Chapter Six

Don't Say Goodbye

“Bzz. Bzz. Bzz.”

Ryeowook groaned and opened his eyes lazily. Kyuhyun was sleeping soundly on the sofa, much to his relief. Ryeowook looked at the digital clock hanging on the wall. It read “3:46 AM”.  He reached for his cell phone and suppressed a yelp when he saw the caller ID.

“Seo- Joohyun ah,” he whispered. “why are you calling? It’s so late!” Ryeowook tiptoed to the kitchen so that he would not disturb Kyuhyun.

“Wook… Ryeowook ah,” Joohyun took heavy breaths before continuing, “just now, Kyu, he… was in great pain and… pushed me away… I’m so scared and worried… I…” Joohyun failed to contain her sobs and Ryeowook’s heart wrenched. So that was what happened. He listened patiently for almost half an hour to her explanation. It was painful enough to hear what had happened, but her heart-wrenching sobs made it worse.

“I’m just so worried… about his safety…” She choked.

“Don’t worry. That fella’s with me.” Ryeowook faked his chirpiest voice ever. He had to come across a little more casually to lift the mood. He’s done this a couple of times before, even if it was years ago. Ryeowook swallowed, feeling unknown fear.

“Really?” Joohyun managed to cough out. Her voice was dry and hoarse, probably due to the fact she had cried for almost 3 hours. “Joohyun ah, go get yourself some water, your voice is dying.” Ryeowook heard some noises through the phone and was relieved when Joohyun reported that she did as he instructed. She can’t lose her precious voice. Kyuhyun would not be able to talk to her then.

“Wook ah,” Joohyun suddenly said after a moment of silence. “what exactly is wrong with Kyu?” Joohyun sounded much better, but her voice was trembling, still frightened from what happened not too long ago. Joohyun was clever enough to figure out that Kyuhyun’s headache was not due to the fact that he had not slept well. After the incident last week, she was sure that Kyuhyun would get himself sufficient rest. She had dated him for 4 years.

Ryeowook’s heart started beating much faster than usual upon hearing her question. He had badly wanted to reveal Kyuhyun’s condition so that she could mentally prepare herself but he did not want to betray his best friend. Kyuhyun should tell her of his condition on his own. He cleared his throat and said with the calmest voice he could fake, “I’m not sure. Honestly, this guy’s more open to you than to me.”

“Really? Haven’t you guys met since high school?” Joohyun had to find out from Ryeowook. Kyuhyun has a stubborn personality that she was well aware of. It would be dumb of her to find out the truth from Kyuhyun. Ryeowook was definitely the best person to turn to. He was a lot more cooperative and compliant compared to her boyfriend. Or at least that was what she thought.

“Uh yeah, but we were not exactly the closest of friends. I was always-always with my group of guys.” Ryeowook did not tell a lie exactly. He was really always with the same guys during classes or lunchtime. It was only after meeting Kyuhyun and seeing him become some sort of monster that Ryeowook and friends started befriending Kyuhyun. Ryeowook, being the most soft-hearted and friendly yet mature one, became closer to Kyuhyun than any other people. There were even times they were teased by their friends for being so close, like lovers. It got a little bit worse when Ryeowook actually met Kyuhyun’s family, but all was rather manageable.

“Hey, you have to sleep now. Force yourself to get some rest. You can’t survive the day by sleeping so late!” He wanted to get off the line badly. It was like their conversation was killing him. No, their conversation was killing him.

“Alright,” she replied, sounding tired. “Do you have time tomorrow afternoon? We could meet up.”

“Ah-ah no, I have to- to visit my grandmother tomorrow.” He anxiously fired. Ryeowook mentally slapped himself hard for giving such a lame excuse that he was sure such a smart girl like Joohyun would not accept. Surprisingly Joohyun let out a disappointing ‘okay’ before hanging up.

Ryeowook almost wanted to die at that moment. He slowly made his way back into the dark living room and sat down on the sofa. Ryeowook sighed at the sight of his friend. Kyuhyun’s face was peaceful, as if nothing bothered him in life, yet his body was tense. Knowing that Kyuhyun was a deep-sleeper after such an ordeal, Ryeowook gently massaged his friend’s shoulder to loosen it up. It did not help much, but it was the best he could do. Being so tensed up like this will only result in a sore body after you wake up, fool. Unknowingly, Ryeowook fell asleep on the sofa; legs still locked in the sitting position while body slanted to his right, head resting on the armrest.

-----

Joohyun rubbed her sore eyes as the afternoon sunlight streamed through her thin sapphire blue curtains.  She got out of bed groggily and slipped her feet into her slippers. She stood up only to quickly sit back down when a sharp pain travelled up her body. Joohyun had completely forgotten that her ankle was swollen and that her friend had helped her to bandage it. Slowly, she stood up, shifting most of her weight onto her left leg. She looked down at her right ankle with tears in her eyes, not only because of the physical pain. Carefully, she limped her way to her door and pushed it open.

“Aigo, Joohyun ah! Are you alright?” Her mother came rushing towards her, helping Joohyun to the dining table. The smell of fried rice and sweet potatoes woke her up almost instantly. It has been a while since she had tasted her mother’s cooking. Work and dates occupied most of her time, leaving her only a few hours a week to enjoy with her mother.

“I’ll whip up one more dish and we can start eating. Here’s some water.” Joohyun’s mother put a cup filled with plain water on the table and kissed her forehead. Joohyun took small sips and closed her eyes. She forgot what time she fell asleep, but she was sure that she did not have had enough of it. She felt really nauseous but tried her best not to show it. The last thing she wanted was her dearest mother to worry. When she went home, it was almost chaotic, as if she was going through a war.

Joohyun pushed open the door and limped into the house. She did it as quietly as she could so that her mother would not wake up. Joohyun did not notice that her mother was at the kitchen drinking water. When her bloodshot eyes met her mother’s, Joohyun knew that she was in trouble.

“Oh my goodness Seo Joohyun whatthehellhappenedtoyou!” Mrs. Seo fired like a machine gun. Joohyun swallowed. She recalled the last time she accidentally injured her knee when she was in high school. Her mother was so paranoid and even brought her to a hospital to treat her knee, which was only in scratches. A clinic would have done fine but Mrs. Seo being Mrs. Seo, Joohyun was brought to the hospital despite her protests.

“No-nothing Mum I’m seriously fine. I just-just fell off the stairs by accident!” Joohyun quickly said. She grabbed Mrs. Seo by her shoulders and ensured that the injury was not serious at all.

“A sprained ankle can be very serious do you not know that? Come, let’s go to the hospital to have it properly treated and bandaged. Look, even your eyes are red! It must hurt so much!” Mrs. Seo was ready to rush to her room when Joohyun stopped her. She shook her head and pulled her mother away from her room.

“Please Mum, I’m old enough. I’m not your 5 year-old baby girl anymore, I’m already 22 (A/N: International age)!” She pleaded. She squeezed her mother’s hand and gave her an assuring smile. It was difficult for her after going through a trauma, but she had to.

“Okay my angel, but please get yourself treated soon, alright?” She kissed her daughter’s forehead and helped her to her room. It took almost forever for Joohyun to finally convince her mother to go and sleep.

‘That’s what you’ll get when you’re the only child.’ Joohyun thought with a sigh.

The smell of grilled fish filled her nose and Joohyun let out a slight smile. It was a very simple lunch, yet Joohyun appreciated it so much. She picked up her chopsticks and smiled at her mother.

“I’ll eat it well!” She chimed. Pretending that she was fine to prevent her mother from (over) worrying was part of her everyday life and she was more than used to it, however today, it was a little more difficult than usual.

-----

Kyuhyun groaned as he pushed himself up from the sofa. He adjusted his eyes to his surroundings and realized that he was in Ryeowook’s house. Terrifying memories from the night before flooded back into his mind and his chest felt extremely heavy. Kyuhyun’s arm gave way and he fell back onto the sofa. Suddenly he heard sizzling sounds and the smell Ryeowook’s signature dish filled his nose. It has been a while since Kyuhyun ate Ryeowook’s cooking.

“Yah Cho Kyuhyun!” Ryeowook shouted from the kitchen. “I know you’re awake. I’ve already applied leave for you. After cooking I’ll be out, so you stay here until I get back, understand?”

“Yes, Kim umma…” Kyuhyun said softly as he leaned against the kitchen table. He helped himself to a glass of water, drinking from Ryeowook’s favourite cup. Ryeowook saw it but didn’t react. He was not childish enough to fight over one cup.

Kyuhyun dug into Ryeowook’s kimchi fried rice and steamed fish. Ryeowook left the house to report for work even before Kyuhyun could sit down and eat. He could not blame the older for rushing; they were preparing for an upcoming musical. The taste of the fried rice was still the same even after so many years, but Kyuhyun enjoyed it nonetheless. I wonder what she’s eating now. Kyuhyun cleared up his food within 15 minutes and washed the utensils.

Leaving Kyuhyun alone in a big house was not exactly the best idea. He was one that would start to think a lot when he was alone. It happens every time he exploded into a monster. He closed his eyes as he lay on Ryeowook’s large bed. What if this happens again? How many people must I hurt?

He let out a deep sigh. Suddenly his phone rang. Knowing that it was Ryeowook since he set a specific ringtone for him, he picked it up and put it on speaker.

“You alright?” Ryeowook asked. Kyuhyun mumbled a short reply Ryeowook took for a ‘yes’. “Oh yeah, where did you put your file? The one for the lights.” Kyuhyun instructed Ryeowook where he left it and they both hung up.

Kyuhyun stared into space and a terrifying thought filled his head. Half of him was seriously contemplating it, while the other half was wary of it. Two sides of him fought as he laid out all the possibilities and consequences. His heart pounded hard against his chest, suffocating him.

Seeking death, was the thought that would not go away even after he left Ryeowook’s house.


HELLO!!!!! :D

I'M BACK AFTER 2 WEEKS OF EXAMS OH MY GOD. IT WAS SO CRAZY.

And even after studying til late at night and waking up at 5.30am to continue studying, I have no confidence in passing ANY of the papers. I was so unprepared and I procrastinated until a week before the exams. I think I shall start studying more now, better fail now than to fail my 'O' Levels taking place in November right?

I hope you guys liked this chapter. I wanted to write a chapter long enough to make up for my absence. I suggest you take notice of the time change in Chapter One (first paragraph), it affects the story somehow.

Anyways, thanks for reading and supporting! Saranghaeyong~