Loae

Survival (haitus?)

Daehyun had left his pod early. He knew his team members would frown upon his hastiness but he was hungry. Survival begetted that he find food immediately. He had tried to contact the other soldiers through his telepathy but noone answered. He quietly hid his white ears and pounced through the forest. 

In his search for supplements, he sensed the presence of humans near his pod. A lot of humans.

What had Youngjae told him about humans again? He thought. Oh yes, simple. 

Daehyun dismissed the swarming presence and continued the scavenger hunt. He was tempted to hum as he searched but he bit his lip. Daehyun was naturally talkative and hyper but was trained to do otherwise. A loose lip was dangerous as a soldier. For months after he was first drafted into BAP, he was instructed to wear a mask. Many Matokis took to avoiding him because of this, thinking it was a punishment of some sort. Even after he was allowed to take it off, he kept the mask as a reminder to keep himself under control.

Finally, he could see red dots around his body. A human stepped out of the darkness and approached him with a weapon in hand.

"Surrender. We have you surrounded. Put your hands up." The human ordered.

Daehyun stared back blankly. He wasn't sure how to respond to the threat. 

"Speak, what are you? Are you an Exotic?" The human demanded 

Daehyun shrugged his shoulders and shook his head.

"Why are you looking for Exotics?" He asked back but the human didn't respond. 

With every movement, he could feel hundreds of eyes following. He wasn't scared of the unknown. Out of his entire team, he was a top candidate to be the strongest; first was Captain Youngguk. However, unlike Youngguk and his other fellow comrades, he used a sword as effectively as they used a gun. There was something more in-control about using a sword.

Youngjae had given him his specialized sword. It had a black and white handle and resembled a katana which was always holstered to Daehyun's hip. Unlike a katana, the sword was double edge. The sword was made of a light but strong metal with the BAP symbol engraved at the hilt. He named it Cheesecake after his favourite. Daehyun tentatively hovered his hand over the hilt. Come what may, he would be ready.

A lone figure emerged from the group with hands raised in defense. Daehyun shifted and positioned himself accordingly. His night vision eyes scanned the figure as if it was daylight, catching the slight gleam of familiar yellow in his eyes. He had black bangs that stopped just short of his eyes. The figure was frail underneath his white robe and had a smile b his lips. 

"I guess you aren't an Exotic, judging by your clothes. We never really expected another species to arrive. Would you mind identifying yourself?" He asked. His voice was soft and soothing but not really welcoming. 

Daehyun pursed his lips and pretended to ponder at the question. 

"No thanks, really."

The man stepped closer and Daehyun moved back, still unable to pinpoint where he had recognized the eyes from.

"My name's Aron. If you don't mind, why don't you tell me your name?" His voice called. 

"I would mind actually, so no." Daehyun resisted the calmness of the question. He was trained to stay quiet.

"Oh, come on. A name wouldn't hurt." Aron moved closer yet again. His arms were raised but Daehyun knew one didn't require actual weapons to attack. 

Slowly, Daehyun grasped at his sword's hilt. More red dots trained themselves on his torso.

"I'm pretty sure those weapons your friends are planning on using hurt." He commented one last time before springing into action.

Daehyun ducked and felt a multitude of bullets whiz by his head. He whacked his sword (still in the scabbard) againts Aron's hind legs, causing Aron to fall instead. A bullet grazed his cheek, leaving a thin trail of blood to flow down. He wiped away the wound and continued to plow through the crowded forest. He expertly distributed blow after blow on incoming enemies. The humans fell like dominoes; it almost looked comical to him. He hit the next five soldiers he saw with his scabbard. 

The soldiers panicked. They weren't prepared for such a skilled combatant. They expected super powers and myths, not a superhuman. However, they weren't easily shaken. Not when they had Aron on their side.

Aron reached into his pocket on the circular item. He lifted the metal ring plugging the sphere and chucked it towards Daehyun whilst covering his own mouth. Within seconds, the 100 metres surrounding it was covered in a thick gas that would inhibit the brain functions of any inhaler.

Nobody could see anything past the grey. Aron waited for the gas to dissipate. He walked forward calmly with a couple of soldiers as bodygaurds. The air was still with no movement. Despite his previous display of confidence, Aron was wary of the Matoki. They were a resilient and strong abled bodied bunch that could survive under harsh conditions. They were not easy. 

Out of the fog, a thin silver blade glinted and Aron instinctively flinched to the left. The sword sliced through the air swiftly and quickly. The thin metal scratched Aron's cheek and gave him a harsh sting. The sword withdrew like it's entrance. The bodyguards sprang into action and Aron scoffed at the human's slowness. They fanned out and disappeared from Aron's sight. Within minutes, grunts and yells arose as the soldiers were knocked out.

Aron followed the wound with his hand. The injury was nothing to him. Just one of many more. 

In the fog, Daehyun muffled his mouth with a mask that had a skull design. Zelo had given him this gift as a joke to stop him from talking. After intaking a single breath of the gas, Daehyun's throat burned and his chest bitterly contracted. He struggled to put on the mask. Nevertheless, it was too late. The gas had started to tamper with his balance and vision. He unsheathed the katana-like Cheesecake and held it a ready with his right hand, the scabbard used as a cane. He closed his eyes to stop the dizziness and tried to use his other senses. He had pinpointed Aron's rough area.

Then a hand reached out and grabbed his shoulder. Reflex kicking in, he turned and whipped his arm out to jab his perpetrator. The hit missed and Aron, fully unaffected by the gas, kicked the back of his legs. Daehyun knelt to the floor with a grunt; sword keeping him upright.

Aron grabbed the back of his bare neck and immediately, Daehyun could feel himself exposed. He spun around, whacked Aron's hand off of him and ran forward. Realization hit him as he remembered the yellow glazed eyes.

"You're a Loae." He gasped.

Aron grinned back and flexed his fingers.

Daehyun's mind finally reeled as he grabbed the nape of his neck.

Loae were the adaptable, absorbant species. They are harmless and easy to kill initially since they don't have any outstanding abilities on their own. However, with a single touch, they can absorb another species abilities and advantages. This was how they managed to survive. 

"What are you doing with the humans?" Daehyun snarled. 

"I had to warn them of the impending dangers that Exotics posed to their precious earth. With their super powers, it would take a snap of Exotic's powers to destroy everything." Aron smiled as he stalked closer. 

"The Exotics don't care about Earth." Daehyun stated. 

"But they don't know that. How easy it is to gain support when something different comes along. The humans are blind to improvement and superiority. They are quite the useless species. Befitting of the term Lower." He cackled loudly, unafraid of listeners. Most of the soldiers were unconscious. 

"You're no different. This war is proof." Daehyun retorted.

Aron furrowed his brow in anger. The Loae and Humans grouped together was an insult.

"Shut up Matoki or else we'll continue with your kind."

"You won't win this one."

Aron darted forward with Daehyun's speed and delivered a side kick. Daehyun narrowly block the attack that mirrored his own. He would be faced with his own strengths now. Aron laid down a hail of hits and combos. With every attempt at a counterattack, Aron managed to block it. It was like fighting with a shadow. 

However, he could only drag out the fight. A Loae's replication ability only lasted a limited amount, depending on how much was absorbed, so Daehyun betted against time.

Aron lunged forward with his arms raised high. Daehyun ducked and rolled to the side. He propped his sword in front of him and Aron stopped mid tracks. Daehyun still had the advantage of long distance attacks. The blade followed Aron's every move.

Suddenly, a large twang sounded and the blade fell to the ground. A nearby soldier had been able to shoot at Cheesecake. The bullet took the brunt of the force while the slender sword remained flawless. Daehyun's hands throbbed as his sword was forced from his hand.

He looked up and saw Aron move speedily towards him. He put up his forearms to defend the incoming kick but the speed and sudden attack threw him off his balance, making him stumble back. Aron delivered another roundhouse kick immediately. Daehyun grunted as foot connected with shoulder and the force of impact rushed through. His neck whipped sideways hard and for a second, it was dark. He fell to the ground with a loud thud. His shoulder ached and his head increasingly became dizzier.

So this is what his fighting feels like, he thought hazily. With another round of energy, he scampered to his feet, breathing becoming unstable.

Daehyun blinked the fuzziness from his eyes and fumed at the sight before him. 

Aron had gotten hold of Cheesecake.

His mind flared. His precious Chessecake in the hands of another!? The sword was special. It was for him, given by Youngjae. He had barely let his own team members touch it!

He glared at it's wielder and red filled his mind. Anger fueled his newfound energy. This was unacceptable.

He sprinted forward faster without a second thought and aimed his hand straight for the head. Aron attempted to dodge it but Daehyun's speed had increased far past what he had absorbed. The blow connected awkwardly but Daehyun couldn't help but feel good.

Aron stuttered back and flailed Cheesecake around. Daehyun skillfully dropped low to deliver a harsh kick to his shins. Aron swore outloud as the pain of a nearly broken bone seared up his leg. Daehyun bounced back up, ready to retrieve his sword, but Aron was regaining concentration.

He bit his lower lip to counteract the pain and the sword forward, much to Daehyun's surprise. It sliced his bruised shoulder and blood quickly fell down his arm. Daehyun grunted as he moved away once again.

The idea that his own sword was injuring him hurt more than the wounds itself. It was like a betrayal.

His head was becoming clouded with shock now. His moves were slower. They changed from offensive to defensive. Everything became blurry. 

Ignoring the constant shots of pain coming from his leg, Aron deftly maneuvered the sword around him and nicked Daehyun in various areas. He was, of course, a skilled sword wielding Matoki now.

Every scratch proved it's purpose in slowing Daehyun down. He couldn't even pinpoint where his cuts were anymore or where the stinging was coming from. His arm was beginning to feel numb. His body was almost stained with blood all over.

Nevertheless, he was standing and fighting. 

That was the pride of a Matoki warrior.

The two continued the painful fight, unaware of the soldiers beginning to surround them once more. The ones that lost consciousness woke up again and was aleady training their eyes on Daehyun. They already received a taste of his strength. Now, it was revenge.

Daehyun's clouded head couldn't sense them anymore. Finally, one soldier arrived at an armlength distance and shot a tranquiliser dart straight into the nape of his neck. 

Immediately, the world spun around him. He swore under his breath and jerked the dart off his neck, realizing what had happened. His eyes lolled back as his body grew limp. He could feel his legs giving way. 

Aron was laughing, Cheesecake in his hand as a cane. Humans were definitely best used for their numbers. This was a hard earned triumph.

Slowly, Daehyun drifted to a semi-conscious state. He heard Aron whispering close to his ear, sending shiver through his still body. 

"You're going to be so very useful."