FOUR

Company.

 

It was about 10 at night when Onew left the company after taking a quick shower. He had managed to squeeze in 17 reps of weight training in between dance sessions despite the welcome ceremony and he felt really satisfied with his performance despite the fact that his arms were a little sore. He made his way to the bus stop where he would wait for his brother, Eunhyuk who takes the same bus as him.

Oh, is Eunhyuk hyung dismissed early today? Or did I take too long coming out? Jonghyun was puzzled when he saw a silhouette at the bus stop. Usually, the only people at the bus stop at this late hour on a weekday would be him and Eunhyuk. He ran across the street, not wanting to make his older brother wait for him.

He parted his lips to call out to Eunhyuk but skidded to a stop before the words could come out. Eunhyuk wasn’t there. But Hyoyeon was. Onew pat his shirt down and combed his fingers through his hair nervously, wanting to leave a good impression, keeping his eyes on the girl all the time.

But, what’s this? He watched in horror as a tear slid down Hyoyeon’s face. And another. And one more. Why was she crying?

He dug out a packet of tissues and made his way over. Unsure of what to do once he was there, he held the Kleenex out towards Hyoyeon. “Hi, my name’s Onew. You look like you need some of these.”

Hearing the voice, Hyoyeon snapped out of her trance, smiled, and took it gratefully. She wiped the tears off and mouthed the words “thank you”, afraid that her tears would continue falling should she speak.  

“What’s the matter? Are you alright?” Onew asked awkwardly. He had never been thrown into such a situation before and it felt like a landmine. He needed to watch where he treaded, because one wrong move and everything’s over.

Hyoyeon took a deep breath and nodded. She moved over so Onew had space on the bench to sit on. Trying to relieve the uncomfortable atmosphere, she asked, “Where are you going?”

“Home. I guess that’s where you’re going too right? Where do you live?”

“At the borders of Seoul and Incheon,” replied Hyoyeon. She stretched her entire body and yawned. “Please excuse me. I’m really, really tired now, today had been a totally surreal experience,” she continued sheepishly.

Onew smiled to show that he didn’t mind. It’s kind of cute, actually, the way she stretches. And she lives near Seoul? Maybe I could take the bus with her. I’m sure Eunhyuk hyung wouldn’t mind travelling alone for just one day.

“You’re taking bus service 2 right? I’ll take it with you.” Onew announced. “It’s on the way anyway.”

“Oh, really? Where do you come from?” asked Hyoyeon out of curiosity.

I live really far away, so I live at my aunt’s house here in Seoul on weekdays.” Onew replied.

He regretted suggesting taking the bus together almost immediately. The two of them sat next to each other with no interaction whatsoever. There was nothing to talk about. They were just two strangers. Aish, you and your impulsivity. You should have planned this whole thing out before you did anything. He mentally chided himself. But what’s done is done and there was nothing he could do about it. He would just have to play it by ear.

After a short while, the bus came. The duo made their way up the bus. Hyoyeon dropped a couple of coins into the fare machine and told the driver where she was going. “Uh, miss? You’re 40 cents short,” the driver told her.

Hyoyeon couldn’t believe her dumb luck. She started digging in her pockets for more coins. Out of the corner of her eye, she saw an arm reach out to drop some coins into the machine. She turned to see Onew who just gestured to her to take a seat. This is the second time this person helped me today. He must be an angel.

After paying his own fare, Onew came to sit with Hyoyeon. He watched as her lids closed slowly and her fighting to keep them open. “Why don’t you catch some sleep?” he suggested.

Hyoyeon shook her head. “I’m pretty deep a sleeper. If I fell asleep, I’d definitely miss my stop.”

“Don’t worry, where do you have to get off? I’ll wake you up.”                                            

“”Nahh, it’s okay. You live in Seoul right? I’m getting off after the big flyover. You’ll have to alight before me.” Hyoyeon rejected the idea sensibly.

“It’s alright, I… I have to run some errands for my sister anyway,” Onew said lamely, unable to think of another excuse. What sister? “So really, get some rest. I promise I’ll wake you up.”

Hyoyeon studied the boy. He seemed earnest enough, and he was quite cute too. Not at all like some bad guys she had heard about from ballet friends who’d tried to frighten her into staying in ballet. She felt her eyelids closing again. Maybe Onew’s right. She really could use some sleep. “Okay then, thanks for the offer.” She arranged herself comfortably on the seat and closed her eyes.

A few seconds later, the tired girl was fast asleep. Onew watched her chest heave up and down gently, aware that they were breathing in tandem. He removed his jacket and covered her with it – she must be cold in her sleeveless blouse – making sure that he does not wake her up.

This is bliss.

Hyoyeon parted her lips subconsciously and Onew noticed immediately.She must be one of those girls who sleeptalks. He leaned in to hear what she had to say. But her words hit him hard in the guts, dousing the fire in his heart.

“Joon oppa.”