FIVE

Company.

 

Heechul slumped in a corner, unaware of the intent stares radiating from his friends’ eyes. He was having a hard time grasping reality. He had only prayed for one thing all his life, and that thing was that the 4 year old girl he encountered on the streets some many years ago would never again appear before him.

I can’t believe she’s here. At least she hasn’t noticed me yet. Maybe she doesn’t recognize me.

He wanted so badly to forget that incident, to remove all memories of that poor child, to wipe his slate dry. Most of the time he succeeded; but the times he didn’t, he found himself wondering how the girl was living, and how she looked like years later. And now, he has seen for himself. He was thankful for how her life had turned out, relieved that his worst nightmares weren’t reflective of reality. He hadn’t destroyed all her chances at life after all.

She’s grown. Grown to be a fine young lady.

And what was it that President Lee said she had? Brilliant achievements, that’s right.

Heechul remembered that night clearly. That young, pitiful girl, waiting by the side of the road for her brother; the girl that couldn’t tell him where her parents were. Her ignorance was what prompted him to tip over, to do what he did that fateful night.

Her name’s Hyoyeon. That’s a nice name. Funny how I never thought of finding out her name.

Maybe if he did, he would have found out that Jonghyun’s her brother. He could have come up with a list of lies to feed Jonghyun, excuses to mask his cruel wrongdoings. Now that he was in the same company as she, he had to be on his guard at all times, to make sure that nothing slips out of his lips.

But I didn’t. And now she’s here.

Hyoyeon’s here. And Heechul was worried. He was worried that the girl might recognize him, that justice would be served, worried about the consequences he would have to face. But more so, he was fearful that she wouldn’t recognize him, that she will never know that it was all his fault. She might think that he was a nice person, someone she could trust in this institution, but never know how he is guilty of causing her grief and taking away many of her prospects with just one simple, convoluted act.

Heechul sighed. Why did history have to creep up and smack you over the head when you least expect it?

 

 

 

 

Author’s note: Okay, so this is a really short unplanned chapter because I realized that Heechul hasn’t had many parts in the story yet and he IS an important character who deserves much more. It might not make much sense now, but I don’t have a clear idea as to where the Heechul part of this story will go yet.

Anyway, please do comment okay, I need to know that people are reading this. The next update’s coming really soon (I promise it’ll be better written than this)!