~Chapter_ONE~

Our Dreams~ Together

 

………………………………………………….

 

The rain poured heavily. It poured down to me. I quickly ran to the nearby shade. I waited for minutes before the rain stopped. As it stopped, I quickly ran to my house so that I would not get drenched whenever the rain poured again. As I entered the house, It feel so warm inside even the house is just small and made of some old and weak woods. At least it comforted me every time I get inside.

I entered my room. I saw Kibum lied in my bed. A smile planted in my face as I looked unto him.

“Hey Jonghyun-hyung.” He shouted happily

“Hey, you’re here.” I replied giving him a smile

“My dad just let me stay in your place for the whole night. Is that alright with you?” he asked giving me a cute smile. He always makes that cute smile whenever he sees me. That smile always makes my heart melt.

“It’s ok. Well, my umma isn’t coming tonight.” I replied. I take my wet shirt off exposing my body. I felt cold breeze hit my skin. I quickly grabbed a shirt inside the old wooden closet. I also changed my pants.But I didn’t mind even changing clothes in front of Kibum. Well, being his Best Friend is always make me feel comfortable.

“Hyung, are you hungry?” Kibum asked

“Nope.” I replied. I really know him. When he asked me that question, I know that he’s the one to be hungry. I know in his eyes. And I very know Kibum’s personality. We grew up together.

“Let’s go!” I shouted to him while I dried my hair using a towel.

“To where?” he asked in confusion

“Since the rain stopped, I know that you’re hungry. Let’s go eat.” I said

“How do you know hyung that I’m hungry?” he asked

“Hehe! I know you very well. I can see in those beautiful feline eyes of yours.” I replied pulling him outside my room

We headed to a cheap yet delicious food store near the river bank. I always treated him here when I have extra money. Even though I know that my salary is not that high enough for the daily expenses, I always try my best to treat him.

I ordered his favorite noodle soup with squids in it for him, while I ordered noodle soup with octopus tentacles. We sat on the table for two. We eat our soups happily. I glanced at him and saw his cute face eating cutely. Then, he looked up to me and thanked me for the treat.

“Thanks Hyung! You’re the Best!” he said giving me a cute smile. I love the way his lips curl into a cute smile, his cheekbone lifts, and his feline eyes glow and shine. I know inside that shining eyes, inside that cute smile, inside his happy face, is sadness. Sadness because I know because of me, his dreams stopped. Because of me, he stopped his classes.

>>FLASHBACH<<

We we’re in second year in high school. We we’re classmates. The both of us we’re very happy. Happy because we have each other. We have good grades, we helped each other in studying. We don’t have any other friends here in this school. Yet we’re very happy, because of our friendship. Our friendship that I know will last forever.

We protect each other when someone bullies us. We always get in trouble when someone insults us. But even of those harsh words everybody throws on us, we still stayed strong because we know that we don’t need them, as long as we’re together. That’s why I love my Best Friend so much.

All things were fine until a bad news came. Really bad news.

I came home with Kibum. I entered my house and saw my mother and father were fighting each other. They are throwing different harsh words to each other. My father is just a gardener and my mother is a street vendor. They we’re fighting to the point that my father punches my mother. In front of me. I tried to stop them from quarrelling but it ended up that was kicked by my father.

I cried. I cried silently as I watch them fight each other. I thought they were really fit together but why now? Why do they quarrel like cats and dogs? I didn’t mind to hear their harsh words, even the word they say. All I mind is to what will this quarreling and fighting end.

In the end, my father packs up all his things and leave us alone. We were crying. Crying of pain my father just caused. Now, how can my mother and I start a new beginning?

After my mother just stopped from crying, she went to my room and told me something I never really expected. A thing that really broke my heart.

“Jonghyun” she said facing me. Tears forming in her eyes, which made me cry also. I don’t really know what’s going on.

‘What’s wrong? What’s wrong with my mom? What is she going to tell me?’ I thought

“Jonghyun, I’m so sorry.” She said giving me a hug. A tight hug.

“What is it ma? Tell me what it is.” I cried hugging her back

“I’m so sorry, but…but I’m afraid you should stop from schooling.” She said.

Shock. I only feel shocked. Why? Why should I stop?

“Why umma? Why should I stop schooling? I need to study so that…so that I can get a good job after that.” I protested

“But…but son, if you still keep from schooling, we will die. We’ll die for hunger. We can’t afford everything now since your appa leaved us. You stupid appa leaved us. So what will you expect?” she said

I cried that night. I cried because I broke my promise to Kibum. I promised him that we’ll take our dreams together. Now, I’m just that poor little Jonghyun that just stopped schooling.

The next morning, Kibum cheerfully entered my room. He was dressed in our uniform. I forgot its Tuesday. As he saw me still not dressed in uniform, curiosity filled his emotions. A brow rose from his face.

“Why are you still in your pajamas? Aren’t you going to school today?” he asked

“No Kibum. I’m afraid I’m not going to school from now on.” I said tear forming in my eyes “My umma and appa fought last night which caused my appa to leave us. That leads to me stop from schooling.”

I saw him widened his eyes. Shock also filled his emotions. A tear fell from his eyes to his flawless cheeks.

“Why hyung? Aren’t you sincere on what you promised me?” he said. I know that I broke his heart now.

“It’s not like that Kibum, it’s just…” I was cut by the heavy stumps Kibum made as he leave me alone in my room. I thought of letting him just go, but minutes after, I realized that he needs me right now. He needs me ‘cause he doesn’t have any friends to comfort him. I need to follow him so that I can explain carefully what just happened.

I ran to the school but that teacher just said that he didn’t attend the class today. I know exactly where is he right now. I know he’s up in the hilltop. We always go there. We go there when we’re happy, when we’re sad, when we’re excited, every time we experienced anything, we always go there. The hilltop would be the best place of us. That place was full of memories. That’s why we always go to that place.

As I climbed up to the hilltop, I saw Kibum sat on the log under the wide maple tree. I saw he’s upset right now. I know how much I broke his heart with that. But I need to talk to him.

I sat beside him and put my arm around his shoulders making our bodies come closer.

“You didn’t go to the class.” I said. His face lifted to see me. I saw those beautiful eyes, those feline eyes full of sadness. Sadness that I know caused by me.

“Are you sure ‘bout stopping?” he asked. His eyes start to water. Tears are now forming in his eyes. My emotions get very sad on what’s happening right now.

“If that’ll be my destiny. Maybe it’s not the right time to make my dreams come true.” I smiled a sad smile to him

“Why’d be destiny so rude to us?” he said picking a stone, glaring at it before he throws it as far as he could. I know he threw it with anger.

“I don’t know either. Maybe for now we’re not that lucky, but someday I know, we can pursue our dreams. Or maybe, for now destiny will only give us unlucky things but I know, it will change for the better. And maybe it’s not the right time for that.” I replied

“I know that hyung. That’s why I decided to stop also.” He said

My eyes widened on the words he just said. ‘He’s going to stop schooling?’ I thought

“Why?” I questioned him.

“Because I promised you that we’ll reach our dreams together. We’ll be right here for each other in good times and bad times, even in the worst times right hyung?” he stated

“I know we promised that each other but you didn’t need to do this.” I replied

“But hyung, I just wanted to. I know how much you wanted to pursue our dreams. Me too. That’s why I wanted to pursue it with you because you’re the only friend I had. You’re the only one who cares about me. Best Friend, I wanted that we pursue our dream TOGETHER.” He stated emphasizing the last word.

That words, that sentences he just said, that touched my heart. I never really expected someone like him cares about me. I didn’t expect someone like him loved me like this. He’s really a Best Friend.

“I’m so glad Kibum. I’m so lucky to have a Best Friend like you.” I said hugging him tightly. I cried but this time, I cried for joy. Joy that I always feel when I’m with him. Joy for the fact that my Best Friend cares so much about me.

>>END OF FLASHBACK<<

I just smiled at him as a sign of Your Welcome. As we finished our soups, we paid the bill and headed to the hilltop where we could relax ourselves. We sat on the log under the wide maple tree. We sat silently for about a minute. But Kibum broke that quietness.

“Hyung, do you want to go home now?” he asked looking up to me. I saw those beautiful feline eyes again. I just love those eyes.

“Uhmm, nope. I just wanted to stay here longer. Since the rain has stopped already.” I said looking up into the sky. The sky is now clear. Some clouds are there but not dark clouds. The sun is now on the horizon, shining a bright orange color that reflects in the sky. “I want to stay here until night came.” I continued

I saw Kibum’s face lightened on the words I just spit out in my mouth. “Hyung, I also wanted to stay. As long as you’re here with me.” He said. My emotions filled with happiness as he said those words. Every word that comes from his mouth is treasure to me. It’s because they always makes me happy. Those words that always said in a cute voice. That voice that always makes me melts. He has the most beautiful voice I ever heard.

I put my hand in his cheeks and pinched it using my fingers. I’m so glad to have him in my life. To have him as my Best Friend.

The sun continue to set as we stayed sited in that log. The sky begins to get dark, and some stars are beginning to shine and glow in their own way. It remembered me of those feline eyes that glow every time they catch in me. Those feline eyes that belongs to my one and only friend that sits beside me.

“Hey hyung! Can you see that bright star?” he asked pointing to the brightest star in the night.

“Yeah. Why?” I asked curiously.

“I know that that big star came from a small star. I know that it started from being a small star with no glow at all. But now, see, it’s the brightest of them all.” He said pointing to it again

“What is your point?” I asked. He faced me with a smile in his face.

“Like us. Today, we’re just poor little guys that always search for job. But I know someday, like that big star, we will rise and shine. We will pursue our dream without help of anyone around us, but with the help of each other. I know someday, we’ll be a star.” He said chuckling. I’m so touched with those sentences he just said. He’s a one of a kind friend. If I have to choose between becoming rich and him, of course I would choose him. I can live without those money but I can’t live without my Best Friend.

“Wow Hyung! Look at that!” he said pointing to the sky lanterns flying up to the sky.

“Yeah, sky lanterns. I forgot that today’s the town fiesta of the nearby town.” I said smiling at him

“Hyung, what do you call those flying objects again?” he asked

“Sky Lanterns. Haven’t you seen such beautiful scenario?” I asked curiosly

“Nope hyung.” He said shyly

“Well maybe the lanterns came from the amusement park.” I said

“Have you gone to the amusement park?” he asked

“Yeah! Once when I was little.” I said giving Kibum a cute smile.

“I never gone to an amusement park. We should go to sometime.” He said smiling at me and giving me puppy eyes which made my emotions to rise.

“Uhmm, yeah. Let’s go next week.” I replied to him

“Really hyung? Thanks hyung! You’re the best hyung in the world! Thanks Best Friend!” he shouted happily, jumping up and down which almost caused him to fall. Luckily, I catch him. He hugged me tightly, because of the joy he felt. I hugged him back in response.

“Uhmm, Kibummie, maybe we should go now. My shift will start sooner. I don’t want to be shouted by my big fat manager because I’m late.” I chuckled. We both laughed hard. Then we walked down the hill, and headed to our houses. I quickly changed my clothes into my usual uniform. I worked as a waiter in a restaurant at the nearby town. My salary isn’t that big but it was ok. Everything in this job is fine including my boss. She’s very good and very nice to me. Yeah as I say, everything in this job is fine except for my boss’s husband, the manager of the restaurant. Every time I go to my work late, he always beats me. Something was wrong about him. Every single thing I does wrong, he always deducts it in my salary. But this time, I must work hard so that I can treat Kibummie to the amusement park.

And I was also planning to buy him new clothes. I feel very sad every time I saw him wearing old clothes with faded color and holes in it. I need to work hard. Sometimes, it crosses to my mind, ‘what if I get another new job so that I can save more money’. But it always gets me to the thing that, if I get another job, I will get no time for Kibum anymore.

I entered the restaurant after walking about 30 minutes. “Annyeong everyone!” I greeted them.

“Annyeong Jonghyun-ssi.” My lady boss called “You’re lucky, you’re not late today.” She continued

“Yes boss. I knew that. I must work hard this days.” I replied

“Oh. For what?” she asked giving me a smile.

“Well, for my Best Friend. He wanted to go to the amusement park, so I decided to treat him there next week. And also I wanted to buy him new clothes since his Birthday is near. I want to surprise him.” I said. I see her lips curl into a smile.

“I’m really touched about that. I know you’re a good friend. Don’t worry, you’ll make it!” she replied patting my back encouraging me. Yes, I can do it.

“Go, start your work.” She said

And as I started, a group of females, maybe in the age of mine entered the restaurant. They are dressed in fancy dresses and expensive jewelries. As they sat, I went to them and asked them what their orders are. “Annyeong. What are your orders ladies?” I greeted them

“Uhmm, can I have a deep fried butterfly salmon with white sweet and spicy sauce, a slice of egg pie for dessert and a glass of iced tea please.” The young lady with curly hair said. I jot down her order.

“Me too.” The other lady said, “Me too.” The next to her said, then another “Me too” then another then another.

“So, seven orders of deep fried butterfly salmon with white sweet and spicy sauce, a slice of egg pie and a glass of ice tea.” I said politely

“Uh-oh, can you please change the iced tea into cola for me please, Handsome Waiter.” The young lady with blonde hair said

“Ok.” I replied heading to the kitchen to tell their orders. But the thing on my mind is the thing that the blonde lady said. She called me ‘Handsome’. No one ever said that I’m handsome except for my Best Friend.

>>FLASHBACK<<

We both sat in the log in the hilltop. After that hectic night of work, this time is so refreshing. We both waited for the sun to shine.

“Hyung, I know you’re tired. Come, put your head in my shoulder so that you can rest.” He said smiling at me.

“Thank you Bummie.” I said putting my head to his shoulder. This position is so nice. I’m so happy whenever he’s with me. That means I’m happy every day.

“For what hyung?” he asked

“For being here for me. For being a real good Best Friend.” I replied smiling at him.

“That’s because you’re also here with me always. You’re here for my ups and downs. You’ve been always a good friend to me hyung.” He said. The sun now rose a little bit. The sounds of roosters can be heard. The sunlight strike into Kibum’s flawless face. I slowly put my hands into his face. I caressed his face. ‘So Flawless’ I thought.

“Yah! hyung, stop staring at me like that!” he said punching lightly in my left shoulder. I blushed lightly in the fact that I stared at him.

“You’re just so cute.” I said

“Haha! Hyung, don’t joke to me like that!” he replied punching again lightly.

“I’m just telling the truth. You’re the cutest thing that I’ve ever seen. Uh-oh, no. You’re the cutest thing that that I’ve ever and will ever see in my whole life.” I replied pinching his cheeks

“And you hyung, you’re the most handsome thing on Earth.” He said cheerfully

“Really?” I asked

“Yeah, of course hyung. You’re my best friend.” He said pinching my cheeks mimicking the thing I’ve done on him

“Thanks Kibum. You’re the only person that said that I’m handsome.” I said. My feelings rose. My emotions began to become really happy. No. Very happy. No. Super happy. Those words that came from his mouth are like diamonds that make my heart glisten.

“You’re always welcome hyung, as I’m always welcome to you.” He replied hugging me.

>>END OF FLASHBACK<<

“Jonghyun, give now their orders.” The cook said. I snapped to reality. “Huh? Ah-Ok.” I replied, getting the tray of their orders. I must work hard. Kibum’s Birthday is coming.

 

~~to be continued~~

...

Hi guys~ 4ever_Locket here!! Do you enjoyed the first chapter? I hope so. I must work hard for the next chapter ^-