Six

Cantabile

 

 
six
six
[ Jonghyun ]
 
“Hey,” Jonghyun whispers while the teacher is explaining their project. He ignores the pokes in his side coming from Krystal in favor of leaning over the aisle to Taemin’s desk.
 
The two have been talking more often since the day they walked to class together, but Key’s been feeling better (it’s been a week since his rejection) and now Jonghyun walks with him to class. Jonghyun’s conversations with Taemin, while enjoyable because they actually have a lot of interests in common, never go past the surface. They never breach the extreme sadness behind Taemin’s eyes, which is too bad because Jonghyun can’t stand the way it festers.
 
Taemin turns in his seat, almost surprised to find Jonghyun looking at him. He raises a brow as if to say what is it? Jonghyun holds up the slip of paper.
 
“Want to work together?” he whispers, hoping his smile looks encouraging and not intimidating.
 
The expression on Taemin’s face is one of pure shock, and he almost looks behind him to be sure that Jonghyun is really talking to him. His eyes flicker to Krystal, who Jonghyun can imagine pouting right now. When Taemin has settled that Jonghyun is indeed talking to him, his mouth works open and closed. Jonghyun is afraid that something’s wrong, but then Taemin speaks.
 
“Sure?” His voice goes up at the end, as if he’s not sure after all.
 
“It’s settled then!” Jonghyun says, a grin splitting his face down the middle. “You have to give me your number after class. We can work on it at my house next weekend.”
 
Taemin nods, but his expression is a little dazed as he returns his attention to the front of the room. After class, Jonghyun hands Taemin his phone so Taemin can enter his number in it, and they decide to walk to lunch together because Key needs to ask the teacher a question. (Jonghyun is sure that he’ll need to explain himself to his best friend later on, because now Key has to work on the project with Krystal, who is a notoriously uncooperative partner. Somehow, he doesn’t care though.)
 
“You’re good at this kind of thing, right? Analyzing broad historical trends in the context of the Spanish-American War?” Jonghyun asks, teasing, as they stop at Taemin’s locker.
 
Taemin shrugs, grinning. “I guess.”
 
Jonghyun notices the way Taemin doesn’t try to deepen his voice anymore. He wonders if its conscious or unconscious, but decides it doesn’t matter. Jonghyun likes Taemin the best when he’s himself, pretty and smiling.
 
“Have you considered trying out for men’s choir?” he asks impulsively, imagining the perfect harmony their voices will weave in between each other.
 
“Why?” Taemin asks defensively. “You’ve never heard me sing.”
 
Jonghyun shrugs and watches as Taemin picks at the zipper of his jacket. “We always need more people. Besides, I’m sure you’re great. I could help you.”
 
The smile on Taemin’s face makes Jonghyun happier than he thought it would. He isn’t sure whether this is a good or a bad thing.
 
“Your voice will really help us in the high register,” he adds. Taemin’s smile falters, and Jonghyun’s not sure what he’s done wrong.
 
[ author's notes — thanks for reading!