Chapter 1

The Forbidden City

 

Spring time, 637. The Emperor's Reading Chamber.

L

uhan sits upon his chair, one leg propped up against the table and the other crossed underneath him. He holds a thick book in his hand on the principles of war and flips through the pages reading diligently. It was night time and the cool breeze from the open door blew in, rustling the pages on the rich mahogany table.

“Your majesty, please flip the cards.” A eunuch asks Luhan and Luhan looks up from the book he was reading, repulsed by his request.

“No.” came Luhan’s simple reply and the eunuch shuffles closer, bowing at Luhan’s feet holding the tray of concubines’ names on it.

“Please, flip a card.” The eunuch pleads again, this time, coming even closer to Luhan, pushing the tray up against the spine of Luhan’s book. Luhan slams his book down in annoyance and turns to face the eunuch.

“Did you not hear me the first time, or did you not understand? I said no.” Luhan replies shortly and resumes reading his book. The eunuch unfazed tries again.

“Please, think of your humble servant. If you do not visit the back palace, surely the Empress will have my head. You have not spent one night at the back palace, please flip a card.” The eunuch begs Luhan to no avail.

“How audacious of you to ask this of me once I have told you my response. Have you no control over your tongue?” Luhan berates, “You speak too much. Guards, take him away, 10 .” Luhan yells hitting the eunuch on the head with a book.

“Please have mercy your majesty, forgive me! Please have mercy! Your majesty! Please! No! Forgive me!” The eunuch pleads and begs as the guards drag him out of Luhan’s reading chamber. A messenger enters, successfully avoiding the fray and bows before Luhan.

“Your majesty, the Imperial Advisor, your brother, requests an audience with you.” The messenger declares. Luhan looks up from the fascinating details of his book on politics and ponders upon granting Jia Heng a presence. He sighs and caves, returning to the pages recalling the various tributaries of China.

“Send him in.” He says, waving a hand, bored. “The rest of you leave.” Luhan says to his guards. Jia Heng allows a moment of silence after the guards have left before speaking. Within the palace, the walls had ears and mouths. The gossip amongst the concubines was already unbearable, he didn’t need to add fuel to the fire.

“Do you not think you were too harsh on him brother? He was, after all, doing his job.” Jia Heng says, referring to the spectacle he’d witnessed with the eunuch.

“He is my servant; I deem what happens to him. I think you are stepping out of line Advisor Li, criticizing me on my actions on handling disobedient servants.” Luhan says glaring at Jia Heng and Jia Heng bows before Luhan. Jia Heng misjudged Luhan’s state at that moment. Right now, Luhan wasn’t his brother, Luhan was his emperor.

“Of course your majesty, I was simply suggesting that you should not get angry and ruin your body for commoners such as him. Please forgive my rude speech and have mercy.” Jia Heng replies, not looking up to meet Luhan’s eyes.

“Since you have made such a good argument for yourself, I will let it slide.” Luhan says, “Now tell me dear brother, what event has occurred that graces me with your presence tonight? Two visits in one day is almost a record.” Luhan says dryly, clearly not forgiving Jia Heng for the ridiculous request he’d made earlier in the day.

“My liege, is it so wrong for a brother to want to visit his own family member without being questioned?” Jia Heng replies satirically and Luhan almost snorts at his comment. What a family they had. It was not the warmth and kinship you would expect, rather a mess of individuals struggling against each other. 吃里爬外. To take down your own in order to succeed, that’s what it was.

“Not at all Jia Heng, I was just pleasantly surprised that you hadn’t stopped giving up on trying to involve me in state affairs.” Luhan says, bringing Jia Heng up from his knees.

“Of course, it is your duty after all to look after our country.” Jia Heng replies in this bout of banter, “The officials are questioning your ability to run this country and your ability to rule. They are concerned that you refuse to create offspring to inherit the throne.”

“Let them question it.” Luhan says nonchalantly.

“Your majesty.” Jia Heng pleads and Luhan holds up a hand. Jia Heng slumps in defeat and Luhan sighs in disapproval.

“I do not care for the acceptance of the officials. As long as they have your acceptance, all is well. I will be returning to the Revitalization Palace, please, do take care, dear brother.” Luhan says standing up leaving Jia Heng gaping.

“Your majesty!” Jia Heng calls after Luhan and he hears the messenger call out, “The Emperor departs!” Jia Heng sighs at his brother’s cantankerous nature. How could he be so stubborn as to realize that refusing to attend gave so many other officials so much more power? Officials that didn’t deserve to have this power that he carelessly threw away.

Jia Heng knew no begging or pleading would make Luhan see the good in appearing before the King of Silla. He would have to resort to other tactics and he had just the right one in mind.

 

The Palace Courtyard.

“If anyone finds out, you and I will both be killed, do you hear me?” Huang Zi Tao says in a hushed whisper to one of his eunuchs. From a distance, it looked simply like the esteemed general was lecturing his solider on the strategies of war but their conversation was much deadlier.

“Forgive me brother, but I could not stand idly as they proceeded to marry me off to some distant man.” Yi Yun replies, eyes moist with tears. She thought she could find refuge with her brother, that her brother would support her in this decision. Her father wanted to get rid of her, knowing that she was not to exist in this world.

Her mother was one of the concubines loved by the late Emperor; she entered into the palace a year after she had Yi Yun. Married women are not to enter the palace, yet she defied the law and entered a year after she had Yi Yun. Yi Yun’s father was angry and he channelled his anger onto Yi Yun’s existence. Zi Tao was her half-brother, same mother, different father.

“Jie jie, if they know about you. They cannot know about you and I cannot protect you if they find out.” Zi Tao reasons, sighing discontentedly at her. “I cannot help you, I’m sorry.”

“If mother were still in this world, she would support my decision.” Yi Yun says confidently and Zi Tao clenches his fists tightly.

“What would you know of what mother wanted?” Zi Tao hisses. “She is not in the world anymore, therefore this decision is not hers to support.”

“How dare you speak so disrespectfully of our mother?” Yi Yun reproaches, eyes flashing with anger, “Or have you forgotten you were the cause of her end?” Yi Yun challenges, only to be met with a ferocious slap from Zi Tao’s palm. Yi Yun refuses to let tears escape her eyes and meets Zi Tao’s gaze levelly, a deep red handprint left on the side of her face. Zi Tao sees her face and his gaze softens.

“Please, jie jie, there are better ways. Can you not work in the palace as a servant to one of the concubines?” Zi Tao begs and Yi Yun shakes her head.

“Father will be launching an investigation. He must know that I came to find you here and will be searching through the maids. He would not think to know that I, a woman, am working as a eunuch.” Yi Yun replies and Zi Tao cannot argue her logic.

“If you truly want to stay, I cannot help you. You will have to survive based on your own wits and strength, are you sure you want to go through with this?” Zi Tao asks Yi Yun and she nods.

“Then never again call me brother.” Zi Tao says, turning around and he strides away, leaving Yi Yun with a silent tear from the pain of being severed from her brother, her only family in this world, and the relief that he would turn a blind eye to this.

“Thank you Zi Tao.” She whispers after him and she dons her eunuch’s cap hurrying to her assigned position. She breathes a sigh and she knows that she has to be careful because if she does get caught, no matter how much Zi Tao refused to help her outwardly, she knew he would take the fall for her if it came to be.

 

A Small Dwelling in Goryeo.

“Sohee-ah, put on the red one.” Minseok tells his sister and her servant moves to grab the finely embroidered cloth stored away from moths and other vermin. Sohee grabs the robe delicately and drapes them across her shoulders for her brother to see and Minseok cracks a smile.

“How do I look?” Sohee asks, modelling modestly. She turns in a few circles to see her own reflection in the mirror, admiring the way the light caught on the silver threads woven into the fabric. These were the latest style drapes, given to them by the King of Goryeo when Minseok fought so bravely in the war. He was, after all, the King’s favourite general.

“Elegant yet seductive, just the way the King of Silla likes it.” Minseok replies and Sohee smiles coyly.

“Most gracious and enlightened sage, it is an honour for me to be present before you and to bask in your glorious ambience.” Sohee says, bowing deeply to the point where her elbows touch the floor, “I am Sohee, daughter of the late War Minister, sister to General Kim Minseok.”

“Now, when the King asks what books you’ve read, what do you say?” Minseok asks Sohee.

“I have read the Art of War, Great Learning, the Doctrine of Mean, Analects and Mencius.” Sohee replies, head bowed low and Minseok tuts softly.

“Those works are too heavy for a woman to have read, instead, respond with Classic of Poetry, Classic of Changes and Spring and Autumn Annals.” Minseok replies.

“Yes brother.” Sohee answers and she rises from her bowing position. Minseok smiles at her and she smirks, ready to enter the palace. Her maids fix her headdress one more time before she stands, ready.

“Master, the carriage is here to take young miss to the palace.” Jongdae reports and Minseok nods once at Sohee who follows Jongdae.

“I will await your good news.” Minseok says to Sohee’s figure retreating into the carriage.

“I will not disappoint.” She responds and her carriage takes off en route to the palace. After waiting so many years, Sohee was finally entering the palace and she was determined to become the Empress Dowager.

 

The Jade Palace.

“The Empress, will she be attending as well?” Yoona asks Jia Heng and he bows, nodding. He winces at the hateful expression that had quickly taken over the joyous expression on her face.

“Please, think of this not as an opportunity to fight with the Empress, instead, think of it as an opportunity to please the Emperor. You are, after all, the little sister Luhan dotes on. I’m sure if you put in a word, maybe a few warnings, he would be happy to assist.” Jia Heng pleads Yoona and she looks at him with a calculating expression.

“Why, if my dear brother asks of it, how dare I to refuse?” Yoona says, smirking and Jia Heng breathes a sigh of relief. “I am tired now, I take my leave. Have a good evening brother.” She says, bowing deeply before walking out. Jia Heng resists the urge to snort at her answer, he knew that Yoona had her own agenda, but as long as her fight for power did not interfere with stately matters, Jia Heng decided this time, he would let it slide.

Yoona returns to her chamber and finds Jinri and Soojung waiting there for her. They move to bow to her but Yoona simply holds up a hand and they sit back down. Yoona waves her hand and a servant brings her a cup of tea. Jinri and Soojung wait for Yoona’s news eagerly as they sit back.

“They’re bringing concubines from Goryeo and Baekje, the Emperor wants me to accompany him to the choosing.” Yoona announces to the two who soak up her words as if they were fresh tea. Jinri and Soojung look at each other in wonder.

“Will they be here in the back palace then?” Jinri asks, speaking for the concerns of all the concubines and Yoona nods, making a sound of disapproval.

“Be prepared, with the new concubines, there is surely a chance that our positions will be threatened and we will have to make room for concubines who want to climb their way to the top.” Yoona says, dabbing her lips, setting down her tea cup.

“Would they not have to catch the eye of the ever elusive Emperor first?” Soojung asks, handing Yoona a freshly peeled lychee of which Yoona ignores.

“My dear brother has been lonely for too long. If he agrees to such an occasion, we must all be careful. The intoxicating scent of new women in the palace will be hard for him to ignore, no matter how adverse he is to concubines. From drought, one’s thirst is awakened and their heart is weakened.” Yoona replies, patting her hair in place.

“We understand.” Soojung and Jinri say, bowing before Yoona. Yoona waves for them to stand up and she prepares for them to leave her.

“The night is high; you two best return to your own palaces, it is time for me to take my rest.” Yoona says dismissing the two and they bow to her.

“May great fortune and wealth come upon your majesty.” They say, backing out of Yoona’s presence and then turning to return to their own palace chambers. Yoona waits until they are out of sight and then goes to the Revitalization Palace to find her wonderful brother.

 

A Village in Silla.

“Sooyoung-ah, you don’t have to do this.” Her aunt says to her and Siwon nods in assent. Sooyoung sighs, “Ajhumma, you don’t have to worry, I’ll be fine. I will bring great honour to our family.” As if their family needed any more honour, they didn’t see what Sooyoung was doing as an act of honour.

“Well, if you’re so set on leaving us, at least come out and let us see you.” Her aunt says and Sooyoung emerges from behind the folding screen, and her aunt and Siwon gasp. Her long black hair was combed to shining perfection with the hair oil. The light green coloured robes were draped across her skinny arms and accented her slight figure. Small jade and silver bangles hung from her wrists and her shoes were ornamented in small jewels.

Sooyoung gracefully bows before her cousin and her aunt and they smiled at her. “You look beyond beautiful.” Siwon says to her and she smiles up at him.

“Ajhumma, where did you get these shoes?” Sooyoung asks, admiring the design and material, “This silk is much too expensive to be wasted on something so coarse.” Sooyoung says and her aunt shakes her head.

“These were my shoes from my marriage to your uncle, they brought me happiness and fortune, I believe they are very auspicious and will guarantee your safety in the palace.” Her aunt says, eyes shining with tears. Sooyoung bows before her aunt, “I cannot dare accept these shoes, ajhumma. They belong to you.”

“Oh nonsense, I have no use for them, take them with you to the palace. You will have more use for them than I.” Her aunt replies and Sooyoung feels tears prick her eyes.

“Thank you.” She says with deep and sincere gratitude. Siwon brings her up from her bowing position on the ground. She looks at him with tears threatening to spill down her cheeks and ruin her makeup that the maids so carefully did and pulls him into a long hug.

“It’s okay, shh, it’s okay.” Siwon comforts Sooyoung, patting her on the back soothingly. She cries silently into his shoulder, her frail body shuddering with each gasp and sob. For the first time since she’d made her decision, Sooyoung felt regret. It was too late though, her name had already been submitted and she was to report to the palace within the next 24 hours.

The maids run over to fix Sooyoung’s makeup which had been smudged into Siwon’s shirt after her breakdown. The carriage arrives to take her to the palace and Sooyoung takes a deep breath and she steps into it. She takes one look at her family clutching onto each other in support and she wills herself not to cry.

“Madam, please sit back, master will be mad at me if your makeup is ruined again.” The maid accompanying her coos to console her. Sooyoung nods silently and sits back, closing her eyes to shut out the images of leaving her family and her home.

 

Tian An Men.

“Yi Xing-ge!” Zi Tao yells towards a man striding into the palace. Yi Xing’s clothes were arranged perfectly and he was dressed in his official garb. Zi Tao runs and bows before him in greeting and Yi Xing raises him from his kneeling position.

“Zi Tao di di, how have you been?” Yi Xing asks, happy to see his little brother again. Zi Tao stands and walks alongside Yi Xing to the gates of the upper palace.

“Ah, well, things just aren’t the same without you here Yi Xing-ge. Jia Heng and Luhan had a disagreement and I’m not much of a peacemaker so Jia Heng called on Yoona-jie.” Zi Tao says, chuckling slightly. Zi Tao was the war official and although he had a strong relationship with both Jia Heng and Luhan, he wasn’t too great at resolving their differences.

“Hmm, Yoona-jie can really sweet talk her way into anything, can’t she? That wasn’t too fair of Jia Heng. Is she still childishly fighting with the Empress on power over the back palace?” Yi Xing asks and Zi Tao nods. Yi Xing sighs but isn’t surprised. He swore his sister’s ambition would be the cause to her tragic end.

“Now that you’re back, you can resume your duties running the palace. Yoona won’t have to anymore.” Zi Tao says and Yi Xing nods. Yi Xing had been gone for about a month’s time on his ambassador trip to Japan. They’d negotiated the new terms of the tribute, naturally, Yi Xing’s negotiation skills came out on top.

“Well, I ought to pay my respects to our dear brother the Emperor. Farewell Zi Tao.” Yi Xing says stopping in front of the palace door and Zi Tao bows to him.

“I will be leaving now.” Zi Tao says backing away slowly and walking in a different direction from the entrance. He sees Yi Yun hurrying in after Yi Xing and looks after her curiously. Perhaps she was serving one of the officials currently in the palace. Zi Tao decides not to venture further and continues on his way.