Chapter 2

The Forbidden City

Spring time, 637. In Distant Countryside.

T

he carriage rolls into motion once again and Luhan jerks backwards in surprise, conveniently hitting his head on the back end of the carriage. Luhan sighs as his brother Zi Tao laughs at him. Luhan reaches over to smack him on the back of the head and smirks when his brother yelps in protest.

“What was that for?” Zi Tao asks, narrowing his eyes at his brother in discontent but Luhan just laughs, placing down another piece in their game of wei qi. Luhan smiles at his face value victory but Zi Tao smirks as Luhan falls right into his trap. Luhan realizes his mistake too late and is thrown into a fit of rage as Zi Tao places down a piece that undoes his attack.

Seeing the smirk on Zi Tao’s face, Luhan reaches over and smacks Zi Tao on the back of the head again. Zi Tao rubs his head in protest and grimaces at Luhan’s silent victory. They continue playing until it is clear that Luhan has lost again. Although Luhan is much better than Jia Heng, he will never match up to that of the skills of the experienced War Minister, Huang Zi Tao.

“Yi Xing-di just returned to the palace and yet he’s accompanying us on this expedition. He will be greatly rewarded once we return home.” Luhan says, sitting back in his seat as Zi Tao tallies up the territories.

“Yi Xing-ge works tirelessly for your boundless grace, he should be well rewarded.” Zi Tao half-heartedly agrees, still absorbed in his personal victory against his older brother. In this world, there were two things Zi Tao believed he was better at than his brother; wei qi and sparring. He felt he could not match up to any of Luhan’s other abilities.

“What is to say, perhaps we find him a bride. He is much too lonely on his solo expenditures bringing peace to the south eastern states.” Luhan says, waiting for Zi Tao’s reaction. Zi Tao looks up quizzically, trying to read the intent behind the mischievous look on Luhan’s face.

“Brother, I’m not sure I understand.” Zi Tao says uncertainly and Luhan reaches over to pat him once on the head. “It is a hard job and requires much effort, we have not found him a worthy bride and there have been no talk of preparations.” Zi Tao argues and Luhan crosses his arms over his chest.

“Peace, Zi Tao. It is consoling to hear you fend for Yi Xing’s best interests, I'm surprised there are still true feelings of loyalty within our courrupted palace." Luhan says grimly, "Fear not though, Zi Tao, I would not marry off Yi Xing before I found a suitable candidate for the elder.” Luhan says and Zi Tao falls silent. The two of them know the implications of that statement and Luhan sighs.

“I truly believe that father had the best intentions in mind.” Zi Tao starts and Luhan holds up a hand, not wanting to hear defense on their father’s behalf. Their father’s passing occurred already more than two years ago and in his final words, he forced Luhan to step up as Emperor.

“Father… cared too much for power and it ruined him. In his final days, he was still clinging to his position desperately, not wanting to leave these worldly treasures. What good is it to him in the afterlife? Even if there are emperors in the afterlife, there have been countless others before him, he wouldn’t have a spot to rule.” Luhan says bitterly and Zi Tao falls silent once again.

Their father left the country in shambles from the final scandals between him and some of the officials. When Luhan rose to the throne, the first thing he had to do was to settle the Upper Court and align the Back Palace. In his days, Luhan had seen his father step over many people, including his mother in order for him to obtain power.

Luhan felt sick whenever he thought of his father and the countless people he killed that threatened his position. How many people died because they wanted his power? Luhan wasn’t sure, but he swore he felt their spirits hurling curses at him from the afterlife whenever he sat upon the throne.

Concubines were another thing. They brought anger to his veins and hatred into his heart. Whenever he saw them pining for his affections, he saw the blood of his mother and the concubine who killed her. He was only six at the time. Raised as nobody’s son, not one imperial concubine dared to bear his grief upon their shoulders in fear of losing the Emperor’s affections. He was nobody’s child, the wild one.

Luhan detested his father from the moment his mother died. He hated him from the deepest pit of his soul knowing that his father singlehandedly tore their family apart. If Luhan could, he would drain all the blood in his body that belonged to his father and bury it in the grave where his father lay.

“Ge, what are you thinking about?” Zi Tao asks, disturbing Luhan’s anguished and detestable thoughts. Luhan shakes his head, not answering, instead simply picking up a book that he’d carelessly thrown away earlier and cracking it open to read.

“You should return to your carriage, I’m getting tired. Take the board with you.” Luhan says, not peeling his eyes from the book for even a moment. Zi Tao hesitates for a moment before bowing at Luhan’s feet.

“I’ll leave you to your thoughts. Long live your grace.” Zi Tao says bowing before exiting the carriage. Luhan anticipates the soft thud as Zi Tao jumps off and mounts his horse. He sighs and returns to reading his book. Luhan had not the slightest clue of what he was reading, but simply let the words wash over him like a blanket. With the soft rolling motion of the carriage, Luhan felt his eyelids droop with heaviness. He let the words of his book ease him into a dark and dreamless sleep.

 

The Palace of Goryeo.

Sooyoung arrives at the palace gates in time to see Mi Young also stepping off her carriage. What coincidence that they arrived not more than a minute within each other. Sooyoung wonders what chapter of accidentals had managed to bring them together during a time like this. She takes a deep breath and walks towards the palace ajhumma in charge of admitting the girls into the inspection chamber. Mi Young sees Sooyoung and nods to her silently, knowing that they were to wait for admission before speaking to each other.

“Choi Sooyoung.” Sooyoung says to the woman who scnas her scroll, confirming Sooyoung's name. The ajhumma nods, gesturing behind her to the waiting area and Sooyoung bows in respect as she leaves. Sooyoung sees many young women, all dressed in their best finery chatting up a storm as they wait to see the King. Out of the corner of her eye, Sooyoung spots a flash of pink and knows instantly that it’s Mi Young.

“Are you just going to stand there and pretend you don’t know me?” Mi Young asks her standing with her hands on her hips jokingly. Sooyoung laughs and embraces Mi Young, glad to see a familiar face amongst a sea of strangers.

“Did you see the girl with the silver threads woven into her clothing?” Sooyoung asks, admiring a girl who was standing confidently by herself in a corner. Her headdress was adorned with jewels and precious metals of every kind and her face was a beacon of beauty and purity.

“I did.” Mi Young says nodding eagerly, “I heard from one of the others that she is the sister of the great general Kim Minseok.” Mi Young says exuberantly. Sooyoung is impressed that the social butterfly Mi Young was able to pick up so many things in a chaotic setting as this.

“Isn’t Kim Minseok being transferred to the Emperor of China to serve under his court?” Sooyoung asks, referring to the Chinese Emperor’s infamous see and obtain behaviour. The Emperor sees something he wants and he obtains it by all means necessary.

“Rumour has it; he went willingly to the Chinese Court. Traitorous Bastard.” Mi Young whispers to Sooyoung and she grimaces at Mi Young’s crude choice of words. “I’m surprised the King even allowed him to leave.” Sooyoung says, gritting her teeth and Mi Young shrugs her shoulders.

“Well, Minseok was a general under Goryeo anyways; it would’ve been to no harm to the King of Silla." Mi Young says and Sooyoung purses her lips in disagreement.

"Minseok was a fine general." Sooyoung says and Mi Young waves off her comment, continuing with her previous statement.

"Besides, Kim Joon Myun would’ve had no choice anyways; his country had already been conquered by the great general Kim Jaejoong of Silla. The King of Silla would’ve had to agree to any of the demands made by the Tang Dynasty considering the victory wouldn’t have been possible without their help.” Mi Young says and Sooyoung is impressed that Mi Young is so well learned in the politics and affairs of state.

“Kim Joon Myun was a great King; it is saddening to hear that his country was taken over by one of his own.” Sooyoung says and Mi Young nods in agreement. Joon Myun had been nicknamed Suho “guardian angel” by his people for all the kind acts he’d done for his country. He had been, by far, the most peaceful ruler that Goryeo ever had and his people mourned the end of his empire.

“He was a great ruler.” Mi Young says echoing Sooyoung’s thoughts, “It’s a shame that-” Mi Young says but they’re distracted by the sudden rise in noise from the area where Sohee had been standing previously. Sooyoung and Mi Young walk a little closer to see what’s going on.

“Forgive me your ladyship, I’ve done wrong.” Sohee says bowing down lowly, clothes covered with tea while another girl scolds her for her clumsiness. A large crowd had gathered quickly and the girl doing the scolding was enjoying the attention.

“You should know better, now look! You’ve broken one of the teacups of the palace! How are you going to pay for your sins now?” The girl scolding Sohee asks and Sohee does not answer. “You clumsy, clumsy girl.”

“What happened?” Sooyoung asks one of the girls nearby who’d seen the entire incident. The girl shakes her head in disapproval and replies, “That there is Baek Jiyeon, she’s the finance minister’s youngest daughter. She walked by and bumped into Sohee, spilling all of her tea on Sohee. Instead of apologizing, she’s berating Sohee for being the clumsy one.”

Sooyoung opens to say something but Mi Young tugs her back quickly. “It’s better not to make enemies in the palace.” Mi Young cautions in a low whisper and Sooyoung nods but bites her lip, not wanting to watch on as Sohee kneels miserably in front of Jiyeon.

“I want you to apologize to me, tell everyone what a failure you are and how you aren’t matched up to being a Kim while also slapping yourself across the face.” Jiyeon says smirking down at Sohee who looks Jiyeon straight in the eye, biting back words of hate. The other girls whisper amongst themselves excitedly, lapping up the drama of the palace.

“What are you waiting for?” Jiyeon asks Sohee. Sohee sighs in discontent and she raises her arm. Sooyoung decides she can’t take any more of this and steps into the circle, grabbing Sohee’s arm. Jiyeon narrows her eyes at Sooyoung.

“Unni, you already made the poor girl suffer, isn’t that enough?” Sooyoung asks, her voice dripping in honey. Mi Young quickly steps into the circle and steps in front of her as protection.

“What’s it to you? What family are you from?” Jiyeon asks airily, glaring Sooyoung down but Sooyoung stands her ground, not once does her smile falter. Jiyeon looks at the girl and wonders where she gets the audacity to stand up to the finance minister’s daughter.

“My name is Choi Sooyoung.” Sooyoung replies, bowing respectfully at Jiyeon and Jiyeon scoffs.

“Just a Choi? Isn’t that a family of just merchants?” Jiyeon sneers and Sooyoung grits her teeth but holds her tongue.

“Unni, please, let go of the poor girl. I am, after all, looking after your best interests. You wouldn’t want to tarnish your image or dirty your hands dealing with a Kim. If the King were to hear about this, I’m sure that would ruin your chances of entering the palace.” Sooyoung says smiling.

“Please, my lady, with your beautiful looks, it will be easy for you to be upon the best of the imperial concubines, why risk that by dealing with this girl? You ought not to deal with a peasant such as her.” Mi Young adds coming to Sohee’s defense. Jiyeon, left speechless, snorts once and turns on her heel walking away. The girls start whispering again.

“Show’s over.” Sooyoung says and the girls slowly disperse. Mi Young helps Sohee stand up from bowing on her knees. Thankfully the tea was light and had mostly dried leaving the smallest stain that was barely visible.

“Aigo, look at your knees.” Mi Young says and sure enough, there were two dark patches of dirt on Sohee’s dress from when she had been kneeling earlier. Mi Young calls one of her servants over to bring Sohee a handkerchief to help wipe off Sohee’s dress.

“For what you did in there… I don’t even know how to begin to thank you.” Sohee says, her eyes b with tears. Sooyoung and Mi Young work to clean off Sohee’s robes and upon her thanks, Sooyoung looks up.

“You are welcome, I’m glad to help one of us, after all, in the palace, we all serve the King. We should not be jumping at each other's throats upon first chance. In times like these, we sisters need to bond together.” Sooyoung says and Sohee’s eyes shine gratefully with tears. Sohee had not expected to meet such kindness in the palace, it was better that she took advantage of the opportunity while it presented itself to her.

“My name is Kim Sohee, daughter of the late War Minister and sister of Kim Minseok of Goryeo. Birth, year of the monkey.” Sohee says bowing respectfully to Sooyoung and Mi Young. Sooyoung smiles kindly at Sohee and brings her up to her feet.

“No more of the exigent formalities.” Sooyoung says with a kind, genuine smile on her face, “I am Choi Sooyoung, daughter of Choi Jungnam a merchant that serves the Royal family. I was born in the year of the Horse, this is my friend.” Sooyoung says gesturing to Mi Young who bows kindly as well.

“Hello there, I am Hwang Mi Young from Baekje and my father is the Minister of Justice, born in the year of the Snake, we are both from Baekje.” Mi Young says with a smile equal to that of Sooyoung’s in authenticity.

“Ah, you are both older. Then it is my honour to be in the presence of two noble and gentle unnis who are delicate in actions and fine in beauty.” Sohee says, bowing again and Sooyoung shakes her head.

“The pleasure is ours.” Sooyoung says smiling and then takes off her shoes and giving them to Sohee. “Here, accept these shoes as a greeting gift on account of the beginning of our sisterhood.” Sohee gasps at the shoes and the delicate splendour of them. They were unlike anything she had ever seen.

“Unni, I could not accept such a gift from you.” Sohee protests vehemently but Sooyoung holds them out to her, not budging in her will. Sohee takes them from Sooyoung begrudgingly but secretly feels joy on the inside from accepting such a magnificent pair of shoes.

“I cannot possibly let myself be shown up by my dear dongsaeng.” Mi Young says handing Sohee a jade bangle with beautifully ornamented lotus flowers on it. Sohee bows and accepts the bracelet with a shy smile on her face. Sooyoung and Mi Young look at each other, feeling a budding new friendship forming.

“The King requests the inner villages of Goryeo.” A messenger calls out, his voice echoing off the stone walls of the courtyard in which the girls waited. Sohee’s ears prick at the mention of her hometown and waits eagerly.

“Looks like this is me.” Sohee says, turning and bowing quickly. Sooyoung and Mi Young nod at her in encouragement as she enters in through the red gate towards the inspection area.

“See you on the inside of the palace.” Sohee mutters to herself and then puts on her most confident smile. She sees the girls exiting and many are clutching flowers, some shedding tears. Sohee raises an eyebrow, not knowing that the King of Silla was this harsh. Kim Jaejoong was known, yes, for extravagance but not for having a sharp tongue. Kim Jaejoong, while he spoke with flowery language had the heart of a snake. He never wore dissatisfaction upon his lips but showed it through his actions. 

“The Inner Village of Goryeo arrives.” A messenger declares upon their arrival. All of the potential girls line in a straight line, bowing before the King. Sohee sneaks a peek at the man and a small gasp threatens to escape her lips.

Perched upon the golden and ornamented throne was not Kim Jaejoong as Sohee predicted. Instead, it was his Imperial Majesty, the Emperor of China, Luhan. Sohee bows her head and continues to exude docility as instructed by her brother.

“Bow down before the Emperor.” The messenger calls out and the girls drop down deeply to their knees, keeping their eyes towards the ground, raising their hands to their heads as a symbol of bowing their heads to the ground. Sohee sees the young emperor’s bored expression and she grits her teeth.

“Kim Sohee.” The messenger calls and Sohee rises and steps forward bowing down deeply in front of the Emperor. Luhan yawns at her arrival, ignoring the glares he was receiving from Kim Joon Myun.

“I, Kim Sohee daughter of late War Minister and sister of General Kim Minseok, humbly proclaim my servitude to your highnesses. May you live forever in glory, grace and fortune as rich as the colours of the sun on your empire. I bask in the strength of your divine ambience.” Sohee says in her brightest voice.

“Rise Kim Sohee.” The empress calls to her and Sohee stands. “Lift your chin so we can see your face.” The empress declares and Sohee gazes up to meet her eyes. Sohee resists the urge to shudder when she sees the empress’ cold sharp gaze trained upon her features. Although Sohee was fully clothed, she never felt more in her life.

“Kim Sohee, her brother fought bravely for me. She is a wonderful girl, very thoughtful; she will be very useful in your palace.” Kim Joon Myun says and Sohee is shocked to hear his voice. She did not know that he was attending, nor that the King of Silla would let him attend. Nevertheless, representing Silla was Kim Joon Myun.

“What a pure, innocent face, much like you, Crown Princess, when you were younger.” The empress says with a raised eyebrow and another woman that Sohee presumed was the Crown Princess stiffened. A direct insult to her age, Luhan was bored with the petty arguments between the two of them and held up a hand for peace.

“Looks will fade Qian, what is important is how well read she is.” Yoona responds calmly despite the biting words made by Qian, “What books have you read?” Yoona asks Sohee.

“In response you your words your highness, I have read Classic of Poetry, Classic of Changes and Spring and Autumn Annals.” Sohee says, reciting what her brother taught her earlier.

“What a pity, she hasn’t read anything heavier.” Yoona says, resting her chin on delicate hands. She gazes at the girl before her who did not tremble like the others and Yoona raises an eyebrow. Kim Joon Myun grits his teeth at how the women in his mighty country were so easily disdained by such prissy royals. He was, however, in no place to cut in and give his defense.

“Crown Princess, it is good that she is well learned above all.” Qian says, comfortingly. Qian had noticed the ambassador’s agitation whenever women from Goryeo appeared. Qian scoffed at his reaction. Men were all like that, only caring what belonged to them while treating everything else like trash.

“Ahh, what beautiful shoes you have.” Yoona says admiring the gift Sohee had been given earlier, “Such fine silk, wasted on shoes. However, compared to your shoes, your looks seem dull in comparison. You are unfit to match those shoes.” Yoona says, “Gift the flower.” Sohee feels crushed in disappointment but drops to her knees.

“Thank you for granting me this presence.” Sohee says not letting her discontent show on her face, bowing deeply to the Empress and the Crown Princess. Yoona smiles knowingly and Qian catches the look on her face, understanding Yoona’s notion at once. This time though, Qian would beat Yoona to forming allies.

“Ah, you are different from the other girls. When we gift them the flower, they do nothing but wear unhappy expressions almost as if they were cursing us for their own inadequacies. You, on the other hand, understand and know humility. You thank us, knowing that letting you live is a grace on our behalf. You, by thanking us, perchance you are not mocking us?” Qian asks teasingly.

“I would dare not, your excellency.” Sohee says and Qian smiles in her seat, leaning back slightly, tapping her finger upon her cheek.

“I see you already have flowers.” Qian says referring to the beautiful jade bracelet Sohee was wearing, “Since it is impolite to give what you already have, gift the spice bag.” Qian says, cancelling the earlier declaration. Yoona fumes, seeing that Qian had stolen her opportunity to grant grace and win the affections of the future concubine.

“Thank you your highnesses.” Sohee says and Qian nods, the messenger giving Sohee a bag of spices. Sohee returns to her position slightly disappointed that the Emperor had shown her no interest. He had barely even casted a glance in her direction, Sohee wasn’t used to being so blatantly ignored. This, though, was burried deep under her undeniable relief of her narrow entrance.

She observes the rest of the process silently from her spot. Flower after flower after flower… out of her group there had been no more spice bags. Sohee holds her composure until just outside the palace walls where she collapses into the arms of a handmaid that was awaiting her arrival. It was more tiring to keep up a guise than she thought.