Chapter One

Don't Say Goodbye

Kyuhyun packed his small luggage and took one last glance at the room that had seen all his emotions from Day One. All the memories seemed to play in front of his eyes like a movie. From the day he moved in to this one room apartment, to the day he first brought his girlfriend over, to the days he screamed into the darkness when the monster returned. He smiled, thankful for the memories, good or bad. He forced himself to step out of the house, leaving behind 5 years of memories.

Kyuhyun took a cab to the nearest train station and carefully admired the buildings that passed him. He took them for granted, and Kyuhyun regretted not looking at them properly. He absorbed the passing view as much as he could before he left once and for all. He smiled at the littlest of things, like the children running down the streets and the gentle swaying of the leaves in the spring. Kyuhyun looked at the sky, and felt his heart sink. Nevertheless, he admired the birds and clouds above, as well as everything around him.

“Sir, we’re here.” The cab driver said. Kyuhyun paid him and took his luggage out of the rear. He wheeled his small luggage towards the train station that seemed to contain more memories than his house ever did. He took a deep breath to control his emotions before stepping into the train station. He tapped his card on the gantry and proceeded down the large flight of stairs that he has to climb every morning to school. The moment he stepped onto the train platform, he felt like crying.

This was where he had met his angel, Seo Joohyun, for the first time. Kyuhyun recalled that day and smiled to himself.

-----

It was the first day of college, and he dreaded it so much. He promised his parents he’ll get into college no matter what the circumstance, just so that he does not disappoint his family of educators. He groaned whenever an insensitive kid bumped into him in the crowded train station, but when she bumped into him, his whole world stopped. Their eyes made brief contact, and he could feel like he was about to die with his heart beating so fast. It was a less-than-a-second interaction, but it created a lasting impact. She bowed a little before apologizing. Kyuhyun regretted blasting his music through his earpieces, for he could have heard her voice. ‘It must be as angelic as her face,’

When the boarded the train, he was over the moon to find out that she was just a few people away from each other in the same cabin. Kyuhyun recalled staring at her beautiful face in the crowded and stuffy train cabin. She looked energized and ready for college with her eyes glistening with excitement. Kyuhyun recalled her wearing a plain white t-shirt with a pair of skinny jeans. Her light pink headphones completed her innocent look. She radiated an aura that was so bright and innocent; it seemed to have driven his darkness away.

When Kyuhyun entered his first class in college, ecstatic was an understatement as to how he felt. That angel he saw in the train was sitting right at the first row, tapping away on her phone. He felt himself walking towards her, but stopped in his tracks. He had wanted to reserve the last row so badly, but now seeing her diligently sitting at the front row made him think twice. The girl looked up from her phone and saw Kyuhyun at the doorway. She smiled, and he swore he could’ve melted. It was a simple gesture, yet it meant the world to him. She bowed, and he did the same. He looked at the seat at the far corner of the lecture room and back at her.

“Go ahead, I’m sure someone else will take that precious seat if you continue standing there.” She spoke. ‘It is as angelic as her face.’ Kyuhyun thought. Kyuhyun nervously walked towards the seat at the back of the lecture room, as if he was going for a punishment. He felt his stomach clench as he took his seat, eyes never leaving that angel that just spoke.

The girl did not feel less nervous than he was. She had always been a shy girl, never ever talking to guys since she came from an all-girls school. Now that she was in college, she decided to be braver than before. If she wanted to make a friend, she had to do it now. She sat on her seat nervously for a few minutes before standing up and moving towards Kyuhyun, who was staring at her wide-eyed.

“H-Hello.” She spoke ever so softly. He bowed and returned the greeting. “I-I’m Seo Joo-Joohyun.” She mentally slapped herself for stuttering so much. Kyuhyun suppressed a laugh. She was too cute, her adorableness was beyond words.

“Kyuhyun. Cho Kyuhyun.” He finally spoke. Joohyun mouthed his name a few times before smiling. “Hello Kyuhyun-sshi.” Seohyun said using honorifics. He could see that Joohyun’s cheeks were turning red, probably from her shyness. He tried not to laugh at how adorable she was being, but it became a snort instead. She bit her lower lip and scratched her neck, clearly embarrassed.

“Erm…” Kyuhyun hasn’t socialized for years. However, this interaction came so natural to him, he felt like they had already known each other for a very long time. “So, what are you planning to major in?” He wanted to do music so badly, he fought with his parents for it.

“Music. I want to try composing since I play the piano.” Joohyun replied. She tilted her head to her right and asked formally, “How about you Kyuhyun-sshi?”

“Same.” He smiled, a first in ages. The smile too came naturally for him. It was then he had made his confirmation, the beautiful princess in front of him was his angel sent down to protect him. The instant connection they shared, it was beyond imagination.