Cold Nights Warm Nights

Survival (haitus?)

Kyungsoo scrutinized Suho's strong back as he lay on his side. His eyes travelled every curve and wrinkle in his friend's jacket. The fabric stretched over tense muscle. Suho moved a warming hand over his shoulders and tried to go back to his uncomfortable sleep.

"Suho." Kyungsoo whispered. 

"Kyungsoo, go to sleep." Suho abruptly answered. There was no hint of patience or tolerance in his voice.

Kyungsoo pouted at his friend's sharpness. He knew, however, that Suho's sleeping shouldn't be tampered with. More than once had he and the others fallen under it's wrath.

He flipped his body around so that they laid back to back. He couldn't sleep. He was worried about his friends. No doubt he believed that they could take care of themselves, some more thn others, but it was an entirely different matter when there were so many unknown species. Plus, they had no food. Kyungsoo felt the small rumble in the pit of his stomach. He curled up even more to try and quelch the hunger and sound. The second time was louder.

I wish I had some eggs. He thought whilst picking up a pebble. 
 
Nonchalantly, he pressed the pebble between his fingers. Kyungsoo could sense a strong surge of power bubbling up into his fingers and predicted the outcome. Disaster.
 
His abilities colided roughly with the existing rock and shattered it. Pain hit his head and he winced, losing whatever slight control he had. The pebble exploded into dust and was scattering all over the forest floor. A piercing single noise rattled the inside of his head. He stuck a finger into his ear to silence the sound and released the air he didn't realize he was holding. A few seconds later, the noise subsided and the pain in his head numbed. He opened his eyes to find the ground had settled. 
 
"Shoot. You've got to be kidding me." He muttered angrily as he dusted off any rock specks on his shirt. He muttered angrily. He rubbed his teary eyes and bit his lower lip. This was completely karma. 
 
Kyungsoo wasn't like the others. His power was different and, for some reason, a lot stronger(no pun intended). Unlike most of the others who had control over elements, his powers involved himself.  In a heartbeat, he could break things without thinking, even when he didn't want to. He wasn't like Chanyeol, who didn't have a firm grip over his fire and continued to fluctuate according to his emotions. He had great control; being able to do almost anything he pleased when he wanted it to. However, there was simply no off button. He was at risk of destroying whatever he touched at all times. He was feared as 'King Soo's Touch' around the Exotics' kindergarten, by children and parents everywhere. As he grew isolated and more scared of hurting others, his subconsious attempted to restrict or backfire his abilities. Thus, the result was self implosion. It was akin to attacking himself.
 
It's noone'a fault but my own. He thought, looking at Suho's stiff back. 
 
A lump formed in his throat as he tried to swallow the guilt. It took Suho 7 years to achieve a high status among the Exotics. He became their leader through hard work and when the war struck, he was candidate to be high up in the chain of command. He never said anything regarding his current post but Kyungsoo assumed that the reason Suho wasn't one of the top dogs was his fault.
 
The pain of overuse and fear of destruction made Kyungsoo mentally inable to advance any further in his studies, which meant he couldn't pass certain tests to participate in the war. It was also one of the reasons that half of his friends were forced to take up a messenger job instead of one on the front lines. They were being considerate of him, he knew, but he also knew that his other friends that were fighting were more at risk. There was a high chance they would never see each other again and everybody knew it. Other Exotics gossiped about them each day. The crew that could but wouldn't. 
 
The small engraved lighter fell out his grey pocket. Looking for some distraction, Kyungsoo flipped the lid open and a soft flame blew out of the hole. The fire burned straight through his retina as he stared deeper into it. It mesmerized him and emitted a comfort that he had never realized. It shook with every breath he took but it was bright and warm, mirroring it's owner well. Kyungsoo glared at the floor remains of the rock. Destroyed. Lifeless. Cold. He flicked the lid back on with another sigh. He traced the engraving with his hand. A phoenix. It really suited Chanyeol well. Tall, powerful and free. Jealousy gnawed at his heart. 
 
Kyungsoo shook his head of any thoughts. He didn't want to be so negative and envious. It wasn't a trait he wanted to keep. His thick lips replayed encouraging memories. 
 
"You're strong, Kyungsoo. Not just physically. Stand and be proud." He smiled as he finished the quote. He imagined the tanned childish boy cheering for him with a charming smile. 
 
"Thank you, Jongin." 
 
At first impression, it was hard for Kyungsoo to believe that Jongin was younger than him. The olive skin boy that stood before him, serious, charismatic and expressionless, could not have been 19. Kyungsoo greeted him with a wide smile, hoping to crack the awkwardness, and in the split moment that Jongin returned a smile, Kyungsoo could see the truth. Jongin was naive and reminiscient of a kid who just got into a new school. He almost had two personas: the silent charismatic 19 year old and the bashful yet playful kid. Both of which were too precious to endanger.
 
Kyungsoo groaned at the thought of losing his friends. He could help them a lot in the war but his weakness wasn't allowing him to. He hated it. He hated how he himself was such a hazard. For his friends. For himself.
 
Thick eyebrows furrowed at the center of his forehead and his lips curled down. He buried his face in his hands, letting the thoughts dig into his mind. Urgh, this is annoying. He opened the lighter once more to entrance himself with the fire.
 
In the tiny moment of wanting escape, Kyungsoo lost the grip on his powers and it activated. First, he heard the light ting of metal detaching from metal. His large black eyes widened as he watched the metal lid soar through the air, falling a few metres into the dark forest. The lighter remained on, exposing the registered shock on his face. He jumped to his feet and gaped at the broken lighter. Suddenly the cold forest felt like burning coals. 
 
"Holy he's going to kill me. Oh my god Chanyeol will kill me."

Kyungsoo dashed into the trees to locate the top half of the phoenix. He kept his eyes trained on the floor, hoping to catch a glimpse of the metal reflection. His heart pounded in his ears.

If Chanyeol finds out, this forest is done for. Grim thoughts passed his mind as time passed. 

It was rare for the happy Matoki to be provoked but the uncontrolled power he held reacted to the least bit of anger he felt. Something like his precious lighter would surely cause him to ignite and burn down everything within a mile radius. In those cases, only two people would be able to calm him down. One of them was light years away. 

He combed his hands through the dead leaves briskly. There was no sign of the lighter lid. He knelt to the ground for a closer look. The moon barely peered through the trees to help. He would have to rely on touch alone. 

Suddenly a rustle came from the bushes behind him. Kyungsoo froze. In the back of his mind, he believed that Chanyeol would pop out of nowhere to deliver an early death. The twigs shook as whatever it was passed by. Kyungsoo didn't turn around. It could have been anybody or anything. A human. An animal. The sound of leaves came again, closer this time, and the hairs on his neck stood. He bit his lower lip, getting ready to jump and defend if need be. Finally, it was here. 

A hand landed on his shoulder. Panicked, Kyungsoo flung his arm back and pushed away as hard as he could. Hand met chest and he could feel his strength shoot up in an instant. The body flew back, crashing into a tree on it's descent. 

"Oof." It exclaimed. 

Kyungsoo recognized the voice immediately. 

"Holy- Suho!" Kyungsoo ran towards his leader, guilt coursing through his veins. 

Suho groaned and clutched his lower waist. It was already injured from a previous incident and bruised. Having been the primary source of impact, waves of dizziness and nausea were swirling around. His lower back was feeling numb. The crash felt like smashing into a brick wall.

"What the hell are you doing in the middle of the night?" He asked, face twisted with pain.

Kyungsoo stayed silent as guilt washed over him. He couldn't bear to give answers or excuses.

"I'm sorry." Was all he could mutter n

Sensing the building discomfort in his junior, Suho stifled a moan and managed a weak smile.

"It's good to know your reflexes haven't diminished." He halfheartedly joked. 

It was a bad attempt at optimism, which was Suho's specialty. It didn't always work.

Kyungsoo stiffened and stood. There it was again. The empathy.

"This isn't funny."

He turned and ran deeper into the forest until Suho's calls were nothing but a memory.