Suspicious

Save My Broken Life

**Monday at school**

"Morning Karly!" Kris and Tao said in unison as they walked up to Karly's locker. 

"Hey guys! You're here early today." Karly said raising an eyebrow at the coffee and breakfast sandwich Kris was handing her. 

"We had to come early to let the administrator know that Yeol will be out this week because of the "flu". Had to make sure we get ahead before they called our dad to check on him." Kris explained.

Yeol was still limping around and the teachers would for sure notice so saying he's sick is much easier. The Administration office loved Kris and Tao's family provided security for the school so they never questioned these two. 

"Smart move. I'll make sure he keeps up with all his assignments while he's recovering. Are you sure you don't want to stay at my place this week too? I know it's a little crowded with 3 of us, but Yeol would like the company." Karly asked Kris while she sipped on her coffee. 

"I just need to stay at the mansion tonight for a meeting. I'll go to the apartment tomorrow and stay the rest of the week. Promise." Kris said 

"is it a meeting about Canada?" Karly asked him smiling. Kris nodded in response. 

Kris is taking over one of their family's smaller business in Canada. He had shown in interest for it a few years ago when he found out Victoria was moving there, and this was the perfect way to be close to his love again. Kris has been listening in on more meetings this year to prepare to take over once he graduates. 

"Where's your new friend?" Tao asked as they walked past Luhan's locker.

"I'm not sure actually, he's usually here early, maybe he already went to first period." Karly said. She glanced back at his locker one more time before they turned the corner to their first period class. 

**Lunch** 

"He's not here Karls" Kris said while Karly scanned the lunch room. 

"I haven't seen him in the halls all morning, and he always eats with us. This is really weird." Karly said, starting to get worried. 

"Maybe he got sick? Have you texted him?" Tao asked. 

"I mean I don't even know what to text him. If I ask where he is, doesn't that seem a little desperate? or too attached?" Karly asked and a faint blush colored her cheeks. 

"Wait, am I missing something here? What else happened this weekend" Tao asked. 

"Karly and Luhan both like each other. Not that they've told each other yet, but they did kind of go on a date before Yeol and I crashed it." Kris explained. 

"WHAT?!" Tao exclaimed

"Shhhh!!! No need to yell!" Karly gave Tao a warning look. 

"Sorry, sorry. I'm just surprised because that escalated quickly is all. But that's great! I'm happy for you!" Tao smiled at Karly. 

"Thanks... but I still don't know where he is." Karly said looking around again. 

"Maybe he's still nervous because of our conversation in the car. If he's not at Home Ec later today, then you should check on him. But I'm sure he's fine" Kris said as he rubbed over Karly's hand. 

**Last period** 

Karly walked into the classroom and finally let out a sign of relief when she spotted Luhan in his usual spot in the back corner. He was looking out the window. 

"Hey you" Karly said as she set her stuff down on the desk next to him. 

"Hey Karly" Luhan said, only turning his head slightly in her direction. 

Karly caught the awkward moment immediately. 

"Luhan? Are you okay?" Karly asked, leaning toward him slightly. 

"I'm fine" Luhan said reaching his hand to his temple as if to cover the side of his face. 

Karly's sharp eyes spotted a few bruises on Luhan's arm right where the sleeves cut off. Her eyes narrowed and her hands started to make fists. 

"Luhan. Look at me." Karly said. 

Luhan didn't budge. 

"Luhan. Look. At. Me." Karly demanded again. 

Slowly, Luhan turned to fully face Karly and revealed a greenish purple bruise on his left cheek. 

Karly's jaw tightened and she immediately knew who was responsible. 

"He did it, didn't he. Why?" Karly said with clear anger in her voice. 

"It's not that bad, just don't worry about it" Luhan said looking at his desk. 

"But he--" Karly was interrupted by the sound of the bell. 

"This isn't over. We're talking about this later" Karly whispered to Luhan as class started. 

**After school** 

"Luhan! Luhan wait!!" Karly called after Luhan as she ran after him. 

"Hey what's going on" Kris asked as they ran past. 

"Tao stop him!" Karly yelled seeing Tao by the front gate of the school. Tao reacted quickly and grabbed Luhan by his shoulders to stop him. 

"Whoa whoa whoa what's going" Tao said. 

Kris and Karly caught up them and Kris and Tao exchanged looks when they saw the bruise on Luhan's cheek. 

"Just tell me why he did it Luhan. Please." Karly said as she caught her breath. 

"Look, I told you already, it's not a big deal. Just drop it Karly!" Luhan shouted out of irritation. 

Hurt washed over Karly's face. She couldn't believe how harshly Luhan spoke to her. All she wanted to do was care for him, and he yelled at her. 

"Fine! Sorry I asked." Karly said as tears threatened to fall from her eyes. She pushed past all three guys and started walking away. 

Seeing the hurt on Karly's face was like a punch to the gut for Luhan. 

"Karly wait!" Luhan said as he reached out to grabbed her wrist. 

"Were you not done yelling at me yet?" Karly asked pointedly. 

"Karly please. I'm sorry. I didn't mean to yell at you like that. I know you mean well and you're worried. I'm sorry about my tone. That was very rude of me. Please forgive me. I can't have you mad at me." Luhan said holding her wrist firmly, his eyes starting to water now. 

"Just be honest with me. Was it because of me?" Karly asked softly

Luhan signed and nodded. 

"One of my dad's drinking buddies saw us at the river and he told my dad. When my dad asked me what I did for the weekend, I said nothing because I didn't know he knew. He got mad at me for lying to him and..." Luhan's voice trailed off. 

"Luhan.... I'm so sorry. I didn't mean to cause trouble for you. Does it hurt?" Karly asked as she reached a hand up and gently brushed her fingers over his cheek. 

"It's not the worst thing he's done. I'm okay. Please don't blame yourself, Karly. He's just a crazy man. He'd find any and every reason to lose his temper." Luhan said as he slowly grabbed Karly's hand. He brushed his thumb over her knuckles. 

"Kris? Tao? We have to do something about this. Luhan needs to move out. Maybe we can find him a place in my building or yours Tao?" Karly said looking at her friends desperately. 

"If that's what Luhan wants, we will make it happen." Kris said. 

"Thanks guys, but I can't afford to live on my own just yet, and the school year is almost over. Once summer starts I'll be going to a summer intern program before college starts and then I'll have a dorm room. I just have a few more months to get through." Luhan said. 

"But it's not safe Luhan." Karly said looking at him. 

"Don't worry Karly. He won't kill me. I promise." Luhan said reassuringly. 

Karly looked at Luhan for a few seconds before she wrapped her arms around him and rested her head against his chest. Luhan was surprised but instinctively wrapped his arms around her and rubbed her back. 

"Just think about it at least. It would give me some peace knowing you're in a safe place." Karly said. 

"I'll think about it, sunshine. I promise." Luhan said and kissed the top of her head softly. 

The four of them walked back home together and Karly gave Luhan a quick hug when they reached his apartment complex. Tao and Kris looked around at the people passing by in a protective manner. Luhan gave Karly a soft smile before he walked into his building. 

** At Karly's Apartment* 

"I can't believe his dad would do that to him! Especially while he still has to go to school. Isn't he worried the teachers would be concerned?" Yeol fired off question after question when he caught him up on the situation. 

"He hides in the back corner of classrooms all the time and keeps to himself, the teachers probably don't even notice." Kris said. 

"Tao? Is there anything we can do?" Karly asked. 

"I'm not sure karls. I mean I'm happy to teach him some self defense of course, but it's not like we can just force him to move out or call a bodyguard to be in his home." Tao rubbed his temples. 

"Will you see if your security team might be able to investigate his dad a little? See if he's got anything on his record that can help us get Luhan away from him?" Karly asked Tao. 

"Will do." Tao said, already texting his team. 

"And Kris, I'll need a couple more wound kits and maybe a stitch kit or two. I just have a bad feeling" Karly said with a furrow in her brows. 

"No problem. I'll bring them for you tomorrow. I gotta get home for that meeting, but I'll call you later okay? Don't worry, he's going to be okay." Kris said lovingly. 

"Thanks Kris." Karly said and hugged him before he left. 

"I'll go pick up some dinner for us, do you need anything else?" Tao asked Karly. 

Karly shook her head and smiled a soft smile. 

"Okay. I'll be right back. Then we'll do another lesson after dinner." Tao patted Karly's arm before he left too. 

"Don't worry Karly, Luhan's part of this group now, we won't leave him to fend for himself." Yeol said and gave her a big smile. 

"Thanks Yeol, you always know how to make me feel better." Karly said and rested her head on his shoulder.