SIX

Company.

 

Once the bell went, signaling the midday break, Donghae bowed hastily to his trainer and ran round the corner to the common room, hoping to get there before the girls from Girls’ Generation. He looked around for Jonghyun and spotted him in a corner play-wrestling with Minho.

“Hey, Jonghyun, what’s up with Hyoyeon?” Donghae questioned. He had noticed that Hyoyeon was behaving differently, very unlike how she used to. He was certain that something happened, and that she did not want to talk about it, considering how she’s masking it behind a grand façade. But he needed to know. She was, after all, his friend. But asking her directly would be of no use. Knowing Hyoyeon, he could predict how she would deny his accusations. His best bet was Jonghyun.

“Nothing much. She’s really excited to be here though,” Jonghyun replied, all the while keeping his eyes fixated on Minho, on guard against any sudden attack. “I can’t believe she’s actually here! Without prior notice, she said she wanted to surprise me. She must have planned so hard for this!”

“Are you sure she’s happy here? I’ve been seeing her around with the other girls. She’s definitely all smiles, but her smiles don’t look genuine.” Donghae didn’t want to burst his friend’s bubble but did not know of another way to bring the issue up.

Jonghyun stopped trying to wrestle Minho. “What do you mean her smiles don’t look genuine?”

“I don’t know. She seems happy, but I can tell it’s forced. I mean, I’ve known her for years; I can tell there’s something behind that smile of hers. I just don’t know what.”

Onew joined the conversation. “I saw her at the bus stop yesterday. She was…” he paused, unsure about whether to go on. He shrugged at the rest of Shinee’s eyebrow wriggling. He turned back to Jonghyun and, seeing the look of confusion on the latter’s face, he decided to just let the cat out of the bag. “She was crying.”

“SHE WHAT?!” Jonghyun and Donghae stared at Onew in disbelief. “Why?”

“I don’t know. She claimed that it was nothing, and I didn’t press further, considering how I don’t know her that well yet. But it was definitely weird; you don’t just start crying for no apparent reason, do you?”

“Why would she be crying?” Jonghyun muttered.

“The last time I spoke to her over the phone before she came to SM, she was so excited, said she managed to secure a role on some famous play. And that was just last week. What could have had happened in the past week?” Donghae wondered aloud.

“Yeah, she told me about the play too – wait a minute. No. This can’t be. She wouldn’t be that evil. She wouldn’t.”

“What can’t be? Who wouldn’t be evil?”

“Amber!” Jonghyun ignored Onew’s question and called out to the girl who was already in the room.

“Yeah, oppa?”

“Your dad works at the dance school, doesn’t he?” without waiting for an answer, he asked another question. “Can you please call him now and ask him who the teacher in charge of the referrals to the various record companies?”

“Now? What for? Do I have to? I don’t think we should trouble him at this time of the day,” Amber asked bewilderedly, glancing at her watch. Upon seeing Jonghyun’s hardened gaze, she quickly conceded. “Okay.”

As he watched Amber put her phone to her ear, Jonghyun prayed fervently that his suspicions were wrong. It had better not be true, Hyoyeon, please, don’t let it be true.

“Oppa? Oppa!” Jonghyun snapped out of his trance. “Gosh, were you daydreaming? Daddy says the teacher is Mrs. Park Hae Mi.”

Crunch! Jonghyun squeezed his empty drink can and threw it against the wall. Burying his head in his hands, he muttered over and over again, “Hyoyeon, why are you so stupid?”

Everyone in the room turned towards the commotion. They’ve never seen Jonghyun like that. Loud, noisy, cheerful yes. Angry, no. The Shinee members were exceptionally worried. Something really bad must have happened.

“Keep your ears peeled,” Kyuhyun whispered to Ryeowook. The reason behind Heechul’s tension with Hyoyeon may be revealed soon.

Just then, the nine girls walked in, chattering excitedly and munching on a bag of cookies. The people in the room studied Hyoyeon’s behavior. It looked normal, but who were they to say what normal was? They didn’t know what she was like before. Upon hearing his sister’s voice, Jonghyun stood up. He took a few deep breaths before stomping to the giggly group of girls.

“We need to talk.” Jonghyun said in a clipped voice, dragging Hyoyeon by her arm. Hyoyeon’s eyes widened, shocked by the severity in Jonghyun’s voice and mouthed “What’s going on?” to Donghae.

“I don’t know!” Donghae mouthed back, lifting his hands up upturned. The room was stunned silent as they watched the mini procession out of the room.

The still spell was broken once the door slammed close. The other trainees ran quickly towards the door, trying to get a spot close enough so they can eavesdrop on the happenings outside.