The Boy On The Bed

Survival (haitus?)

The Exotic responsible for the power outage giggled silently at his work as he walked through the camp.

Sneaking into places was simple with his powers. Camouflage tasks were his forte. By reflecting the light around him, often times, Baekhyun had the guise of being invisible. However, by completely eliminating the light in the camp, he barely had to do anymore work other than the actual rescue.

He walked down each hall with confidence. At the slightest sound, he stuck himself to the wall and waited for whatever it was to pass. His plan was to be smooth and safe.

Meeting with a fork in the hallway, Baekhyun glanced at each direction. Before weighing his options again, he slumped onto the wall and groaned.

Decisions. He was never good at them.

That's why Suho did most of the work in their group, much to Baekhyun's guilt.

Usually, decisions were easy to choose. Whichever was more morally correct would be the answer, but what if the choice was balanced? Then what?

Baekhyun looked up once more at his options; left, right, or straight.

Only one of these roads would lead to his friend. His younger friend, who had helped Baekhyun to escape the humans.

Sehun was, in a lot of aspects, more stronger than the older ones. His personality dominated and demanded attention. His perfectionist quirks only made him more determined. Despite being the youngest, his abilities were strong and almost indespensable in battle. They matched him well.

Baekhyun sighed as he weighed his head down. Sometimes he wished his powers weren't so like him. Useless in a fight.

Finally guessing on a direction, he stood and ran straight ahead. After passing room after empty room, the sound of human voices came closer. With no nearby rooms, he did what his powers allowed him to do. Camouflage.

He projected the light behind him to in front so the illusion of invisiblity would appear. His red-brown hair slowly turned into a dark green, matching the color and texture of the tent behind him. His beige jacket and white pants also slowly changed. Officially, nobody would be able to see him. However, he would have to make sure not to touch anybody. As he pressed himself against the tent walls, the humans came closer. Baekhyun filtered the light in his brown eyes, allowing him to see the incoming white robed figures pushing a stretcher as clear as day. Three were manuevering the stretcher and one in the front took occasional worried glances back. 

As they rushed past, Baekhyun strained his neck to steal a quick glance at the one lying on the stretcher, half expecting to see a familiar face. Instead, he saw somebody else he knew. For a moment, he couldn't believe his eyes.

Slowly, the group proceeded along, unaware that Baekhyun had begun to follow them from behind. He returned to the previous separated hallway and they turned left, rushing down another row of rooms.

The body in the stretcher started to stir awake. The shorter human leading the group angrily muttered as he halted the walk. He flipped through his pad and jot down a few numbers. 

", the anesthesia is wearing off faster than expected. Give it a second dose. We're nearly there." He instructed the other three who quickly administered a clear liquid to the waking body.

Baekhyun winced as the needle dug into the skin. He was never one for sharp  objects. Or pain. 

Even visualizing it made him cringe. 

The boy in the stretcher regained his sleep and the group continued, unsuspecting Baekhyun's silent watch.


Sehun woke up immediately unpleasant and aggravated. It was never a good feeling to be chained unwillingly to a bed. He looked down at his clothes.

A mess.

Annoyed, he blew at the dust and a stronger gush of wind ruffled down his clothes. When the dust finally settled, Sehun took inventory of his room. 

A single bed which he was chained to in the middle. A beeping machine to his left that was connected to his forearm with wires. An IV drip beside his bed, also attached to his arm. The door was stationed to his right. A series of machines, the wall in front of him lined wih medicine cabinets and a cart full of medical supplies was all that adorned the room.

Sehun looked at each object he could see with distaste, which was not much considering the darkness of the room. A chill crawled down his spine continuously as he eyed a knife on the cart. He then realized he surprisingly was not injured. That is, he was not injured yet.

The only likeable aspect of the room was it's neatness and the disinfectant smell in the air. 

The door flapped open and two Lowers in white robes strode in along with an overpowering smell of medication. The female Lower studied the machines closely and wrote down information. The male Lower walked over to Sehun's figure. In a reflex, Sehun clasped his eyes shut and pretended to still be asleep.

He was determined to remain calm despite the questions and anger that circles his mind endlessly. In such situations, recklessness never bore fruit. 

"Quiet impossible to imagine, isn't it? That aliens existed, for one, and that they  look so much like us?" The male spoke aloud. 

"Makes them all the more dangerous, if you ask me." The female retorted while still staring at the machine. 

The male reached for Sehun's head and slowly parted his brown hair with a finger.  Sehun fought at the urge to gag at the man's touch and stayed silent.  He clenched his teeth as the desire to break the man's fingers gnawed at him. 

"I wonder if all the other aliens are as beautiful as this one. The other specimen in ward 6 is also a bit of a looker." Cooed the man.

The woman shrugged and flipped the papers on her clipboard. She nodded repeatedly and scribbled scratchy notes. The man, hands clasped behind his back, studied Sehun's white clothes while pacing.

To Sehun, it felt like they had studied him for ages. He refused to give them any indication that he was alive. His heartbeat slowed as time passed, growing more and more used to the peculiar situation. Suddenly, the woman snapped her clipboard shut and reached for a syringe filled with a clear liquid.

"He's ready for Observations." She stated and approached Sehun's left arm with the needle primed and ready. 

Something about her tone convinced Sehun that 'observations' was not a name for 'fun and freedom'. He wanted to jump up and run out before anything more could happen but curiousity held him back. He had to know what 'Observations' meant. 

He felt the cold tip of the needle puncture his skin and his body shivered as the cooling anesthesia began it's work. His brain alarmed him, warning his conscience that the next time it woke up, he would be exposed to a whole new world, that nothing good could come from being drugged. But the sleep tugged at him and his brain was lulled to a calm. His eyes remained shut involuntarily. 

His dreams were calming. They didn't have a war or a strange room with Lowers in it. They were memories. Memories of him frolicking around a park, flying for the first time with the applause of his classmates and friends. Of when their little band of friends was formed. All 12 of them. And his fun, fooling around sessions with his best friend, Luhan, and all the stupid gimmicks they pulled on their leaders. Then there were the peaceful moments of just sitting around, reading, strumming the guitar while others spoke in a foreign language. Laughing. Joking around. 

The images fazed out and everything turned black once more. Sehun's eyes fluttered open slowly this time. Bright light filtered through and blinded him temporarily, although this brightness didn't compare with Baekhyun's.

For a second, he couldn't process where he was. For a second, he forgot that he had woken Baekhyun up a while ago and was trapped by the Lowers with him. For a second, he forgot that he had decided that it was best for him to get captured than the weaker fragile Baekhyun. For a second, he was still happily watching Luhan solve a rubik cube. 

The reality came crashing down once more and Sehun grimly wished he hadn't woken up. 

Differently from before, he was not on a bed, chained. He was sprawled on the floor of an empty large room. The room had a yellow tinge from the lights and a smooth metalic wall. Occasional square panels dotted the side walls and a speaker was located in the top right corner. One side was fully glass, looking into a dark room that Sehun could barely see. They were definitely not in tents anymore. 

Slowly, he stood up while scanning the room. At one corner of the room was a large rectangular shape that resembled and door but with no handles. The 'door' had a thin stream of air flowing in and out of its gaps. 

"What the hell!?" He muttered, running his hands hurriedly along the walls.

His voice was raspier than he had remembered. How long had he been out?

Now he had a strange sense of urgency and panic. He disliked being confined in boxes. It wasn't the claustrophobia that he detested. It was the loss of freedom. It made him feel caged and imprisoned, something that would happen to all Exotics if they lost this war.

There was movement in the dark adjoining room. He peered his eyes to see but couldn't make out the figure. Moving closer to the glass wall, he cupped his hands to his eyes to look through the glass. The two Lowers that were studying him before stood there again. Like before, the female was busying herself with machines while the male stared intently at Sehun. He followed the boy's movements like a hawk. His stare sent Sehun moving back and away.

He was still confused as to why he was there. Who were these Lowers? What did they want? Where was he? Where were his friends?

Suddenly, the speaker buzzed to life. A smooth voice took over the room's silence. 

"Specimen 2. We would like to see a display of your abilities. Perform this test to the best of your ability."

Sehun's mind blew with confusion. Humans knew about Exotics abilities? Since when? In the Exoplanet history textbooks on Lowers, underlined that the humans were clueless about the existence of Exotics.

And why did they want to see his abilites? They definitely did not deserve to be in the presence of his powers. Their puny lives would be blown away, literally.

He glared at the speaker then sharply turned to stare at the dark room beyond the glass. He still couldn't see the two Lowers properly but he knew they were there. Watching him.

He refused to be a guinea pig. 

"No." He defiantly stated. His skinny arms went rigid with determination. 

"We have no time for this, Specimen 2. Properly demonstrate your abilties or we will have to use force." The voice rebuzzed more serious.

Sehun shook his head with a small smirk. There was nothing they could do to force his powers out of him. He may have been the youngest but he was in no way the weakest among his friends. He might even be the mentally strongest.

There was no reply from the speaker. Perhaps they realized it was futile, he wondered while aimlessly walking about the room. He could feel the air around him and was silently searching for gaps where the air would escape from. He stopped in front of a door-like panel and scrutinized the edges. He could feel the air shifting around the area.

Then, the panel buzzed open.