Prologue

The Forbidden City

Spring time, 637. The Imperial Palace.

Spring arrived early leaving the courtyard in a beauteous splendor. The pink petals of the cherry blossoms graced the ground beside the small pond full of golden carp.“Ge, just give up.” Li Jia Heng says smirking up at Luhan’s furrowing gaze. On this fine day, it was just the two of them, the younger dropping his formalities and the elder enjoying the brief escape from the choking constriction of politics and royal matters.

“I think you’ve judged too quickly, dear brother.” Luhan says placing a white stone down. He laughs at the now clear fact that Jia Heng’s pieces were trapped in a dead position and subsequently clears them from the board. “Your overbearing cockiness has put you at a life or death situation.” This time, it was Jia Heng’s turn to frown, wondering how he’d overlooked such a deadly counterattack.

“Once again, ge ge, you lead me to believe I win before striking me down.” Jia Heng says, resigning from the game of Wei Qi. In the early days, Jia Heng had easily beat Luhan being much more skilled in the tactics but slowly Luhan familiarized himself with the board, studying often with Zi Tao. Since Luhan played with Jia Heng so much in the past, Luhan could quickly tell what tricks Jia Heng was planning. It was Jia Heng’s turn now to gape as Luhan deceived him before his very eyes.

“How cruel of me.” Luhan replies a twinkle in his eye as he clears all the pieces from the board. “Now tell me Jia Heng, what have you come to ask of me today?” Luhan asks, straight to the point. Jia Heng looks at him in shock, wondering how Luhan saw through his façade so easily.

“You never play wei qi with me anymore unless you have something to ask of me, brother. No fool enjoys losing time and time again; now inform me of this new act I must perform.” Luhan says, cleaning the board of its pieces and placing them into the small bamboo basket holder sitting beside the board on the stone table.

“Always so straight to the point.” Jia Heng says sighing and chuckles at Luhan’s antics, “You knew of my purpose yet still sat and played a game with me.”

“Of course, if I must do something for you, you must also pay your dues.” Luhan replies, “What is it this time? A visit to the King of Japan? More repairs done to the back palace? A country that hasn't paid it's tributes?” Luhan asks, standing up and flicking his ropes in annoyance to adjust them, he hated the heavy emperor robes that he was forced to don. They were too heavy for his liking.

“Not quite.” Jia Heng says and Luhan turns to him raising an eyebrow in questioning, “The Royal Court was informed that Silla wants to send us not only war tributes but also concubines from Goryeo and Baekje to thank us for the alliance that allowed them to capture the two kingdoms.”

“I am well aware.” Luhan says, slowly pacing the garden out of habit, “How does this concern me?” Luhan twirls a jade pendant in one hand. He believed that idle hands led to and idle mind and Luhan was not one to be idle.

“Do not be haste brother.” Jia Heng chides lightly before continuing, “The King of Silla has requested your presence at the choosing of the concubines to serve in our palace.” Luhan turns to glare at Jia Heng, stopping his pacing abruptly.

“What did you say? How foolish, brother, there is much I would help you with but I will not be involved in something as low as concubines.” Luhan says. Luhan shuts his eyes tightly thinking of the disgusting nature of the concubines who prowled for his affections time and time again with nothing in mind but advancing themselves in power.

“We need to pay our respects to the Silla King for being so generous with the tributes.” Jia Heng argues and Luhan snorts in disgust.

“He is so generous with women that are not his own. Why does he not send concubines that serve in his own court?” Luhan asks vehemently and Jia Heng sighs.

“Luhan ge, you know how court politics work.” Jia Heng says, “You need to represent our nation in showing strength and power and therefore you need to accept these women. By dominating over them, you will also show your supreme power to Silla.”

“Jia Heng, you know so very clearly that I never visit the back palace yet you are asking me to choose concubines?” Luhan shrieks in rage.

“You do not have to manage them, you simply have to appear and then the Empress and Crown Princess will be present at the selections, you simply have to sit and watch as they test the candidates. You are not required to say a word, of course, unless you wish to.” Jia Heng says and Luhan exhales.

“No. End of discussion, you are dismissed advisor Li Jia Heng.” Luhan says.

“Long live your majesty.” Jia Heng says returning to his formalities and bows deeply before striding out through the gate to the courtyard returning to the palace matters.  Luhan sighs and exits the courtyard as well, four eunuchs hurrying in to clean up the wei qi board after he exits. Luhan walks to the Imperial library and sits down to read a scroll.

On the surface level, Luhan held the most power; he was after all the emperor of China. Yet those who worked in the palace knew that the real ruler was his brother and royal advisor Li Jia Heng. Jia Heng ran day to day affairs, only consulting with Luhan when he needed the emperor’s seal of approval. Luhan was fully aware but Luhan could not care less. He had no ambitions for power and did not pursue it the way Jia Heng did. Jia Heng though, knew his boundaries. Although he craved power, he still deeply loved and respected his brother and emperor Luhan who would, as long as he was alive, be his ruler in this country. Luhan trust his brother and therefore, stepped aside while he ran the palace.

 

The Empress' Chambers

“Good morning Empress.” The imperial concubines greeted Song Qian as she sat before them, clothed in jewels and of the best golden silk. She looks around at those present and masks her disapproval as she sees the empty chair before her.

“Where is the Crown Princess today?” Qian asks looking at the bowed faces before her and no one dares answer her, for even though they fear the Empress, today, they fear the hot tempered Crown Princess even more. Qian, annoyed that she is not met with a response  does not give them permission to sit.

“Your majesty, I do not believe the Crown Princess is coming today.” Soojung, an imperial concubine tells Qian.  Whispers start around the room and Qian grits her teeth.

“Our mannerly princess will come and pay her respects to the Empress. It is impolite to start without our princess, we will wait.” Qian says and the concubines continue to stand silently. Qian sits up in her chair and her two servants eye each other not knowing what was to happen next.

“The Crown Princess has arrived.” A voice booms from the door and the concubines all shuffle to one side allowing space for the Crown Princess to walk through. She struts in, paying no attention to the tense atmosphere around her.

“The Crown Princess humbly pays her respects to your majesty.” Yoona says, bowing deeply. Half-sister to both Luhan and Yi Fan, she was in a constant power struggle with Qian over the back palace. Showing up late to paying respect was just another way of showing Qian who was in charge.

“Welcome Yoona, please sit down everyone. Bring the tea.” Qian says and the Imperial Concubines sit down. “So tell us sister, why are you so late?” Qian asks with a smile plastered to her face.

“Ah, I was not feeling so well this morning, Luhan ge told me to sleep in to restore my health, I’m sure you understand, I couldn’t go against the Emperor’s words.” Yoona says smiling coyly and she sips her tea, dabbing the corners of lightly as she put down her cup.

“Of course Yoona, no one was blaming you. After all, my husband’s words are sacred and we must keep them in our heart. Please take care of yourself; I am sure you have no problems in doing that.” Qian says smiling and Yoona grips her cup a tad tighter.

“My brother will thank you for your kind care.” Yoona says, “I will tell him the next time I see him. My Empress, when did you last see him?” Qian keeps the smile placed firmly on her face. Yoona knew that Qian's marriage to Luhan was purely superficial and their joining was bred of the cause of politics. They were to unite their two nations together in a loving bond, yet ironically there was barely any love shown between them.

Perhaps somewhere buried deep inside of him was a spark of affection for her but none that required him follow tradition and lie with her on the night of their wedding. He had simply spread a blanket on the floor and slept there, selfless enough to give her the bed. The morning after, he made sure that she was taken care of and only came to see her when it was required.

Qian herself was a beautiful woman. Finding rejection from a man hurt her pride deeply and she began to grow resentment for him. Yet the more she couldn’t have Luhan, the more she wanted him. She was torn between her lust for the man she couldn’t have and the growing hatred and resentment from his rejection. Above all was her craving and desire for power. She would take care of Luhan and treat him well as long as he did not interefere with her rise to power. Then again, Luhan had no interest for the petty affairs of the back palace.

“The Emperor and I took a walk through the freshly blossoming garden, reciting poetry at the beginning of spring.” Qian answers. It had been, of course an annual ritual bred out of their common respect for poetry. It was more of a business affair, their meeting. Qian, however, is unfazed by Yoona's probe towards their non-existent love life. Qian thought these of trivial matters in her rise to power. “Now Crown Princess, please, these are some pastries the Emperor requested be specifically made for the Golden Palace. Try some, the Emperor said they were delicious and had them specially made for me. I couldn’t possibly eat them all so I would like to share them with you. If you like them, I can have one of my servants send you some to your Jade Palace.” Qian says waving one of her servants who brought the tray forwards and Yoona plucked a pastry off the top, taking a small bite.

“These pastries are alright, they’re too dry to my taste. Empress, your tea tastes a little stale and it is of last year's style. The emperor had some tea imported from Japan and sent a few trunks to the Jade Palace, if you would like, I can give you some.” Yoona says, smiling.

“The Gyokuro? We have some sitting in our pantry but I preferred the taste of yellow teas. If you find this stale, I can have one of my servants bring you steeped Gyokuro.” Qian says waving her hand to get her servant.

“No need, why waste right?” Yoona says, stopping Qian and Qian smiles and nods silently noting her own victory.

“Ah, the Emperor’s third brother will be returning tomorrow, I’m sure you will be happy to find the spare time from not having to deal with his duties anymore.” Qian says to Yoona, “Zhang Yi Xing ge will be happy to see the job you’ve done managing some of his affairs.” Yoona clenches her fist. Yoona was not exactly next in line to the throne. The Emperor had three brothers, Wu Yi Fan, Zhang Yi Xing and Huang Zi Tao. Yoona was the Emperor’s only sister and was often doted upon by the four. All of her power came from the fact she was in favour with Luhan but she had no real power herself. The moment she fell out of favour with Luhan was the moment she lost her power in the court. Of course, with an Emperor bracing her decisions, Yoona was a force to be reckoned with but Qian was powerful enough to keep her under control.

“What a momentous occasion." Yoona replies dryly, "It’s getting late for morning tea, I will withdraw first today. Long live the Empress.” Yoona says standing up, bowing half-heartedly to Qian and she exits the chamber without being dismissed. She fumes with anger and broods over the victory Qian had over her today. Of this palace, there was no one Yoona hated more than Qian and Qian hated no one more than Yoona. She smiles silently though, at defying the Empress by leaving without being excused. She showed that the Empress had no control over her.

“Empress, we also withdraw. Long Live the Empress.” Soojung and Jinri say bowing deeply to her.

“You are dismissed.” Qian says and the two of them scurry out quickly while the rest stay and look to Qian for direction. “I suppose it is getting quite late, you are all dismissed.”

“Thank you Empress, with this we retire to our chambers. Long live the Empress.” Hyoyeon, Sunyoung and Joohyun say standing up and bowing deeply to Qian, they start exiting the room but Joohyun hangs back slightly.

“Joohyun, I’d like to see you later today.” Qian says, and Joohyun nods anticipating that Qian would call her in to meet.

“Yes your highness.” She says and bows quickly before following after the others. Qian sits in her throne for a few moments, gathering her thoughts and plotting her next move.

 

A village in Silla

“Hwang Mi Young! Get back here!” Sooyoung yells at the bumbling girl in front who was quickly gaining distance away from her.

“Hurry up dongsaeng! They’re posting it now!” Mi Young replies laughing as she skips on ahead. Aish, this girl. Sooyoung thinks to herself but cannot help smiling at her never ending excitement and enthusiasm. Hwang Mi Young was a close friend. From youth, Sooyoung had been the calm type and Mi Young the energetic type. When their two families became close business partners, Sooyoung had taken an immediate disliking to the loud, obnoxious girl. Slowly though, throguh Mi Young's persistence, Sooyoung accepted Mi Young and her vibrant personality. Fei walks a step behind Sooyoung, slightly out of breath from trying to catch up to vigorous Mi Young.

“I swear that girl will be the death of me.” Fei mutters to Sooyoung and Sooyoung chuckles in agreement.

“Sooner or later she has to get settled down, just like you are with Liu Xian Hua.” Sooyoung says, “It is a good marriage, he is of high ascent, being a merchant. You will be happy with him.”

“Thank you Sooyoung, I am very honoured to be matched with a man like Xian Hua. Rumour is, he’s a gentleman and will treat his lady well. I hope you will find the same.” Fei says to Sooyoung and Sooyoung sighs.

“If only.” She says and they finally meet up with Mi Young who was in a large crowd of people that had gathered by the imperial post. The royal messenger reads out the decree in a large clear voice.

“His Majesty, King Suho requires all unmarried women prepare for selection into the palace within the next week. Selections will take place; those found escaping will be punished by death.” The messenger says and whispers start amongst the crowd.

“There you are!” Sooyoung says, spotting Mi Young at the front right near the messenger. She grabs Mi Young by the arm and drags her out of the crowd. “What were you thinking running off like that?” Sooyoung chastises Mi Young but her mind is elsewhere.

“Why would they be choosing new concubines when Baekje was just absorbed into Silla?” Mi Young asks impatiently, “Of course, Fei unni is exempt but Sooyoung and I will go to this choosing.”

“Of course, those who don’t can be punished by death.” Fei says. “Seeing this, I think Xian Hua and I may have to push our wedding earlier to avoid being taken into the palace.”

“Isn’t this exciting dongsaeng? To see the real interior of the palace! I wonder if it is truly as beautiful as rumours describe it to be.” Mi Young says, eyes sparkling as she clutches Sooyoung’s arm. Although Mi Young was elder in age, Sooyoung felt as if she were decades younger in personality.

“I believe so, or else why would the Silla King reside in the Baekje palace when he has his own?” Fei says proudly.

“Sooyoung!” A man’s voice calls and Fei and Mi Young stop their gossiping to see Changmin hurrying towards them.

“Changmin, what are you doing here?” Sooyoung asks, a dreadful feeling rising in the pit of her stomach.

"Sooyoung-ah, you are like a sister to me. Is it so wrong to want to see my sister?" Changmin asks, smile strained.

"Changmin-ah, I know you have an agenda." Sooyoung says impatiently and Changmin sighs.

“Please, I know that you want to marry someone you love but I do not want to see you taken into the palace. Marry me and I can guarantee you a life of happiness.” Changmin says grabbing Sooyoung by the arm, Sooyoung bows to him deeply.

“Oppa, I care for you as I care for a sibling and I know you feel the same way. Please, don’t make this harder than it needs to be, go marry Taeyeon. I know she loves you, if you want to save someone, save her. I know you want to keep me from the grasps of the palace, but who’s to say I would be chosen anyways? Don’t sacrifice your happiness for me oppa, I’m not worth it.” Sooyoung says calmly.

“I understand.” Changmin says pained.

“Taeyeon loves you. You should love her also. You would have a happy life together.” Sooyoung says touching his arm gently and Changmin lets a tear roll down his face and bows to Sooyoung.

“If this is goodbye…” Changmin says trailing off. Sooyoung raises him from his kneeling position.

“Don’t worry, it won’t be.” Sooyoung says confidently and Changmin nods. Sooyoung looks at his sorry expression and resists the urge to hug him and console him. "I take my leave." Sooyoung says, and bids him farewell as she continues along her way.

Did Sooyoung care for him? Yes, she did, but Taeyeon was also her best friend and she could not betray her like that. It would be better for Sooyoung to enter the palace than Taeyeon. Taeyeon was of delicate nature, growing up innocent and carefree, always seeing the good in people, blind to the bad. She would easily become the target of palace concubine schemes, Sooyoung could not let Taeyeon deal with that.

“Could you not let me buy you out of this predicament?” Siwon asks Sooyoung and she shakes her head. Sooyoung did not want to use her wealth to advantage herself over others; she had no right to do that.

“Oppa, I know you care for me well and thank you for accepting me into the Choi family even after the death of my parents.” Sooyoung says to her cousin Siwon. They were of nobility, the Choi family. The Choi family was exceedingly rich in wealth and resources as their father was a minister of the royal court before Baekje was taken over. He was the King’s most favoured Minister and even after assimilation, the King of Silla saw his talents and appointed him a position in the court.

“Sooyoung-ah, I have always thought of you as one of our family. I am sure the rest of our family can say the same.” Siwon says tears pricking at his eyes.

“Thank you oppa for taking care of me so well all these years but this is something that must be done.” Sooyoung says. “If I do well, great honour will come upon our family.” Siwon nods. He knew that Sooyoung would likely be accepted, her beauty was famed in the land and she was well learned in state affairs and in books. To many families being accepted into the palace was an honour that most girls dreamed of, but the Choi family had more respect for their niece. They did not believe in letting their little girl sell her body to officials in return of honour. How could such a disgraceful act lead to respect?

Sooyoung never had intentions of entering the palace, she simply wanted someone who loved and cared for her to marry her and for them to settle down. Perhaps have a few children and then grow old together. Her ideal that was shattered with this new change in events.

Siwon watches Sooyoung’s servants pack her items and sighs. He knew better than to go up in conflict against Sooyoung’s stubborn nature. While he agreed that using wealth to gain advantage over others was wrong, he was also intent on keeping his family intact and believed that was the right thing to do. Through the years, Sooyoung had winnowed her way into a place in his heart and he was intent on protecting her. He had Changmin propose to her in a desperate attempt to stop Sooyoung from leaving, of course, it hadn’t taken Changmin much convincing.

She had always been this way, so strong willed and stubborn, he’d often joked to her that she would have her tongue cut off in the palace if she’d acted this way. Now his fears would become reality as she was called away. Sooyoung was so blind to all of the people who would lay down their lives for her in this family.