making his way inside, so was Hokyung.

 

Without squatting, they opened their shoes and left in on the foyer, together with the other girls' shoes. Once they stepped into the living room, Sooyoung blocked Hokyung rigth after. She reached out for the plastic bags containing food trays in Hokyung hands.

 

"Food!" She squealed in delight. But even when she was focused on the stuff in Hokyung's hands, with the corner of her eyes she caught that Sungmin didn't came empty handed. "Oppa, you bring us pizza? Oh, blissful! Come on."

 

Sungmin just chortled. The three of them went to the kitchen counter to put down the food Sungmin and Hokyung brought.

 

"I didn't know that Sungmin will be here, so I just bought six servings," admitted Hokyung. He took out the food package out of its plastic bag.

 

"It's okay, Oppa. The portion is big enough. We just need to mix it all and divide evenly," said Sooyoung. She reached the cabinet to get a big mixing bowl and started to sift the food into it, to mix the noodle with its sauce easier.

 

Sungmin put down the pizza he bought on the way, then he glanced around. When he couldn't find Sunny, he asked Yuri, "Where's she?"

 

"Probably in Taeng's room."

 

With the answer, Sungmin then walked towards the said room. Walking in, he greeted them, "Hello ladies."

 

He saw Taeyeon and Tiffany sitting crossed legged on their bed, sorting day to day stuff which they would have needed for the rest of two weeks they were in Korea. Sunny, on the other hand, sat crossed legged on the carpeted floor, packing Tiffany's beauty products in a rather big pouch. The three ladies then turned their heads towards him and greeted him back, "Hi, Oppa."

 

He then bowed down to kiss his girlfriend on her crown. An action which received a pretty eye smile from Sunny in return, and a gagging voice plus giggling from Taeyeon and Tiffany respectively.

 

"Yah! You two have it worse, you know!" yelled Sunny in defensive tone. Taeyeon just shrugged her shoulder.

 

"Let's eat first. Hokyung brought jjajangmyeon and I brought pizza." He nudged Sunny to get up and ushered her out of room, while the other two followed them from behind.

 

They resumed with whatever was left to pack after that. It didn't take too long before they were completely done with packing since there were only a few left.

 

Meanwhile, an hour later Taeyeon's brother came and the three guys and Taeyeon, plus Sooyoung who took part as supervisor, loaded Taeyeon's boxes into her brother's van.

 

When the last box was loaded, Hokyung asked while stretching, "No more boxes, right? Gosh, I think I'm gonna break my back."

 

Sooyoung chuckled. She rubbed his spine. Despite his mature, polished appearance, Hokyung's personality was most of the time friendly and easy going. That was why he matched well with Sooyoung.

 

"Yep. Thank you for helping, oppa," Taeyeon patted his arm in gratitude.

 

"Don't mention it."

 

They were going inside when Sooyoung walked closer to Sungmin. "Oppa, you okay?" She asked, feeling concerned.

 

"Yeah. Although, if I can, I'd rather knocked loose my waist for some time." He joked rather seriously.

 

Sooyoung smile, "I opt for my arms then. But it isn't what I'm talking about. I'm talking about you, oppa."

 

"What about me?"

 

"I don't know. You seem rather off. And I remember Sunny mentioned that you being grumpy lately."

 

"Oh, that. I was just having a difficult time lately with my business. Nothing big." He shrugged his shoulder.

 

Sensing that he didn't want to share, Sooyoung decided not to meddle in much longer. "Okay. You can share to me if you want to, Oppa." Sooyoung reminded him.

 

"I will. Thanks," replied Sungmin before they went into the unit.

 

---

 

"Sorry to trouble you, Oppa" Tiffany said to Sungmin when he opened the door. She dragged her pink suitcase inside Sungmin and Sunny's apartment, while Taeyeon was following behind, dragging hers and carrying some hand bags more.

 

Having been discussed with Sungmin before, Sunny suggested that they stayed at their place for the remaining one week since the tenant had moved in to their apartment. An offer which was gladly taken by the couple, but still felt uncomfortable somehow.

 

"Hi guys," greeted Sunny who was placing dishes on the dining table. It was dinner time anyway. Also since she felt like it, she decided to finish working earlier, pay supermarket a visit, and buy some ingredients to cook dinner for four.

 

"Sunny," Fany ran to hug her, leaving her suitcase on the living room. "Thank you for letting us stay."

 

"Aish... Do you have to really mention it?" Sunny knocked Fany on her forehead. "Come on, let's eat. You two, too. Just leave it there for now." She motioned to Sungmin and Taeyeon, who were still struggling with suitcases and handbags.

 

"You go," Sungmin told Taeyeon. "I'll put these in the guest room first, then I'll join you guys."

 

"What? No. I'll do it too."

 

Two hours later, Sungmin and Sunny and Taeyeon and Tiffany were already in their respective rooms, preparing to sleep. Taeyeon just changed into her pajama and Tiffany were removing her make up with cleansing milk when they heard like a bang on a wood, and yelling "You won't understand!!" Sungmin's voice to be exact. Then a they heard the door slamming, some rough shuffling on the wooden floor and another door slamming. Front door this time. Fany and Taeyeon exchanged glances.

 

"What's that?" asked Taeyeon.

 

"D'you think they argued over us staying here?" Fany asked fretfully.

 

"Hey, don't jump into conclusion. We know them, I think it is not because of us." coaxed Taeyeon.

 

"Do you think we should go to see Sunny now?"

 

Taeyeon thought for one or two seconds before agreeing to the suggestion, "Yea, let's."

 

They knocked Sunny and Sungmin's room gently. "Sunny, can we come in?" Fany asked warily.

 

"Ah, yea. Come in." she said from inside the room.

 

They saw her sitting on the end of the bed, welcoming them to come in with a smile that didn't reach her eyes. No matter how hard Sunny tried to hide her feeling, it was still shown. Disappointed, hurt, yet tough were on her face.

 

"Hey, u okay?" Taeyeon asked gingerly. She went to sit beside her, while Fany was standing on Sunny's other side.

 

Sunny hesitated for a moment before finally answering, "Sorry that you had to hear it."

 

Fany gave Sunny a hug. "It's fine. By the way, is there a chance that you had fight because of..." her voice trailed down.

 

Sunny sighed, "No, it's not because of you. He is being grumpy lately."

 

"Does he often raise his voice to you? Never I know that he is capable to bark at people," said Fany innocently. Taeyeon threw a warning glance at her, trying to stop her inquiring further. She felt that it wasn't the best time to do so. Finally realizing, Tiffany quickly apologized.

 

"S'kay. ... This is the second time," Sunny slurred a little with her words. Fany raised her eyebrow at that. "Listen, it isn't every day he gets nasty like this. He's stressed out lately. Something come up with his business," she defended her boyfriend.

 

Taeyeon and Fany listened attentively. Staring gently at her, they urged her to continue.

 

"It's not really clear, but I assumed it has something to do with this huge project and low funding."

 

The two slightly nodded. Fany threw the knowing look as an idea popped in her head. A look which Sunny understood, yet making her snorted.

 

"Listen, I don't mean to belittle him, but the idea of borrowing from you makes sense, you know. Just like Sooyoung," Tiffany quickly explained.

 

"Not for him. It doesn't work that way for him," answered Sunny. "I've tried to persuade him. In fact, I was persuading him just now to use my money as to cover the deficit and telling him that he can and should pay me back later, but it won't work. He refused and got angry. The rest, you know."

 

"His ego is kinda huge," Taeyeon stated, more to herself.

 

"Huh?"

 

"Yea, he's a nice guy, but his ego is apparently quite huge."

 

"Translation?" Fany raised one eyebrow in question.

 

"He refused Sunny funding his business, right, although the situation is kinda urgent. Probably because he wants to show her that he's capable of handling things. He wants to show you, what a capable man he is," Taeyeon reasoned.

 

"I pretty much guessed so," Sunny sighed.

 

"What about bank loan?" Fany suggested.

 

"He applied, apparently the bank hasn't granted it," answered Sunny. She looked down her hands on her lap, fiddling them with a far off look.

 

"Hey, don't be sad. Just be patient with him. He'll come around sooner or later. Bet he'll start listening to you," Taeyeon patted Sunny's back, assured her.

 

Sunny smiled at Taeyeon and Tiffany. She thanked them silently. However, her mind wouldn't rest. Something was still bothering her.