Chapter Four

Don't Say Goodbye

“Kyu!” She called out, smiling widely. Kyuhyun smiled too and got up from his seat. But just before he straightened his legs, he felt the world spin. His smile vanished instantly and fell back onto the chair he was sitting on, closing his eyes shut as the pain grew.

“KYUHYUN AH!” Joohyun screamed. Joohyun tossed her handbag onto the seat opposite him and shook his shoulders. The more she shook however, the more pain he experienced. Kyuhyun roughly pushed Joohyun’s hands away, stunning Joohyun. “Kyuhyun ah…” She whispered, tears in her eyes. Thankfully, another customer saw the situation and called the ambulance.

Upon arriving at the hospital, Kyuhyun was transported to the emergency ward. (A/N: I’m really bad with hospital terms because I’ve only been to the hospital twice when I was younger) Joohyun was trembling uncontrollably outside, even when she was wearing a coat thick enough. Her tears were still on her eyes, but they would not fall out. She would much rather cry, but her tears stayed in her eyes to torture her. What is this? Why? She kept asking herself. Hesitantly, she took out her phone and tapped on it with whatever strength was left in her.

 

To: Ryeowook
Ryeowook ah… I’m at the hospital near our school, come now. Emergency ward 2.

 

As she sat outside the emergency room, every passing second was pure torture to her. She had never felt so much emotional pain in her entire life. Love… is it meant to hurt that bad? She held onto her phone accessory tightly and her tears finally flowed down her face, leaving a trail of flaw behind.

“Seo Joohyun!” Someone cried. It was obvious who it was, who else would have such a unique voice? She slowly looked up, eyes staring into the man standing in front of her, panting hard. “Wook ah…” She bit her lower lips, completely at loss of what to say. Yet, in those eyes she was staring at, showed some sort of understanding, as if he knew what exactly happened. Joohyun was too tired to care. Or maybe, she was too afraid to care.

After a grueling 2 hours, the doctor finally came out. Ryeowook’s eyes widened, and looked at Joohyun who was sleeping on his shoulder. “Hello, Dr. Kim.” Ryeowook whispered in honorifics. The doctor smiled at him, a sad smile. A smile that filled Ryeowook with intense fear. Just then, Joohyun woke up. When she saw the doctor, she sprang up and asked the doctor, “Is… is Kyuhyun… alright?” The doctor nodded, saying that she could see him in a while. Ryeowook told Joohyun to sit first and followed the doctor. Once they disappeared around the corner, Ryeowook stopped the doctor.

“Dr. Kim…” Ryeowook’s voice trembled. 4 years… no way is it gonna come again. He thought. Dr. Kim put his hand on the younger’s shoulder and gave it a small squeeze. “I’m afraid, Ryeowook-sshi, the tumour in his brain has grown.” Upon hearing that, his tears flowed automatically down his cheekbones. Ryeowook’s mouth parted slightly and his body froze completely. He swallowed, before asking the next question.

“How long more does he have? Will he behave like in the past?” Ryeowook prayed that this was just a dream, and everything will be gone in a flash. The doctor merely sighed. He was trying to find the right words to say. It was not easy to break the truth to such a young man so strong yet so fragile.

“Not-not more than a year.”

“Can you remove the tumor? Please?”

“It’ll be dangerous. There’s only a 10% chance he can survive the operation, I-“

“Has it spread?”

The doctor sighed. There was no point continuing this conversation. The tumour has worsened so much. Maybe too much.

“How did it become so big? Did he stop his medication?” The doctor asked sternly. Ryeowook tried to recall. He remembered that Kyuhyun told him that the tumour only started growing when he was in middle school, but worsened when he hit high school. It was with the help of medication did Kyuhyun manage to sail through high school. But in college… he didn’t remember Kyuhyun taking any medication.

“I think he did… when he started college.” Ryeowook replied softly. Ryeowook closed his eyes and leaned against the wall. Suddenly, he thought of Joohyun. How is she going to cope? If he can’t survive the operation, Kyuhyun would have to live like the monster he was. The short-lived yet incredibly scary monster. The thought of it frightens him. Flashbacks of Kyuhyun screaming in class due to the pain, pushing tables aside and eyes that was completely unrecognizable made his heart beat twice as fast.

“I think that lady over there… she’ll need some support too.” Dr. Kim said. “I think you either go tell her the truth, or wait a while. Who knows, there might be a miracle somehow.” Ryeowook heaved a sigh, and nodded. “I’ll keep in touch with you Dr. Kim.”

Ryeowook walked back to Joohyun with a smile. A smile that is extremely difficult to put on, but he did it anyways.

“What took you so long?” Joohyun asked, eyes filled with worry.

“Ah, nothing. I went to ask the doctor about some stuff. He’s a doctor I know. Then I went to the washroom.” He managed to lie. Some stuff… yeah. Some stuff.

Innocent Joohyun nodded, and a nurse directed them to the ward Kyuhyun was in. Joohyun went in first while Ryeowook excused himself to make a call to Kyuhyun’s older sister.

“Noona...” Ryeowook said over the phone. He closed his eyes, and finally let himself cry at the stairwell.


Well... I hope this explains something. I seriously racked my brains for this. I think writing a fanfic is MUCH more difficult than doing Maths or History. Or homework in general.

Still, I hope you guys like this chapter. This is a Ryeowook biased chapter, but it should help explain better. If there's any questions, I'll try to answer them in future chapters. I'm gonna go angsty mode the next few days because I'll be missing THREE days of school for some 'motivational' workshop. NOOOOO I need my revision BADLY. KPOP is my motivation, I'm fine *continues rant*

Anyways, thanks for reading!

(non related: OMG CNBLUE WAS AWESOME LAST NIGHT. Okay end.)