Chapter 4

The Forbidden City


Spring time, 637. The Palace of Goryeo.

Z i Tao was discussing alliance tactics with the War Minister of Silla when Jia Heng interrupted their conversation. Zi Tao looks on anxiously, wondering if Luhan sent Jia Heng to trigger the plan they’d discussed earlier. With the look on Jia Heng’s face, Zi Tao figured it was. He excuses himself from the conversation with the War Minister and approaches Jia Heng.

“What can I do for you, ge?” Zi Tao asks, observing the deep frown engrained into Jia Heng’s face. Jia Heng looks over at the War Minister who takes the hint and excuses himself from the room, allowing the two brothers to talk privately.

“Luhan-ge wants me to pick up a package for him. He said you would have it.” Jia Heng says and Zi Tao nods, gesturing over to the other side where a small clay pot of brown liquid lay. Jia Heng was taken aback by the bitter smell of it as he poured it into the small bowl placed upon a tray sitting beside it.

“Luhan-ge instructed me to take care of the body later, so bring it back to the back chamber.” Zi Tao says and Jia Heng’s eyes widen in surprise. Zi Tao works hard to control his own expression as not to give anything away to Jia Heng.

“You mean to say…” Jia Heng says trailing off and Zi Tao nods.

“Poison.” Zi Tao says. Jia Heng’s hands start to shake as he picks up the tray. He nods once to Zi Tao as he leaves the room and the War Minister enters the room once again. Zi Tao’s mind, however, is no longer on the subjects of war, but rather the plan his sister had concocted. Soon afterwards, Zi Tao excuses himself for the day and leaves the War Minister to his own affairs.

He travels into the backroom where the body lay on a soft bed, Jia Heng kneeling by her side, feeling guilt and remorse over what had happened. Zi Tao clears his throat and Jia Heng jumps in surprise. Zi Tao is shocked to see tears glistening on Jia Heng’s eyes as he wipes them away coarsely.

“I will leave you to your work.” Jia Heng says and composes himself before going out to resume his position in the concubine selection process. Zi Tao approaches the girl once he’s sure Jia Heng is gone and sees what body he had left behind.

In the hands of the girl, a spice bag was enclosed in her clutches and Zi Tao shakes his head in sadness. Oh Jia Heng, you are setting yourself up for so much hurt. He clears the hair from the girl’s face and gasps in surprise. Her beauty far exceeded his expectations and Zi Tao feels his heart race slightly faster.

Zi Tao curses himself for being so easily excitable; after all, this was just another girl. Perhaps he had been involved in the affairs of which men dominated too long and the scent of a female was simply shocking his system. Either way, he needed to relax to be able to carry on.

“Breathe, Hwang Zi Tao.” He says to himself before taking a vial from his sleeves and mixing it with a cup of water sitting on the desk. He slowly brings the girl to a sitting form and pours the drink down , coaxing it through her system. The girl coughs and splutters to life, gasping as if waking up from a nightmare.

Hwang Mi Young feels herself being held up by a man beside her. She was in a small but well-furnished room that she had never seen before. The interior design alerted her that she was within the castle walls, but where exactly she had no idea.

“Where am I? Who are you?” She asks, surprised at her raspy voice. It sounded like she’d gone to hell and back. Well, in a way, she quite literally did.

“You’re in the Imperial palace; I am Prince Huang Zi Tao of China.” Zi Tao answers her and her eyes widen as she struggles to stand to bow before him in respect. While her intentions are good, the sudden movement brings a new wave of nausea to her and instead, she collapses back into his arms.

“You might not want to move so much, it’ll take another few hours for the slow poison to be counteracted by the antidote.” Zi Tao says to her and she leans back onto the cushions of the bed, heeding his warning.

“Your majesty, why am I here?” Mi Young asks, her eyebrows furrowing. The last thing she remembered, she’d taken a bowl of bitter liquid that made her pass out almost immediately. The bile rises in as shudders from the metallic taste of blood left in .

“Our Emperor is not as bad as you think he is.” Zi Tao answers simply and Mi Young looks up at him in confusion. Zi Tao stands before her and grabs a letter with an Emperor seal. Thirty-thousand pieces of silver were to be delivered to her house accompanied with a letter saying that she was dead. Mi Young’s blood runs cold. Thirty-thousand was the price of her life. She had been bought with thirty-thousand pieces of silver.

“No… he couldn’t have. They couldn’t have. How could they?” Mi Young whispers to herself. It was clear this message had been written some time ago, her father must’ve made this deal with the Emperor himself. He, the Minister of Justice had done something so disgraceful and dishonest.

“You must understand, your father… he was in a bad position. This thirty-thousand will guarantee his safety and his career here in Silla.” Zi Tao says hesitantly and Mi Young shakes her head, covering her ears, refusing to hear his words. Thirty-thousand was the price she had to pay for her father’s job. Thirty-thousand… thirty-thousand… thirty-thousand was the number above her head.

“In addition to this, the Emperor also promised to grant you one wish, anything you’d like. In fact, you are free to return to your family, the Emperor will have your name reinstated as you wish.” Zi Tao consoles the fair maiden that was breaking down before his eyes. To his surprise, Mi Young shakes her head and sets her lips into a thin line.

“No. If they have sold me, I will not return to them.” Mi Young says bitterly. Zi Tao nods his head, approving her answer. To be honest, Zi Tao would do the same in her position.

“Take me to the palace.” Mi Young begs Zi Tao and he freezes. “I cannot return home. Take me to the palace where I can at least accompany my friend. Even if I cannot be a concubine, I can still serve as a hand maid.” She says closing her eyes painfully and Zi Tao is stuck between a wall and a hard place. If he were to grant this request, there was a possibility that Jia Heng would find out she’s alive and their plan would fail.

“Could you not move to a nice place in the country, get settled and then get married? We can arrange a marriage for you here in the palace to a family of nobility.” Zi Tao says trying to convince to Mi Young but her jaw is set in place and she won’t budge in her request.

“Please.” Mi Young says looking up at Zi Tao, eyes shining with tears, “I have nowhere left to go in this world.” She says and Zi Tao feels his heart soften at the desperation in her voice. Zi Tao squeezes his eyes shut knowing that he will regret this decision.

“Fine.” He says in a strangled whisper and Mi Young sheds tears of gratitude as she tries to bow before him and thank him. “Rest now.” Zi Tao says, “You’ll need it for the journey to come.” Zi Tao knows the blow back that will come from this decision but that damned Luhan should’ve known what he was getting into.

“I will be sending my brother Yi Xing to make arrangements for you in the palace. You’re going to have to be kept as far away from the Revitalization palace as possible.” Zi Tao mutters to her and she nods. Zi Tao stands up and leaves the chamber, locking the door behind him. The last thing he needed was to have some servant whispering about a dead concubine coming back to life.

Mi Young sighs and collapses into her bed, shutting her eyes firmly. So much had happened within the course of 24 hours that it sent her head whirring.

The Palace Courtyard. Imperial Palace, China.

“If anyone sees us, surely we’ll lose our heads.” Sunyoung says in a hushed whisper, sitting on the bench with her beloved Jinki. She rests her head on his comforting broad shoulder and entwines her fingers with his.

“Relax, who’ll find out?” Jinki coos to her, her back in an attempt to dispel her fears and anxieties. Sunyoung smiles against his chest and sighs deeply in happiness, looking out at the moon reflecting off the carp pond in the palace courtyard.

“You’re the only source of comfort I have in this cold palace.” Sunyoung murmurs, closing her eyes and she feels Jinki press his lips to the top of her forehead. It was scandalous for a concubine to be involved with a eunuch and Sunyoung knew if they were caught, they would die.

Yet, this was also her only bliss in the palace and she wanted to make the best of it while she could. It was only a matter of time before their unraveling. She feared her own descent into the fury of the Emperor, or worse, the Crown Princess.

Little did she know, she would soon be jarred from her fantasy and be trapped in a hellish nightmare for the rest of her waking days. A pair of feet pad away from the couple softly and run to report her findings to her master.

The Palace of Goryeo.

Luhan sits and dines with his consort on his left and the King of Silla on his right. Not far from the King was Jia Heng who had not yet forgiven Luhan for what he perceived to be murder. The King, if he felt the tension between the brothers, did not show it on his face.

“My, you must have many beauties in China, I’m afraid our women will seem dull in comparison.” Kim Jaejoong says, clearly looking for Joon Myun’s reaction. Not to disappoint, Joon Myun grimaces and Jaejoong sits back with a satisfied smirk on his face.

“Well, out of your women, we did choose the best. Our Emperor has fine taste after all.” Qian says jovially to dispel the growing resentment she was receiving from Joon Myun. She watches a flicker of irritation cross Jaejoong’s face and she raises an elegant brow at his behaviour.

“These are our finest dancers; we wanted to show you the best after all.” Jia Heng says diplomatically, settling some of the unspoken thoughts from around the room. Joon Myun observes the dynamic between the rulers of China. Although Luhan was the proclaimed Emperor, it was clear he did not do much to deserve the title. Through the entire night, Luhan had not  uttered a single word unless absolutely necessary.

“If we are to speak of dancers, we cannot forget our Empress. She is the finest dancer of them all.” Yoona pipes up, smiling from beside Zi Tao’s side. Qian smiles back politely and Yoona knows that Qian cannot escape the next request.

“Well then Empress, if you do not mind, would you show us some of your rumoured dancing ability?” Jaejoong asks shamelessly and Qian bows courteously. She loathes the trap imposed upon her by Yoona. How dare Yoona reduce Qian to a level of a dancer, a job meant for a concubine? Qian looks at Luhan anxiously and prepares to excuse herself when she hears Jia Heng speak kindly on her behalf.

“The Empress has been weak lately from the weather and the arduous journey. If it pleases your majesty, she will perform again when she is of better health.” Jia Heng says and Qian thanks him silently. Of those in the palace, Jia Heng was the one who cared most for her wellbeing.

“Of course, we must not harm the body of the mother of the China. It looks like the Empress’ dance will not be unveiled to us today.” Jaejoong comments lightly and Qian bows deeply, sitting down in her chair. Qian takes this opportunity to shoot Yoona a triumphant look to which Yoona returns with a scowl.

Yoona looks over at Jia Heng who knits his brows together, chastising her silently for her childish behaviour. Yoona sighs and sits back in her seat, waving her handmaid over to pour more wine for her. Yoona downs it quickly and the maid fills up her cup again.

“The Crown princess is a heavy drinker; it’s good to find women who can hold their weight.” Joon Myun comments with a raised eyebrow.

“Ah, not really, just the occasional glass.” Yoona replies wryly, not pleased with this man before her. Joon Myun notices that he’s stricken a nerve with the Crown Princess and feels satisfied. Joon Myun had to release some of the antagonistic feelings he’d built up through her incessant comments towards the women of Goryeo.

“How are the disputes along the Northwestern Front coming along?” Joon Myun asks, watching Yoona tip back yet another glass. White wine was quite strong, Joon Myun had to feel a little impressed at her tolerance level.

“I have visted many times and it seems that we may be able to strike a deal without engaging in war.” Yi Xing replies to Joon Myun. Yi Xing could tell that Joon Myun was dissatisfied with not being regarded highly by his siblings.

Joon Myun had not once been spoken to by Jia Heng, Luhan or Qian and when he asked a question, it was often replied to by someone of lesser status. Yi Xing saw Joon Myun's resentment towards and that Yi Xing was treading on delicate ground when speaking with the ex-ruler of Goryeo.

“I expect that no bond would be stronger than that of marriage though.” Jaejoong suggests and Luhan eyes him carefully. Luhan read Jaejoong’s intent very clearly. From the time they’d arrived, he’d caught Jaejoong sneaking glances at Yoona on numerous occasions, only to be rebuked by her cold and harsh stare.

“We have but one princess and many nations to settle disputes with; each settlement cannot end with marriage. Not many share nations bonds with us as strong as yours does.” Yi Xing says, reading the calculating expression on Luhan’s face and he decides he should settle the matter quickly.

“Of course, it is very beneficial to both our countries to share such strong feelings of commensalism; I was merely suggesting that a bond of matrimony would tie us together even more.” Jaejoong says shrugging and Joon Myun looks at him warily. Jia Heng feels outraged that the King is so bold to make such a request.

“With all due respect, I would disagree.” Zi Tao speaks up, “Our countries have been brought together through war. This common bloodshed and the feeling of our soldiers fighting together side by side will be much stronger than a flimsy marriage. I would not so easily write off the friendships formed between our brothers in battle for that would be respect to an upmost degree. You are not trying to insult our emperor, are you?” Zi Tao asks pointedly.

“I agree, the brotherhood of war is not a relationship so easily tampered with.” Minister Baek, the War Minister says and Jaejoong is forced to retreat quickly.

“I would dare not attempt down such a treacherous path.” Jaejoong says, temporarily defeated. He would not, however, give up on the matter. He would simply find a better time to bring it up again. He looks at Yoona and smirks to himself. I will make you mine.

“Now please, tell us about this dish you have prepared here in front of us.” Jia Heng says to Jaejoong who nods and launches into his prepared speech on Korean delicacies. The topic is not dropped from their minds however, simply pushed back to a different part of their subconscious.

The White Lily Palace. Six Palaces of the Harem, Imperial Palace, China.

It was the first time Sooyoung was seeing the palace she was assigned to. It had been a long journey from her home to this foreign country where everything was different. She had not found a familiar face in this unfamiliar setting and the loneliness kicked in. She reads the name placard above her palace entrance. The White Lily Palace.

Sooyoung snorts at the uncanny name of her palace. How befitting. She thinks to herself dryly. Lilies normally represented the triumph over death but how could Sooyoung celebrate her own triumph when her friend had to take the downfall?

Sooyoung watches as her handmaids unpack her things as she walks into her own palace. She was lucky in the sense that she did not have to share with others yet for the same reason she felt absolutely miserable. She sits down in one of the chairs and finds an army of servants at her disposal.

“Who are all of you?” She asks wearily, looking at the eunuchs and handmaidens bowing in front of her. One of the eunuchs she assumes is the leader steps out and bows right in front of her.

“Young Miss, we are your personal servants sent by Internal Affairs of the palace.” The eunuch announces, and she allows him to stand.

“What is your name?” She asks him.

“I am Kim Ryeowook.” He replies and Sooyoung forces a smile onto her lips. She holds out a bag of silver pieces and gives it to him.

“A Korean name?” Sooyoung asks and Ryeowook nods.

“Internal Affairs thought it would be more comfortable to you if you were with someone who was like you.” He clarifies and Sooyoung nods, silently appreciating the effort.

“As long as all of you work hard and remain loyal to me, I promise I will bring you all along well.” Sooyoung says to all of them and Kim Ryeowook kneels, his head to the floor in thanks.

“Thank you for your grace, Miss.” Kim Ryeowook says and the rest of the servants follow in his motion and echo his words. Sooyoung dismisses their comments with a wave of her hand.

“You are all dismissed.” Sooyoung says and they bow to her. Finally Sooyoung was met with a constricting silence that choked the entirety of her being. She decides that she’s had enough sitting around for one day and walks outside to the courtyard where a few handmaidens were sweeping.

Sooyoung observes a blossoming flower on one of the trees, looking at the fragility of the petals. She felt as if she touched the petals, they would quickly disintegrate. “You’re very lucky Young Miss.” One of the handmaidens tells her and she looks at her in surprise. Lucky was just the opposite of what Sooyoung felt.

“Oh? And why would you say that?” Sooyoung asks and the handmaiden puts down her broom to snap the flower from the tree. She adorns the flower upon Sooyoung’s headdress and Sooyoung observes the handmaiden’s actions. This act of endearment often bestowed upon her by her friends felt foreign and strange coming from this maiden that worked in the palace.

“Well you see even though the White Lily Palace is one of the farthest palaces from the Revitalisation Palace where the Emperor lives, it is by far the most beautiful and well-furnished of the others. That is, if you discount the Jade Palace of course.” The handmaiden says and Sooyoung turns her attention to her.

“You see, this palace has a courtyard and small pond in the back, it is close to the garden and is the coolest in the summer. It is also the quietest.” The handmaiden boasts and her confidence evokes a chuckle from Sooyoung’s firm lips.

“What is your name?” Sooyoung asks. The handmaiden reminded her so much of Mi Young, the way she was so carefree and always smiling. The thought of Mi Young brought another painful twang to Sooyoung’s heart as she thought of her friend being buried beneath six feet of cold hard ground.

“I am Lee Soonkyu.” The girl says smiling jovially, bowing before Sooyoung. Sooyoung smiles at her kindly. Sooyoung felt attachment towards the cheerful girl. Whether it was for her positive attitude or her resemblance to Mi Young, Sooyoung didn’t know and quite frankly, she didn’t care either.

The Jade Palace. Six Palaces.

Yoona sits in her Jade palace with her closest confidante, Soojung. She had just finished filling her in on the details of the eventful trip, telling her to keep a cautious eye out for Choi Sooyoung, the girl with the sharp tongue. Being back also meant that Yoona had more schemes hidden up her delicate silk sleeves.

“I think it’s time to even the odds a little bit with the Empress, don’t you think?” Yoona asks the concubine with a deadly smirk on her face.

“What do you have in mind, your highness?” Soojung asks.

“I have a little plan I’d like to propose.” Yoona says, gesturing for the two of them to come in closer. Soojung’s eyes widen upon hearing her plan.

"Jinri did report back that one of her handmaids caught them in the act." Soojung says.

"Yes, Jinri told me as soon as we arrived." Yoona says. 

“And what if we’re caught?” Soojung asks and Yoona sighs.

“Don’t worry; I’ll take care of it. Do you think you’re up to the task?” Yoona asks and Soojung nods gravely. Yoona sits back with a haughty expression upon her face. Jia Heng’s arrival is declared and Soojung excuses herself from the room.

“What you did, Im Yoona, was completely out of line.” Jia Heng warns the unfaltering Crown Princess in a low tone. Yoona looks up at Jia Heng coyly.

“You’ll have to remind me Jia Heng, what did I do now?” Yoona drawls in her warm alto voice and Jia Heng grimaces.

“You know exactly what I’m talking about, don’t pretend. Luhan wouldn’t have been so bold to kill a concubine in her own country, only someone like you could convince him of such a course of action.” Jia Heng growls at Yoona and she flinches slightly.

“I simply did what was in our both our best interests.” Yoona says, observing one of her perfectly manicured nails. She didn’t want to risk looking up into Jia Heng’s eyes in fear of breaking her condescending stature.

“What makes you think that you can? Before he is your brother, he is your Emperor!” Jia Heng yells at Yoona which makes her wince slightly but she recovers quickly.

“What makes me think that I can? To me, he is my brother before he is my Emperor. You and I know plain well why you shouldn’t have involved him with those concubines. This was his guarantee that you would never force him to open the hurt again.” Yoona says levelly. This time, the words were spoken straight from her heart. While she cared about advancing her power, she did also care for her brother’s wellbeing.

“Could he not bear it for one day for the peace between two countries or is he so stubbornly lost in his own grief? That incident occurred years ago and at least he came out of it alive. I can't say the same for others involved. He should take this second chance and live out his duty.” Jia Heng argues, head pounding in frustration. He also felt for his brother’s pains, but the entire weight of a nation sat on his shoulders, he couldn’t simply shirk the duty.

“He wouldn’t even be here if weren’t for me, or have you forgotten?” Yoona shrieks and Jia Heng falls silent. He couldn’t argue with that. “And I’m sure you weren’t expecting that Choi Sooyoung girl to look so much like HER, were you?” Jia Heng bites his lip.

“At least Choi Sooyoung is acceptable if Luhan decides to get involved. SHE was a commoner.” Jia Heng says quietly.

“Don’t you think that all people are entitled to true love? Even us?” Yoona asks, a tear rolling down her cheek as she feels the old emotions resurfacing once again. “She was my best friend.”

“No, Yoona, we were given power and duty. The day we accepted that was the day we revoked our right to love freely.” Jia Heng says gravely and Yoona turns her head away, refusing to look at him. “She was my friend too you know.” Jia Heng says quietly, they sit in silence for a while, Yoona lost in her thoughts. When she finally gathered herself to turn and look at Jia Heng, he was already gone. Gone like too many other things in her life.