Confusion

This Game Called Life ( A Mystery )

 

“Yoon Bi-suh, it’s me” I said to the mic that controlled the front gate of the mansion.

“Deh aghassi.”

I pulled my car into the driveway slowly not wanting to get inside that lifeless mansion.

To my surprise, my sister was waiting for me outside on the front steps. She had a worried look on her face.

“Star, what are you doing out here?” I said.

She didn’t bother replying back, she starred into my eyes like she always did when I got into trouble, but somehow this time it was different. In the corner of her eye I saw fear, something I never thought my sister would have.

“Follow me to my room Xinxin, and don’t say a word. I don’t want the maids to notice what’s wrong.”

I was really confused, why was Star being so secretive? Is she up to something? Nevertheless I obeyed her commands and quietly trailed behind her as the maids rushed in and out of the hallways preparing for dinner.

Star lived in the Westside of the mansion where the garden and lake is. I have to admit, I really hate going over there.

We walked up the stairs to her suite and I could already smell the chemicals from her lab. Star has a thing for forensics. Give her something and she could trace it back to the first person that ever touched it. I always admired my sister in a way. She was never afraid of anything. Not even death. I remember she used to work in the morgue in the basement with the other Lab workers and investigators. Sometimes she would even fall asleep in there when she attempted to pull all nighters. Just imagining falling asleep next to a dead body sent chills down my neck.

“ What the hell do you think you’re doing?!”

Her sudden question brought me back to reality and away from my thoughts.

“I.. just..”

“Dao Mingxin, are you out of your mind? Or are you simply that desperate to die?”

I couldn’t understand her words.

“What do you mean? I didn’t do anything.”

“You sent Seunghyun Oppa over to Barcelona to find traces of Ah Tang’s death. How can you do that behind uncle Chen’s back? Do you know what he’ll do to us? He’s going to suspect us of betraying him. I told you to leave this issue alone. Let uncle Chen and his boys handle everything.”

“What? How did you?........YOU TAPPED MY CALLS? Dao Minshan, I can’t believe your tracking my movements.”

“I didn’t have a choice Xinxin, it was the only way to make sure you weren’t doing anything that will hurt you in the end. I only want to protect you. You’re a smart girl, and I know that you know Ah Tang’s death isn’t a simple matter. But you can’t get involved Xinxin. You can’t win this war, some things are better left uncovered.”

“ I can’t believe you’re telling me to leave this thing alone? Someone died Star! In case you haven’t noticed. Maybe you can pretend nothing happened and continue with your jolly life, but I CAN’T! Ah Tang was like a brother to me, he was family. Nobody can step on my family like this; I simply won’t allow it. I will get to the end of this whether you like it or not. You know why? Because it’s not your decision to make Star. It’s my choice and there’s nothing you can do about it.”

With that I stomped out of the room like a crazy person and slammed the door behind me. I couldn’t believe what Star was saying to me. “No…No..NO!!!” My sister would never say those things. But then again I didn’t know what to believe in anymore. I want to call Adam and ask him for guidance, but he doesn’t work for me anymore. I don’t know who to trust in anymore, seems like all the people I love are no longer by my side. Seunghyun oppa is my only hope. But what can two people do?

Then this sudden urge to listen to my sister and just give up hit me. Maybe I’m just wasting my time. But then I saw Ah Tang’s helpless face and I knew in my heart that I just can’t forgive.